Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now (1304 Views)

The Truth: D’banj Explains How He Was Kicked Out Of Mo’hits Records By Don Jazzy / [video] Us Rapper Wale Djing In Lagos Club Pravada / Nigerian Rapper Wale Akintimehin Knocks Kanye West Off The Top Of US Album Chart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by cbbigfan: 9:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
In a radio chat with Toolz on Beatfm yesterday, Wale said the reason he's never been to Nigeria until now was because his parents, who are both from Ondo state, were so poor they couldn't afford a bring him home.

"I grew up poor. We lived in DC, in the projects. Getting a ticket to Nigeria on $20, 000 income yearly, to my family that wasn't really... you know...like I was a 15 year old with a decent job, I'm not going to save up to go to Nigeria. That wasn't what I was thinking when I was that age. And then I was in college and the money tight right then. And then I get this record deal when I dropped out of school, you're running around so much you don't even have time to see your own parents"

MORE ON www.chrisbassey..com

Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by Allohrandy(m): 9:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
Glad he finally became successful despite growing up in the projects
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by Chazzyboy: 10:30pm On Nov 29, 2013
No condition is permanent
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by walad4yhu(m): 10:52pm On Nov 29, 2013
Grass to Grace!
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by Emmyk(m): 11:24pm On Nov 29, 2013
Ohun lomo.
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 5:27am On Nov 30, 2013
where are the pictures of him and his parents throughout his years in dc, where are the pictures of his parents when they were in nigeria, which school did he drop out of [elementary or secondary?] , why did his parents stay in dc for 30 something years, etc etc.

clearly he has not told the whole story.

any evidence he is nigerian?

his nl handlers are not pushing his script well.
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 5:27am On Nov 30, 2013
Emmyk: Ohun lomo.

imagine.

would you see a chinese or indian talking in this manner?
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 5:29am On Nov 30, 2013
well, at least maybe he can reduce the rate at which people are rushing overseas to have kids who they imagine will get a "better life" by virtue of holding a foreign passport?
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by homesteady(m): 5:59am On Nov 30, 2013
tpia@:
where are the pictures of him and his parents throughout his years in dc, where are the pictures of his parents when they were in nigeria, which school did he drop out of [elementary or secondary?] , why did his parents stay in dc for 30 something years, etc etc.

clearly he has not told the whole story.

any evidence he is nigerian?

his nl handlers are not pushing his script well.
Tpia are you sick? undecided
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 6:03am On Nov 30, 2013
^ are you? lipsrsealed
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 6:33am On Nov 30, 2013
Yao Ming goes back to school:

This is so fantastic. Former Houston Rockets center Yao Ming is three years removed from his last game as an NBA player, and four and a half years removed from his last All-Star game as a dominant force in the pivot, but that hasn’t stopped him from attempting to turn himself into an anonymous scholar of sorts. As detailed by the New York Times on Thursday, Yao is beginning his third year at Jiao Tong University in Shanghai, China – an institution he chose in 2011 because he “wanted to feel the atmosphere on campus.”

Here’s a snippet of Yao’s day to day life, from the Times:

On class days, Yao Ming, the 7-foot-6 retired N.B.A. center, wakes up at the crack of dawn to beat the Shanghai traffic. Carrying a lunch prepared by his wife, Ye Li, a 6-foot-3 former player in China’s professional league, Mr. Yao drives more than an hour to Jiao Tong University, where he sits through his required courses in the economics and management department. According to one Chinese news report, Mr. Yao would prefer to live in the dorms with his 20-year-old classmates, a move that would save time and energy, “but the beds are too small.”
“When I signed my first professional contract with the Shanghai Sharks at age 17, I promised my parents that, after my basketball career ended, I would pursue my studies at the university level,” Mr. Yao told reporters in Shanghai.

As reported two years ago by People’s Daily Online, Yao will be receiving a heap of private instruction in mathematics, English, journalism (!) and finance courses because he is still swarmed on the campus by adoring fans. He also had to give an initial press conference upon his first year at the university, one that was attended by over 100 media members.

The Times also relayed another interesting quirk to Yao’s life as a student. Most famous former athletes are expected to take on a figurehead role with the government upon retirement, acting as an ambassador for the country in myriad ways in order to take advantage of their celebrity. Because Yao had to leave home at such an early age to train with the members of the Chinese national team, though, he felt pressure to live up to the educational promise he made to his parents.

Which is tough, because as Yao mentioned two years ago, he’s a bit “rusty” when it comes to picking up on what most students have to work through in their late teens. Yao is clearly a very intelligent man, but going back to college in your early-to-mid 30s is no joke.

Especially when you’re being mobbed by fellow classmates on your way from class to class. The packed lunch from the missus helps, though, we presume.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/yao-ming-beginning-third-college-packed-lunch-hand-192656436--nba.html
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by homesteady(m): 7:12am On Nov 30, 2013
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
Can someone tell the guy ( or i can assume he's a nler since he looks like one), he can just go register at a school in nigeria and get some kind of education.

Since he's already there, he can shop around and find a higher institution and study something. When he's done, he should just get his courses transferred to the US and proceed from there.

Since he said he dropped out of college in america due to lack of funds, its cheaper to study in nigeria and if ASUU strikes he can always use the opportunity to go do some jobs in the US and make money while waiting for them to resume.
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by tpia5: 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
If he doesnt like the idea of studying in nigeria, he can also try ghana, south africa or any other african country where nigerians go to.

Also, if he needs assistance with rehab things, he can get working on that also.
Re: US Rapper Wale Explains Why He's Never Been To Nigeria Until Now by Emmyk(m): 10:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
Was all that necessary? Nawa oo. cheesycheesy

(1) (Reply)

Please Listen To My Song And Tell Me What You Think. / Top Nigerian Songs To Download Right Now! / Frank Edward Features Don Moen On New Track

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.