Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,608 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU (3799 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by takedat(m): 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by ballabriggs: 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sack them and replace with Jonadunce PhDs?

Rubbish!!!
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by efizee: 6:49pm On Nov 28, 2013
they've been sacked already and you are there blabbing
yunglykmine: You have a point there.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by lincy(f): 6:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
majalisa: u don't really understand d issue in discuss so sharrap and learn
dat is the hight ur brain can offer ur mouth or do u hav better tin say.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by KweenAdz(f): 6:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
barcanista: Go To Hell ASUU, Go back to classroom, or be fired.

FYI: Nigerians are yearning to take over your jobs.

On FG decision we stand!

U are a cow.... Congratz on your desire to take over their jobs....mumu....u can never understand unless you're in d system.... So, just shut up pls....

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by awodman: 6:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Earlier this week a group of lecturers in Unilag gave ASUU a week ultimatum to call off this strike..those lecturers will sign the register and resume...

Spoke with a lecturer in UNN..he said once the register is opened he will fill his name in bold..I asked him the opinion of his colleagues..he said most are tired and no longer disposed to the strike...that they will also sign

The coming days are gonna be interesting..been Owed 5 months salary no be beans especially with Xmas fast approaching..Truth is ASUU will never remain same again

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by gerald09(m): 7:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
Hahahaha I laugh @ dis we all know most Nigerians and there "threats" to the FG, I bet u dey will call it off b4 d 4th. They will cum to d media n call it a "resolution has bin made so dey decided to call it off cos of the student". Just not to look weak.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by 99100(m): 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
FG should go ahead and sack any lecturer that refuse to yield to fed govt directive.
This directive/order is long overdue.
Afterall d universities need reshufling to rid it of some half-baked unqualified lecturers.
Thumb up mr Minister!
Thumb up Mr President!
It is not only wrong but suicidal to lock up our universities for about six months.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by gerald09(m): 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
ballabriggs: Sack them and replace with Jonadunce PhDs?

Rubbish!!!
Dude Jonathan was a product of Nigerian institution so technically the lecturers are already "dunce". So Jonathan will be doing the student a favour by sacking all dem "dunce" lecturers so dey don't comeout all "Jonadunce" as dey are now.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
take dat: Anyone with half a brain would know that the threat to sack the striking lecturers is an idle one and a display of empty bravado. Even if there is a ready-made market to recruit new lecturers from our large army of unemployed graduates, it will take the government a very long time to replace the sacked ones or will former lecturers turned politicians like Jerry Gana and co relinquish their political lives to return back to the classroom?

Besides, this threat is already 5 months late, sacking the lecturers now will put the university system into a bigger turmoil than what we have now. Are we just going to discard some of the very few erudite minds that we still have left to start with those with little or no experience? If the lecturers are sacked, are we planning to immediately replace them with ghosts(Nigeria is a country of ghosts, from ghost workers to ghost boko harams)? Won't universities advertise the vacant positions/offices? Won't it take time for those interested to apply? Won't it take time for the universities to complete the whole recruitment exercise, not to talk of a country riddled with bureaucratic problems? These processes will surely take time, even more than the students have already spent at home. The best bet is to continue with the negotiation, neither ASUU nor Government is a victim here, the real victims are the students.
Dont you know that the govt has intelligence information that some lecturers are already willing to resume work? Wait till events unfold in the coming weeks.

I dont think the idea is to sack all lecturers, rather it is to return the pressure on the leaders of the unions. If all labour unions insist on hundred percent implementation of their demands, this country and indeed the world will grind to a halt. ASUU and other unions which hope to emulate the current strategy of ASUU will also see from this action that govt can also bite.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by ba7man(m): 7:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
The downside of making threats is when someone calls your bluff.............You then have to put your money where your mouth is.

Grown men don't respond well to threats, there is always a "bargaining chip" and G.E.J has never discovered any in all his dealings.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
ba7man: The downside of making threats is when someone calls your bluff.............You then have to put your money where your mouth is.

Grown men don't respond well to threats, there is always a "bargaining chip" and G.E.J has never discovered any in all his dealings.
The govt needed to take drastic step after 5 months of "bargaining chip" failed. The ASUU strike has become very unpopular, except among haters of the president.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
Uni ABUJA??All this less privileged federal universities are talking when big skools are also talking...instead of uniabuja to focus on how to write dere 1st semester exams dey are playing ASUU politics..Express go soon leave dem
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by pinkguy(m): 8:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
ASUU are like boko haram when the started FG beg them to stop but the refuse but now the are been destroy in thier home, make their women widow over night very soon ASUU will feel the heat the end up in labour market as unemployable fools
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
awodman: Earlier this week a group of lecturers in Unilag gave ASUU a week ultimatum to call off this strike..those lecturers will sign the register and resume...

Spoke with a lecturer in UNN..he said once the register is opened he will fill his name in bold..I asked him the opinion of his colleagues..he said most are tired and no longer disposed to the strike...that they will also sign

The coming days are gonna be interesting..been Owed 5 months salary no be beans especially with Xmas fast approaching..Truth is ASUU will never remain same again

You have spoken well Bro, all the Federal University lecturers in the SS, SE and MD have all vowed to resume and put their names in BOLD once the registers are opened and people are here ranting rubbish.
It's only few lecturers in SW and Northern Fed Univs that are still interested in the strike for obvious reasons.
As for the State University lecturers, they should all hide their faces in shame, it's not like the F.G acknowledge their useless struggles in the stew.pid strike.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Hearme(m): 8:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
lincy: I wonder Y a Boss will ask a subordinate to go back to work and the boss is being quationed, ASUU is bitting more than can chew. The federal govt. Should audit the whole fED university, the should give account of the money that has be allocated to Fed uni. Before now .

We ar named by the white race "people with low IQ"

* ASUU embarked on strike lobbing for huge allocation even wen certain amont has being given to them, it went viral that same money that is ment for running of the accademic up keeps was shared among the lecturers and the mass didn't intervain, now they ar asking for more. I ask the so called low IQ profs. The little that hv been offered to them wat do they hav to show for it if not sleep around with the female students and offering fake scores.

I dare the mass to demand from ASUU audit on wat they hav done so far witz the previose allocations on the possetion.
WHO KNOWS IF THE MONEY Won't GO DOWN DRAIN.
They should show blue print of the old allocations awarded to them and the mass will back them up or Go BACK to class room.

Was told teaching is passion, why being monetize in detriment of poor students.

Who is this disgrace. Don't you know that whatever you post is accessible worldwide. Don't dare hide under typographical error, because the level of ignorance you possess in your write up shows that you are deficient both in knowledge and in ability to compose and write a good letter. Those you seem to be accusing are far away from you.
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by takedat(m): 8:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Dont you know that the govt has intelligence information that some lecturers are already willing to resume work? Wait till events unfold in the coming weeks.

I dont think the idea is to sack all lecturers, rather it is to return the pressure on the leaders of the unions. If all labour unions insist on hundred percent implementation of their demands, this country and indeed the world will grind to a halt. ASUU and other unions which hope to emulate the current strategy of ASUU will also see from this action that govt can also bite.
Forget any silly intelligence report. After the NEC meeting of ASUU, we were told that 60% of the striking lecturers/university chapters are in support of calling off the strike provided government is able to meet their new requests/conditions. So its public knowledge that ASUU is willing to call off the strike.

The FG is trying to employ the usual tactics of divide and conquer, the same tactic successive governments have used in dividing the people of Nigeria for their personal gains. So trying to break the ranks of ASUU or any other labor union is not new.

Why is government afraid to implement ASUU's new resolutions? The sack threat is a display of insensitivity and against the principle of public bargaining. ASUU already submitted the resolutions from their NEC meeting to the FG and they are waiting for a planned meeting with the President, so why is government after waiting for 5 months threatening to sack lecturers when the President is yet to grant them audience as promised? The biggest problem is that of heavy mistrust, ASUU is only being cautious by demanding that the President and top Government functionaries commit themselves to the new agreement in writing. ASUP and other bodies who called off their strikes are already issuing new ultimatums because the government is yet to fulfill the agreements made months after such were reached. I insist that Government is not a victim here and ASUU is not entirely right with her approach, display of brute force from government will not yield any positive result.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by lawrence112(m): 9:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
ubongutioh: ASUU is crazy. If Fashola was the president, he would have sacked them. They are capitalizing on this GEJ's extreme humility and diplomacy.
gbam
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by phemmyjohnson: 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by phemmyjohnson: 10:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
**LAFFING IN TONGUES** What are these ones saying? Come do u tink ASUU Can get all they ask 4 in totality of 100%... FG IS WISE! How abi?? A normal reasonable person will discover at diz stage dat ASUU is standing wit 1 leg on a pillar... Ordinary breeze can pull ASUU down..We all knw ASUU is facing internal problems now which is the wisdom FG will use 2 defeat ASUU..WHAT ARE THESE PROBLEMS THAT WILL BRING ASUU DOWN:-> (1) Universities are already pulling out of the strike <EBSU, AAUA, UNIABUJA> and many to come(2) The Nec Meeting ASUU did resulted in 60-40% votes in favour of strike 2 be called off..Meaning Most ASUU Officials are tired of the lingering strike(3) Unilag ASUU now have 2 factions, one supporting and oda opposing the strike..(4)NANS is not in support of this ASUU strike (5)Pro Chancellors have given the directives for all striking Universities to open immediately... These are the weak points of ASUU and FG is capitalising on them to 'BREAK AND DIVIDE THE UNION' ... FG can't sack all of them because they knw 75% of the lecturers will prefer the educational Sector to rot than to lose their jobs..NA NAIJA WE DAY NW!! SO ARE U TELLING ME DAT IF 1 OF UR FAMILY IS A LECTURER(bread winner) WHO EARNS ABOVE 100K AS SALARY, YOU WILL TELL HIM/HER TO JOKE WIT THE JOB ABI WHEN THE SITUATION OF UNEMPLOYMENT IS WORSE IN NIGERIA.. FG IS JUST TRYING TO BREAK AND DIVIDE ASUU WHICH IS ALREADY HAPPENING..And wen dis happens 'ASUU WILL BE POWERLESS'

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
This same Clement Chup. UniAbuja is resuming right under his nose and he can't do anything about it, yet he Is speaking for other ASUU branches.

Y'all that think this won't work, I don't believe too much in words. I love action. Just chill, get a bottle of coke and popcorn and watch this drama unfold.

These same lazy a.ss lecturers will soon start crying to court for reinstatement. Let's wait and see.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by elrony(m): 10:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
So the government has now used the means of threat to try and scheme it's way outta the pressing issue on tertiary education??

it all boils down to insincerity!!..

Which way Nigeria??
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by majalisa(m): 11:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
lincy: dat is the hight ur brain can offer ur mouth or do u hav better tin say.
obviously u r an indisciplined brat eager to resume school even if it warrants sitting on d floor of a dilapidated lecture hall while spending d best part of ur study year at d social center..I pity ur insight on d subject matter
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 11:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
vedaxcool: This president is acting too stupid for his own good!
Sharraaaaaaaaap
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
majalisa: obviously u r an indisciplined brat eager to resume school even if it warrants sitting on d floor of a dilapidated lecture hall while spending d best part of ur study year at d social center..I pity ur insight on d subject matter
Gerrrrouuuut........... Wetin concern u if we sit down for floor. Shey we dey complain abi our time wey dem waste go repair the infrastructure or develop them?
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=KweenAdz][/quote]
U too sharrrraAaaaappppp jare
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by drmikeadams(m): 11:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
ASUU shuld go and lick micro waved ice cream..
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by akpur1(m): 12:49am On Nov 29, 2013
abdurrazaq:
What terrorism are you blabbing about all around the forum. Can you put sentiment apart for some minutes and reason like a human that you are. The Nigerian FG is not to be trusted and, any reasonable person or group of persons dealing with it should do so with all forms of cautions at his/their disposal. The Federal Government is the one terrorising the masses/students as far as this face-off is concerned. Honour the agreement you entered into, that's all (in Shem Obafaiye's voice)
SHUT UP!!! Dirty pig
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by emmanugo: 1:01am On Nov 29, 2013
lincy: tanx waz at my pik of anger wen makn my points nice one
i love u...dnt ask me y
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by taharqa: 1:11am On Nov 29, 2013
take dat: Forget any silly intelligence report. After the NEC meeting of ASUU, we were told that 60% of the striking lecturers/university chapters are in support of calling off the strike provided government is able to meet their new requests/conditions. So its public knowledge that ASUU is willing to call off the strike.

The FG is trying to employ the usual tactics of divide and conquer, the same tactic successive governments have used in dividing the people of Nigeria for their personal gains. So trying to break the ranks of ASUU or any other labor union is not new.

Why is government afraid to implement ASUU's new resolutions? The sack threat is a display of insensitivity and against the principle of public bargaining. ASUU already submitted the resolutions from their NEC meeting to the FG and they are waiting for a planned meeting with the President, so why is government after waiting for 5 months threatening to sack lecturers when the President is yet to grant them audience as promised? The biggest problem is that of heavy mistrust, ASUU is only being cautious by demanding that the President and top Government functionaries commit themselves to the new agreement in writing. ASUP and other bodies who called off their strikes are already issuing new ultimatums because the government is yet to fulfill the agreements made months after such were reached. I insist that Government is not a victim here and ASUU is not entirely right with her approach, display of brute force from government will not yield any positive result.

[b]I just watched the Min of Education on NTA 4 O'Clock News and hv now got a hold of the NEW DEMANDS/CONDITIONS of ASUU (at least according to Govt):
1. ASUU wants the Govt to find d sum of #200bn and then pay that sum into an Account with d Central Bank WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS, which is supposed to be meant as d Infrastructural Fund Commitment FOR NEXT YEAR 2014 (yea, you heard me right- #200bn in 2 weeks at once for 2014, even when d 2014 budget hasn't been passed);
2. That Govt should RENEGOTIATE the 2009 Agreement with them BEFORE (sic?) they call-off the strike (that's right: Another round of Negotiations after they just had a 13 hours meetings with d President himself, a renegotiation that may possibly bring up other disagreements and so may extend the possibity of ending the strike in weeks or even months);
3. That d Attorney-General should sign the Letter, not d Permanent Secretary (I don't personally see anything wrong with this particular Condition sha).
Then, I also read that ASUU is asking d FG to pay them for d 3-4months they didn't work; but not just that, they insisted that Govt should pay them this money BEFORE they call-off the strike and that it must paid as a LUMP sum to them!! Imagine that.

All these Ridiculous Conditions even after a Majority of yr Lecturers/Congresses already voted and asked you to call-off d Strike!!!!..... And later someone wud tell me that POLITICS has not entered d matter[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by mankand(m): 6:22am On Nov 29, 2013
Breaking news!!!!!!!!!

It's official, nigerians elected an ogogoro drinker into power. He is already drunk.

*falls from the sky*
Re: Breaking: Go Ahead And Sack Us - ASUU by Auxigen(m): 7:57am On Nov 29, 2013
[quote
author=vedaxcool]This president is acting too stupid for his own
good![/quote] and what would you have him do,You think its easy to be a
leader?!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Auchi Polytechnic 2014/2015 Screening Details Is Out. / Can My Bro Study Public Administration With A D7 In Economics / Us & Uk Scholarships For International Students Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.