Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,324 members, 7,819,107 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? - Computers (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? (37432 Views)

3.5g Hsdpa Universal Internet Modem For As Low As N5,799 / Price Of Mtn 3.5g Modems / How Do I Configure Mtn 3.5g Usb Modem To Share Internet To 5 Pc's Using Router (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by evanox: 5:09pm On Apr 13, 2009
Hi all,
i really sicked off from MTn, so m planing to buy Starcomm. but i need help. i onlt care abt a connection to call on skype. tht's all. i dun care abt downloads.just skype voice call.
and i live in Portharcourt; so starcomm usb. will satisfy me here? i need professional advice.
thnx,
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by otokx(m): 11:56am On Apr 14, 2009
MTN has really shot themselves in the foot this time around. They should have informed their subscribers before embarking on this crazy upgrade.

@Evanox, when getting starcomms, insist that the usb modem is not the genie type.

Am going to try the zoom guys, slow and steady they say wins the race.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by abhosts(m): 1:16pm On Apr 14, 2009
Patronizing Zoom is at your own peril. When they are slow, they are really slowwwww. If you have Zain's EDGE or 3G coverage, go for them -- they are pretty stable. But if it is their GPRS coverage you have, forget it.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by mjay(m): 4:08pm On Apr 14, 2009
have you all tried gloooo?? though its post paid but the speed is kooooool and the coverage is gooood. I use MTN night plan but it is total messsss up
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by march881(m): 7:03pm On Apr 14, 2009
the saying "the Devil u knw is better than the Angel you dont know" I left my starcomms Evdo for this thing called the MTN 3G guess what?Its the WORST connection in the world,It never hits 3G, it give you EDGE/256kbps or GPRS/53.6kbps all the time.I am seriously regretting why i dumped my EVDO for it.I strongly advice that you stay away from it.I heard the Multi Links is super fast this days can u imagine it coming with 900kbps? lol , Thats super fast
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 7:52pm On Apr 14, 2009
march881:

"the Devil u knw is better than the Angel you dont know"
yea tht's why i had to wait 3 days for mtn to get themselves together.

march881:

I left my starcomms Evdo for this thing called the MTN 3G guess what?Its the WORST connection in the world,It never hits 3G, it give you EDGE/256kbps  or GPRS/53.6kbps all the time.
I'm afraid you're not within MTN's 3g coverage. Its not magic, u cant have a HSDPA modem outside the 3G coverage and expect 3G speeds.

march881:

I strongly advice that you stay away from it.
noted. shay na me dey pay the bills. I'll rather keep spending the 4k on a Total Freedom account monthly and get unlimited 3g bandwidth 24/7 from mtn than spend 1 naira on starcommssmiley By the way, i have an MDC 1x PCMCIA modem and a Sierra EVDO PCMCIA modem, both under starcomms network, to dash out, for anyone in ph. really tired of them calling me up begging me to renew subscriptions, and i really do not have the heart to tell them to stop calling (hell, its always a chic who calls, wht d'u expect? tongue )
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by march881(m): 8:00pm On Apr 14, 2009
@ Dual Core, could you be soo kind to tell me the coverage areas? I have tested this modem every where in lagos, ikeja,lagos island,victoria island, ikotun, Mushin and i am serious i only had 3G connection for 40 mins in Suru- lere where i stay.IF i have not actually been to any plc with the covergage area,i would love to test it there. Whats this thing about the 4k u talking about?I pay 10k monthly subscription for 24hrs access.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 8:11pm On Apr 14, 2009
my apologies, i don't know the coverage areas in Lagos. I'm in port harcourt. let's hope someone will soon come up with a list of coverage areas in lagos.

march881:

Whats this thing about the 4k u talking about?I pay 10k monthly subscription for 24hrs access.
erm. . . lets pretend i didn't say that  lipsrsealed tongue lipsrsealed
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by blackweaver(m): 10:10pm On Apr 14, 2009
Dual Core:

shay na me dey pay the bills. I'll rather keep spending the 4k on a Total Freedom account monthly and get unlimited 3g bandwidth 24/7 from mtn than spend 1 naira on starcommssmiley

i take it you don't download large files unless you've found a way to beat the 3gb download limit
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by march881(m): 10:15pm On Apr 14, 2009
@ Dual Core: so ur going to let a bro trow money away like that?Kindly keep me posted on march881@yahoo.com, Hoping to hear from you soon as i would be due on the 20th.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 5:00am On Apr 15, 2009
blackweaver:

i take it you don't download large files unless you've found a way to beat the 3gb download limit
i have a rapidshare premium account and i queue up 3 to 4 gig of stuffs to download at nights.
No, i am not under the 3gig limit, i didnt beat my way around anything tho.
Its beyond my jurisdictions here to go further as per how i use mtn, my point is. . . MTN just rocks so the haters just need to lay away their frustrations and let this thing work for them.

Please its makes no sense choocing starcomms over ANY ISP, i've been there before and its a no no.
march881:

as i would be due on the 20th.
due for waat? child birth? u be woman? tongue

here's my speedtest i just did

dont work with the ISP name and location, thts just some proxy crap.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by lynxnoon(m): 11:37am On Apr 15, 2009
@dualcore
Hmmmmm am getting really tempted oh!
Hw far?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by erico2k2(m): 3:49pm On Apr 15, 2009
Good days Guys
this information is for those of us who live in EU or America
when you arevisiting Nigeria  just buy a P as you go SIm with you from EU or America, thats what Im using,I live in the Uk and when I go to 9ja I just go with my PYG Tmobile SIm,  I got two phones I use, SOny Ericson K810 i  and my Nokia N95 8GB, now on both phones, I can roam to any network in Nigeria as far asthe Network is available, I just have to search and chose,while Im in Nigeria I have noticed that some network only provide GPRS in some areas why some provide 3G coverage, but today I just noticed I now have the UMTS in my local area (Sapele Delta State) this is faster than 3G or the so called 3.5G, its 4G in practice,to tell you how fast it is, Im actualy upgrading my laptop from scratch,downloading more sotwares,chatting on here and mailing my mates all at same time no qualms.
Cost xxxxx
Now it would normaly cost £1 per day(unlimited usage) but thing is  you can only top up from the Uk for Tmobile,I also discovered that if you roam to Glo you can dial 150 just as you do in the UK,there is a promo going on with Tmobile, text WEB to 441  and you will get a 5 days pass for £2.50(unlimited usage) aint  that soo cool.So its cheaper,  faster and less stressfull, you dont need al them modem etc, you dont even have to speak to MTN or go to thier office, all you have to do is get Tmobile internet settings on your proposed mobile and MTN internet setting too or GLo or what ever one you wanna Roam to.

NB:you cant roam to Starcomms or Multilinks, they are CDMA, all what i have just said are only true for GSM based networks smiley oh and it works better with MTN grin
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 6:42pm On Apr 15, 2009
thts the friggin culprit tht has been robbing me off of my precious mtn bandwidth in the past 4 days. tongue

oh well, i think MTN is done with their "upgrade". funny, all the loopholes are still in tact so i'm wondering whether the loopholes were upgraded too. tongue
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2009
erico2k2:

, I just have to search and chose,while Im in Nigeria I have noticed that some network only provide GPRS in some areas why some provide 3G coverage, but today I just noticed I now have the UMTS in my local area (Sapele Delta State) this is faster than 3G or the so called 3.5G, its 4G in practice,to tell you how fast it,
stop embarassing yourself in public, umts is a 3G standard based on wcdma(3G). with a little software upgrade you get hspa. (3.5G)
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by lynxnoon(m): 9:52pm On Apr 15, 2009
hmmm its true oh @DC
Luks lyk dis mtn upgrade has really "upgraded"; my special sim is moving @, well almost if nt @ Egprs level
I wonda wat d main 3.5G wud be like?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 16, 2009
Please can anyone confirm if the Nite plan is now connecting??I cant Log in at all, And Does it need a Configuration to connect?If it does can anyone tell me what it is and how to go about it, I'm new to it, Thanks all
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 5:48am On Apr 16, 2009
MTN has been stable for about 24 hours, so all bundles should be working. you don't need any extra configurations. if its a nokia fone u're using to connect, just make sure u use PC suite and choose "MTN Nigeria Nigeria" from the list of settings. If its the normal mtn hsdpa modem, then u're good to go with no extra config.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by SUXXI(m): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2009
Same here in Delta state. Mtn keeps disconnecting after some few minutes. I believe they are doing maintenance thats why. When network is stable, its very fast and with mtn 3.5G services here,browsing is at its BEST. My brother Dloaded 70mb in 2min using Nokia N82.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 7:55am On Apr 16, 2009
MTN is stable now, so y'all stop complaining and connect. I've been connected for 9 hours and pulled out about 4gig or more.

ouch!! as i was typing this post, the mumu thing just disconnected  grin
i think its my phone's wireless thingy. its not from mtn. The aluminum heat sink i made for my phone musta become hot by conduction since i turned the ac off a while ago.
well its back up  tongue

SUXXI:

70mb in 2min using Nokia N82.
that's 70000 kb in 120 seconds
which is 35000kb in 60 seconds
which is 17500kb in 30 seconds
which is 8750kb in 15 seconds
which is 583kb in 1 second.
(sorry i dunno maths, so i had to break it down like this)

never had 550 kb/s with mtn
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by lynxnoon(m): 10:37am On Apr 16, 2009
men i dey miss oh!!
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by erico2k2(m): 11:12am On Apr 16, 2009
flyuche:

stop embarassing yourself in public,  umts is a 3G standard based on wcdma(3G). with a little software upgrade you get hspa. (3.5G)
My Dear friend, I aint embarassing myself, being ignorant on something I dont know does not make me stupid,If I where you i would correct me on my ignorance,I was marely speaking to those who visit Nigeria from Abroad like Im doing at the Mo, I used them xpressions cos B4 my PC suit indicates just MTN GPRS but now it now says UMTS Tmobile UK UK Via MTN Nigeria,I aint here for which is best etc, just trying to let guys from abroad know they can hook up with no stress, you feel me wink wink
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2009
Dual Core:

MTN has been stable for about 24 hours, so all bundles should be working. you don't need any extra configurations. if its a nokia fone u're using to connect, just make sure u use PC suite and choose "MTN Nigeria Nigeria" from the list of settings. If its the normal mtn hsdpa modem, then u're good to go with no extra config.

@ Dual COre,

Thanks for the response, I just subscribed and my 2500 has been deducted which means I sent the code to the right place, But when ever I try to connect it says Failed to connect to network.Either Modem is used by another application of is not configured properly, I also chose MTN Nigeria Nigeria and its still thesame, I use Nokia 2600 Classic and I connect Via Bluutooth, Please do you have a idea of what the problem might be??Or perhaps I should go to their Office,

I called their customer care and one dumb lady told me I cant connect using phone as modem except I but the 16k Modem, angry
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by abhosts(m): 1:20pm On Apr 16, 2009
choose4me:

@ Dual COre,

Thanks for the response, I just subscribed and my 2500 has been deducted which means I sent the code to the right place, But when ever I try to connect it says Failed to connect to network.Either Modem is used by another application of is not configured properly, I also chose MTN Nigeria Nigeria and its still thesame, I use Nokia 2600 Classic and I connect Via Bluutooth, Please do you have a idea of what the problem might be??Or perhaps I should go to their Office,

I called their customer care and one dumb lady told me I cant connect using phone as modem except I but the 16k Modem, angry

Your connection is not properly configured. Even when you manage to connect, 2600 does not have UMTS or HSDPA, which will make your browsing a harrowing experience. The N2500 bundle only works at night.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 1:33pm On Apr 16, 2009
choose4me, the 2500 u paid  is for nite plan which starts at 10pm and ends at 5am. To check if it has been activated send the text 2 to 131 and wait for a response via text.

Please try connecting via cable. i cannot really provide any tech support for u while u are connected via bluetooth as i do not use that.

P.S: a few days back i tried setting up a connection via bluetooth on an E61 and i had errors (i cant remember if its same errors u're getting).
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2009
Thanks all, How about Nokia 3110c, That should work well rightPlease tell me before I get that one too because I will have to sell my Brand new 2600c, Please anyone knows if its ok??
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by Chuckdee(m): 8:29am On Apr 19, 2009
@Dual Core,

Please bro, how do i go about getiing a Rapidshare Premium account?? Will so much appreciate.
Inbox me @ chuckndee@gmail.com

10x
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 9:49am On Apr 19, 2009
Chuckdee, check rs81tech.com
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by stancozy(m): 2:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
Well, @ d.c, i have never had any problem connecting my E61 via blutooth. . I almost bought this modem ofa thingy but i just hessitated. . Now let me ask. .the 2k5, is it unlimeted browsing from 9 to 5[night only] for 31days ? 28days in feb[except leap ye] and 30 days for[sept.april, june and november]lol. . Guess i know my calender than i thought. , cos glo's is 4k 9 to 9[night only] with moden @ 14k5 for one month
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by stancozy(m): 9:56am On Apr 22, 2009
Still ''hoping'' for a reply

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

USA Used HP Elite Book 8460 core i5 For Sale. / 5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced / Surf The Web Anonymously!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.