Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,193 members, 7,815,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair (20297 Views)

Victoria Daropale Wins "Fresh Faces Modeling Contest" In Spain / My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 26, 2013
African- American teen Vanessa Dyke who schools at Faith Christian Academy, a private school in Orlando since the third grade has been threatened with expulsion if she doesnt 'cut' and 'shape' her hair.

She says:

"It says that I'm unique," said VanDyke. "First of all, it's puffy and I like it that way. I know people will tease me about it because it's not straight. I don't fit in."

Apparently, it seems the school has has a dress code and rules against how students can wear their hair.

The student handbook reads: "Hair must be a natural color and must not be a distraction," and goes on to state examples that include, but are not limited to, mohawks, shaved designs and rat tails.

But the mother doesn't seem to find how her hair violates the school rules. She says:

A distraction to one person is not a distraction to another," said VanDyke's mother, Sabrina Kent. "You can have a kid come in with pimples on his face. Are you going to call that a distraction?..."I'm going to fight for my daughter. If she wants her hair like that, she will keep her hair like that. There are people out there who may think that natural hair is not appropriate. She is beautiful the way she is."

Source:http://m.local10.com/news/africanamerican-girl-faces-expulsion-over-natural-hair/-/16717752/23165492/-/wf1ej/-/index.html

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Lachynos2k2(m): 11:45am On Nov 28, 2013
WILL U TRIM DAT SMELLY BUSH U CALL HAIR!

3 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:33am On Nov 29, 2013
Lachynos2k2: WILL U TRIM DAT SMELLY BUSH U CALL HAIR!

Why on earth will you say that?

22 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by jovialjov(f): 11:18am On Nov 30, 2013
Wow! Beautiful girl....beautiful hair

The school is just being jealous angry

17 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Adaeze003(f): 12:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
Wow! Beautiful hair! They should sue the school.
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by dominique(f): 4:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
What a pretty girl with lovely hair, me sef go wan do yanga if I had that kain hair but rules are rules. Imagine her sitting in class, the pupil directly behind her might not be able to see properly with all that hair in the way. She can have it braided or packed in a neat bun for school. For weekends and school breaks, she can then leave it to fall freely the way she likes.

25 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by babestell(f): 4:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
Nonsense! The school is asking that the parents make their daughter's hair less bulky, is that wrong. What happened to corn rows and packing of hair. This is an example of people who just want to look for trouble

5 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by AbuMikey(m): 5:19pm On Nov 30, 2013

If she were my daughter,and does not not want to cut trim her hair, then even the school won't force her into cutting the hair!

3 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 30, 2013
The girl should just braid her hair. Imagine sitting behind her in class. Talk about blockage !! angry

6 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by astronautog(m): 10:37am On Dec 01, 2013
How that 1 dey concern agbero or ASUU strike??if sshe like carry briaza 4 head call am brazilan hair na 4 her pocket

2 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Xtaceeey: 10:37am On Dec 01, 2013

Real african man mentality... Uno even lyk beta tin sef

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 01, 2013
I have nothing to say since I carry bald head...

2 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by yomalex(m): 10:38am On Dec 01, 2013
Nice Hair on A Beautiful Girl

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 01, 2013
Smh I really dont know seun's problem. Can someone please stop feeding us with ammerican stories. infact i might be forced to create my own website for NIGERIANS. Abeg abeg abeg now. Ii don do.

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by olorunthobby(f): 10:40am On Dec 01, 2013
I hope she grows her
hair out so big it starts forming orbiting satellites. cheesy This kids hair kicks so much a s s ! Love her wink
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Aromas: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2013
ReineViolette:

Why on earth will you say that?

Chai!!!!!!!!! Na heaven u dey expect make e go talk am?

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by astronautog(m): 10:43am On Dec 01, 2013
big-t:

u should be banned till 2030
angry
and u should be banned till 3030 4 quoting him

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by homesteady(m): 10:43am On Dec 01, 2013
Wow! Her hair is beautiful
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Ddy(m): 10:43am On Dec 01, 2013

Statement from pit of hell

5 Likes

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by hemartins(m): 10:43am On Dec 01, 2013
foreign natural beauty. Let the mum send her to another school. I will pay the school fees.
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by bionicdude(m): 10:44am On Dec 01, 2013
d chick is fyn.she should be happy coz i know lots of skuls in naija where low cut is compulsory for girls
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by bigt2(m): 10:44am On Dec 01, 2013
big-t:

u should be banned till 2030
angry
the school is stereotyped.
Beauricracy!!! Beauricracy
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by Hanihairy(m): 10:44am On Dec 01, 2013
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by BUSHHUNTER: 10:45am On Dec 01, 2013
Her Hair no even plenty Try see aw my own plenty reach Una go reject me as una In-Law
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by israel007: 10:45am On Dec 01, 2013
[size=15pt]
Ok. Won't happen if she was my child. I'd rather change the school. N0nsense upon ingredient!

[/size]

1 Like

Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by free2ryhme: 10:49am On Dec 01, 2013

u such a looney
Re: Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair by bebe2(f): 10:49am On Dec 01, 2013
This is the making of a society out law , simple rule for school d child can adhere to.

And d parents are there trying to get publicity.

Simple thing, she is a child, weave that thing and conform to the rules of the school.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Final Moment Of Crowning Chioma Obiadi Stephenie As Miss Nigeria 2016 (Video / Please I Need A Detailed Review On Asantee Papaya Soap / Everything For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.