Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,310 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Bill Gates, Dangote Raise Fund To End Polio In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Bill Gates, Dangote Raise Fund To End Polio In Nigeria (461 Views)

Dangote Trailer Kills Five On Auchi-Benin Road (PHOTOS) / Dangote Truck Runs Into Cars, Burst Into Flames In Asaba, Many Feared Dead / Abia: Man Sells 3-year Old Son To Raise Fund For Father’s Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bill Gates, Dangote Raise Fund To End Polio In Nigeria by Wisdytech(m): 1:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Posted by: Oyeyemi Gbenga-Mustapha:

Nigeria is being positioned to eradicate polio next year ahead of, the 2018 deadline by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Computer magnate, Bill Gates and formost industralist Aliko Dangote gave this assurance in Lagos in a report of how their collaboration through Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Dangote Foundation had helped polio eradication in the country.

According to them, total number of polio cases was 112 last year but had dropped to just 51 cases as at this year. “This is through aggressive campaigns, moving from state to state and local government to local government in Nigeria; paying vaccinators to move around and reach kids. Traditional leaders have been fantastic by getting people out to participate in the immunisation exercise.

“We are rest assured that the battle against polio in the county will be won. Next year we will be celebrating total elimination of polio. Though rejection of the vaccine is a challenge and not the biggest challenge, we are concerned about the virus and how to exterminate same from Nigeria. We are happy to note that Type 3 is no more in Nigeria and Type 1 will be exterminated finally,” they said.

Dangote said: “My Foundation will be 20 years old next year. It was registered in 1993 but commenced operation in 1994. We are planning to do a big endowment on Education; Health and national relief. We are set to go round the country and not just a locality so many can benefit through the foundation.

“The Foundation was conceived during the structural adjustment programme (SAP) when many were complaining of the economy problem my business was recording huge successes. I was touched. So I was inspired to start the Foundation so others can benefit.”

Gates said he is happy that Nigeria is steadily winning the war against polio. “Many things are happening in Nigeria positively and Dangote is one of such. I and Alhaji Dangote have put together the sum of $6billion to purchase vaccines in a bid to eradicate polio from Nigeria, nay Africa. It would be a wonderful idea to eradicate polio from the whole world,” he said. SOURCE: http://www.thenationonlineng.net/new/gates-dangote-raise-fund-end-polio-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

How To Have A Great Day Everyday / Futo Sack All Academic Staff Over Refusal To Resume To Classroom / Straight From My DIARY: FOR Atheist, Free Thinkers, Islam Christians And Others.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.