Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back (19707 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by arthgideon: 10:14am On Dec 04, 2013
Moving around the world teaches you many things. It isn’t for everyone. It takes a special type of person to be able to do what we do. Packing up all your things into two carry-on bags and two checked pieces of luggage is struggles in itself, and to generalize imagine being a woman! I could only bring 10 pairs of shoes! Your mother will go through that luggage and make you narrow it down to seven cardigans instead of 17 and she will remind you that those shorts still don’t fit and haven’t fit for 3 years, you should probably just let them go. Along with letting those shorts go you are also letting go of friendships, relationships, comfort.

A wise man told me that the reason we move to new countries is because we are either running from or running to something. I laughed and thought he was crazy. I just wanted a change; there was no rationale to my choice. The more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. I wasn’t just running from something, I was sprinting as far as I could. What I didn’t realize was that this choice has now started the foundation of my future. Just like a tattoo, that first little taste and you want more and more. No turning back.

1. Freedom. A new sense of freedom. Freedom to do and go as I please. Freedom to travel. Freedom to make choices without a safety net. Freedom to be yourself.

2. Watching your life at home pass by. Birthdays come and go. Marriages. Deaths. Life doesn’t stop and wait for you.

3. Math skills strengthen as you are always trying to convert your local currency to your home country. You know it is even better when you convert your new currency to your previous country. Everything is still in pesos for me.

4. Communication. Responding to someone in any language but the language they are speaking.

5. Stories. The stories you will have to tell for the rest of your life are so unbelievable most people will think you are exaggerating. Hospitals. Airports. Dentists. You try getting your point across in any means possible. And do I mean ANY means possible.

6. You realize little holidays and moments you didn’t think mattered are the ones that make you the most homesick.

7. Growth. As much as you hate to admit it with each move you grow. You learn the best ways to pack, meet new friends, get around, and survive.

8. Adrenaline. Those thrill seekers jumping off canyons and out of airplanes have nothing compared to boarding a plane and traveling to an unknown place. Not knowing anyone. Not knowing your surroundings. Not knowing the language. Now that is a real adrenaline rush.

9. Patience. Realizing no one understands you. No one cares. Ordering food, getting in a taxi and normal every day tasks take patience. Nothing is ever easy. A 10-minute task at home will take you 60 minutes. Accept it.

10. Having to say hello for the first time and having to say goodbye for the final time. Not many people get to experience this, but I have perfected it. This could quite possibly be the hardest and most dreaded part of my life.

Start slow, go to a new place. Alone. Go to a city by yourself. Go on a vacation, alone. Throw yourself out there. Your own sink or swim. When you begin to panic and want to go home that is when your fight or flight will kick in. That true inner strength will shine through. You will fight it out and you will thank yourself later. I know I did. TC mark

http://thoughtcatalog.com/rachel-rae/2013/11/10-things-about-living-abroad-no-turning-back

16 Likes

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 04, 2013
This practically reminds me of my first vacation to Kafanchan,kaduna state of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by lymelyte(m): 10:58am On Dec 04, 2013
Remaining too long in ur comfort zone,destroys development n progress in one's life..

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by solid3(m): 12:09pm On Dec 04, 2013
not really applicable to me ATM.
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Shaakasi(f): 12:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
true
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by MrBravo(m): 12:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
Dear God,
When am I going to be the first to comment on NL?

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by dridowu: 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2013
Ok, i just need to mark attendance on ds page.
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Obinnau(m): 12:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
Mr Bravo: Dear God,
when the sun sets in the west and the seas dry up grin
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by superior1: 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
Keresi-mesi........kai!!, i miss home, i miss naija....some blessings we never appreciate

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by zubbainno123: 12:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
...THE MORE YOU TRAVEL, THE MORE INFORMED YOU BECOME!!!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by bigx(m): 12:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
nice one,

I love travelling

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by olorunthobby(f): 12:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
booked
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by fittty(m): 12:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
smiley
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
True talk @Op.

Especially speaking another language other than the one you're been spoken to
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by SirElaw(m): 12:19pm On Dec 04, 2013
Do people do this impulse travelling in Nigeria?

Started some few hours ago and we are already in double digits. Join this fast growing community.
Channel: C00181DA3.
Or simply search for: Analyze Naija News
Let's look at the big picture together. See what you should see not what they want you to see.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by GentleFrank(m): 12:21pm On Dec 04, 2013
What a rich post!
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:24pm On Dec 04, 2013
Reserved!
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by saleeh: 12:24pm On Dec 04, 2013
...travelling is a share out of the shares of punishment ...IN ADDITION
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by GetGuide: 12:28pm On Dec 04, 2013

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by alphaconde(m): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
Travelling is good, even God couldn't bear abraham to stay in once place for too long. But try to stay one place o. These disasters everywhere may catch up with you.
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by xclusive43(m): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
when hen grow teeth...grin grin
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by diarra94(m): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
you can only appreciate the beauty and diversity in the world by travelling and exploring....although i cant deny the fact that i miss naija!!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Capnd143(m): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
I was here!
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 04, 2013
hahaha n da 1st tc travelled to niger republ...sorry,i mean kafanchan! haha...
when u out,da trips r really thrilling..
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 04, 2013
"Birthdays
come and go. Marriages. Deaths. Life doesn’t stop
to wait for you." I like .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by LMAyedun(m): 12:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
Okay, nice.
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by iluvweed(m): 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by iluvweed(m): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2013
tongue
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by shevi4mb(m): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2013
Guess the writer went to france (paris).
Well, france is always interestin i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the french way.
Re: 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back by Olastep1(m): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2013
Am i seeing something else?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ThePhotoblogger's Amazing Documentary Of Ado Awaye, Oyo State / Engaged Man Dies In Accident In Kebbi State / Passengers Angrily Protest Flight Delay At Abuja Airport (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.