Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,973 members, 7,821,408 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria (22070 Views)

The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria- Who Is To Blame? / We Merged Osun Schools To Improve Standard Of Education - Speaker / The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by chimobiofo1: 8:24am On Nov 25, 2013
Pls I wnt to no if Canada or Abadin in UK wic of the Country is beta to go to in terms of Studying n working n living dere. Pls any help shud send to my email @ chimoskiwire@gmail.com
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:15am On Nov 25, 2013
ULQUIORRA: Exactly my brother. When I tell people that I started reading the newspapers in primary 1, they just laugh it off but its true.
Yes bros. I started reading newspapers in primary 4. It was a culture my grand father passed to my mother who in turn passed it to me. Till today, reading is still a part of me.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:25am On Nov 25, 2013
Number_One: The only problem with education in Nigeria is that students are not allowed to think.

The lecturers expect you to vomit their notes word for word.
The purpose of education is to make students think and improve on what they are thought. Improve society. University is meant for reseach not to copy and paste.

How can one think when the only way to pass is to photocopy lecture notes back to the lecturer?
Any attempt to question a lecturer on new findings in his area (cos most of them use the same lecture notes of 10 years ago) will only lead to being seen as an enemy and you will most likely fail the course.

This inability to think is what employers complain about. 1st class, 2-1 student who cannot deliver in the field.
Engineers who cannot fix anything. Doctors who experiment with patients, try this drug or that.

While graduates complain there are NO JOBS, businesses complain there are NO APPLICANTS.

Since Nigeria has enough problems, I dont like to discuss problems alone but profer solutions also.

SOLUTION
1) Copy and paste to pass exams and get the best grade you can.
2) Read more than you are taught. God bless the internet... Use it.
3) Learn a skill because that is the only way to make a living. People pay for service. They pay better for good service.
There are many. Event management, Software developer, Public speaker, Hair dressing... The list is endless. Just pick one.
4) When you look for that dream job and it doesnt come in 2 years (1 year NYSC + 1 post NYSC). Fall back on your skill and be the best you can.

Bottomline, if you cant get a job, make one.
thank God people like you still dey (pardon my grammer) bless you bro.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by usman3688(m): 9:42am On Nov 25, 2013
for me I'd say I used to partake in the malpractice business until I realized I was contributing to d destruction and deploration of education in my country and I've since vowed not to contribute to it any longer. now I'm looking for a way to combat this menace as it is gradually eating deep into the education sector, I fear for the next generation of student and d ones yet unborn. pls let's find a way to stop this.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:48am On Nov 25, 2013
fatwallet: Nigerians need their colonial superior masters (the whites) to come back and whoop their Nigger Asses for not passing the test.walking around with big potbelly and wearing clown hats doing nothing.
unless all nigerians magically turn to white like michael jackson , have a brain transplant surgery,change the climate of Nigeria or get colonized and greatly influenced by whites ,Nigeria is truly doomed.
have you ever seen a black first world country? verily i say to you that if you transfer all whites to Nigeria and transfer nigerians to America ,Americans would be applying for Nigerian Visa.they would go give birth in Nigeria.
the tiny islands of Haiti,Jamaica, s.t Lucia etc. have electricity interruptions like Nigeria yet Canada and U.S are as big as africa and there's electricity in even the most remote countryside.
the beautiful resorts in caribbean are built by whites and thats to show you what the entire island would have looked like.the bauxite is mined by whites. U.S virgin Islands in the same caribean is developed.
Iceland is cold barren island turned into paradise yet jamaica Is a tropical shithole. Kingston jamaica is the murder capital of the world,untold poverty.
you think Arabs actually built Dubai? who do you think influenced and helped develop japan,hong kong ,,singapore,malaysia,johannesburg etc.
without a white touch and influence, Nigeria is doomed.
Knowledge is Light,Ignorance is Darkness . sad but true.
I agree to an extent, although not completely. The knowledgeable whites know something that we don't. Why don't we learn from them? Japan was once America's apprentice (not literally though) South Korea was once their apprentice. China was also Japan's apprentice for some time. Now they've learnt and they are doing well. If you watch Asia today, you will curse Africa. Back to topic... I think part of the problems of the educational system in Nigeria is the MOTIVE for education. For most of us, higher education is a meal ticket, an escape route to riches and that's a problem.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:51am On Nov 25, 2013
fatwallet: Nigerians need their colonial superior masters (the whites) to come back and whoop their Nigger Asses for not passing the test.walking around with big potbelly and wearing clown hats doing nothing.
unless all nigerians magically turn to white like michael jackson , have a brain transplant surgery,change the climate of Nigeria or get colonized and greatly influenced by whites ,Nigeria is truly doomed.
have you ever seen a black first world country? verily i say to you that if you transfer all whites to Nigeria and transfer nigerians to America ,Americans would be applying for Nigerian Visa.they would go give birth in Nigeria.
the tiny islands of Haiti,Jamaica, s.t Lucia etc. have electricity interruptions like Nigeria yet Canada and U.S are as big as africa and there's electricity in even the most remote countryside.
the beautiful resorts in caribbean are built by whites and thats to show you what the entire island would have looked like.the bauxite is mined by whites. U.S virgin Islands in the same caribean is developed.
Iceland is cold barren island turned into paradise yet jamaica Is a tropical shithole. Kingston jamaica is the murder capital of the world,untold poverty.
you think Arabs actually built Dubai? who do you think influenced and helped develop japan,hong kong ,,singapore,malaysia,johannesburg etc.
without a white touch and influence, Nigeria is doomed.
Knowledge is Light,Ignorance is Darkness . sad but true.
I agree to an extent, although not completely. The knowledgeable whites know something that we don't. Why don't we learn from them? Japan was once America's apprentice (not literally though) South Korea was once their apprentice. China was also Japan's apprentice for some time. Now they've learnt and they are doing well. If you watch Asia today, you will curse Africa. Back to topic... I think part of the problems of the educational system in Nigeria is the MOTIVE for education. For most of us, higher education is a meal ticket, an escape route to riches and that's a problem.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by danbabe: 10:34am On Nov 25, 2013
tonychristopher:

when was the last time you see a young man going to library or even buying newspaper....This is a classic case of educational decadence and decline.Can you just imagine the spellings and grammer of this writer ?I weep,this is disheartening,
Have you gone to these private schools and interview our teachers? when I was serving I used to have a corp member, she studied mechanical engineering but couldn't teach maths and physics,she was teaching home economics,can you imagine a mechanical engineer doing this? what of the girl I meet at NYSC camp,studied mass communications but can't distinguish libel from defamation. hmmm ,I pray not to send my kid in NIGERIAN universities. Lectures are busy striking,students are busy pinging,govt is busy looting. I JUST WEEP FOR EDUCATION

Your English Language is awful! You need to work on yourself first before pointing fingers at others.

2 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by meforyou1(m): 11:09am On Nov 25, 2013
eluquenson: Fallen standard of education is as a result of irresponsible govt.
not govt but successive governments. and parents. u remember the unity schools controversy sometime ago when many parents bribed the school authorities to put their wards that failed in unity schools leaving out the ones that actually passed.
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by obi123: 2:06pm On Nov 25, 2013
The fallen standard of education in Nigeria?

The problem is that there is no standard in the first place, no bench mark whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by 735i(m): 12:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
chimobiofo1: Pls I wnt to no if Canada or Abadin in UK wic of the Country is beta to go to in terms of Studying n working n living dere. Pls any help shud send to my email @ chimoskiwire@gmail.com

I will try and start with you.
1.) Go back and read your post
2.) Remove the abbreviations
3.) Check all your spellings
4.) Google the name you spelt as "Abadin" and find out if it is a country in the UK........(the correct spelling is Aberdeen)
5.) Rephrase your post. (Please ensure; verb-noun agreement)

If you can do all these; then i will go out my way to help you. If on the other hand you feel it's too cumbersome; then i'm sorry....you can't work in any of these places you have mentioned.

3 Likes

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by bamssy(m): 7:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
armadeo:

Lord have mercy.

Forgive me everyone but WTF!!!!
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by EreluY(f): 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2013
nijanigga: Nigerian system is a systematic failure. Unless concerted efforts are put in place to correct our fabrics of lives , it's impossible to fix fallen standard of education alone. If you still have to worry about clean water, food, accommodation, transportation etc. especially in the mist of plenty, you will always be tempted to look for "short cut". Any Nigeria leader can wake up and tell us that they have vision 2010 (Abacha) Vision whatever, but what's been done to achieve just 10% of the countless visions, absolutely nothing, but on the other hand , CORRUPTION is taking strong hold of every aspect of Nigerian society. So, fallen standard of education will not be an aberration.
Sad to say, Nigeria is still a sinking ship, the rest of world are looking at nomothetic approaches of solving their problems, Nigeria have held on to idiographic ideologies for too long. It's no uncommon for young intellectuals who wants to bring new ideas are often frustrated with phrases like, " this is the way ,we have been doing it". I just think Nigerian entity is an anomaly. The 53 years experiment hasn't worked and it won't anytime soon.

@ BOLD: A young Nigerian who completed his MPhil at Cambridge and DPhil at Oxford returned to Nigeria with a view to "making his own little impacts" within the academe. After just over two years of absolute frustration, he returned to the UK and currently lectures in a Russell Group Uni. Shame to Nigeria - a doomed country.

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
Erelu_Y:

@ BOLD: A young Nigerian who completed his MPhil at Cambridge and DPhil at Oxford returned to Nigeria with a view to "making his own little impacts" within the academe. After just over two years of absolute frustration, he returned to the UK and currently lectures in a Russell Group Uni. Shame to Nigeria - a doomed country.

So true. I myself cannot imagine working in Nigeria. Only the corrupt minded can survive in Nigeria.

Nigeria has lost all her assets already. It's a sinking ship, it's just a matter of time before it hits the bottom.

A sad reality many optimistic Nigerians don't want to absorb.

1 Like

Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by newspapers: 1:36pm On Aug 20, 2014
Our Education system is far degrading. Now, check out the list of Universities and Polytechnic we have in Nigeria here - https://www.nairaland.com/349385/list-universities-polytechnics-colleges-education . You will notice that, not all of them are even up to standard. We know this.

Imagine Ghana and other African nations sidelining us (Giant of Africa) when it comes to Academic standard...

We need a better mind orientation. The reason why most of us go to school in this part of the nation is just for CERTIFICATES!!! http://www.divanaija.com.ng/education-nigeria-true-education-just-certification/
sad sad sad
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by dataideas: 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2017
Re: The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria by SIXTUSANTHONY(m): 6:49am On Sep 15, 2018
There is need to review the Philosophy of Education in Nigeria. There is need for thorough overhauling of the educational system in Nigeria. The Philosophy of Education in Nigeria was meant to address the socio-politica problems that bedeviled the country in the 1970's.

They can no longer pass muster when you juxtapose them with the current social, economic and political problems that have become the bane of development in Nigeria. http://www.academia.com.ng/

There is need to de-emphasize paper qualification.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? / List Of Fully Accredited Online Universities / My Brother Won 4th Place: Cbn/ibm Ennovate Nigeria Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.