Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:11 AM

Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? (26783 Views)

The 130 Titles Of The Pacesetters Series / Who Remembers The Pacesetters Novel / Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by chairman: 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2005
Hi Guys,
Do y'all remember Pacesetters books? They are published by Macmillan and Popular titles include Evbu My love, The Cyclist, Sisi, Kidnapped, Too Cold for Comfort, Black Cobra, etc.

They used to be Popular in the 80's when I believe most of us were growing up. Guys respond!

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by IAH(f): 2:27pm On Aug 10, 2005
Yes! Director, The hopeful lovers, For Mbatha and Rabeka, Felicia, The Equatorial Assignment, The Undesirable Element, Symphony of Destruction, Stop Press:Murder, etc.  I think I read almost all the Pacestters books!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Vongauche(m): 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2005
I remember a few titles like Agony in her voice, "the worshippers" and the money doublers. Those are the few books I actually read a s a child. Good packaging, stories etc. Shame the publishers, Macmillan (i think) decided never to do it again cos they'll make a loss (duh!). Real shame. There some good Nigerian and African novels in the 80's with a western-style stories but with an african context which made them very interesting.
These Pacesetter books are some of the things I should buy when I make money and I'm older by God's grace. 'tried searching ebay for them but was unsuccessful.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by dominobaby(f): 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2005
Sure I do recall. Then back in school, we would even go to the extent of reciting the titles of each book one after the other: Director, The Smugglers, The undesirable Element, Christmas in the city, Felicia....................... can't remember them sequentially now.

They were actually lovely books and still are just that you don't come across them like way back.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Chxta(m): 7:07am On Aug 22, 2005
How does one get such books for posterity sake?
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by delarontus(f): 11:04am On Aug 22, 2005
Good news! Macmillan has started publishing the books again. Check your local bookstores as i 've been reading the adverts in the papers lately.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by IAH(f): 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2005
Really? I wish I could get them here. They are worth re-reading and keeping for my grand[b]sh[/b]ildren.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by fabian(f): 11:19am On Sep 09, 2005
I do, I do, I do!
The worshippers,
The money doublers, The other side of town, Rich girl, Poor boy, Harvest of Love, Race against Rats, Teardrops at Sunset, Love, Zero hour............................
Wow, where can one buy them, delarontus do you know
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by delarontus(f): 2:02pm On Sep 09, 2005
I think one can find them in the bookshops where school books are sold. Macmillan started republishing them to encourage the reading culture in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by fabian(f): 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2005
Aye, Aye, Thanks!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by zeora(f): 11:14pm On Sep 19, 2005
where i can i get pacesetter cheaping in london, cuz they don't have it here in the u.s
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Tobi(m): 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2005
i have fond memory of these books too...my favorites were "The Instrument", Sisi, Rich Girl Bad boy. its indeed a piece of goodnews to know that these books will be avaialble again.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by legs(f): 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2005
if i find them i will buy them all, those books were really good. I loved evbu my love and sisi, i am sure i read all of them. After awhile i think they started publishing new ones but they didnt cut it i think thats when the pacesetteers series sort out died off. Who knows any book store where we can get them?
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by pocahontas: 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2005
Ah, they are still available.  To my surprise I found they still exist. A friend surprised me when i got a birthday present from her and it turned out to be a Pacesetter novel! Apparently she got it from a site (i typed in 'pacesetternovels' - all one word - in google and it was the second link).

I later ordered 'Sisi' and 'Felicia' for a friend's daughter's 13th birthday as I thought they are perfect gifts for young adults too. Her mum, who remembers them, was pleasantly surprised and took them to read herself before her daughter.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by fabian(f): 5:43pm On Oct 19, 2005
Pocahontas please hook a sister up! i need to get those two... Sisi and felicia. help!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by pocahontas: 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2005
Hi Fabian,

I got the books from the website that you see when you do the search I said (I don't know if I can say here, you know, don't know if its advertising).
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by fabian(f): 10:16am On Oct 20, 2005
Ok, its all good, i will do the search! thanks wink
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by gentleone(f): 2:41pm On Oct 27, 2005
oh yes...........Rich girl,Poor boy, Harvest of Love, Teardrops at Sunset
oh my...... those were my first novels before i started reading M&B....
yes Macmillian did publish in the papers(punch to be exact) of recent the books they had available and the pacessetters series was there. here's their address;
4 Industrial Avenue, Ilupeju Industrial Estate
Lagos Lagos State
Phone Numbers: [+2341] 4962185, 4961188

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by fabian(f): 3:03pm On Oct 27, 2005
Thx gentle one! u da best!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Nnenna1(f): 1:59am On Nov 09, 2005
Hey, speaking of Pacesetters Books, there's this really good novel I read years ago. It's about a young man who returns from the Biafran war, only to find out that his wife was given away (by his family) to an abusive bicycle repairer as a new husband (if I remember correctly). Well, the young man looks for her and such, and they actually get together (it happens on the day when a cyclist called Zorro perfoms in their village), but the new husband finds out, and then tragedy strikes.  Not exactly Achebe in comparison, but the novel was actually very haunting undecided. A week after reading it I was still thinking about the characters.

I think it's a Pacesetters novel, and I'm wondering if anyone has read this same storyline and knows the title. I really want to read it again. Check it out somewhere and buy it.

Any answers to this will be appreciated. thanx.  grin
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ajisafe: 2:08am On Nov 09, 2005
@Nnenna, the title is The Cyclist.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Nnenna1(f): 2:52am On Nov 09, 2005
Wow, thanks a lot Ajisafe! grin
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by pocahontas: 3:31pm On Nov 16, 2005
I haven't read 'The Cyclist', sounds interesting.

My favourite was 'Teardrops at Sunset', the story is so original and the tragedies, my!  I read it years back but misplaced it.  I just got it again.

Check out the following blog - http://uknaija..com/2005/11/pacesetter-novels-and-popular-reading.html
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ajisafe: 3:59am On Nov 17, 2005
My favorite is ON THE ROAD by Kalu Okpi.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Babydoc1: 12:13am On Nov 20, 2005
hey guys...i was seraching pacesetters wheni stumbled upon this website... i actually quickly registered so as to ask this ques...
i found the website and the books i wanted...but has neone on this website actually bought any books from this website because i want to know if this is the real deal before i start ordering 20-30 books... i'd hate to have some 60 year old hausa man stealing my identity ... everything internet is a bit shady and mama ain't raise no fool
thanks
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by pocahontas: 4:31pm On Nov 21, 2005
Hi Babydoc1,

They are registered with (and have a legitimate account on) PayPal so that at least put my mind at rest.  I have bought a few from them and friends have bought too without any problem.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by pocahontas: 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2005
Babydoc1

On second thought, buy one or two first to check their legitimacy.  Thats what I did.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by natasha: 5:03pm On Nov 21, 2005
my favourites are "Evbu my Love, the hopeful lovers, too cold for comfort and the smugglers
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Jacqie(f): 7:45am On Nov 22, 2005
smiley yeah! they were really nice. do we still av them
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by laolu: 9:47am On Nov 27, 2005
I loved "Ebvu my Love"!!! Wow! Remembering those books brings tears to my eyes. They were such beautiful books.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by prettyH(f): 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2005
Those books were my saving grace in those days that boredom nearly kpaied me. Infact i had quite alot, i can't even remeber the names again. Only God knows where they r sef.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by hotspice(f): 3:44pm On Dec 02, 2005
when boys were boys and girls were girls

b4 the rain of m&b

those boys were the bomb and still is.

doesnt mata wat decade u were born

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"coming To America" - Diary Of An Illegal Immigrant / Why You Shouldn't Fart In A Crowded Elevator!!! / Sun Newspaper Vs Punch Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.