Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,926 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. (1363 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Vote For Vincent Enyeama As BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2014 / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by OMG2013(m): 6:57pm On Dec 02, 2013
The Ivory Coast and Manchester City midfielder,
who had had been nominated in each of the past
four years, beat Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang,
Victor Moses, John Mikel Obi and Jonathan Pitroipa to this year's crown.

The 30-year-old told BBC Sport: "I think I've been
nominated for five years in a row and finally
winning the award is amazing.
"It's a fantastic achievement because I don't think
there has ever been as many quality African
players in top level international football as there
are now: Aubameyang, Pitroipa, Mikel, Moses,
Salomon Kalou, Gervinho... we have fantastic
players.
"I also think African football is improving and that
means a lot to us. And as an African, I'm very
happy."
The shortlist for the award was drawn up by 44
football experts across Africa, who based their
choices on players' skill, technical ability,
teamwork, consistency and fair play.
A record number of fans then voted for their
favourite either online or by text message.
And those fans have considered Toure to be the
standout African player over the past year, in
recognition of the Ivorian's displays of power,
pace, creativity and goals.
Toure said: "Thank you to all the fans around the
world who continue to support me. It shows how
much fans love you and appreciate your job as
well.
"It's something special because it's not the vote of
the manager or the club or the captain of the
national team, it's just the fans.
"When you have a lot of fans behind you, it's
always amazing. And I'm very happy as it is the
fans who have given it to me - so I'm very
appreciative."
While 2013 was not the most successful in terms
of silverware for Toure - he did not manage to win
anything with club or country - he still impressed
hugely with his consistently high level of
performances.
And after the disappointment of failure to defend
the Premier League title with City, Toure came
back stronger at the start of the new season and
has added a new dimension to his game in the
form of free-kicks.
He curled in a sublime effort against Newcastle
United on the first day of the season and repeated
the feat against Hull in his side's next home
match. Toure has scored four times direct from a
set-piece so far in the league this term in a total
of seven goals for his club.
In 2013 to date, Toure has found the net 13 goals
for club and country - a very respectable figure for a midfielder.
Allied to his clinical finishing, Toure's drive and
leadership have helped City to fourth in the league table.
He was also a key figure in Ivory Coast's
successful qualification for next year's World Cup
finals in Brazil.
The Elephants needed to shrug off a disappointing
Africa Cup of Nations Campaign earlier in the year - they lost in the quarter-finals to eventual winners Nigeria - and Toure has been inspirational.
Off the field, Toure has led the fight against racism after suffering abuse during a Champions League match against Russia's CSKA Moscow in October -demonstrating a strength of character to match his sporting ability.
The unsavoury episode might have affected the
form of lesser players, but Toure has been
exceptional ever since.
And in the fifth consecutive year he has been
nominated for the BBC African Footballer of the
Year award, Toure has finally been voted the best
player on the continent.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by makzeze: 7:01pm On Dec 02, 2013
Up Africa! Up Man city! Up yaya toure!
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 7:10pm On Dec 02, 2013
Africa will vote for ANYONE as long as he's not Nigerian, Yaya was a good excuse to not give Mikel. Congrats to him still, he can now clear road for Mikel/Enyeama to win CAF.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by OMG2013(m): 7:16pm On Dec 02, 2013
I think football is gradually moving away from team sport...the same reason yaya toure won will be why CR7 is going to win d Ballon d'or...d same reason MESSI won ahead of Sneideir in 2010.

But we Nigerians should not complain because we had d opportunity to vote, did we?
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 7:29pm On Dec 02, 2013
OMG2013: I think football is gradually moving away from team sport...the same reason yaya toure won will be why CR7 is going to win d Ballon d'or...d same reason MESSI won ahead of Sneideir in 2010.

But we Nigerians should not complain because we had d opportunity to vote, did we?
yes we did, and some Nigerians even voted Toure, I bet no Ivorian voted Mikel. We are our own enemy. Naturally, most Africans loathe anything that has Nigeria attached to it, Toure failed to win before cuz he wasn't up against Nigerians, he was just the best non-Nigerian option this time- and some Nigerians helped.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
Isn't this awesome? I voted for Yaya Toure, and he won!

Whew!

So, my vote counts!

Time to laugh at Mikel .

[size=30pt]BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/size]

Okay, you can now bash me.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by collynzo2(m): 8:03pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: Africa will vote for ANYONE as long as he's not Nigerian, Yaya was a good excuse to not give Mikel. Congrats to him still, he can now clear road for Mikel/Enyeama to win CAF.
We shouldn't allow the confusion that split people's votes in the BBC award to happen again.
We should completely delete Mikel and give Enyeama our full support for the CAF award. We should make more and more noise as he continues to keep clean sheets and help Lille to the top of the table with 1 - 0 victories.
Even I as a Nigerian, will cringe to hear the title '' African footballer of the year'' being mentioned after a player like Mikel's name, it doesn't put African football in a good light.
CAF will be more than happy to give it to a goalkeeper for the first time.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: yes we did, and some Nigerians even voted Toure, I bet no Ivorian voted Mikel. We are our own enemy. Naturally, most Africans loathe anything that has Nigeria attached to it, Toure failed to win before cuz he wasn't up against Nigerians, he was just the best non-Nigerian option this time- and some Nigerians helped.

No!

You're too wrong to be right(LMAO)

NIGERIA'S greatest undoing was when we had 2 players on the shortlist, making the votes divided. Some folks were voting for Mikel and others, for Moses.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by bizibrain(m): 8:21pm On Dec 02, 2013
Nigerian fans vote cant outpast d vote of ivory coast dat as 1 nominess and our darling football rival fans(ethiopia, even ghana, south africa,mali and co)

For example, as a fans I dislike fernando toress as a player d day he scored a HEADER CROSS goal against Nigeria(2013 CONFEDERATIONS CUP), if he happens 2 b an africa, I wil neva vote him even if he is d best.

There ar so many people online dat voted MORE DAN 6 times 4 mikel, but all 2 no avail.

Sentiment apart yaya worth d award, sentiment apart enyeama should win d caf award, if enyeama countinue wit is clean sheet form and didnt win d caf award, den caf is notin but a biggot.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by lexyman(m): 8:28pm On Dec 02, 2013
I know he will win , Enyeama has a better chance than Mikel ... I wish he Win the CAF best player award
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by AbuMikey(m): 8:35pm On Dec 02, 2013

2014 is Enyeama's Year! cool

Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by AbuMikey(m): 8:37pm On Dec 02, 2013
Austeenx:

No!

You're too wrong to be right(LMAO)

NIGERIA'S greatest undoing was when we had 2 players on the shortlist, making the votes divided. Some folks were voting for Mikel and others, for Moses.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by obinoral(m): 9:17pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: Africa will vote for ANYONE as long as he's not Nigerian, Yaya was a good excuse to not give Mikel. Congrats to him still, he can now clear road for Mikel/Enyeama to win CAF.
caf have a way of compensating the loser of the so called BBC award. Congrats to yaya toure.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by OMG2013(m): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2013
Austeenx: Isn't this awesome? I voted for Yaya Toure, and he won!

Whew!

So, my vote counts!

Time to laugh at Mikel .

[size=30pt]BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/size]

Okay, you can now bash me.

We don't av to bash u....u only exercised ur right.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by raytony: 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2013
I'm a Nigerian and I gave my vote to the best in Africa. YAYA TOURE.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by babyboy3(m): 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2013
obinoral: caf have a way of compensating the loser of the so called BBC award. Congrats to yaya toure.

Well the CAF vote is opened to 2 people from each country if am correct and not to the whole Mikel Obi loving fans
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by sweetiePe(f): 10:13pm On Dec 02, 2013
Yaya Toure named Africa's best footballer

The Ivorian midfielder has been announced as the best African footballer in 2013 according to the English media outfit

Unlimited>>> sports updates
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by SWEETEBUN: 10:14pm On Dec 02, 2013
click on https://www.1960bet.ng/Odds/registration/affiliate5897 prediction your the winning team and win.register your free account and get 100% welcome bonus https://www.1960bet.ng/Odds/registration/affiliate5897
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 10:29pm On Dec 02, 2013
collynzo2: We shouldn't allow the confusion that split people's votes in the BBC award to happen again.
We should completely delete Mikel and give Enyeama our full support for the CAF award. We should make more and more noise as he continues to keep clean sheets and help Lille to the top of the table with 1 - 0 victories.
Even I as a Nigerian, will cringe to hear the title '' African footballer of the year'' being mentioned after a player like Mikel's name, it doesn't put African football in a good light.
CAF will be more than happy to give it to a goalkeeper for the first time.
I said before that Enyeama must win the CAF award no questions asked.

They can't even rig it from him if they tried cuz that guy deserves whatever awards he gets this year. He is Africa's best GK, he has broken the record of any African goalie in France or even Europe as it stands whether he beats that of Sirigu's or not (which he will)

I just preferred Mikel to win cuz he hasn't won any international accolades and this is arguably his best year, he may not have another this good, unlike the others.

But as far as CAF is concerned, Enyeama is my man.

@Austeenx, go shove a pile of cow dung down your throat and lay off my posts.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by babyboy3(m): 11:08pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: I said before that Enyeama must win the CAF award no questions asked.

They can't even rig it from him if they tried cuz that guy deserves whatever awards he gets this year. He is Africa's best GK, he has broken the record of any African goalie in France or even Europe as it stands whether he beats that of Sirigu's or not (which he will)

I just preferred Mikel to win cuz he hasn't won any international accolades and this is arguably his best year, he may not have another this good, unlike the others.

Really!!! Yaya Toure will the CAF award as well, its not a fluke
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 11:15pm On Dec 02, 2013
baby-boy:

Really!!! Yaya Toure will the CAF award as well, its not a fluke
Yaya Toure hasn't performed better than Enyeama, any attacking midfielder can easily be recognised, but only an EXCEPTIONAL goalie can get the kinda recognition Enyeama's currently getting. Besides, those who win the BBC award don't win CAF. So take your self-loathing self some other place cuz even Yeye Toure knows he won't win the CAF award.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by striker9(m): 11:32pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: Yaya Toure hasn't performed better than Enyeama, any attacking midfielder can easily be recognised, but only an EXCEPTIONAL goalie can get the kinda recognition Enyeama's currently getting. Besides, those who win the BBC award don't win CAF. So take your self-loathing self some other place cuz even Yeye Toure knows he won't win the CAF award.
I hope Enyeama wins the CAF award,I feel kinda sad for Mikel though,I wanted him to win the bbc award.No one knows tomorrow,maybe his gonna have a better year sometime.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by babyboy3(m): 11:35pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: Yaya Toure hasn't performed better than Enyeama, any attacking midfielder can easily be recognised, but only an EXCEPTIONAL goalie can get the kinda recognition Enyeama's currently getting. Besides, those who win the BBC award don't win CAF. So take your self-loathing self some other place cuz even Yeye Toure knows he won't win the CAF award.

Name the last African goal keeper that won the award?
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 02, 2013
safarigirl: I said before that Enyeama must win the CAF award no questions asked.

I've done that already. What else can I do to lay off your posts?
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 12:27am On Dec 03, 2013
baby-boy:

Name the last African goal keeper that won the award?
I beleive a Cameroonian goalie has won it...name ANY African GK that has had 10 consecutive clean sheets for his club. Enyeama is putting Africa on the map, he's making a case for the African goalies and telling the world that Africa can produce GK's better than Sirigu and as good as Buffon or Casillas. Now, what is Toure doing that the likes of Okocha, Babayaro, Kanu, Roger Milla and Abedi Pele have not done? Is he about to break a goal-scoring record? Has he broken a record for his club? Enyeama might as well be heading for a legendary status at Lille cuz they've never gone 10 games without conceding. Kindly state why Yaya would get a CAF award over Enyeama
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 12:29am On Dec 03, 2013
Austeenx:

I've done that already. What else can I do to lay off your posts?
nice signature
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by Nomski0(f): 12:34am On Dec 03, 2013
OMG2013: I think football is gradually moving away from team sport...the same reason yaya toure won will be why CR7 is going to win d Ballon d'or...d same reason MESSI won ahead of Sneideir in 2010.

I didnt Vote because the Nigerians that were up didnt deserve my vote. Mikel? Hell no! angry
Moses? Too young for it. He needs a few years more.

Had Vincent, the magic hands been up, i'd pull a Melvin vote on him. grin. *all night voting.*
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by OMG2013(m): 7:05am On Dec 03, 2013
Nomski0: I didnt Vote because the Nigerians that were up didnt deserve my vote. Mikel? Hell no! angry
Moses? Too young for it. He needs a few years more.

Had Vincent, the magic hands been up, i'd pull a Melvin vote on him. grin. *all night voting.*

Why did u think neither Mikel and Moses deserves d award?
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by safarigirl(f): 7:35am On Dec 03, 2013
OMG2013:

Why did u think neither Mikel and Moses deserves d award?
co-ask
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by abatically(m): 8:36am On Dec 03, 2013

more like Africa will vote for the better player while,Nigerians will vote for their own even though they know he is inferior to yaya.
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by abatically(m): 8:41am On Dec 03, 2013
safarigirl: yes we did, and some Nigerians even voted Toure, I bet no Ivorian voted Mikel. We are our own enemy. Naturally, most Africans loathe anything that has Nigeria attached to it, Toure failed to win before cuz he wasn't up against Nigerians, he was just the best non-Nigerian option this time- and some Nigerians helped.

the reason some,Nigerians voted toure was because he is by far a better player. A lot of Nigerians voted Mikel just because he is a Nigerian. Rest of Africa voted yaya because he is a better player. Go outside Africa and tell me how many fans want to watch yaya play instead of Mikel. Lets not be sentimental here. Yaya deserves it
Re: Yaya Toure Has Won The 2013 BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award. by omar22(m): 11:56am On Dec 03, 2013
safarigirl: I beleive a Cameroonian goalie has won it...name ANY African GK that has had 10 consecutive clean sheets for his club. Enyeama is putting Africa on the map, he's making a case for the African goalies and telling the world that Africa can produce GK's better than Sirigu and as good as Buffon or Casillas. Now, what is Toure doing that the likes of Okocha, Babayaro, Kanu, Roger Milla and Abedi Pele have not done? Is he about to break a goal-scoring record? Has he broken a record for his club? Enyeama might as well be heading for a legendary status at Lille cuz they've never gone 10 games without conceding. Kindly state why Yaya would get a CAF award over Enyeama

First go and look at Moroccan's Zaki Badou performance at the 1986 world cup and Camerouns Thomas Nkono performance at the 1982 WC then you will see why they got the award

Enyeama was loaned out last season from Lille only to return in August playing out of his skin, yes he has 10 clean sheets but why was he loaned out last season which is also part of this year?

So from Jan to date Enyeama was first playing in Israel for half of the year. Yaya Toure has been a back-bone of the man city team that was runners up to United. Enyeama conceed 6 goals in 3 games at the confederation cup which is poor

So tell me what did Jay Jay Okocha do to deserve the BBC award?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Premier League) / 1st National Youth Sports Festival: Live In Abuja / What's Wrong With This Photo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.