Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (27247 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by omajali2003(m): 8:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
funky medina: 10 things we didnt know? if we didnt know he has been arrested multiple times and is a playwright and political activist or he founded the first confra then what did we know??
brb
I guess the only thing we know is that GEJ is the president of Nigeria. Next will be ten thing we don't know about Stella Oduah
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by duwdu: 8:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
castielo: He needs help undecided

LOL... Quite the contrary... you need help.

P34c3
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by gratiaeo(m): 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
Akshow: show some respect kid, he is ur grand father's age mate.
Do he really deserve respect?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by johnsonadex: 8:13pm On Nov 26, 2013
In Abuja, An Atheist brought up a case against the upcoming Christmas Holiday. He hired a Lawyer to bring a discrimination case against Christians and Muslims concerning observation of their Holy Days. The Argument was that it was unfair that Atheists had no such recognised days. The case was brought before (The Judge) Akpos. After listening to the passionate presentation by the Lawyer, the Judge banged his gavel declaring; "Case Dismissed". The Lawyer quickly stood up, objecting to the ruling and said; Your honour, how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and Others. The Muslims have Id-el-kabir, Id-el-fitri and Others. But my client and other Atheists have no such holidays. (The Judge) Akpos leaned forward in his chair and said; Your client and other Atheists have. Its just that your client is woefully ignorant. The Lawyer said; Your honour, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for Atheists. (The Judge) Akpos said; The Calendar says April 1st is April Fools day. Psalm 14 verse 1 says, The fool says in his heart, there is no God. It is the opinion of this court that, if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by LadyH(f): 8:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
nsi oke
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
LadyH: nsi oke
Nne, i dikwa active dis night! Jisie ike oh
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nicepoker(m): 8:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
IYA NGBALI: what have you achieved in your miserable life?who knows you in your family not to talk of your street?its you that needs help jo
why r u taking this so personal. Is wole ur uncle?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by tankoemmanuel(m): 8:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
Op, Wole is not an atheist. He is just not a subscriber to the western model religions. Wole is a devotee of the Yoruba god of Iron and the road, Ogun.

You may have to read the book "You Must Set Forth at Dawn" written by him and published in the year 2006.

"Son may you never set forth when the road(Ogun) waits, famished"
- Soyinka
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
PROF WOLE SOYINKA IS NOT AN ATHIEST, THATS FALSE INFO. HE IS AN OGUN WORSHIPPER. A TRADITIONALIST. AND HE LOVES PALMWINE, THAT IS HIS DRINK AND ALL HE OFFERS ON VISIT. HE ALSO RESIDES IN ABEOKUTA, ND HE ENJOYS HUNTING FOR GAME AT HIS LEISURE.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Yemlizzy(f): 8:50pm On Nov 26, 2013
Delafruita: what do u mean by "despite his being an atheist...".when did been an atheist and been successful become inversely propotional?
Haba naa take it easy we aint fighting.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by alcuin(m): 8:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
gratiaeo:

"Does he really deserve respect?"....you mean to say, right

Well, son, he is one of the shining lights in this country. Only few Africans are as prestigious as him.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by pharmow: 9:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
Though his father was an Anglican minister, Wole was an atheist

I will never judge a man based on his religious Ideology. He has his reason for being an Atheist and I respect him for that. Besides, those of you criticizing him for being an Atheist, how many of you, your pastors or Imams ever stood up for the poor people cause to the extent of putting their life at risk.

He’s got some pretty influential family members

I must say this is one of the most influential family to ever come out of Nigeria if not Africa in the modern time.

He helped found the first confraternity in Nigeria

Shame on the Ayes, Eyes, Buccas etc. that have bastardized the reason why Confraternity was founded in Nigeria and killing themselves like chicken. Up till date there are confraternities in American universities that are for social and political causes

He’s been arrested multiple times

Knowing that this man was vocal against Military government where Human right was not in existence and one could be dealt with without trials makes me respect him a lot. Is political activism was more pronounced than some bigots that claimed they fought for democracy

Despite imprisonment, Soyinka was wildly productive, writing and producing several plays

A lot of great people have written extraordinary literature work while in prison. One thing I know is that no matter how enemies tried to confine great minds, it will always blossom wherever it is. This attestify to this man greatness

Wole went into voluntary exile amid concerns over the political situation in Nigeria

At times, it is important to leave the warfront in order to get recharged and have a wider and holistic views of situations.

He has been married three times and divorced twice

This is to show that it takes Grace of God to deal with women in marital relationships. Even an intelligent brain couldn't avoid having issues in his marriages grin

He has never been afraid to criticize other nations or his own

This is what I respect him and his cousin Fela Anikulapo Kuti (Abami Eda) grin Respect! for. They never fear bearing their minds on socio-political, historical and economical issues both at home and abroad. U will never see them engage in tribalism or racism talks because intelligent minds will never involve in such. They support their opinions with reasonable facts. I remember one Fela live performance in Glastonbury where e dey yab oyinbo in their face grin. That man and confidence sha grin grin grin

In Nigeria, he is considered a political activist first and a playwright second

I believe his name is more synonymous with literature because of his achievement as the first and only winner of prestigious Noble laureate in literature from Nigeria.

He has been named Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

I know that handful of the National awards are given to people that didn't deserve them but this one is an exception as this award befits the holder.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ONUTOPSY(m): 9:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
IYA NGBALI: what have you achieved in your miserable life?who knows you in your family not to talk of your street?its you that needs help jo
HE NEED JESUS. WHAT SHALL IT PROFIT A MAN THAT GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL? WHAT CAN A MAN USE IN EXCHANGE FOR HIS SOUL. VANITY UPON VANITY ALL IS VANITY. MY BROTHER, EVEN YOU, YOU NEED JESUS.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ONUTOPSY(m): 9:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
pharmow:

I will never judge a man based on his religious Ideology. He has his reason for being an Atheist and I respect him for that. Besides, those of you criticizing him for being an Atheist, how many of you, your pastors or Imams ever stood up for the poor people cause to the extent of putting their life at risk.

I must say this is one of the most influential family to ever come out of Nigeria if not Africa in the modern time.

Shame on the Ayes, Eyes, Buccas etc. that have bastardized the reason why Confraternity was founded in Nigeria and killing themselves like chicken. Up till date there are confraternities in American universities that are for social and political causes

Knowing that this man was vocal against Military government where Human right was not in existence and one could be dealt with without trials makes me respect him a lot. Is political activism was more pronounced than some bigots that claimed they fought for democracy

A lot of great people have written extraordinary literature work while in prison. One thing I know is that no matter how enemies tried to confine great minds, it will always blossom wherever it is. This attestify to this man greatness

At times, it is important to leave the warfront in order to get recharged and have a wider and holistic views of situations.

This is to show that it takes Grace of God to deal with women in marital relationships. Even an intelligent brain couldn't avoid having issues in his marriages grin

This is what I respect him and his cousin Fela Anikulapo Kuti (Abami Eda) grin Respect! for. They never fear bearing their minds on socio-political, historical and economical issues both at home and abroad. U will never see them engage in tribalism or racism talks because intelligent minds will never involve in such. They support their opinions with reasonable facts. I remember one Fela live performance in Glastonbury where e dey yab oyinbo in their face grin. That man and confidence sha grin grin grin

I believe his name is more synonymous with literature because of his achievement as the first and only winner of prestigious Noble laureate in literature from Nigeria.

I know that handful of the National awards are given to people that didn't deserve them but this one is an exception as this award befits the holder.
ALL THESE ACHIEVEMENT WITHOUT JESUS IN HIS LIFE IS AS GOOD AS NOTHING. VANITY UPON VANITY ALL IS VANITY.ACHIEVEMENT WITHOUT JESUS EQUAL TO ETERNAL DOOM.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by MrMygeria(m): 9:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
Saraben: atheist practising atheism

Atheism isn't a practice. Atheism is a lack of belief in God.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by guiddoti: 9:33pm On Nov 26, 2013
*ahoy* wink
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Akshow: 9:38pm On Nov 26, 2013
gratiaeo:
what has he done not to deserve respect?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Akshow: 9:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
alcuin:

"Does he really deserve respect?"....you mean to say, right

Well, son, he is one of the shining lights in this country. Only few Africans are as prestigious as him.

hmmmmmm don't sweat it my bro. I have asked him a question let's wait for his reply.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by farem: 10:17pm On Nov 26, 2013
Wole Soyinka (WS)
our own William Shakespears (WS)

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 26, 2013
dolapobello1: This is wrong. He is not an atheist. He's an ardent Ogun worshipper.
Indeed he is an atheist, he however has a strong affinity for yoruba traditions and folklore as someone who is proud of his heritage....
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 27, 2013
Wole is a great man........

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Ayatullah(m): 1:10am On Nov 27, 2013
Thanks for telling us what we do not know of Wole Soyinka. Now let me tell you WHAT WOLE SOYINKA DO NOT KNOW:
* Wole Soyinka despite his brilliance DO NOT KNOW That THE ALMIGHTY GOD GAVE HIM HIS BRILLIANT BRAIN.
*Wole Soyinka DO NOT NOT KNOW THAT IT IS THOSE WHO ARE UNGRATEFUL THAT REJECT THE EXISTENCE OF THEIR CREATOR.
Wole Soyinka IS THEREFORE A BIG FAILURE!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Ayatullah(m): 1:35am On Nov 27, 2013
gratiaeo:
Did he really deserve respect?

How can someone who did not acknowledge THE CREATOR deserve respect? He deserves no respect AT ALL shocked
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 3:38am On Nov 27, 2013
He has been married to his third and current wife, Adefolake Soyinka, since 1989 and has three children with her (he also has children by his other wives). Adefolake is a former student of Wole’s.

Eziokwu
Na so e dey romance university students
Chei
Randy professor
Wonders
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 3:42am On Nov 27, 2013
farem: Wole Soyinla (WS)
our William Shakespears (WS)

No he is not WS but OS
His name is Oluwole

Kai
Oluwole
no be where dem dey make fake things
Oluwole passports and visas grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 5:26am On Nov 27, 2013
Last JOB recruitment 0PPORTUNITY for 2013 now on in GOLDEN LIFE International, LAGOS Nigeria.
VACANCIES available for only WAEC certificate holders with work experience,UNDERGRADUATES and GRADUATES.
COMPULSORY REQUIREMENT- applicants must reside in lagos.
COMPANY BENEFITS- *Very attractive salary scale with incentives and bonuses
*Flexible working hours
*Free staff bus
*weekly free day
*friendly working environment and many more...
for the venue and time of the interview in Lagos
¤kindly share¤
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by henryvirus(m): 5:34am On Nov 27, 2013
Nice one but He is not an atheist.....he is a traditional worshipper....Atheist dnt believe in d existence of any supreme entity. Soyinka belives in Ogun,Sango,Oya, etc.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by LadyH(f): 6:22am On Nov 27, 2013
click2cbn: Nne, i dikwa active dis night! Jisie ike oh
stalker! angry

grin kiss
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by castielo(m): 6:42am On Nov 27, 2013
"For what shall it profit a man if he gains d whole world( fame, wealth) but loses his soul"

You are one of those dat think wealth and fame is all u can live for.. you'd probably sacrifice an infant in ur family to attain it. but i tell you diz day, there's more to ur existence than these things. your main on diz earth is to worship God and giv him glory.. and if he should bless u with fortune, would you now say he does not exist?
Back to him.. what really has he achieved? what value has his so-called achievement placed in ur life? he introduced occultism to ur people, and for dat u revere him and call it achievement. gud thinking hombrè

"I will make the heathen know that I am God, says the Lord"
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:13am On Nov 27, 2013
Baby mama:

Eziokwu
Na so e dey romance university students
Chei
Randy professor
Wonders
Shut up! Wole Soyinka wasn't romancing his students. If he was, then Adefolake Soyinka (nee Doherty) who graduated from Dramatic Arts in 1983, that would letter be his wife wouldn't have graduated with 2:2 but 2:1 or first class.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:17am On Nov 27, 2013
castielo:
"For what shall it profit a man if he gains d whole world( fame, wealth) but loses his soul"

You are one of those dat think wealth and fame is all u can live for.. you'd probably sacrifice an infant in ur family to attain it. but i tell you diz day, there's more to ur existence than these things. your main on diz earth is to worship God and giv him glory.. and if he should bless u with fortune, would you now say he does not exist?
Back to him.. what really has he achieved? what value has his so-called achievement placed in ur life? he introduced occultism to ur people, and for dat u revere him and call it achievement. gud thinking hombrè

"I will make the heathen know that I am God, says the Lord"
I heard of a pastor who loves Wole Soyinka's literary prowess. He prays for him to "know" God before he dies.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ilenaira: 7:45am On Nov 27, 2013
Whatever he is, I'm sure he'll find the various 'preachers' here amusing. Gullible child-like Africans for whom 'God' didn't exist until Arabs/Europeans brought it. Jesus ko, antoine ni. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Naked Truth (18+) / ***all In The Name Of Love*** / Wole Soyinka With A Guitar (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.