Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,159 members, 7,825,627 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ (94095 Views)

Where Does God Lives Before The Creation Of The Heaven And The Earth? / In The Beginning God Created The Heaven And The Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:51pm On Oct 02, 2017
The Urgent Lessons
September 30, 2017

"Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty" (Psalm 27:11-12).

These requests are simple: "teach, lead, and deliver" so that we will be able to get away from the "will" of our enemies and the "cruelty" of the plans of those who plot against us.

We need to be taught the way of God so that we can be effectively directed to live as the God of all creation intended for us to live. "O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me" (Psalm 25:4-5). Once we have been twice-born, our active drive should be to "walk in thy truth" (Psalm 86:11). John 17:17 equates truth to the Word of God. That Word is the basis upon which and by which the Holy Spirit will guide us "into all truth" (John 16:13).

The prayer for deliverance must of necessity be a prayer in accordance with the revealed will of God. That means, above all else, in agreement with the written Word of God. God does not circumvent His Word, even for the sake of delivering His children. The Holy Spirit does not invent some new truth just to help one of God's erring children get out of a sin-produced jam. The deliverance will be in a "plain path." God will “lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them" (Isaiah 42:16).

May our prayer contain the prayer of Psalm 143:10: "Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness." HMM III

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2017
The Urgent Patience
October 1, 2017

"I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD" (Psalm 27:13-14).

The closing comments by David in this prayer are a wonderful testimony to his faith as well as a stable axiom for our own. God's promises may well have ultimate fulfillment that "the eye hath not seen, nor ear heard" (1 Corinthians 2:9), but they are not just for the "by and by." Many of God's precious promises are focused on "the land of the living." Peter insists that "his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3).

Even in the midst of the terrible destruction of Israel and the awful captivity looming in Babylon, God told Israel, "I know the thoughts that I think toward you . . . thoughts of peace, and not of evil" (Jeremiah 29:11). Jesus tried to calm His frustrated followers and direct them away from worry about the things of life (Matthew 6:24-25). "Behold the fowls of the air," Jesus said. They don't work or do anything particularly notable, "yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?" (Matthew 6:26). If God takes care of the "grass of the field," will He not care for us—"O ye of little faith?" (Matthew 6:30).

Paul's command to the Philippian church is sufficient to conclude this thought. "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7). HMM III

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2017
Stand Fast
October 2, 2017

"By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth . . . . For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast" (Psalm 33:6, 9).

Many is the modern-day evangelical who has attempted to harmonize the plain sense of the Scriptures with Big Bang cosmogony, concepts of stellar evolution, and a uniformitarian framework for Earth history. This exercise seldom results in a tempering of secular thought but rather in a compromising reinterpretation of Scripture, making it say something it clearly does not say.

The Bible says that "the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear" (Hebrews 11:3), that all things that now exist were simply called into existence at God's spoken command.

Creation was a true miracle. It was not (as some insist) merely a godly oversight of cosmic processes acting on eternal matter, nor was it the gradual appearance and disappearance of matter in a steady-state transformation. Only a poor regard for Scripture, coupled with an overly high regard for current astronomical theory, could interpret Hebrews 11:3 as the explosion of a tiny, super-dense "cosmic egg" (that did not "appear," i.e., too small to see), itself the result of a "quantum fluctuation in a vacuum" in a Big Bang which produced the entire universe.

Rather, as implied in the formula "Let there be . . . and there was" repeated many times in Genesis 1, and as described in our text and elsewhere, all things derive simply from His spoken word. Our response should not be to disbelieve and twist but to believe and praise. "Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him" (Psalm 33:8.). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:37am On Oct 04, 2017
Sin Not
October 3, 2017

"Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath" (Ephesians 4:26).

There are many occasions when a Christian may be rightly angered by some ugly word or incident and thus be strongly tempted to respond in kind. Our text, however, reminds us that such a reaction for a Christian is sin, and it urges us to get control of our anger before sundown. We are not to let our anger fester until it breaks out in action.

A very similar command was given long ago to Old Testament believers also. "Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah" (Psalm 4:4). When angry, it is far better to wait and communicate with God about it in bed than to bring recriminations in the street (or, perhaps, in the home) against the ones who have angered us.

The Lord Jesus Himself is always our example, "Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously" (1 Peter 2:23).

Anger is often one of the most difficult areas to overcome in the Christian life. As James says, "The tongue can no man tame . . . Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God . . . . My brethren, these things ought not so to be" (James 3:8-10). Nevertheless, what man cannot tame, God can!

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God" (James 1:19-20). "Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord" (Romans 12:19). Anger may come, but to act in anger is sin. HMM

For more . . . .

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:41pm On Oct 04, 2017
Angels Round About
October 4, 2017

"The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them" (Psalm 34:7).

Since God's angels are normally unseen, we have little appreciation of how intimately they are involved in our lives. "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?" (Hebrews 1:14). As in our text, there may well be a protecting angel embracing and delivering us in times of danger. "For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone" (Psalm 91:11-12).

Angels are sometimes called on to rout the enemies of God and His people. "Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul . . . and let the angel of the LORD chase them. Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them" (Psalm 35:4-6).

Angels are intensely interested in the salvation and spiritual growth of believers, "which things the angels desire to look into" (1 Peter 1:12). "For we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men" (1 Corinthians 4:9). There are even occasions when "some have entertained angels unawares" (Hebrews 13:2).

There is "an innumerable company of angels" (Hebrews 12:22), beings of great power and wisdom (2 Kings 19:35; 2 Samuel 14:20). They are not omnipotent, omnipresent, or omniscient, of course, since they—like us—were created by God simply to obey God. "Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word" (Psalm 103:20).

Finally, we shall be "carried by the angels" (Luke 16:22) into God's presence. Then we can better understand and thank them for all the many services rendered to us here on Earth. HMM

For more . . . .

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:47pm On Oct 05, 2017
Christ the Creationist
October 5, 2017

"For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be" (Mark 13:19).

In predicting a future judgment on the unbelieving world, the Lord Jesus referred to "the beginning of the creation which God created," thus affirming the biblical doctrine of supernatural, sudden creation. In the pagan world of His day, evolutionism was dominant almost everywhere. The Epicureans, for example, were atheistic evolutionists. The Stoics, Gnostics, Platonists, and others were pantheistic evolutionists. None of the extra-biblical philosophers of His day believed in a God who had created all things, including even the universe itself.

But Christ was a creationist, and the much-maligned "scientific creationists" of today are following His example and teaching. He even believed in recent creation, for He said (speaking of Adam and Eve) that "from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female" (Mark 10:6). The pagans all believed in an eternal cosmos, but Jesus said it had a beginning and that man and woman were a part of that beginning creation, following which "the sabbath was made for man" (Mark 2:27).

He also believed that the "two accounts" of creation (Genesis 1 and 2) were complementary, not contradictory, for He quoted from both in the same context. "Have ye not read," He said, "that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female [Genesis 1], And said For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [Genesis 2]" (Matthew 19:4-6).

There may be some Christians who are evolutionists, but there is no such thing as "Christian evolution," for Christ was a creationist! HMM

For more . . . .

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On Oct 06, 2017
Walk as He Walked
October 6, 2017

"He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked" (1 John 2:6).

The idea of walking as Christ walked can be intimidating to a Christian. After all, the sinless Son of God, Himself fully God, who gave up everything to serve and save rebellious mankind, set an exceedingly high standard. Nothing short of perfection and total sacrifice will do. Nevertheless, [s]while we recognize that we will never fully achieve Christlikeness on this side of glory[/s], we have "received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him" (Colossians 2:6). Let us note several specific commands in the New Testament that describe such a walk.

First and foremost, we are to "walk in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:16, 25; Romans 8:1-4). The empowering of the Holy Spirit makes it possible for us to "walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory" (1 Thessalonians 2:12; Ephesians 4:1). Furthermore, our walk is a walk of faith: "For we walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians 5:7).

We must "walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us" (Ephesians 5:2), and since "now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light" (v. 8; see also 1 John 1:7). We will make good use of our opportunities as we "walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:15-16; Colossians 4:5).

We must "walk in truth" (3 John 4) and in honesty (1 Thessalonians 4:12; Romans 13:13). This walk will be evident to all by our "good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10).

Such a victorious walk might be its own reward; but there is more. Our Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, has said of those who overcome that "they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy" (Revelation 3:4). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2017
Tragic Ignorance
October 8, 2017

"And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes" (Luke 19:41-42).

The Lord had finally acknowledged to the Jewish leaders that He was their promised Messiah, riding into the city on a donkey's colt in fulfillment of prophecy (Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:1-7), but they refused to accept and prepared to crucify Him. Therefore, Jesus wept over the city, for He knew it would soon be destroyed "because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation" (Luke 19:44).

There are many other cases of such tragic ignorance in the Bible. For example, "Samson . . . wist not that the LORD was departed from him" (Judges 16:20), and it cost him his great strength and finally his life.

The ungodly sinners in the days of Noah "knew not until the flood came, and took them all away" (Matthew 24:39). Of the northern kingdom of Israel, it was said: "Strangers have devoured his strength, and he knoweth it not" (Hosea 7:9). These "strangers" were the pagan Canaanites who had turned the people away from the true God.

This is a real danger facing many church and parachurch organizations of the end times, typified by the church at Laodicea. The Lord says to such churches, "I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" (Revelation 3:16-17).

May God deliver each of us from tragic ignorance of our need before Him. We should pray with the psalmist, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23-24). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:29pm On Oct 11, 2017
The New World
October 9, 2017

"For here we have no continuing city, but we seek one to come" (Hebrews 13:14).

The phrase "the new world" as applied to the two American continents is believed to have been coined by the explorer Amerigo Vespucci, who claimed to have been the first to sight the actual mainland. This is believed to be the chief reason why America was named after him rather than Christopher Columbus, who had "discovered" some of the islands of the West Indies just a few years before. (Actually, some of the Norsemen and possibly others discovered this new world several centuries before either one—not to mention the American "Indians," who reached the continent much earlier than any of them.)

Columbus himself has many memorials named after him, of course. Think of the many cities named Columbus or Columbia, as well as the great Columbia River. Even America itself has been called Columbia in a number of songs and poems.

But was not a new world to God! It has been here all along, and we are thankful to be a part of it today.

There is a real new world coming, however! The Old Testament prophet Isaiah received God's promise long ago. "For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth" (Isaiah 65:17). The New Testament prophet John actually described it as seen in a wonderful vision. "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth," he said, and then described some of its beauties (see Revelation 21:1).

But the apostle Peter transmitted the most wonderful news of all about this new world when he wrote that "we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13). And all of us who by faith have been made righteous in Christ shall live there forever! HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:57am On Oct 12, 2017
The True Gospel
October 10, 2017

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel" (Galatians 1:6).

There is only one true gospel (meaning “good news”) in Christianity, but there are many false gospels. Various cults have proposed such concepts as the social gospel, the prosperity gospel, the full gospel, and others, but it is dangerous to attach adjectives or other modifiers to the gospel unless these are specifically attached to it in the Scriptures. There are enough of these, however, to emphasize that the true gospel does have many facets. God's "good news" is always about Christ—His person and work—but His work is from eternity to eternity, and He is both the mighty God and perfect Man. Therefore, with Paul we can say, "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation" (Romans 1:16).

The gospel is the "everlasting gospel," focusing on Him as the one "that made heaven, and earth" (Revelation 14:6-7). It is also the "gospel of the kingdom" (Matthew 4:23), focusing on Him as the coming "King of kings" (Revelation 17:14).

It is the wonderful "gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24) and "the gospel of your salvation" (Ephesians 1:13). Thus, it also is the true "gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15), reconciling man to God.

Because Christ is God, this "gospel of Jesus Christ" (Mark 1:1) is surely the one true "gospel of God" (Romans 1:1). This is the gospel that we have been commissioned by Christ to preach "to every creature" (Mark 16:15), so we need no other. And since it is, indeed, "the glorious gospel of the blessed God" (1 Timothy 1:11), we should never desire another. It meets every spiritual need for time and eternity. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2017
Right Now!
October 11, 2017

"Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy" (1 Peter 2:10).

There are many wonderful things awaiting us in heaven if we have trusted Christ for our salvation. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9).

But there are also many wonderful gifts and privileges we have right now. In the first place, we already have eternal salvation. "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2). That means also that we are free from any condemnation at the judgment. "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1).

We have already been justified—that is, declared righteous with the righteousness of Christ Himself. "Being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him" (Romans 5:9). "But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested . . . Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ" (Romans 3:21-22). As our text says: we right "now have obtained mercy" and right now are "the people of God" (1 Peter 2:10).

The apostle John confirms this glorious truth in a beautiful passage. "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him" (1 John 3:2).

Finally, we have the wonderful assurance that our Lord Jesus right now is praying for us. For Christ is entered into heaven itself, "now to appear in the presence of God for us" (Hebrews 9:24) and there He "ever liveth to make intercession" (Hebrews 7:25) for all those who have placed their faith in Him as their Saviour and Lord. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:28am On Oct 13, 2017
On Eschewing Evil
October 12, 2017

"For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it" (1 Peter 3:10-11).

The venerable English word "eschew" is not used much these days, perhaps because there is not much evil that people eschew any more. Nevertheless, a wonderful formula is couched in this terminology in our text. If anyone desires to "see good days," then he should "eschew evil," even in his speech and instead "do good."

The Greek word translated "eschew" here is ekklineo, meaning "incline away from." That is, instead of having an attitude that "inclines toward" evil, as the world does, the Christian’s inclination must be its polar opposite.

The word is used only two other times in the New Testament. "Mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them" (Romans 16:17). We are not only to eschew evil words and deeds, but also evil men who teach things contrary to God's Word. The other occurrence refers to what ungodly men eschew. "They are all gone out of the way . . . there is none that doeth good" (Romans 3:12). Here ekklineo is translated "gone out of the way." The ungodly eschew doing good; those who would love real life and see good days must do good and eschew evil.

That such an attitude honors and pleases God is especially evident from His thrice-repeated testimony concerning the patriarch Job, a man that "feared God, and eschewed evil" (Job 1:1, 8; 2:3), "a perfect and an upright man." Job saw some bad days, of course, but there were far more good days of great blessing until he finally died "full of days" (Job 42:17). Like Job, let us eschew—shun, avoid, run away from—evil in any form. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25am On Oct 14, 2017
Recognizing the Son of God
October 13, 2017

"For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (2 Peter 1:17).

Most people today consider Jesus Christ to have been a great man but will not believe He is the unique Son of God. Nevertheless, He is indeed God's only begotten Son.

Before His birth, the angel Gabriel predicted it. "That holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God" (Luke 1:35). John the Baptist identified Him: "And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God" (John 1:34). His disciples recognized Him. "Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God" (John 1:49). "Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16:16). John said that the very purpose of his gospel was to demonstrate "that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God" (John 20:31). After Christ's resurrection, even Thomas exclaimed, "My Lord and my God" (John 20:28).

The powers of darkness grudgingly acknowledged who He was: "And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God" (Mark 3:11). Even the centurion who supervised His crucifixion had to confess, "Truly this was the Son of God" (Matthew 27:54). Most important of all was the testimony of God the Father from heaven to Christ's Sonship, both at His baptism (e.g., Mark 1:11) and on the Mount of Transfiguration, as Peter records in our text.

Therefore, it is necessary for our salvation that we also believe this. "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:33pm On Oct 23, 2017
Instant Creation
October 17, 2017

"Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created" (Psalm 148:5).

Certain Christian intellectuals today are promoting the concept of what they call "process creation," a euphemism for theistic evolution. This is a contradiction in terms, however, for creation by definition is supernatural and instantaneous. The Bible makes this plain.

Our text is in one of the beautiful "hallelujah" psalms in which the entire creation is exhorted to praise the Lord. The sun, moon, and all the heavens are included, and then the testimony of our text is given. As soon as God commanded, they were created, not over long ages, but immediately! God said "Let there be . . ." and it was so.

This is especially emphatic in the 33rd Psalm: "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. . . . For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast" (Psalm 33:6, 9). This is also the testimony in the great "faith" chapter, Hebrews 11. The very first object of faith is the following: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear" (Hebrews 11:3). That is, the things that are seen (sun, moon, stars, etc.) were not made out of preexisting materials (things that appear), but by the spoken word of God.

There is not any need at all to compromise either God's omnipotence or His inerrant Word by such devices as theistic evolution, progressive creation, or process creation, for no natural "process" could ever generate the complex and beautifully organized systems of the creation. Compromising evangelical scientists and theologians who are intimidated by the ungodly philosophy of evolution should be corrected, not accommodated. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:59pm On Oct 23, 2017
The Sinner's Prayer
October 18, 2017

"And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner" (Luke 18:13).

Evangelists have often urged lost men and women to pray this "sinner's prayer" if they desired to be saved. The account does say that this publican, after praying thus, "went down to his house justified" (v. 14).

But there is more here than appears on the surface. It is not merely God’s mercy that is needed for He has already been merciful to let us continue to live at all. The word translated "merciful" is used only one other time in the New Testament and is there translated "make reconciliation for." Speaking of the saving work of Christ, it says that He came "to make reconciliation for the sins of the people" (Hebrews 2:17). It is also closely related to the words for "propitiation" and "mercy seat."

This parable of the Pharisee and the publican is set in the context of the Jewish temple worship, where sinners would bring their sacrificial offerings to cover their sins, knowing that "it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul" (Leviticus 17:11). Such sacrifices were completely worthless, however, if offered in a spirit of religious pride and/or self-righteousness, like those of the Pharisee. There must be repentance and faith in God's promise of forgiveness through the death of an innocent substitute, pre-figuring the true Lamb of God whose coming death would truly make eternal reconciliation for the sins of the people. The publican prayed in this vein, and he was saved.

In our day, on the other side of the cross, a sinner’s saving prayer must say, in effect: "God, be propitiated to me on the basis of the death of Christ for my sins." Such a prayer, offered in sincere repentance and faith in God's promise, brings justification before God. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:02am On Oct 24, 2017
The Test of Expedience
October 19, 2017

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any" (1 Corinthians 6:12).

Christians are saved by the grace of God, not by works of righteousness. Therefore, in a sense, they are free to do whatever they please. "All things are lawful unto me." The Christian, however, is under a higher law, the law of love and of seeking to please and honour his Saviour and Lord.

Therefore, when a question arises as to whether a certain act is right or wrong, the decision should be based on how the act impacts the cause of Christ. Does it help or hinder in the winning of the lost or in edifying the believer? Does it honour the Lord and His Word or bring reproach against His truth? For example, Paul concluded he could not afford to "be brought under the power of any" practice (e.g., drinking, smoking, gambling) that might limit the power of God over his actions and decisions.

In a similar passage, Paul says, "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not" (1 Corinthians 10:23). Thus, nothing is expedient for the Christian that does not edify (that is, “build up”) spiritually either himself or someone else.

In a similar vein, he said elsewhere that "there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. . . . Let not then your good be evil spoken of . . . Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another" (Romans 14:14, 16, 19).

This test of expediency, therefore, if applied sincerely by the believer in terms of advancing or hindering the purposes of God in Christ, can be of great help in decision making regarding doubtful issues. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:32pm On Oct 25, 2017
The Scarlet Hope
October 20, 2017

"Behold, when we come into the land, thou shalt bind this line of scarlet thread in the window which thou didst let us down by: and thou shalt bring thy father, and thy mother, and thy brethren, and all thy father's household, home unto thee" (Joshua 2:18).

These words were spoken to Rahab by Joshua’s spies after she had protected them from discovery by the officials of Jericho. She had testified to the spies that "the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath" (Joshua 2:11). Therefore, "by faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace" (Hebrews 11:31).

Rahab's spiritual salvation came because of her faith in the true God; she soon entered into the covenant family of Israel and eventually even became a member of the family line leading to Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:5). Her physical deliverance, on the other hand, and that of her family depended on a "line of scarlet thread" suspended from her window, identifying her home as "under the blood," so to speak, when Jericho fell and all its other inhabitants perished.

This thin, blood-red line constituted a very slender hope for Rahab in the midst of such a scene of judgment and total destruction, but it sufficed. It is fascinating to note that the Hebrew word for "line" (occurring here for the first time in the Bible) is everywhere else translated by the key word "hope." Perhaps "line" soon came to mean "hope" because of this very experience, when a "scarlet hope" extended all the way from a repentant sinner to the very God of heaven! Note the same thought with the same word: "For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD" (Psalm 71:5).

"And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure" (1 John 3:3). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:25pm On Oct 25, 2017
Sudden Creation
October 21, 2017

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6).

Even a superficial reading of the account of creation in Genesis 1 and 2 impresses the reader with the idea of suddenness. God simply called the universe into existence from nothing and then quickly set about the rapid formation of certain features, interspersed with other direct creative acts. All of the events, whether creative or formative, seem to have happened over a brief period of time, such as the formation of the plants (Genesis 1:12), the animals (v. 20), and the sun and stars (v. 16).

Even aspects that were evidently formed by a process such as the continents and oceans (v. 10) and humankind (2:7, 22) seemingly took no great length of time.

This is especially true of the creation of light. "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light" (1:3). No slow and sporadic arrival of light from distant stars is mentioned, nor a gradual heating up of the sun as interstellar gas collapsed and fused. Some evangelical advocates of the old-earth concept hold that God slowly cleared the atmosphere of leftover interstellar dust that allowed the light from the sun and stars to penetrate to the earth.

But, if Scripture alone is our authority, then it happened suddenly and spectacularly. As discussed in our text, it happened just as suddenly and just as supernaturally as a new creature is created out of a dead creature at the moment of salvation. Sanctification may be a lifelong matter, but "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature" (2 Corinthians 5:17), literally creation. No more time is required for the transformation than for darkness to turn into light at the Creator’s command. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:07pm On Oct 26, 2017
The Unfailing Presence
October 22, 2017

"And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of" (Genesis 28:15).

This is the first of many promises of God's unfailing presence with those who trust Him. The words of our text were spoken to Jacob on his flight from the unwarranted wrath of Esau. Those expositors who unjustifiably accuse Jacob of fraud when he secured the birthright promised to him by God before his birth (Genesis 25:23) should note that God never rebuked Jacob but instead promised His perpetual protecting presence.

Note also God's promise to Joshua: "There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee" (Joshua 1:5).

There is also His promise to His chosen people, Israel: "For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people" (1 Samuel 12:22). There are many other such assurances in the Scriptures. One that especially reveals God's heart is Isaiah 41:17: "When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them."

The most precious of all, however, is the assurance to all New Testament believers that "I will never [literally 'never, never, never'] leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). Paul teaches after an exhausting list of possibilities that nothing “shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:39). "Lo, I am with you alway," Jesus said, "even unto the end of the world" (Matthew 28:20). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
Godly Boasting
October 23, 2017

"I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together" (Psalm 34:1-3).

This is an open praise. David is "bragging" about God to anybody who will listen. The boast that his soul is making is broadcast so that everyone will know of his joy. The Hebrew word translated "boast" in this passage is halal, from which hallelujah is developed. Halal is most often used to convey the idea of excitement or delight.

Our boast is designed to magnify and exalt the Lord so that we can halal together. "Magnify" (Hebrew gadal) is an imperative verb that demands us to "make great" or elevate to "great importance" the memory of the Lord. "Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty" (Psalm 104:1). With similar emphasis, "exalt" (Hebrew ruwm) demands that we "raise up" the name of the Lord above everything else. "I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth" (Isaiah 25:1).

Our church environment often connects the idea of praise with musical episodes during our worship or moments of celebration (clapping, vocal response, etc.). Although these may contain elements of magnification or exaltation, they are not the focus of David's request. The boasting that David is speaking of brings about body language that is unmistakable. "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; . . . as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels" (Isaiah 61:10). HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 347-348.

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:40am On Oct 28, 2017
Godly Seeking
October 24, 2017

"I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles" (Psalm 34:4-6).

Seeking the Lord is a familiar theme throughout the prayers and songs of the Psalms, and the phrase "seek the LORD" appears 26 times in the Old Testament. Always, with no exceptions, both the term and the phrase imply an intense focus, a singular purpose to find the Lord. "But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul" (Deuteronomy 4:29).

Please note the other action terms: the one who seeks also "looked" and "cried" while seeking. Both of the additional concepts imply a conscious awareness of the biblical reason for our prayer. "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law" (Psalm 119:18). "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth" (Psalm 145:18).

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee; O let me not wander from thy commandments" (Psalm 119:9-10). "Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon" (Isaiah 55:6-7). If we are to find the Lord, we must seek him with the intensity and singularity of purpose represented in these passages. HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 348-349.

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:15am On Oct 30, 2017
Godly Provision
October 25, 2017

"The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them. O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him" (Psalm 34:7-9).

What marvelous promises! These are promises for today, not for the hereafter. We are protected. We are blessed. We are satisfied. Much of what God does for His precious saints is veiled in the Old Testament—often hinted at in poetic sections like the Psalms or wrapped up in the principles contained in mighty miracles displayed in God's sovereign care for Israel.

But the New Testament is replete with direct promises and insights. The first three chapters of Ephesians reveal the inexhaustible resources that we have at our disposal as the children of the King. Jesus promises that we need not worry about tomorrow or about our needs; the heavenly Father already knows what we need and is anxious to give us "good gifts" (Matthew 7:7-11). Paul told the Philippian church that he knew that he could "do all things through Christ which stregtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13). He also understood that God "shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19).

"The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing" (Psalm 34:10). HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 349.

For more . . . .

1 Like

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2017
Godly Pursuit
October 26, 2017

"Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD. What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil, and do good: seek peace, and pursue it. The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry" (Psalm 34:11-15).

This is a marvellous list of righteous behaviour traits. David is known as a man who had a heart for God. It is passages like these words in song that reveal his love for his Creator.

If we want to enjoy the blessings of our Lord, if we desire His fellowship and His hand on our efforts, if we are to maintain confidence in our relationship with the One in whom is "no darkness at all" (1 John 1:5), then we must "walk in the light, as he is in the light" (1 John 1:7).

This is such a simple concept, yet it is at the root of much of the conflict in the Christian life. So many today appear to desire the approval of the world's philosophy or its adherents, attempting to compromise the clear messages of the Word of God with the views and lifestyles of the wicked.

Note the action terms: "desire" life; "love" your time as a child of the King; "keep" your tongue from evil talk; "depart" from evil behaviour; "do good: seek peace, and pursue it." Simple enough to understand, far more difficult to execute consistently. "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" (Micah 6:8.) HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 350.

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
Godly Resistance
October 27, 2017

"The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth" (Psalm 34:16).

This is another clear, basic, often-repeated message of Scripture. Why is it that many of God's people try to get around this fact? God does not tolerate evil. He does not approve or overlook the deeds of wickedness. Although God demonstrated His incomprehensible and gracious love for us "while we were yet sinners" (Romans 5:8,) He is "not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity" (Psalm 5:4-5).

We are never to think that God's love for the world extends beyond His provision through Jesus Christ on the cross. Those who respond to His love are "created in righteousness and true holiness" (Ephesians 4:24). Jesus said that those who do not accept His atonement and do not believe His Word "shall die in your sins" (John 8:24).

This is why the New Testament makes such a strong case for the change in the life of the believer. We are new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 6:15) and are now a "new man" (Ephesians 4:24; Colossians 3:10). We are set free from sin (Romans 6:6-7) and free from sin's law in our body (Romans 8:2). Indeed, we are set at liberty not only from the control of sin in our lives, but set free to perform the righteous works that God has decreed that we should do (Galatians 5:1, 13; Ephesians 2:10). If we are God's chosen, we will live like God's chosen.

"And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" (Luke 6:46). HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 351.

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2017
Godly Deliverance
October 28, 2017

"The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all. He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken. Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate. The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate" (Psalm 34:17-22).

The ultimate contrast is comparison between the redemption of the righteous and the "slaying" and the "desolation" of the wicked. One day this world and all that is in it will be burned up (2 Peter 3:10). The Lord of the universe will build a "new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13). The One who saved us will dwell with us and be with us, ruling from a new Jerusalem (Revelation 21:2-3) in which no thing or being will enter that "defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie" (Revelation 21:27).

All that is evil and all who are evil will be purged from this new world, and all that hurts and destroys will be removed from the very memory of those who are part of the redeemed (Isaiah 11:9). We who own Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God, as our Saviour and Lord now will rest in the "peace [that] passeth all understanding" (Philippians 4:7).

In that "real world" of eternity prepared by our Lord Jesus, "God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away" (Revelation 21:4). Even so, come, Lord Jesus. HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 352.

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:22am On Nov 03, 2017
Fallow Ground
October 29, 2017

"For thus saith the LORD to the men of Judah and Jerusalem, Break up your fallow ground, and sow not among thorns" (Jeremiah 4:3).

Fallow ground is ground that has been plowed and readied for sowing but then is withheld and allowed to lie useless and unproductive. God, through His prophet, had to rebuke His people not only because they had left their prepared ground unused, but because they were actually sowing their seed on thorn-choked ground. That is, they were turning to idols and forsaking God.

The word "fallow" occurs one other time in the Bible and to the same effect: "Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you" (Hosea 10:12). It is poor stewardship and a bad testimony, at best, for the people of God to ignore His righteousness and fail to cultivate His grace in their lives, choosing instead the philosophies and pleasures of the ungodly world around them.

Now, if the ancient Israelites had much unfruitful fallow ground in their lives, many modern Christians are still more blameworthy, for we have far greater opportunities and privileges than the people of ancient Israel.

Most of all, we have the complete Word of God and the indwelling Holy Spirit, yet our lives are even more cluttered with the thorny ground of worldliness and paganism than theirs. We urgently need to break up our fallow ground, to sow righteousness and reap mercy.

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting" (Galatians 6:7-8.) HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:00pm On Nov 04, 2017
An Acceptable Sacrifice
October 30, 2017

"Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 2:5).

Our text instructs us that we, as a corporate church and as individuals, are designed for the purpose of offering up acceptable sacrifices to God. These are not animal sacrifices as before but "spiritual" sacrifices made "acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." What kinds of spiritual sacrifices are acceptable?

Prayer: An amazing scene is recorded for us in heaven, for an angel is seen at the altar offering up to God incense mingled with "the prayers of the saints" (Revelation 8:4, see also 5:8.) Our prayers are precious to Him.

Giving: The use of our financial resources for the furtherance of His Kingdom becomes "an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God" (Philippians 4:18).

Praise: In some way not fully comprehended by us, we can "offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name" (Hebrews 13:15).

Good work and sharing: "But to do good and to communicate [share] forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased" (Hebrews 13:16). Remember, we are saved entirely by God's grace but also created specifically unto good works (Ephesians 2:8-10).

Ourselves: We have a distinct privilege in that we may "present [our] bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is [our] reasonable service" (Romans 12:1).

God is a magnificent God! He can be trusted with our prayers, our resources, our praise, our works, and our lives. His perfect sacrifice has made it possible for our sacrifices to be meaningful. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:58pm On Nov 05, 2017
Our Living Lord
October 31, 2017

"Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also" (John 14:19).

We who believe on Christ have the promise of everlasting life because He lives, and we see Him by faith. Christ Himself is “our life” (Colossians 3:4), in fact.

He is the very sustainer of our life. He is both the "living water" (John 4:10) that is "springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14) and "the living bread which came down from heaven," such wonderful bread "that a man may eat thereof, and not die" (John 6:50-51).

Not only does Christ give us His living bread and living water, but also He provides Himself as the living way to God. "Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh” (Hebrews 10:19-20).

He is also the solid foundation on which we build our lives, and that very foundation is vibrant with life. "To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house" (1 Peter 2:4-5). Our spiritual lives are built on a living stone, nourished on living bread and living water while entering by a living way into the presence of the living God!

He "hath begotten us again unto a lively hope [same as 'living hope'] by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you" (1 Peter 1:3-4). "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). All this is ours through our loving, living Lord! HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49pm On Nov 05, 2017
Judgment in the New Testament
November 1, 2017

"In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power" (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9).

Many critics have decried what they contend is the Bible's inconsistency. The Old Testament is a harsh indictment of human sin and warning of coming divine judgment, they say, whereas the New Testament stresses God's grace and love.

The fact is, however, that the Old Testament contains numerous testimonies of the love and merciful lovingkindness of God (e.g., Psalm 103). Similarly, the most striking and fearsome warnings and prophecies of judgment to come are found in the New Testament. The above text for the day is an example, with its revelation of the coming eternal separation from God of all who reject Christ and His saving gospel. The Lord Jesus Christ Himself uttered more warnings of future hell than anyone else recorded in either testament. He said, for example, that those "on the left hand" will be commanded to "depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41). Jude spoke of ungodly men "to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever" (Jude 1:13).

And, of course, the very last book of the New Testament, written by John, the disciple who stressed God's love more than any other writer, focuses especially and in detail on the coming period of God's judgment on a rebellious world. The climax of these warnings is Revelation 20:15: "Whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." God's grace and full forgiveness are free to all who receive Christ, but certain judgment will come to all who refuse. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by mindsbeauty(m): 2:38am On Nov 06, 2017
Meet Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin LIVE IN LAGOS
November 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th 2017, POLICE COLLEGE, IKEJA-LAGOS STATE

LIVE MUSIC MINISTRATION: AWARD WINNING GOSPEL ARTIST - FRANK EDWARDS
IT'S THE HOUR YOU HAD LONGED WAITED FOR; THE GATHERING OF THE SAINTS OF GOD.

EXPECT LIVE PROPHESIES, DELIVERANCE, BREAKTHROUGHS, AND MANY MORE!
COME RIDE OM THE WINGS OF GOD'S PROPHETIC SERVANT AND ANOINTED ONE.

PROPHET JEREMIAH OMOTO FUFEYIN:
Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin (born 15 February 1972, Burutu, Delta State, Nigeria) is the founder and head prophet of Christ Mercyland Deliverance Ministry (CMDM), Warri, Delta State, Nigeria. He founded the church on 3 April 2010.

FOR ENQUIRIES: 08067853570, 08067374754, 08036892629

https://web.facebook.com/mercylandlagoscrusade/
https://www.youtube.com/watch

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:43am On Nov 06, 2017
Born of God
November 2, 2017

"If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him" (1 John 2:29).

This is the first of seven occurrences of the phrase "born of God," or "born of him," in the little epistle of 1 John. If anyone wishes to know how to recognize one who has truly been "born again," these seven descriptors are available for that purpose.

The first such test, in our text, is that such a person is one "that doeth righteousness." The second and third are found in 1 John 3:9: "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." That is, he will not practice sin because God's own nature has been implanted in him.

Another evidence is genuine love. "Love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God" (1 John 4:7). Still another is genuine faith in Christ, which in turn produces genuine love. "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him" (1 John 5:1).

Those who are truly born again will not be permanently defeated by the world. "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 John 5:4-5).

Finally, "we know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not" (1 John 5:18).

The term "born again" is being used very loosely these days, and we need to realize that true regeneration is a permanent, life-transforming miracle accomplished by God Himself in a believer's life. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:47pm On Nov 06, 2017
Think on These Things
November 3, 2017

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8.)

It is nearly impossible these days to turn on the TV, go shopping, go out to eat, read a newspaper, go online, etc., without our minds being cluttered and our thinking infiltrated by all sorts of improper thoughts. In our text, Paul gives us guidelines for our thinking. Let us investigate them.

True—or genuine, honest, and sincere. We should concentrate on honesty in all our dealings, for “God is true” (John 3:33) and Christ said, “My record is true” (John 8:14).

Honest—or better, honorable toward all. Strive to "lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty" (1 Timothy 2:2).

Just—or equitable. "Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal" (Colossians 4:1).

Pure—without spot or stain. "Neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure" (1 Timothy 5:22).

Lovely—literally "towards love," i.e., those things that demonstrate love or a response of love. This word only appears here in the New Testament.

Of good report—that which elicits praise.

Virtue—a standard of righteousness. He "hath called us to glory and virtue" (2 Peter 1:3).

Praise—our speech should be to "the praise of them that do well" (1 Peter 2:14).

Surely our lifestyle and thought patterns need adjusting as noted above, particularly when the verb tense in the command "think on these things" implies a lifelong habit—a continuous way of doing things. JDM

For more . . . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Reverend Sister Leads Students Dance Group On Kiss Daniel's Music / Aloysius Nnamdi Ikegwuonu "Bishop" Who Built Attacked Ozubulu Catholic Church / Reverend Sister Visits Village In Niger State Where Women Go Topless. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.