Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH (2876 Views)

Dr. John Hagee: Women Who Call God’s Name During Sex Should Be Jailed / What Special Name Do You Call God? / What Do Arab Christians Call God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 25, 2013
Ijele-igbo:
That men may know that you, whose name alone is
JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth.
Psalm 83 vs 18

JEHOVAH also means LORD!!!

please prove the bolded.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 25, 2013
Mighty Sparrow: jehovah witnesses people are confused. The Bible says out of two or three witnesses (not JW) the truth shall be established. I have heard this verse over and over again, the reasonable thing to follow is that you cannot build a doctrine around a verse of the Bible. What happens to the other names God was known with before the Name Jehovah?

who said that that was the only verse the name appeared?

which name was He known with before Jehovah?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 25, 2013
Lilimax:
It is true that we should not judge ...But any doctrine or belief that is contrary to the
Word of God (the Holy Bible) is heresy and should be rejected in totality.

I still have my reservations with Jehova Witnesses undecided

The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom (1Corinthians 1:25)

We believe the bolded more than you do.

So, lets start. are you saying that YHWH is not his name? waiting...
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 25, 2013
Lilimax: Stop analysing the scripture using human wisdom?

Jesus is Lord period and there is no controversy

his reply was to the person who said that YHWH also means Lord. is that what you believe? your answer...
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Emusan:

Na them sabi,
*why they didn't choose JEALOUS? because it places God as a man.
*why they didn't choose I Am? because Jesus also said I Am

So I used all the names of God; be Jehovah, I Am, Jealous(in provocative prayer) but conscience of biaslism won't allow some people to use other name.

Not "I am" BUT "I am who I am". Ex. 3:14 NIV. Dont remove one "I am" nor remove the "who", if not, you are no longer talking about the name.

I wonder where you saw jealous as a name.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Emusan:

Na them sabi,
*why they didn't choose JEALOUS? because it places God as a man.
*why they didn't choose I Am? because Jesus also said I Am

So I used all the names of God; be Jehovah, I Am, Jealous(in provocative prayer) but conscience of biaslism won't allow some people to use other name.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2013
Lilimax:

Can't you make your arguement without being insultive?

However, Jehova means the same thing as Lord.

So sarah called abraham her "I am who I am"? ur answer.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by edogho(m): 12:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
@Jman, Would've commented buh saw ur post and stepped aside cos I do believe u're up to the task. Some dudes go about believing everytin they see on d internet. See dat dude that quoted from catholic.com,read that before buh its so untrue. who says jehovah is Latin and from the Catholics? Do Latin-Americans pronounce the name as such? Abi u nah knw say yoruba ppl dey call and spell am as JEHOFA? Jman, just finish d job. I'll b watching.
Gracias
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
Acidosis:

Educate yourself, bro..
Stop fighting to bind us together even while we are totally different..

The Mormons preach Jesus is the brother of Lucifer and was a man who became God.

The Jehovah Witnesses preach Jesus was not God but claim he was Michael the arch angel.

Roman Catholicism preaches a Jesus that was unable to purge all sin or pay the complete penalty for sin.

Besides, Jehovah's witnesses do not believe in the HELL FIRE your Jesus warned you about.

If I want to live my life based on Jehovah's witness understanding, I'll just go about killing people.. (afterall there is no hell).
The good and the bad people would end up enjoying life after death..
wow..! cheesy

JW never said they are the same with christendom. God's house can never be divided like that. never!!!

the bolded shows that you serve God out of fear for hellfire. JWs serve God out of love, even though knowing that the evil will not experience eternal torment. we plead that you start to love God bro, not out of fear of eternal punishment.

The wicked will be destroyed while the righteous will leave forever. that is the wages of sin, namely, DEATH, everlasting death.

2thes. 1:9
" 9 These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength."

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
lacum: In Hebrew the name of God is spelled YHWH.
Since ancient Hebrew had no written vowels, it
is uncertain how the name was pronounced
originally, but there are records of the name
in Greek, which did have written vowels. These
records indicate that in all likelihood the name
should be pronounced "Yahweh."
Shortly before the first century A.D., it
became common for Jews to avoid saying the
divine name for fear of misusing it and
breaking the second commandment ("You shall
not take the name of the Lord, your God, in
vain," Dt 5:11). Whenever they read Scripture
aloud and encountered the divine name, they
substituted another Hebrew word,
"Adonai" (which means "Lord" or "my Lord"wink,
in its place.
Eventually Hebrew developed written vowels,
which appeared as small marks called vowel
points and were placed above and below the
consonants of a word. In the sixth or seventh
century some Jews began to place the vowel
points for "Adonai" over the consonants for
"Yahweh" to remind the reader of Scripture to
say "Adonai" whenever he read "Yahweh."
About the 13th century the term "Jehovah"
appeared when Christian scholars took the
consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it
with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in
the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized
spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of
this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican
monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.
Interestingly, this fact is admitted in much
Jehovah's Witness literature, such as their Aid
to Bible Understanding (p. 885). This is
surprising because Jehovah's Witnesses loathe
the Catholic Church and have done everything
in their power to strip their church of traces
of Catholicism. Despite this, their group's very
name contains a Catholic "invention," the
name "Jehovah."
Jehovah's Witnesses blast orthodox
Christendom for "hiding the name of God" by
replacing "Jehovah" with "the Lord" whenever
"Jehovah" appears in Scripture. They charge
this is a Jewish "superstition" that dishonors
God (which it does not). Yet their own
organization has a name that was invented as a
result of [size=16pt]the same thinking that produced use
of "the Lord."[/size]
www.catholic.com

The criticism is on the use of the name in the bible NOT the pronunciation(from the context of that article, am i right?).

catholic invented it? well, carry Jerusalem bible and the NWT and see who were faithful in using the name in their translation. or compare with any orthodox translation. its your job. that justifies the criticism. it is there monk who produce a way the name could be pronounced in another language. He didnt invent the name.

You say, it doesnt dishonor God? that He said His name is something and you go and replaced the name because of superstition, and you have the mouth to say 'it is not wrong'? The creator's name in His own written word? You no dey fear face? be careful dude!!! Go and ask for forgiveness bros. that statement is wrong.

And who told you that it was the same thinking (superstition) that produce the name Jehovah? People for nairaland sound funny at times. o' boy, go and rest abeg.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
Mighty Sparrow:

WHY THEN ARE THE JW WILL NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO REST CLAIMING THAT JEHOVAH IS THE ONLY NAME RECOGNIZED BY GOD?

nope, others are titles. cleared?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2013
the only reason why jw call God jehovah is because they worship the god of israel and not the God of the universe
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 2:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof: the only reason why jw call God jehovah is because they worship the god of israel and not the God of the universe

What's your problem? There is only one God young man. The God of Israel, the God in the bible is the God of this universe. He created the Heavens, this universe, you and me plus all that is in it...
If you don't believe this truth I'm sorry....
I don't know what else to tell you but only pray God shows you the light to know the truth
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof: the only reason why jw call God jehovah is because they worship the god of israel and not the God of the universe

I ve been ignoring your comment cos I dont really understand you.

What point do you want to make? is the God almighty of the bible not the real God? please clarify and give reasons.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Emusan(m): 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
JMAN05:

Not "I am" BUT "I am who I am". Ex. 3:14 NIV. Dont remove one "I am" nor remove the "who", if not, you are no longer talking about the name.

[size=14pt]I wonder where you saw jealous as a name.[/size]

See you I Am means "Me" now if you want to understand it better "Me that is Me" this simply means beside God no one again.
And Jesus said "....before Abraham was..."Me"...."

@bold-Bro read Exodus 34:14
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
JMAN05:

I ve been ignoring your comment cos I dont really understand you.

What point do you want to make? is the God almighty of the bible not the real God? please clarify and give reasons.

yahweh is god of moutains which Israel was devoted to not the supreme god of the universe
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Emusan:

See you I Am means "Me" now if you want to understand it better "Me that is Me" this simply means beside God no one again.
And Jesus said "....before Abraham was..."Me"...."

@bold-Bro read Exodus 34:14

I dont know where to start. many nairalanders make me sick. bringing little little point.

My point is: God didnt say His name is just "I am" BUT "I am who I am" OR "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be". ex. 3:14.

that word doesnt mean ME, but it is a hebrew verb, meaning "to become" or "prove to be". compare with Rotherham.

That is just the meaning of the name Jehovah, namely, that God will become whatever he pleases to accomplish His purposes/promises. The "I am" or "to become" appeared twice to emphasize that He will become whoever He pleases to accomplish His will. If you remove one "I am" in that statement, you are no longer talking about the name. You are talking about another thing all together.

Jesus was not stating that his name is I am who I am (it never occured twice for anybody except God). I dont know whether you guys understand bible at all. Do you even read the context of Jesus statement? the statement was in reference to age NOT name. habah!!!

that before abraham, he(Jesus) has been in existence.

If you say so, It then means that wherever the word "I am" appear in the bible, it is now talking about the Almighty. shey . nawaooo, God never said "I am" only, but "I am who I am". may God clear you guys' eyes. the thing is so blocked, blocked to blindness.

2. abro finish that verse na, that He is a jealous God. that is what that verse is saying, NOT that jealous has become a name to which you call God. I wander who referred to God as jealous in the bible before.

God demands exclusive devotion. not sharing worship with anyone. that is the message.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof:

yahweh is god of moutains which Israel was devoted to not the supreme god of the universe

is this biblical?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 4:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
JMAN05:

is this biblical?

the bible can be used to prove this
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 9:36pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof:

As you should know, God has so many names........... He is Yahweh, He is Jehovah and also God of this earth. if you doubt this, please tell me who is the God of this universe?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Rosieflower(f): 11:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
Acidosis:

Educate yourself, bro..
Stop fighting to bind us together even while we are totally different..

The Mormons preach Jesus is the brother of Lucifer and was a man who became God.

The Jehovah Witnesses preach Jesus was not God but claim he was Michael the arch angel.

Roman Catholicism preaches a Jesus that was unable to purge all sin or pay the complete penalty for sin.

Besides, Jehovah's witnesses do not believe in the HELL FIRE your Jesus warned you about.

If I want to live my life based on Jehovah's witness understanding, I'll just go about killing people.. (afterall there is no hell).
The good and the bad people would end up enjoying life after death..
wow..! cheesy
Sori datz nt wot d bible teaches nd d witnesses dnt teach dat. pls read d book of psalms 37:9-11 tnx
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Emusan(m): 7:21am On Nov 26, 2013
JMAN05:
2. bro finish that verse na, that He is a jealous God. that is what that verse is saying, NOT that jealous has become a name to which you call God. I wander who referred to God as jealous in the bible before.

What did I leave behind in that verse?
Blind fellow, I thought you know your Bible very well before ...mtcheeeee

NWT: Exo 34:14 "For you must not postrate yourself to other gods, [size=14pt]because Jehovah, whose name is jealous. Is a jealous God[/size]

Was Jehovah called jealous here or not?

God demands exclusive devotion. not sharing worship with anyone. that is the message

Who are you worshiping apart from God Almighty?
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:30am On Nov 26, 2013
Emusan:

What did I leave behind in that verse?
Blind fellow, I thought you know your Bible very well before ...mtcheeeee

NWT: Exo 34:14 "For you must not postrate yourself to other gods, [size=14pt]because Jehovah, whose name is jealous. Is a jealous God[/size]

Was Jehovah called jealous here or not?

Who are you worshiping apart from God Almighty?

Yes! The Bible recorded our God is a Jealous God!!
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Emusan(m): 7:50am On Nov 26, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

Yes! The Bible recorded our God is a Jealous God!!

I hope you didn't take my post as an abuse to Christian.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 8:33am On Nov 26, 2013
lacum: In Hebrew the name of God is spelled YHWH.
Since ancient Hebrew had no written vowels, it
is uncertain how the name was pronounced
originally, but there are records of the name
in Greek, which did have written vowels. These
records indicate that in all likelihood the name
should be pronounced "Yahweh."
Shortly before the first century A.D., it
became common for Jews to avoid saying the
divine name for fear of misusing it and
breaking the second commandment ("You shall
not take the name of the Lord, your God, in
vain," Dt 5:11). Whenever they read Scripture
aloud and encountered the divine name, they
substituted another Hebrew word,
"Adonai" (which means "Lord" or "my Lord"wink,
in its place.
Eventually Hebrew developed written vowels,
which appeared as small marks called vowel
points and were placed above and below the
consonants of a word. In the sixth or seventh
century some Jews began to place the vowel
points for "Adonai" over the consonants for
"Yahweh" to remind the reader of Scripture to
say "Adonai" whenever he read "Yahweh."
About the 13th century the term "Jehovah"
appeared when Christian scholars took the
consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it
with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in
the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized
spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of
this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican
monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.
Interestingly, this fact is admitted in much
Jehovah's Witness literature, such as their Aid
to Bible Understanding (p. 885). This is
surprising because Jehovah's Witnesses loathe
the Catholic Church and have done everything
in their power to strip their church of traces
of Catholicism. Despite this, their group's very
name contains a Catholic "invention," the
name "Jehovah."
Jehovah's Witnesses blast orthodox
Christendom for "hiding the name of God" by
replacing "Jehovah" with "the Lord" whenever
"Jehovah" appears in Scripture. They charge
this is a Jewish "superstition" that dishonors
God (which it does not). Yet their own
organization has a name that was invented as a
result of the same thinking that produced use
of "the Lord."
www.catholic.com

I have just one question for you.

Please, what is the meaning of the word Elijah ?

*Eli-'Jah'*

please, do tell me, am waiting.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 8:37am On Nov 26, 2013
tayooluwole:
ooooh my GOD!!!! Why do people based their contributns on incohate knowlege. Its nt as if Jehovah witness nvre beleive in hell, bt they beleive dat hell fire is nt forever as some oda doctrines claim... Whnever they(jehovah witness) approach u again, try to listen meticulously to every of their analysis so dat u dont go outside nd start fumbling again...ok

No, they dont believe in 'Hell fire'.

They teach that fire is a symbol of Yahweh's eternal destruction/oblitration.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 8:46am On Nov 26, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

The bible recorded the existence of Hell Fire.... But no one knows if it will last forever.... No doctrine or church no the actual truth of Hell Fire

The word 'Hell' is a pegan latin word that crept into the bible during translation to latin.

The bible writers are all Jews and the laguages used in writing the bible are:

OT = Hebrew language.
NT = Greel language.

Those two languages dont have the word 'Hell' in it.

Hence, the word hell and its meaning is foriegn to the Jews/bible writers.

The Idea of Hell is of the pegan latin people.

The word 'Hellfire' is not in the bible.

The word hell was used in translation to replace the word grave in the bible.

Peace
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by Emusan(m): 8:57am On Nov 26, 2013
truthislight:

The word 'Hell' is a pegan latin word that crept into the bible during translation to latin.

The bible writers are all Jews and the laguages used in writing the bible are:

OT = Hebrew language.
NT = Greel language.

Those two languages dont have the word 'Hell' in it.

Hence, the word hell and its meaning is foriegn to the Jews/bible writers.

The Idea of Hell is of the pegan latin people.

The word 'Hellfire' is not in the bible.

The word hell was used in translation to replace the word grave in the bible.

Peace

You're wrong!

The word hell as being used in both OT & NT is different.
In the OT=Grave (position of death)
In the NT=Hade (a brim of fire)

Anywhere hell appears in OT it means a position of death whereas in the NT it means brim of fire.
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by truthislight: 9:09am On Nov 26, 2013
Why did you do this ?

Emusan:

You're wrong!

The word hell as being used in both OT & NT is different.
In the OT=Grave (position of death)
In the NT=Hades (a brim of fire)

Anywhere hell appears in OT it means a position of death whereas in the NT it means brim of fire.

My concern was with the word 'Hell', i dont know the "wrong" you talked about.

However, the greek word Hedes means Grave.

And in translation to latin, it was replaced with Hell.

If you say otherwise you are on your own:

"He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell neither his flesh did see corruption." (Acts 2:31).

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 1:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
Ijele-igbo:

As you should know, God has so many names........... He is Yahweh, He is Jehovah and also God of this earth. if you doubt this, please tell me who is the God of this universe?

I'll like u to read up on canaanite religion.

Yahweh aka El Shaddai has been a pagan God wit little devotion. From the Bible we see that midian was his city of patronage before the nation of Israel.
Midian was occupied mainly by Kenites and Sons of Midian(One of Abraham's sons)

Other Gods were also worshipped in Israel at various times, Asherah/Athirat, El hadad(Baal), El berith who appeared in the Bible. Asherah is the Queen of heaven in the beliefs of the Canaanite region

Psalms 82:1 & 6 got me thinking and I researched outside the Bible for the true religion of Israel.

As u know Abraham left Haran for Canaan, he first dwelled on the mountains of Bethel and built a shrine to his new God- El Shaddai
If only u all read to understand ur Old testament properly, you'll see The god of israel being the God of mountains.

In Canaan before Israel and Syria took the land, El Elyon was the supreme God, the most high. Genesis 18-20, Deut 32:8 refers to Elyon(most high) as written in Hebrew Bible.
The Amorites(A canaanite nation) who lived on mountains were also devoted to Yahweh as the God of mountains and war.
In Israel close to the time of king Josiah, Yahweh was referral to "El" meaning the God(in reference of "The God of Israel"wink and the worship of Asherah was prevalent, making it seem Yahweh was the husband of Asherah and had taken El Elyon's place in the pantheon.
Originally Anat was the wife of Yahweh according to Ugarit(another Canaanite nation) text.

The confusion of today started when Israel were slaves in Babylon, at their return they proclaimed El Shaddai(known as Yahweh by Moses) as the only God of the world. Proclaiming Israel as the only nation of God this happened around 6th century BC. Before this time Yahweh was just one of numerous gods in the region.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaanite_religion
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenite
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh_(Canaanite_deity)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_(deity)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism_and_ancient_Egyptian_religion
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Elyon
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 1:27pm On Nov 26, 2013
truthislight:

I have just one question for you.

Please, what is the meaning of the word Elijah ?

*Eli-'Jah'*

please, do tell me, am waiting.

Eli- My God
Jah is actually Yah in reference to Yahweh

Elijah means Yahweh my God
Re: The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH by macof(m): 1:42pm On Nov 26, 2013
JMAN05:

who said that that was the only verse the name appeared?

which name was He known with before Jehovah?

In Israel their God's name is Yahweh
they find it offensive to call his name in vain and so they don't use that word in normal conversations.

The catholic church formed the name "Jehovah" while translating the Bible to English in respect for the Jews.

JHVH instead of YHWH. Hebrew consonant sounds of "Y" and "W" are transliterated to English as "J" and "V" respectively.
Exodus 6:3 is YHWH in Hebrew Bible

Yahweh according to wat we read in the Bible means I am that I am but it means something else to Jews

To fully decode names in the English Bible, you need the Hebrew Bible and good knowledge of Hebrew language

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out 2015 Prophecies By Prophet Wale Olagunju And Its Acccuracy / My Encounter With Jesus Christ And Conversion To Christianity:part2 / God Does Not Need Us; We Need Him - How Come He Created Us?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.