Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? (1035 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by johnny2013(m): 6:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
Advice me please! I was told by a roadside rewire man that the thermostat controlling my car fan can be disconnected because of our hot whether. He said the weather abroad is cold and fan needs to go off so that the car doesn't freeze with snow. Is it proper to disconnect it?
Pls advice me. Thanks
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
johnny2013: Advice me please! I was told by a roadside rewire man that the thermostat controlling my car fan can be disconnected because of our hot whether. He said the weather abroad is cold and fan needs to go off so that the car doesn't freeze with snow. Is it proper to disconnect it?
Pls advice me. Thanks

I always get offended when folks patronize roadside dumbas.s who tell them to remove vital components of their car as if the manufacturers who installed such components are daft. undecided

The earlier you sack that madman who claim to be a mechanic, the better for you. DON'T REMOVE THAT TERMOSTAT unless you want to destroy that engine over time.
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by baaliyah(m): 10:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
Dont do it, your engine will die prematurely, your car will consume more fuel. Dont go to that mecho again.
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by pek(m): 10:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
you have said it all Mr Mike
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by sultaan(m): 11:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
What are they saying do it and see what happens.

We will see whose economy improves grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 26, 2013
johnny2013: Advice me please! I was told by a roadside rewire man that the thermostat controlling my car fan can be disconnected because of our hot whether. He said the weather abroad is cold and fan needs to go off so that the car doesn't freeze with snow. Is it proper to disconnect it?
Pls advice me. Thanks

You need to make yourself clear here.

There's a distinction between the thermostat (which controls coolant flow and temperature) and the thermo switch (which controls the cooling fan switching).

Thermostat - Mechanical device.
Thermos switch - Electrical device.
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by cardoctor(m): 6:17am On Nov 26, 2013
Disconnect thermostat or remove thermostat. Which one do you mean? The engine thermostat or the aircondition thermostat?

Car-Doctor.
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 26, 2013
sultaan: What are they saying do it and see what happens.

We will see whose economy improves grin grin grin grin
I'm liking your sarcasm
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 26, 2013
I think what he means is remove the engine thermostat and connect the radiator fans such that they wok always.
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 26, 2013
I think what he means is remove the engine thermostat and connect the radiator fans such that they work always.
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by johnny2013(m): 12:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
dsunmade: I think what he means is remove the engine thermostat and connect the radiator fans such that they work always.

Yes, exactly. This is what he meant. His explanation is that the thermostat help heat up their car engine over there by switching off so that the engine does not freeze because of snow, that in Nigeria where we constantly have hot weather, the fan needs to be constantly working..
I appropriate you all. If there is any further thing to inform me about, let me know please.
Thanks alot
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2013
johnny2013:

Yes, exactly. This is what he meant. His explanation is that the thermostat help heat up their car engine over there by switching off so that the engine does not freeze because of snow, that in Nigeria where we constantly have hot weather, the fan needs to be constantly working..
I appropriate you all. If there is any further thing to inform me about, let me know please.
Thanks alot

he is wrong

anti freeze or coolant is that one that prevents freezing

am in UK on a bad practise you can ignore your mixture radio of your coolant in summer becoz temperatures dont freeze during the night and morning but in winter you have to make sure that your coolant/anti freeze has the correction ratio mix (if there is more water it is likely to freeze with low temperatures) therefor your motor would hard to start in the morning

this got nothing to do with radiator fan or thermostat

the job of the thermostat is to trap water inside the engine untill it reaches operating temperature that help in burning fuel effieciently giving you more mileage per gallon so if you take the thermostat the engine will never reach temperatures that helps in burning fuel effieciently therefore you gas mileage is low

in simple terms a wet cloth that has a mixture of water and kerosene needs more heat to be light and compared a one that has kerosene only so in cars if the engine is cold it will use more fuel since the walls of the engine are cold and are not helping in burning the fuel but if the temperature is maintained by the thermostat (85 - 96 depending on each car) the walls of the engine are hot and helping in burning the fuel therefore less fuel is needed becoz even with smalliest amount fuel is able to burn since the hot walls of the engine are hot

it is ther job of the anti freeze/coolant to stop freezing of coolant in the car
Re: Is It Necessary To Disconnect My Car Thermostat? by johnny2013(m): 4:50pm On Nov 26, 2013
Oh my God! I was just ignorant but truely, I don't jump into doing things without consulting people with better knowledge of it.

Infact this is what and all I need to hear but more ideas if necessary, are welcomed.
Thanks to you all. Can't mention names but you all sound like gurus in this section and wonderful

(1) (Reply)

Help Help In Chosing Among These Cars / Photos: The Secret About Car Tyres / Photo: Can You Identify This Car Logo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.