Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? (2462 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Babe2sure(f): 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2015
illicit:
Any John Grisham novel are good except THE BLEACHERS, he fell hand on that one, Hadley Chase's novels are classics anytime.
Mario puzo's Godfather
All Robert Ludlum
and so many other writers i cant remember their names now
Pls i implore you to read Stephen kings a.k.a Richard Bachman's novels, this guy is a drunkard in real life but knows how to scare or amuse u, try his The Rainmaker, The Stand, Carrie, Cujo, Salems lot, The Shining, Creepshow, The shawshank redemption (adapted into dat movie Prison break), Firestarter, Skeleton crew, The Tommyknockers, Different Seasons (a combination of 4 interesting novels, apt pupil, rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption, the body, the breathing method.)
I read writers not just random books, some of my best writers are Sidney Sheldon, John Grisham, Stephen king, Dean koontz, Terry kay, Richard wright, Agatha Christie, Chinua Achebe, Robert Ludlum, Mario Puzo etc i dislike Danielle steele or those cheesy predictable love and romance tales
there were a lot of novels i read when i was younger but dnt care abt the author or title then, i really miss them now but have no way of getting them back now, STEPHEN KING books are my reccomendation for you
boboyekini
almacherish
babe2sure
omavik
2scorehigh
deife
sometimes its not even all about the storyline but how versed, crafty and sensible and how committed the writer is

Thanks for the recommendation. I have actually heard of Stephen kings novels 'It' and 'The green mile' but I have not got around to read any of his novels, though, I have it in mind. I still have loads of novels I have but have not read. But, anytime I am ready to read him, I will surely refer to this page.

You made mistake there 'The rainmaker' was written by John Grisham not Stephen Kings, I have read it.

I read writers too not just any random books cos normally if a writer is good you will always want to read more of his/her books.

I don't agree with your last post. No matter how good a writer is, he/she will experience 'Writers Block' or 'his bad day' which may make them write rubbish. I.e John Grisham books (the bleachers and A painted house) which people complain about. If you had known 'the bleachers' is not interesting I don't think you would have gone ahead to read it. You see..... Storyline is everything. It matters irrespective of who wrote it..
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by illicit(m): 1:55pm On Jan 11, 2015
Babe2sure:

Thanks for the recommendation. I have actually heard of Stephen kings novels 'It' and 'The green mile' but I have not got around to read any of his novels, though, I have it in mind. I still have loads of novels I have but have not read. But, anytime I am ready to read him, I will surely refer to this page.

You made mistake there 'The rainmaker' was written by John Grisham not Stephen Kings, I have read it.

I read writers too not just any random books cos normally if a writer is good you will always want to read more of his/her books.

I don't agree with your last post. No matter how good a writer is, he/she will experience 'Writers Block' or 'his bad day' which may make them write rubbish. I.e John Grisham books (the bleachers and a painted house) which people complain about. If you had known 'the bleachers' is not interesting I don't think you would have gone ahead to read it. You see..... Storyline is everything. It matters irrespective of who wrote it..
oh yeah really, my bad, thanks i will make correction, Rainmaker is by grisham, i will edit my post, bleacher sucks, its so boring, i have novels that are very dry but there is something captivating about them that i find it hard to dispose them, an example is The day of the scorpion by Paul scott, a very long boring novel but his characters are always unusual... Stephen king has a way of making an ordinary event or story fascinating, an example is the Runner, the body/fall from innocence, seems you are an avid reader like me, about storyline it dont matter in the work of some writers, it would bore an average reader for example Ernest hemmingway's novels,
i love grisham, the Pelican brief was his first novel i came accross, i made the mistake of lending bleachers to a friend i was encouraging to read Grisham, d next day the guy nearly swore for me lol, i had to go get him a copy of the rainmaker for compesation, recommend me a writer please
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 11, 2015
illicit:

what kind of novels do you like most
Romance nd Thrillers... I also enjoy reading educative novels,, d main reason i read John Grisham's books..They gv u mre idea bout Law... Generally, i'm an all-round reader... cos dia r some novels dat hv no romantic/thrilling content but r still vry captivating e.g. Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,,Hidden Star by K.Sello Duiker nd mre...
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by illicit(m): 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2015
Omavik:
Romance nd Thrillers... I also enjoy reading educative novels,, d main reason i read John Grisham's books..They gv u mre idea bout Law... Generally, i'm an all-round reader... cos dia r some novels dat hv no romantic/thrilling content but r still vry captivating e.g. Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,,Hidden Star by K.Sello Duiker nd mre...
ookaay.... you should read Lauren Oliver's Before i fall, you would like it, a teenage girl died and has to live her last day over and over again, like she was given another chance to do things differently and avoid the sudden death, am sure you will like it...
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by duperola(f): 5:19pm On Jan 11, 2015
pls who has read 'd second lady' and 'not without my daughter'?i want 2 know d authors.i read d coverless editions
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 11, 2015
illicit:

ookaay.... you should read Lauren Oliver's Before i fall, you would like it, a teenage girl died and has to live her last day over and over again, like she was given another chance to do things differently and avoid the sudden death, am sure you will like it...
Wow,,sounds interesting,,will check it out...

1 Like

Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Babe2sure(f): 11:27am On Jan 12, 2015
illicit:

oh yeah really, my bad, thanks i will make correction, Rainmaker is by grisham, i will edit my post, bleacher sucks, its so boring, i have novels that are very dry but there is something captivating about them that i find it hard to dispose them, an example is The day of the scorpion by Paul scott, a very long boring novel but his characters are always unusual... Stephen king has a way of making an ordinary event or story fascinating, an example is the Runner, the body/fall from innocence, seems you are an avid reader like me, about storyline it dont matter in the work of some writers, it would bore an average reader for example Ernest hemmingway's novels,
i love grisham, the Pelican brief was his first novel i came accross, i made the mistake of lending bleachers to a friend i was encouraging to read Grisham, d next day the guy nearly swore for me lol, i had to go get him a copy of the rainmaker for compesation, recommend me a writer please

Before I buy or borrow any novel, I normally check the ratings on google. When Grishams books was rated by a particular avid reader, he rated 'The bleachers' last. He said, 'it sucks and does he want to spoil his career with that one'? That was when I got to know that it sucks. But to me, we can still excuse him, they always have their bad days.
As per dry novels being captivating, I think some of Grisham's novels fell into that category, I mean his choice of words is windy- complicated and it does not make easiest read, but yet it will be interesting at the end. That is why it normally take me more time to finish Grisham's novels compared to others. My best of his books is 'The firm'

You got me cracking my ribs with bleachers that you borrowed your friend.grin

Mary Higging books
Jeffery Archer books- most especially Kane and Abel
Leon Uris- Exodus
Scott Turrow- Presumed Innocent
Truman Capote - in cold blood
Thomas Harris- the silence of the lamb

I have not read Ted Dekker though, but they said his books- blink,black,red and white are quite good.

If you are into emotional books, you can check my thread 'BOOKS THAT MADE YOU EMOTIONAL'.
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by illicit(m): 12:26pm On Jan 12, 2015
Tnks babe2sure, i totally forgot the likes of scott turrow, jeffery archer and thomas harris, these are very good writers, I ve read turrow's presumed innocent, and thomas's silence of the lambs and hannibal...
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Babe2sure(f): 4:29pm On Jan 12, 2015
illicit:
Tnks babe2sure, i totally forgot the likes of scott turrow, jeffery archer and thomas harris, these are very good writers, I ve read turrow's presumed innocent, and thomas's silence of the lambs and hannibal...

Okay.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2015
Babe2sure:

I don't agree with your last post. No matter how good a writer is, he/she will experience 'Writers Block' or 'his bad day' which may make them write rubbish. I.e John Grisham books (the bleachers and a painted house) which people complain about. If you had known 'the bleachers' is not interesting I don't think you would have gone ahead to read it. You see..... Storyline is everything. It matters irrespective of who wrote it..
Hmm....
I enjoyed John Grisham's A Painted House.
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Babe2sure(f): 5:28am On Jan 13, 2015
BoboYekini:

Hmm....
I enjoyed John Grisham's A Painted House.

Of course, there would always be few exceptions. But a greater majority of people who have read it are complaining about it. Majority carry the vote grin tongue.

I will borrow it later when I don't have interesting book to read, just to get a glimpse of what they are talking about, since one man's meat is another man's poison. I may like it.......who knows?
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by illicit(m): 6:26am On Jan 13, 2015
Babe2sure are u in lagos?
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by Babe2sure(f): 6:44am On Jan 13, 2015
illicit:
Babe2sure are u in lagos?

Yes.
Re: Whats Your All Time Favourite Novel?? by illicit(m): 6:59am On Jan 13, 2015
Babe2sure:

Yes.
k

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crown Of Thorns - A Story Of Love, Hatred, Lust And Adventure / How I Became My Father's Concubine (episode 2) / xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.