Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church (1304 Views)

TB Joshua On Leadership Newspaper Interview: I Never Spoke With Anyone / What The Heck Happened To Joagbaje. Has He Returned To The Valley Of Dry Bones ? / Reasons Why I Know Obama Is Not A Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 11:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
1. The day I told the pastor I would no longer be attending, all information about me was deleted from church records within hours. The church never contacted me again.

2. When I bumped into people from the church in local stores they pretended they did not know me.

3. When I e-mailed several people from the church (including one person who had borrowed something from me which he had not returned and who I e-mailed three times) they never replied.

4. I discovered people in the streets on Sunday mornings who don’t like churches, but who want to talk about Jesus. I don’t remember anyone at church who wanted to talk about Jesus.

5. I love the freedom in Christ, of not being told how I must believe and how I must interpret the Bible. After I left, I discovered that most of what the church believed was taken straight from a book written by a “theologian” who they considered something like their guru. That book was their primary resource. The Bible was somewhere down the list, behind numerous other books.

6. Now my time and money are available to help others.

7. Now I have time to get to really know my neighbors and build community with them, and help them build community with each other.

8. I’ve discovered a huge community of people who have left church, many of whom are trying to figure out how to build new communities outside the institutional church, communities that include Jesus.

9. Most of my friends don’t expect me to pretend I’m something or someone I’m not, as I was expected to do with the church people.

10. Now I really grasp the idea that I am part of the church, all the time, with everyone with whom I come in contact. Church is not a place or a time. Church is the body of Christ, alive and active in the world.

11. I no longer resent serving others. Serving those who have real needs and who say thank you works so much better for me than does serving those who do not need what I have to offer and are demanding and critical.

12. I’ve discovered the meaning of “Love your neighbor as you love yourself”.

13. I’ve discovered where Jesus hangs out, and with whom Jesus hangs out. That is where I want to be.

14. I no longer dread Sundays.

http://www.tillhecomes.org/14-reasons-never-returned-institutional-church/

3 Likes

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
You want to be an independent man, not affiliated to any organized 'christian' sect? is that what you are up to?
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 29, 2013
JMAN05: You want to be an independent man, not affiliated to any organized 'christian' sect? is that what you are up to?

'organised sect' - food for thought !

sects breed sectarianism as is evident in the babels all over Nigeria , why would I want to be a part of such ?
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Yooguyz: 10:18am On Nov 29, 2013
@FROSBEL,
very soon, you'll start giving 20 reasons why you no longer believe in God.

Na from clap Urhobo woman they take enter dance.

Guard your mind bro!
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 29, 2013
Yooguyz: @FROSBEL,
very soon, you'll start giving 20 reasons why you no longer believe in God.

Na from clap Urhobo woman they take enter dance.

Guard your mind bro!

I disagree, my belief in God and Christ for that matter is unshakable . wink

Jesus did not come to start sects, he came to set the captives free, yet many sects all over the world are taking back his children as captives.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Yooguyz: 10:25am On Nov 29, 2013
JMAN05: You want to be an independent man, not affiliated to any organized 'christian' sect? is that what you are up to?In that case i want you to be a member of Jehovah's witness it's the one and only true religion in the world
now you are talking your mind.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2013
Yooguyz:
now you are talking your mind.

good Christian, adding to someone else's statement - you know its called fraud !

1 Like

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Yooguyz: 10:41am On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

good Christian, adding to someone else's statement - you know its called fraud !
am not defrauding any one here bro!
Am just unveiling his true intentions.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by nep2ra(m): 11:19am On Nov 29, 2013
Yooguyz:
am not defrauding any one here bro!
Am just unveiling his true intentions.

over sabi undecided
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by PastorOluT(m): 12:16pm On Nov 29, 2013
Same I am facing here, if U had been in Nigeria u would probably had been turned something else spiritually, harmed or even killed. Though I dont share all ur sentiments, bt I tell u most of these sects are more deadly than terrorist 'cos those ones do theirs openly but these are so organized that nothing can be traced back to them n they have people everywhere.

NB Believe me I am a witness, seeing the next day is always a miracle, bt what I have going for me is that they cant hurt me spiritually despite all their trials.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
*smiling* ........you do write well.

I share your feelings. However, i believe you have only taken the first step into Agnosticism (it gives so much peace) , which may later develop into atheism ...

There is something about using once brain and religion that do not seem to mix...
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

'organised sect' - food for thought !

sects breed sectarianism as is evident in the babels all over Nigeria , why would I want to be a part of such ?

Well, it is true that true christianity shouldnt be divided, but belonging to an organised christian religion is inevitable. Some think that being on their own and engaging in an independent research is the best than belonging to a particular Christian institution.

Granted, we must make personal research to confirm the truth to ourselves, and we are judged individually by God not as a group, but belonging to an organised religion is the bible's direction somehow.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

Since he was disfellowshipped by JWs, he doesnt feel fine on seing any member of JWs. He is a gay, and probably, this could have contributed to his being ousted from the religion, because we dont tolerate such.

I dont view him as a serious fellow anymore, but if he tries to add to my writeups again, I think I would report him to the Mod. that is the height of hatred, to add to my words in such a way that it appeared that I wrote such.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2013
*smiling* ........you do write well.

I share your feelings. However, i believe you have only taken the first step into Agnosticism (it gives so much peace) , which may later develop into atheism ...

There is something about using once brain and religion that do not seem to mix .
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by PastorOluT(m): 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
Oduduwaboy: *smiling* ........you do write well.

There is something about using once brain and religion that do not seem to mix...

A true xtian cant slip into that, save there was no foundation from the onset. The worst that could happen to a sincere true xtian is being saved as one passing thru fire n losing his rewards.

Bt sincerely nothing is what it seem to be in the Christendom (at least in Nigeria i Know of), and anyone that does not have personal relationship with God holding on to those men is doomed forever

1 Like

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
Oduduwaboy: *smiling* ........you do write well.

There is something about using once brain and religion that do not seem to mix .

I disagree.

Some go into atheism while others go into a deeper knowledge of GOD.

smiley
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Yooguyz: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
JMAN05:

I dont view him as a serious fellow anymore, but if he tries to add to my writeups again, I think I would report him to the Mod. that is the height of hatred, to add to my words in such a way that it appeared that I wrote such.

I don't hate you JMAN05, i just can't seem to comprehend why you are so narrow minded when it comes to doctrinal issues.

Am sorry for the little add up thing. It was just a little joke-prank i pulled.
It will never happen again!

And pleeeese stop spreading false rumours about me.

1 Like

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by PastorOluT(m): 12:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

I disagree.

smiley

Those that goes into atheism never had the foundation, they never personally encountered Christ

2 Likes

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by mumumugu(m): 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
Good for you. You were a curse to the church. They really wanted you to leave but didnt know how to ask you to get out.

So they were happy afterall
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 29, 2013
mumumugu: Good for you. You were a curse to the church. They really wanted you to leave but didnt know how to ask you to get out.

So they were happy afterall

grin
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 29, 2013
If anyone doubt you are not a gay, then I prove my point. not a rumour.
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel: 1. The day I told the pastor I would no longer be attending, all information about me was deleted from church records within hours. The church never contacted me again.
http://www.tillhecomes.org/14-reasons-never-returned-institutional-church/

Because the pastor knows the writer does not pay Tithes. grin Tithe collectors don't want a non tither in their church angry

1 Like

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

I disagree.

smiley

You have heard it from Oduduwaboy, you are on a downward spiral to atheism and you cannot see it.

1 Like

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2013
MrBible:

Because the pastor knows the writer does not pay Tithes. grin Tithe collectors don't want a non tither in their church angry

I think it has more to do with tithes and control.

Their livelihood depends on a larger congregation - cheesy
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

You have heard it from Oduduwaboy, you are on a downward spiral to atheism and you cannot see it.

I will be the first atheist who believes that Jesus is the Christ and the only way for salvation.

wink

1 Like

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

I will be the first atheist who believes that Jesus is the Christ and the only way for salvation.

wink

You don't even realise that satan has already set you up into believing a fake "Jesus" who is not God. undecided
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

You don't even realise that satan has already set you up into believing a fake "Jesus" who is not God. undecided

Is Jesus the Son of Yahweh and Messiah a fake ' Jesus ' ?

Well , maybe for you, not for me though !

cool
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
frosbel:

Is Jesus the Son of Yahweh and Messiah a fake ' Jesus ' ?

Well , maybe for you, not for me though !

cool

Can you explain to us what you mean by "Jesus the Son of Yahweh"? I'm not holding my breath though. cool
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Can you explain to us what you mean by "Jesus the Son of Yahweh"? I'm not holding my breath though. cool

Exactly what it says on the tin ! wink
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by PastorOluT(m): 3:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Pastor Ola good day, I believe we are all brethren n should treat ourselves as such, the fact that we dont hold the same doctrine should nt deter us. The earlier we start doing that the greater we will do on this forum with our power of unity.

Every true n sincere xtian knows that no one is saved by doctrines saved Christ Act 4:12.

3 Likes

Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by Oduduwaboy(m): 7:22pm On Nov 29, 2013
[quote author=frosbel]

I disagree.

smiley[/quote

I was only trying to know if you are ready to go all the way . In my own opinion & by my personal experience, the more fair-minded and loving you become , the less religious you can remain! The many injustices ,irrationalities, & unfairness of god of the bible sounded the death knell of my christian faith !
Re: 14 Reasons Why I Never Returned To The Institutional Church by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:37pm On Dec 01, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Pastor Ola good day, I believe we are all brethren n should treat ourselves as such, the fact that we dont hold the same doctrine should nt deter us. The earlier we start doing that the greater we will do on this forum with our power of unity.

Every true n sincere xtian knows that no one is saved by doctrines saved Christ Act 4:12.

What is doctrine to you if I may ask? Do you believe in the doctrine of the proper deity of Christ? Do you believe in the doctrine of Christ's divine and eternal Sonship? Do you believe in His messiah-ship? Do you believe in His obedience, suffering, death and resurrection? Do you believe in the doctrine of justification by His righteousness? Pardon by His blood? Atonement by His sacrifice? What would you say to those who believe the doctrine that says there are other means of salvation outside of Jesus Christ? If you are so much desperate for unity in spite of what folks teach and believe then you are free to do so at your own peril.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scandal Will Hit T.B Joshua, Winners Chapel, Deeper Life Etc In 2014---prophet / Open Heavens: “Provoking Signs & Wonders I”, Wednesday 8th January 2014 / Baba Sadela Is Dead :-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.