Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,804 members, 7,956,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:53 PM

OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (20425 Views)

4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming / What Resources Apart From Oil Contributes To 40% Of Our GDP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by WarHorse1(m): 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
Chibenze: A very wrong title, do you know the gravity of what you just use as a title in few months or years to come, pls dnt destroy peoples business, they have invested much on it. OLX IS NOT A SCAM. except u dnt know how to use them.
Change the title of ur post.

I agree the title is wrong. Please tell us how to use it so we don't fall victim. Thanks
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by itunushadare: 4:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have a similar experience, I want 2 buy a plasma tv so I checked d tv section and 2 my suprise all d contact numbers wasn't working, d only. Number that worked, d person said I will av deposit d money(35k) into his account and he deliver d tv 2 me. So I just told d dude 2 get a life. So I will just advice that u meet d seller b4 buying/transacting.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by shaiguy(m): 4:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
I run a very similar classified ads website just like OLX. It's called eBuyer Nigeria dot com dot ng
And I totally understand the situation, everyday we are deleting loads of fraudulent posts from the site.
While we have thousands of verified ads, there are just some guys out there that choose to post "fake" posts mostly in the car sections.
If you are buying a car online from a classified ads website - shine your eyes well well. You cannot buy a 2013 Toyota Prado for 800k.
From my experience be careful of any entry that says Customs auctions even if you see pictures of custom officers in the profile, they are always guaranteed to be fake.
I understand Google Trader closed down because of this, they just could not manage the number of fraudulent entries being posted.
When using classified ads website - Become immediately suspicious if the price is too low, become immediately suspicious if the seller is trying to let you part with money before meeting in person or see the product to be purchased, the price they request for might be as low as 5k as a deposit, be careful, do not transfer until you have met with seller and physically inspected item for sale.

You can check out www.ebuyer.com.ng :-)

Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Johnsinia(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
Somebody shuld pls help me here. I want to sell in OXL, i followed all the neccessary procedures bt wen i click the post bottom, it will be connecting bt will nt post. Am tired...
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Revolva(m): 5:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
well in naija some folks are always there to Guy another people...besides that OLX is a fantastic site...

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
clean2: you are totally absolutely wrong,after a deep thought you are totally absolutely right.then u may be totally absolutely wrong. Then after a deep thought u may be totally absolutely right. Whats the topic again? Oh yes keshi should recall iheanacho to super eagle or even amunike. wait where am i?
#Funny.....dis guy must be high on some cheap drugs...
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by ewizard1: 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
[size=16pt] Firstly, I want to say... The OP has a point with the scammers mention but I can say one thing: OLX is a Great Market !!! I have done a lot of Business Transactions on the Site as well as Tradestable. I have Sold and Bought on OLX and all went sweet n good! *phewww

My first tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 p3100 was bought from OLX from a lady. When I was fed up of it, I sold it back on OLX. Then I bought my Present Samsung Galaxy S3 i9305 from Tradestable.

Lemme share a lil thing with people who would like to know. Its like the Rules of Online Market.

1. I dont deal with Company ads... NO!!! Though, I've only been dealing with individual items. E.g Phones, Tabs etc.
2. As a buyer, I would ask the seller to let us meet at half the way. Even if I'll go meet the Buyer, I'll go with a friend and agree ONLY to meet in an Open place.

The main thing is Know how to deal with your seller if u're a buyer and the transaction would go smoothly well.

OLX and Tradestable has been very good!!! [/size]

5 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
You guys shld read d "Terms nd Conditions" of OLX bfor giving the public a wrong info about the site....OLX is a fine site to buy nd sell kos I once sold a fone there nd bought anoda one on dat same site....its only those pple who are not smart nd have fallen victims of scam dat will come here nd start capping rubbish...abi una no dey hear wen dem dey do d advert for T.V wey dem dey say "MEET THE BUYER IN PERSON".....abegi O.P u don't have any point joor....who knows if u r not working with JUMIA or KONGA sef...!!!
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by shark2last(m): 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
Promhize: Didn't they have it on their website and adverts, that you should meet the seller for transaction.

Abeg don't come here and spoil people's business.

Infact you just spoke my mind. OLX business is not supposed to be something done totally online or in proxy. You should endeavour to meet the seller and make sure you have taken possession of your product before you pay. You can also make enquiry about the good and the credibility of the seller from people around, afterall no be jinns dey advertise on OLX
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by trustedward(m): 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
Bros no just dey condem site wen u know nothing about,they say if a business is too gud to be true,abeg run 4/40,olx is no scam,there are scamers everywhere,mind u i bought a samsung galaxy note 2 there on saturday,so far it has been cool,i can even post picture of it..
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by ukandi1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
i once saw a beautiful car here in Nairaland autos and when i went to PH to check it out, d guy that advertised it after sending d address never picked my calls again. I had to trace d location to NTA road PH and lo and behold, it was close to a scrap. With that disappointment, i wil never believe what i see here so scammers are everywhere....
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by bassette(m): 6:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
Mstr_sheikh: Hello Everyone,

This is my second time I will be posting a topic on Nairaland, This Second topic However is on Online business meeting and transaction between two parties through a popular Medium known as OLX.

In my Opinion OLX in Nigeria can never be effective, why?

Some People whose excuse are that the country is too tough have ventured big time into Swindling innocent fellow Nigerians of money and different items. This deceitful and wicked attitude among Nigerians has rendered the use of OLX useless.

My own personal experience was on getting a new gadget; after making calls two of the sellers I contacted said I must deposit a certain amount of Money for logistics and registration fee to get any business done. Where on Earth is that done??

Another Experience is from one of a friend who wanted to buy a car, The Colour of car he saw Online and in reality were totally different with the owner giving different execuses.

My advice for any one patronizing buyers online not just OLX, if its not the regular Jumia, Konga and the likes should be careful as some people have used this means as a Money making venture swindling ignorant people.

People are always connected to the growth of Technology, with Bad people easier means of transacting business will only render the best Technology flawed and for those perpertrators or Scammers the End is near.
Listen to me OLX aint scam neither Is only 40% of ads there scam..I advertise on olx and its very real..recently some1 contacted me via olx for the Aerobed I put up there and I personally made the delivery...pls get your facts right before coming out to scream foul...how did this make front page even??Not all nigerians are scammers pls..end of story!
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by elari(m): 6:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
danderson: Am currently negotiating a Toyota Prado and the owner claims he is a custom officer but when i asked him the name of the current comptroller of custom, he seems to delay that signal is poor. I need advise.
. . . wrong, wrong move. U should have asked him the comptroller general and not the comptroller. u guys were negotiating business and not an interview; at least u should have gone to see the car and confirm if he has proper documents. remember the oga at the top" issue.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by sweetkisses(f): 6:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
gbishop: well i applied for a job advert on olx and i was called for interview. i dont know your own experience but its not a scam
Pls what kinda job and Where u given the job?? Just being curious
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Lexusgs430: 6:52pm On Nov 25, 2013
priscasmart: scammers are everywhere

Even on Nairaland !!!!
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by emalekuo(m): 6:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
Mstr_sheikh: Hello Everyone,

This is my second time I will be posting a topic on Nairaland, This Second topic However is on Online business meeting and transaction between two parties through a popular Medium known as OLX.

In my Opinion OLX in Nigeria can never be effective, why?

Some People whose excuse are that the country is too tough have ventured big time into Swindling innocent fellow Nigerians of money and different items. This deceitful and wicked attitude among Nigerians has rendered the use of OLX useless.

My own personal experience was on getting a new gadget; after making calls two of the sellers I contacted said I must deposit a certain amount of Money for logistics and registration fee to get any business done. Where on Earth is that done??

Another Experience is from one of a friend who wanted to buy a car, The Colour of car he saw Online and in reality were totally different with the owner giving different execuses.

My advice for any one patronizing buyers online not just OLX, if its not the regular Jumia, Konga and the likes should be careful as some people have used this means as a Money making venture swindling ignorant people.

People are always connected to the growth of Technology, with Bad people easier means of transacting business will only render the best Technology flawed and for those perpertrators or Scammers the End is near.

Another noise maker. its simple, you see and inspect the car or other items before you pay and must everyone buy from olx? if you are scared you walk to a store and make your purchase.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Incrizz(f): 7:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
@OP I won't let you spoil a good business angry

OLX is very good!!

What's wrong in asking you to deposit some money if you want home delivery on a product from a person or company not in the same locality as you

If you don't want to deposit some money, simply tell the seller so.

What the seller asked you to do has nothing to do with the OLX company.

I feel you're just being malicious!!!!
sad

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Incrizz(f): 7:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
Johnsinia: Somebody shuld pls help me here. I want to sell in OXL, i followed all the neccessary procedures bt wen i click the post bottom, it will be connecting bt will nt post. Am tired...
[size=20pt]If you have not registered as a user..you know..have an account name and password, you cannot post an advert.[/size]
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
Funny enough... I get more sales from my olx ads than my nairaland post.

If a buyer is not ready to meet d seller face to face then u are about to take a risk.....

When a seller tells u you must pay a deposit before they send, it is 100%,i repeat, 100% FAKE and SCAM!!!! This is simple. As a seller, why would i send my item to u because u paid a deposit(not up to the cost price) and expecting u to pay later?? What is d reason for paying dat deposit?? because it doesn't proof that u wont scam me d buyer.

On d other hand, why would a seller tell me to send an item, check the item and test, before sending me money I will be the biggest fool to accept that.

I always tell my prospective buyers that if they want to pay on delivery, they should go to jumia. Its not by force. If u come online to buy and u dont want to see d buyer, u are d one taking d risk. Nobody in ebay or amazon or any Yankee buying and selling site i know will send an item to u without paying the FULL amount and even get alert from bank before sending d item.

So if u cant go and see d item u want to buy face to face and u are not ready to pay in full before d seller send the item( cos u dont want to fall for a scam), just forget about buying online.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by ktqueeny: 8:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have sold a phone on OLX, the buyer n I met at a fast food to see d phone before paying me cash. same should be applied when buying online. see what u wanna buy, verify documents and all before you pay.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by beanos(m): 9:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
Promhize: Didn't they have it on their website and adverts, that you should meet the seller for transaction.

Abeg don't come here and spoil people's business.

This is just what I wanted posting until I scrolled down and saw this post. For me I have gotten so many employed thru OLX, and have done so many businesses through the same medium that fetched me a reasonable amount and still counting. What I still don't get right is how they make their returns as per advert, since I have not been charged a dime for using their site. For me am enjoying OLX. For me it's always where buyers meet sellers. Thanks OLX.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by aesculapius(m): 9:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
I wonder why some people will have brain but wont make use of it. OLX is simply an avenue where buyers meet sellers and if someone is so dumb enough 2 fall to scammers, is that OLX fault? My question for the op; if you are duped in Wuse market, would you blame the market, the rogues or ur dumbself?
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by GOFON(m): 10:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
Nigerians beware!!! There are a lot of fake custom officers advitising Tokunbo cars on this site.
I had an encounter with two of them. I was already aware of their pranks hence they could not dupe me. They slammed the phone on me when i said 419 seme border custom officers.
Innocent Nigerans bewareee!!!
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by villybest(f): 10:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
OLX is not a scam,last tWo weeks I just sold my 9.5Kva hyundai generator,there and there I bought a bigger one to replace it,I bought direct from owners not agent or dealers.trying to negotiate another stuff but the poster called me back to say Its gone.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by xtripple: 10:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have sold 3 good laptops through olx, even sold one 2day. I never ask anybody to pay into my acct, I simply ask u to come to my office and see what you want to buy. Olx is made for the buyer to meet the seller . My advise is , pls do not pay anybody without seeing and check what u want to buy and always demand for receipt.
Re: OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? by xtripple: 10:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
ukandi1: i once saw a beautiful car here in Nairaland autos and when i went to PH to check it out, d guy that advertised it after sending d address never picked my calls again. I had to trace d location to NTA road PH and lo and behold, it was close to a scrap. With that disappointment, i wil never believe what i see here so scammers are everywhere....
i sale laptops both n
ew and used, incase if you need one, my ads re there in olx, location onitsha, I even sold one 2day to someone frm nnewi. Olx is real when u meet the real people. Checks ads for computers, location onitsha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hadiza Bala-Usman: The Many "Sins" Of Suspended NPA MD / Confusion At Ports As FG Increases Import Tariff / 6 Tips To Earn Some More Money On The Side

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.