Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,971 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. (813 Views)

10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know / European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years / Full Eclipse Of The Sun In Nigeria (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by AbuMikey(m): 9:52am On Nov 26, 2013
[img]http://2.bp..com/-cPD6zINPFV0/UpRcbHGrpzI/AAAAAAAAALg/fxZwDPFY8V8/s1600/%253D%253Futf-8%253FB%253FaXNvbi5qcGc%253D%253F%253D-798938[/img]

This week will see the moment of truth for Comet Ison, the much-awaited “comet of the century” that could be about to put on one of the greatest celestial lightshows in living memory.

For the past year scientists have been tracking Ison’s movement as it hurtles towards the inner solar system, and on Thursday it is set to pass through the corona of the sun itself.

The comet is around 4.6 billion years old – forming at the very beginning of the solar system, and has been sitting quietly in the outer reaches of the sun’s gravitational field for almost all that time.

Relatively recently, Ison was knocked out of the distant Oort cloud and began its journey towards the sun. That light-year-long trip is very nearly at an end, and astronomers still don’t know if it is one that it will survive.

Speaking to a BBC Horizon special on the comet last night, Dr Matthew Knight said there are three possible scenarios for what will happen on 28 November.

Option one is for the comet to be pulled apart by the gravitational force of the sun, stretching it beyond breaking point and forcing it to explode as it leaves the corona. Ison is an average-to-small sized comet, making this scenario a real risk.

Option two is for Ison to succumb to the heat of the sun. Comets are largely made up of ice and other frozen gases, and while this one is a “star-grazer”, expected to only pass the sun once, it could experience heat of up to 2,000C and may simply fizzle out.

The third and final scenario is the one Dr Knight, who has studied Ison for a year and recently became the first scientist to ever capture it on camera, is hoping for.

As the comet flies through the corona, the gases could be heated up and ignited just enough to produce a tail burning off in the wake of Ison’s flight, but not enough to destroy it entirely.

If this happens, millions of people in Earth’s northern hemisphere will be able to witness an extraordinary display in the night sky. The comet could appear as a bright object near the horizon, with a tail extending all the way overhead.

If Ison survives its brush with the sun, it will be visible from the 3 December and throughout most of the month.
Aside from this being an extraordinary visual experience, scientists also hope to be able to measure the contents of the tail with a spectrometer.

For the first time since such technology has been available to astrochemists, they will be able to measure something which we know has existed, almost entirely unchanged, since the start of the solar system.

Expect there to be a lot of people – scientists and stargazers alike – with fingers firmly crossed this Thursday.

Source » www.uselucentral..com/2013/11/will-comet-ison-survive-its-close.html?m=1
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Danhumprey: 10:19am On Nov 26, 2013
Interesting! cool
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 26, 2013
whoah..
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Danhumprey: 10:28am On Nov 26, 2013
I heard that if a comet is in a head-on collision with our planet Earth,it would leave a gaping hole in it's trail. How true? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Tuntheycr7: 10:43am On Nov 26, 2013
This might be funny but dtz d truth. All if this cud not but be related to the end of time palava
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Dannylux: 11:44am On Nov 26, 2013
Fantastic Four things grin

Your source isn't reliable. undecided
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by AbuMikey(m): 12:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
Dannylux: Fantastic Four things grin

Your source isn't reliable. undecided

Bro, I don't blog on bullshittt stuff! cool

Whatever You see on my blog,is as real as it can be. Trust Me wink

Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Karleb(m): 12:15pm On Nov 26, 2013
Waooo
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by FoxyFlow(m): 12:26pm On Nov 26, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Bro, I don't blog on bullshittt stuff! cool

Whatever You see on my blog,is as real as it can be. Trust Me wink

Your use of words is really too bad...

Too quick to throw insultive words. I advise you to desist from that. Trust me, I know what I am talking about
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by AbuMikey(m): 12:31pm On Nov 26, 2013
Foxy_Flow:

Too quick to throw insultive words. I advise you to desist from that. Trust me, I know what I am talking about

But I didn't insult him nau sad

Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Dannylux: 12:36pm On Nov 26, 2013
Foxy_Flow:

LOL! Thanks but how did He insult me?
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
Foxy_Flow:

where exactly is the insult undecided
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by FoxyFlow(m): 1:20pm On Nov 26, 2013
deejay_harry1:

where exactly is the insult undecided

If he denies it, I free him.

You don't have to comprehend what I wrote na
Re: Comet Ison On Surviving Its Close Encounter With The Sun. by musty001: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2013
Dannylux:

LOL! Thanks but how did He insult me?
he didnt said dat guy(abu) insulted u,he was only trying 2 advice him 4rm using insultive words #simple#

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Build Complex E-commerce Websites Like Jumia And Forum Websites / What Is Wrong With MTN? / Grab This 3-in-1 A4 Printer( Scan, Print, Copy)with Ink Feeding System.save More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.