Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,482 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) (39316 Views)

Seun Kuti Leaks Documents Of Gov Oshiomole N17mn Trip To Miami [PICS] / Angola Set To Overtake Nigeria / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by tsmack: 2:41pm On Nov 21, 2013
Summary of facts:

Angola:….-…Population:... 18,498,000 people……-….Size:…1,246,700 km2 (481,354 sq mi)….-…GDP.. $118.719 billion
Nigeria:…-… Population: 174,507,539 people….. -….Size: ….923,768 km2 (356,667 sq mi)…..-..GDP…$292.028 billion
Lagos:….. -…Population: …..9,019,534 people…… - ….Size - …….3,474 km2 (1,341 sq mi)

In plain English, if Nigeria earns $100m and spends it on 100 people, Angola earns $50m but spends it on 10 people

These are however nominal values because it has been confirmed over and over again that Angola is one of the most expensive countries to live in the world. It citizens cannot afford to live in any of those “for show” houses.

Did you ask yourself why there is no sign of life in any of those estates?

Besides, Lagos is half the population of Angola crampled in 7% of Angolan land. i'm sure you agree thats a major strain on resources.

*we all know that the Nigerian population is debatable, so i dont expect any intelligent person to overflog that dead horse*

4 Likes

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by desgiezd(m): 2:47pm On Nov 21, 2013
This is a very beautiful city, a city at peace with itself. One can see the positive usage of oil money for the benefit of all. I pity my Country, Nigeria, its like we are retrogressing while other smaller, unpopular nations are seriously and positively moving ahead!

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by desgiezd(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2013
tsmack: Summary of facts:

Angola:….-…Population:... 18,498,000 people……-….Size:…1,246,700 km2 (481,354 sq mi)….-…GDP.. $118.719 billion
Nigeria:…-… Population: 174,507,539 people….. -….Size: ….923,768 km2 (356,667 sq mi)…..-..GDP…$292.028 billion
Lagos:….. -…Population: …..9,019,534 people…… - ….Size - …….3,474 km2 (1,341 sq mi)

In plain English, if Nigeria earns $100m and spends it on 100 people, Angola earns $50m but spends it on 10 people

These are however nominal values because it has been confirmed over and over again that Angola is one of the most expensive countries to live in the world. It citizens cannot afford to live in any of those “for show” houses.

Did you ask yourself why there is no sign of life in any of those estates?

Besides, Lagos is half the population of Angola crampled in 7% of Angolan land. i'm sure you agree thats a major strain on resources.

*we all know that the Nigerian population is debatable, so i dont expect any intelligent person to overflog that dead horse*

Very intelligent and factual post there!

But if not for corruption, Nigeria would have, at least, move at a faster pace.

Lest I forget, why do successive governments keep concentrating on oil revenue alone leaving all other areas of making more money virtually untouched?
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by iterator25: 2:54pm On Nov 21, 2013
desgiezd: This is a very beautiful city, a city at peace with itself. One can see the positive usage of oil money for the benefit of all. I pity my Country, Nigeria, its like we are retrogressing while other smaller, unpopular nations are seriously and positively moving ahead!
really? With all the FDIs we're attracting? Next time, be specific (retrogression in infrastructure, agreed)
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by bukatyne(f): 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2013
ROSSIKE: Kindly take your trashy CNN garbage report and stick it where the sun don't shine. CNN is the LAST PLACE to go for any meaningful information, or discussion, of Africa or African economies etc. If you want to know about Darfur, Somalia, the conflict in Congo, yes. CNN is your place. Anything else to do with African economies, development or progress, leave CNN out of it.

Mr.,

Learn to talk to people in a civil manner

I didn't write the article and you have any different opinion or feel they are on a defaming mission in Africa, face them
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by youngmonie: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
I wish people could really study and know more about their economics before comparing Nigeria and Angola!!!
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 21, 2013
Is it not the same Angola that Portugal their former colonial masters where asking for a financial bailout? If you doubt me read the BBC link. I wonder when the UK will ask Nigeria for money.....we are always depending on the next money coming from DFID, when Angola is busy bailing out their colonial masters.

Angola is prepared to help its former colonial power Portugal cope with its financial crisis, the oil-rich nation's President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos said.

After meeting visiting Portuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho, he said solutions needed to be found.

They should be "advantageous for both countries" and "in a spirit of solidarity and mutual help", he said.

Analysts say Portugal's economy is expected to contract by 2.8% next year and Angola's to grow by 12%.

'Trump cards'
The IMF has agreed to give Portugal a $107bn bailout on condition that it introduces a wide range of economic reforms - including privatisation.

Analysts say Angola could buy stakes in some of the privatised companies.

Angola's investments in Portugal have risen sharply in recent years.

The figure in 2009 stood at $156m (£99m), compared to $2.1m in 2002, according to the Portuguese Institute of International Relations and Security (IPRIS), a Lisbon-based think-tank.

Angolan companies own the equivalent of 3.8% of companies listed on Portugal's stock exchange, from banks to telecoms and energy, it says.............read on with the link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15790127
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by idupaul: 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nigeria's under developement can only be attributable to mass stupidity .. There are just too much stupid barbarians who think they are humans just because they won elections .. Look around you everyday from your church to ur living room and you would know

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by juman(m): 5:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
idupaul: Nigeria's under developement can only be attributable to mass stupidity .. There are just too much stupid barbarians who think they are humans just because they won elections .. Look around you everyday from your church to ur living room and you would know

Even military generals that ruled with decree failed woefully.

nigeria's problem is fundamental.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 21, 2013
tsmack: Nigeria is the only country where her citizens go online to rubbish themselves, their leaders, and their nation. Little wonder why other countries treat us like trash!

What is truly appalling is the level of ignorance displayed by the so called leaders of tomorrow. Blatant display of ignorance seems to be bliss on Nairaland.

I suggest you look up the standard of living in Angola and the living conditions of its citizens (may be that will make you appreciate your country better).
True talk... Nigeria simply cannot be compared to Angola. Doing so is as dumb as someone going to Dubai, UAE, and based on the stunning architecture, concluding that UAE is more advanced than Germany, since Germany has no cities that look even remotely like Dubai.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by PapaBrowne(m): 6:58pm On Nov 21, 2013
ROSSIKE: True talk... Nigeria simply cannot be compared to Angola. Doing so is as dumb as someone going to Dubai, UAE, and based on the stunning architecture, concluding that UAE is more advanced than Germany, since Germany has no cities that look even remotely like Dubai.
While I agree with your analogy, I have got a big ish with what we accept as standard in Nigeria. You look at those infrastructure built in Angola and you get a sense that the job was handled properly from start to finish. You look at a very expensive job done by Julius Berger(Abuja Airport road) and you know it was a well done engineering job but design and aesthetics would always be wanting!! I really don't know why it's that way.

Even the best estates in Ikoyi are poorly finished despite being some of the most expensive pieces of real estate in the world.

There is no reason the picture below should look the way it does when a plot of land there sells for more than $1.5 million. It makes no sense!!
We must start demanding more from not just our government but from our entrepreneurs and ourselves !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by bolayei: 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2013
I will live in this city any day any year, it's finer than any part of naija. if my time reach to live oyinbo man land na dis kind place i go like live for africa it does not have to be nigeria
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by iterator25: 7:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
bolayei: I will live in this city any day any year, it's finer than any part of naija. if my time reach to live oyinbo man land na dis kind place i go like live for africa it does not have to be nigeria
Goodluck to you cheesy make sure you research about the place before jumping in
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 21, 2013
oyinbo probably live there;
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:
While I agree with your analogy, I have got a big ish with what we accept as standard in Nigeria. You look at those infrastructure built in Angola and you get a sense that the job was handled properly from start to finish. You look at a very expensive job done by Julius Berger(Abuja Airport road) and you know it was a well done engineering job but design and aesthetics would always be wanting!! I really don't know why it's that way.

Even the best estates in Ikoyi are poorly finished despite being some of the most expensive pieces of real estate in the world.

There is no reason the picture below should look the way it does when a plot of land there sells for more than $1.5 million. It makes no sense!!
We must start demanding more from not just our government but from our entrepreneurs and ourselves !

I actually agree with you. I'm one of the most vocal critics of our 'finishing' especially roads built without sidewalks, or built with open gutters and so on. Even where you have a sidewalk, you might have sand piling up beside it with no one bothering to remove it etc etc. We need to step up our game desperately. Other African nations are not sitting around just trying to make do. They are looking at places like Dubai, Tokyo, Miami etc and saying ''we want to be JUST like that. Not almost, or nearly. JUST like that.'' And you can see that in the quality of the infrastructure.

We need to learn to HATE SAND. We must concrete up everywhere. Interspersed with lawns. That is how you achieve that sophisticated urban look. You cannot just have sand and gutters around you in this day and age.

Check this out in Luanda:

When you build a street like this, you won't even need to sweep it of any sand. Where will the sand come from? This is what we call Standard road. We need to make this the standard for all road construction in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Onlytruth(m): 10:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
PapaBrowne:

You made a very good observation. I will attempt to answer your question.

What you see in Ikoyi and parts of VI is a statement on Nigeria's history - a testimony to a wrong from the past.
Ikoyi is ladden with stolen (ill gotten wealth from political/economic corruption) of Nigeria's past -mainly from after the war (recall the RRR that was to happen in the East, but instead happened in the West). Cheap Easy money is always "dumped" somewhere.
The only comparative parts of Lagos that hold fair money currently are the newer parts like Lekki and VGC et al. Which Nigerian can afford to pay $1.5 in any part of Nigeria for a plot of land if not the old money people?

The parts of Nigeria that should have those types of expensive properties are Akwa-Ibom and Bayelsa states -two of the top oil producing states in Nigeria. I see Uyo developing exactly like Angola's Luanda (due to the world class infrastructure being developed there by Akpabio), and will eventually eclipse Ikoyi/VI in beauty.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by gurnam: 10:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
I also noticed the low-level fencing, unlike the prison like wall you find in Nigeria.....more of aesthetic than burglary prevention in those Luanda houses.

Obviously the crime rate there too must be low...:

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 12:35pm On Dec 19, 2016
Good work Angola, am not sure about the FIRE PLACES though as I know that Luanda is very hot.
Well done my blood brothers.....its in our blood while theyr busy with CRAP TALK AND EMPTY CHEST BEATING we rise to the top.
Its good to see S.A. Engineers, Architects doing good work in Dubai,Qatar,UK,US,OZ,NZ and here in Africa esp. Angola and Kenya,Namibia,Botswana. We have left our STAMP there. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by StOla: 12:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
Wow!

Am speechless, but not unaware that beside these highbrow neighbourhoods lies a sprawling slum.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by WIZGUY69(m): 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2016
Nothing spectacular there... Abuja is more beautiful than Luanda except for the beach... cool
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2016
JEALOUSY MAKES YOU NASTY nigerians. ANGOLA HAS A SMALL POPULATION AND AM HAPPY THEYR HOUSING THEIR PEOPLE JUST LIKE WE DO IN Z.A. THEYR LEARNING FROM US AND AM HAPPY WE'RE FAST TRACKING THEIR DEVELOPMENT. These days professionals live between Luanda and Cape Town. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

StOla:
Wow!

Am speechless, but not unaware that beside these highbrow neighbourhoods lies a sprawling slum.

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2016
Angola, Luanda one fo few African cities with African names and have a long HISTORY OF COLONIAL RESISTANCE.
THERE ARE NO "HOUSE NEGROES" THERE EVEN IN THE AMERICAS ANGOLAN SLAVES WERE KNOWN FOR FIGHTING AGAINST SLAVERY.
In places like South Carolina,USA,
Alabama, USA
Lousiana,USA,
Virginia,USA
NY, USA they left their mark and fought against evil slave trade system. Unlike Yorubas slaves of nigeria who were known for being submissive and HOUSE NIGGERS who would tell their masters to whip them if they wer wrong.
grin grin kiss kiss kiss

Back to the topic ANGOLA STANDS A CHANCE OF BRIDGING A GAP BETWEEN THE POOR AND THE RICH COMPARED TO nigerians WHO HIDE THEIR POVERTY INSTEAD, WORSHIP LOOTERS WHO STILL THEIR COUNTRIES OIL MONEY.

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by StOla: 1:19pm On Dec 19, 2016
AmenhotepZuid:
JEALOUSY MAKES YOU NASTY nigerians. ANGOLA HAS A SMALL POPULATION AND AM HAPPY THEYR HOUSING THEIR PEOPLE JUST LIKE WE DO IN Z.A. THEYR LEARNING FROM US AND AM HAPPY WE'RE FAST TRACKING THEIR DEVELOPMENT. These days professionals live between Luanda and Cape Town. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

Naa! I'm not the jealous type. Infact I'm very impressed by the town planning designs and would love to visit Angola someday.

Just expressing reality that such good accommodation and neighbourhoods only benefit the minority population of most countries. Infact, some Angolans would argue that these pictures are not of their country, judging from the sight that surround their own existence.

Same argument applies to Nigeria.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2016
South African universities Architecture,Urban Design and Town Planning, Quantity Surveying depts.. helping Angola deal with SLUM POPULATION.
Blood brothers helping each other out.... kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss FORZA ANGOLA Bleep ALL HATERS.

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:25pm On Dec 19, 2016
Nigeria has THE BIGGEST SLUM POPULATION IN AFRICA. Pity they hide this FACT. And worship their thugs like Dangote and others. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:33pm On Dec 19, 2016
ANGOLA MARCHING FOWARD WITH THE HELP OF HER BROTHERS SOUTH AFRICA. ZIMBABWE IS ANOTHER NEXT GOOD THING IN SADC, I HAVE SEEN THE PROJECTS THAT ARE LINED UP FOR ZIM BY Z.A. INVESTORS AND UK INVESTORS. Soon Kenya that has been getting alot of investment from S.A. and UK property developers will see property development in Nairobi taking a slow down undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:37pm On Dec 19, 2016
undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy cry cry cry cry cry
I cry in JEALOUS Yoruba charcoal ass is burning with HATE AND JEALOUSY.

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:42pm On Dec 19, 2016
SOUTHERN AFRICA RISING, SOUTH AFRICA LIFTING EVERYONE UP AND AM SURE ZIMBABWE WILL BE OUR RIGHT HAND SOON. cry cry cry cry

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:43pm On Dec 19, 2016
ZA OIL GIANTS in the building, Angola we're here to build not loot. grin grin grin grin

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Angola and Mozambique, Guinea Bissau pushed their Portugese masters of their countries while British left West Africa at their own WILL AND LEFT THEIR PUPPETS behind. They chose the natives they used during the ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE, sideline Igbos behave like Bantus and always fight whites and took closer HOUSE NEGROES Yorubas and Fulanis both have a history of being dominated by Arabs thru Islam. cry cry cry

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by AmenhotepZuid: 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2016
Boys on the right are Southies their dads are contructors and coining it. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Zuma Rock: Residents Panic Over Mysterious Explosion / "Smoke Covers Aero Flight From Port-Harcourt To Lagos"- Female Twitter User Says / FRSC Officials Intercept Overloaded Bus With Passengers On The Roof (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.