Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,447 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? (7179 Views)

Will you vote for Donald Trump for 5000$,black Americans react (snapshots) / African Americans Living And Doing Business In South Africa / Americans Looting At The Boston Marathon Venue After Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Ndipe(m): 1:30am On Jul 19, 2008
Perhaps there isnt any black nation in this world that is as wealthy as black americans living in the United States of America. A talk show hostess is reputed to be the wealthiest and most influential black woman in the world, her money earned through legitimate (by worldly standards) ways. Another black american is on the verge of capturing the democratic nomination, a dream that has eluded other races. Inspite of their accomplishments, there are some blacks whose lives and ideology reflect either an attitude of ungratefulness and a call for change. There is a black guy that I know of, whose conversations sometimes is inflamed by racial inequities, a view shared by some of his fellow comrades. But I gotta ask, "What of the Asians, Latinos, and other minorities"? Are they also complaining? Asians are respected for being academic braniacs, as much as they are mocked for being geeks. Latinos, long associated with fence jumping and a lackadaisical attitude towards education have also made inroads in the USA. Today, black americans can can people like oprah, bill cosby, earl graves, condi rice as a few of the numerous successful blacks in the nation. In the Entertainment field, blacks are represented in Hollywood, though complaints have persisted that it is a shallow representation.

Do you think blacks are justified in their grievances against racism, or are they just blowing it out of proportion?

Meanwhile, here is a link on the discussion on race.

http://theblackpoliticalreview./2008/07/03/cnn-black-in-america-40-years-ak-after-king/#comment-229
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 1:32am On Jul 19, 2008
A bit of both. Why
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Jakumo(m): 5:54am On Jul 19, 2008
While I earned my engineering degree in Southern California some moons ago, I noted that there were less than 5 blacks enrolled in the entire department, despite that education being FREE of charge to US citizens.  Asians, on the other hand, accounted for an easy 80% of the engineering department enrollment, with most of those students of Viet Nam, Filipino or Chinese origin.  Furthermore, those Asians were fanatical in their academic study regimes, with the result that it was rare to see them drop below an "A" grade-point average. 

Generally speaking, American blacks were practically non-existent on the education radar for the entire time I was enrolled in college, despite residing in many areas within the immediate vicinity of the college.  The few blacks that I noted around the campus generally gravitated to easy and worthless fields of study like sociology and physical education, so it is no wonder that a huge discrepancy exists in much of America between the earning power of Asians and black Americans.   

When it comes to whimpering about  the perceived injustices of American life, however, US-born blacks have elevated complaining over inequities to a fine art that is unmatched by any other demographic group residing in the United States. So, to offer my opinion on the premise set out by the poster of this thread, I would have to agree that US-born blacks statistically take very little advantage of the FREE educational opportunities available right in front of their noses, preferring instead to devote much precious time and energy raging about how the (white) MAN won't let them "get over" the poverty barrier, as they remain stuck in dead-end jobs, squandering what little disposable income they have on stylish clothes and fancy cars acquired with bank loans at extortionate interest rates.

1 Like

Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 5:57am On Jul 19, 2008
I can not wait to see CNN BLACKS IN AMERICA.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:03am On Jul 19, 2008
SeanT21:

I can not wait to see CNN BLACKS IN AMERICA.
Maybe you will actually "learn" something from it this time.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:13am On Jul 19, 2008
CH3COO:

Maybe you will actually "learn" something from it this time.

Please, Go back to your topic on the Sexuality thread. I always thought you were a Female or a male with female tendencies.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:14am On Jul 19, 2008
Is that because you're bi-curious? stop stalking me.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:17am On Jul 19, 2008
Do not blame it one me that you do not know your sex papi. Its not my fault. All You have to do is unzipped your pants and see your pussy
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:20am On Jul 19, 2008
SeanT21:

Do not blame it one me that you do not know your sex papi. Its not my fault. All You have to do is unzipped your pants and see your pussy

What if it's not there, do i get to see yours?  we can't tell your boyfriend Quit calling me papi, you sound like a ho.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:22am On Jul 19, 2008
Are You stuck in the house all day?

U need to get around and meet people. You sound Desperate. Always chasing me on nairaland. I DO NOT WANT YOU!!
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:24am On Jul 19, 2008
SeanT21:

Are You stuck in the house all day?

You need to get around and meet people. You sound Desperate. Always chasing me on nairaland. I DO NOT WANT YOU!!
LOL! Liberia! Am I drooling over your grammatical blunders or your body odour?  What is there to want in you?
Don't forget yesterday you were shouting that "you like me" . I don't bite. If you ar going to cheat on your boyfriend with me, do it carefully.
It is almost midnight.  Where else do you expect me to be besides the house?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:28am On Jul 19, 2008
Keep on drooling. Make sure you sleep with your mouth close.

Anytime I make a topic or reply to one, You are always there. I reply to this topic, You are there. I mean CMON, Do you have a life?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:30am On Jul 19, 2008
grin You must be honest with your feelings.  Stop getting wet over the thought of my posts and quit derailing the topic.  Come to my chatroom https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-152497.96.html if you want to apply to win a date with me. Until then go suck your thumb and let the thread breathe.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:32am On Jul 19, 2008
I DO NOT WANT YOU. I have a man. Go find yourself a girl or a boy
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:33am On Jul 19, 2008
SeanT21:

I DO NOT WANT YOU. I have a man. Go find yourself a girl or a boy
Keep telling yourself that. Psychology says it will sink in one day.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:34am On Jul 19, 2008
I hope the fact That You are a Girl will sink in too.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:36am On Jul 19, 2008
If you prefer to think I'm a girl when we do it.  I don't know what kind of crazy fetish fulfills your desire.  Works for me. are you done yet? can't stop chasing me about
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:38am On Jul 19, 2008
I am speechless.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by SeanT21(f): 6:40am On Jul 19, 2008
I gotta go for now. I hope You fufill your desires on Someone else or just jack off alone
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 6:40am On Jul 19, 2008
SeanT21:

I am speechless.

Is my lipsrsealed in your mouth? You being speechless is a first.

Come on let's chat me me on my forum, stop killing this thread.

SeanT21:

I gotta go for now. I hope You fufill your desires on Someone else or just jack off alone
Alone, when I have your mouth tongue

run to bed before your mom wakes up and flogs you.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by birdman(m): 10:02am On Jul 19, 2008
Jakumo, way to paint all AAs with such a broad brush angry. Contrary to what you say, a large swathe of AAs have jumped into the upper and middle class in the last decade in spite of the "news" you are being fed. I find it (almost) funny that no one berates other americans for wasting money on expensive country clubs, getting mortgages they cant afford, spending money they dont have, but as soon as it comes to the black man, everyone want to magnify the bad.

My view: Many of their grievances are justified. Incidentally, other minorities, including the Asians you speak about also get the short end of the stick. They may not be as vocal as AAs,but it is more of a cultural choice than a purposeful intent to not whine. Step out of Cali and other metropolitan cities some time and live for a while in "middle america". Everything from getting meaningful paying jobs to loans is a hassle
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by tpia: 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2008
People's views of America/African Americans are influenced by where they live.

Jakumo must have schooled in a majority white area.

And yes, Asians are high achievers in the US. The demographics are very high in all the professional fields. Quite impressive, really.

A lot of AAs are middle to upper class, but a huge number are also lower income. Many Nigerians in the US tend to live among the lower income AAs (ie the Nigerians living in black neighborhoods). So that shapes their views about them.

anyway, I dont know if the complaints are justified or not. AAs and whites are related both by blood and by geography.So there's bound to be disillusionment at some point. Though its not an excuse to blame every single personal frustration on whites.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2008
birdman:

Jakumo, way to paint all AAs with such a broad brush angry. Contrary to what you say, a large swathe of AAs have jumped into the upper and middle class in the last decade in spite of the "news" you are being I find it (almost) funny that no one berates other americans for wasting money on expensive country clubs, getting mortgages they can't afford, spending money they don't have, but as soon as it comes to the black man, everyone want to magnify the badfed.
I beg to differ. The AA reality actually does not line up with your claim above. Statistics after Statistics show that the above statement is not close to reality of blacks in America. Blacks are still about the most illiterate group in America. If you doubt it, check the census numbers. Blacks happen to make up the majority when it comes to the poor in America. If you doubt it, check the numbers. Come on. The media does not have to feed anyone with anything for one to observe and understand this to be the case.  I have lived in many states and I can tell you for a fact that wherever you go in America, you get this. Even in my profession, I find the number of AA's in the field are not close to that of any other group.

Even black leaders can attest to this being the case. From Jesse Jackson to Obama; from Oprah to Sharpton, the message is same, the black community is in danger and needs to wake up. This is the reality in the AA community. Not the Asian, nor the Hispanic, nor the African but the AA community.

This has absolutely nothing to do with berating and if you ask me, the media works in a huge way to feed into the prevalent mentality in the AA community in America.  Unless you are going to sit here and tell us next that you know more about the black community than their many leaders or reps do, I suggest we try to stick close to reality here.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Jakumo(m): 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2008
There does exist a much larger black American middle and upper class than ever before, just as you state, Birdman, but my anecdotal observations about the comparative under-enrolment of black Americans in college related to the specific university I attended, and certainly were not second-hand conclusions derived from "news reports" as you suggest.

As for the tendency of black Americans to grumble over the additional hurdles they may face living in the United States, my observation has been that African Americans do tend to be VERY much quicker to anger than are Americans of most other races, and the black Americans I have encountered over the years do seem more prone to blame the "system" for perceived racial bias as soon as things go wrong or when preferred employment opportunities do not materialize.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2008
I believe programs like the one CNN has lined up today on BEING BLACK IN AMERICA only work to fuel the problem in the AA community rather than help.

@SeanT21, I know you are younger than all these people who continue to hassle you for having an opinion different from theirs, but may I suggest that you please grow a thick skin and stop posting responses to their rants. I mean the wise ones amongst them will learn to quit in shame. Please learn to ignore the rants. Not all persons on here throw tantrums when others do not agree.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by tpia: 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ kobojunkie; they are toasting each other. cool

if you're jealous, say so.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Jul 19, 2008
tpia:

@ kobojunkie; they are toasting each other. cool

if you're jealous, say so.

Well, if you are toasting her, be sure to know she is about 17 and that would make you a pedophile.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 5:02pm On Jul 19, 2008
abeg help me ask junkie o.  Each time she addresses me she does it cowardly indirectly.  junkie are you interested too? kiss
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2008
Please can we all act our age even on here.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 5:10pm On Jul 19, 2008
After we confess our feelings. I don't have to pretend to be a 40-year-old humorless woman when I'm not.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by tpia: 5:11pm On Jul 19, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Well, if you are toasting her, be sure to know she is about 17 and that would make you a pedophile.

look, no need to beat around the bush.

If you fancy the 17 year old lady, just say so. You're a grown man.

Am not the one trying to catch someone's attention, so dont make it about me.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 5:13pm On Jul 19, 2008
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed junkie you are a MAN? shame on you. sick perv.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

China Is World's Fifth Arms Exporter / Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate / Angola's AMAZING Post-War Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.