Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,644 members, 7,809,424 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? (3959 Views)

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering / From Mechanical Engineering To Marine Engineering How To: / Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by Chiscomax(m): 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
thanks for opening this thread first of all! my name is dave 100level mechanical engineering futo. I love computers and i am considering changing from mechanical engineering to computer science. do you think it would be a good idea? please state reasons.

If it is not a good idea, do you think it is possible for me to get bEng mechanical engineering and mSc computer science?

Thanks!
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by Nobody: 7:02am On Nov 29, 2013
Stay where you are!
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by jaybee3(m): 7:06am On Nov 29, 2013
Having a degree is not a prerequisite for getting jobs in the computing industry. You can always go for targeted certifications alongside your current degree program.

Lastly, you can work as a computer scientist with an engineering degree but can't work as a mechanical engineer with a computer science degree
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by Chiscomax(m): 8:19am On Nov 29, 2013
nayef: Stay where you are!
what are your reasons?
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by jukeblam(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2013
Chiscomax: I love computers and i am considering changing from mechanical engineering to computer science. do you think it would be a good idea?

I would not advise you do that; IMO, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Chiscomax: If it is not a good idea, do you think it is possible for me to get bEng mechanical engineering and mSc computer science?

The progression doesn't work that way. Never heard of anyone who has done such. After a B.Eng in Mechanical Engr, you can proceed to bag yourself an MSc in Mechanical, Petroleum, Ocean, Maritime engineering or a host of other degrees- but not computer science.

As a mechanical engineer, you have a versatile degree- pretty much, you can qualify to work almost anywhere. I have friends working in Manufacturing, IT/Telecoms, Power Generation, O&G and a host of other industry- some even in banks.

You can take a couple of IT related certification courses during your University time, in line with your computer passion (MCSE, CCNA, MCDBA et al) versus spending 4yrs studying Computer Science.

Hold on to your mechanical degree and be prepared to study hard- REAL HARD! When you graduate, I bet you will 'feel' (and have) the advantage over a degree in Computer Science.

My 2 cents.
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by Chiscomax(m): 6:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
jukeblam:

The progression doesn't work that way. Never heard of anyone who has done such. After a B.Eng in Mechanical Engr, you can proceed to bag yourself an MSc in Mechanical, Petroleum, Ocean, Maritime engineering or a host of other degrees- but not computer science.

As a mechanical engineer, you have a versatile degree- pretty much, you can qualify to work almost anywhere. I have friends working in Manufacturing, IT/Telecoms, Power Generation, O&G and a host of other industry- some even in banks.

You can take a couple of IT related certification courses during your University time, in line with your computer passion (MCSE, CCNA, MCDBA et al) versus spending 4yrs studying Computer Science.

Hold on to your mechanical degree and be prepared to study hard- REAL HARD! When you graduate, I bet you will 'feel' (and have) the advantage over a degree in Computer Science.

My 2 cents.

thank you... i will stick to my engineering. you just transferred some wisdom into me. God bless you
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by Chiscomax(m): 6:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
jukeblam:

My 2 cents.

thank you... i will stick to my engineering. you just transferred some wisdom into me. God bless you
Re: HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? by jukeblam(m): 7:19pm On Nov 29, 2013
You're welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Ipmp Vs Nim / Am In Search Of Great Minds To Join My Team / After Medical School, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.