Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,249 members, 7,953,929 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:11 AM

Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen (20790 Views)

6 Most Popular Methods For Cracking Passwords And Their Countermeasures / How To Devise Passwords That Drive Hackers Away / Hackers Steal Over 400,000 Yahoo Passwords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 05, 2013
What of Nairaland Login details, did they capture it also?
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by amiskurie(m): 1:40pm On Dec 05, 2013
I no go worry....shebi population of the world is over 5billion and the have just stolen 2million chei.
you can holla me if them reach 5billion and 1,then i shall consider to change mine.thanks anyway! undecided
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by albacete(m): 1:41pm On Dec 05, 2013
Bossforeva: What of Nairaland Login details, did they capture it also?

Eh Eh. NL na small fry grin grin
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Memyselfu2009(m): 1:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
I don't know am.so.important they gurus would want to hack my account to get my password
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by dwana91(m): 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
Make dem come put the keylogger for my pc and phone na so as to hack mine..i no dey change anything.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Tonbrazeal(m): 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
If ah hear,na dere dm go day aware say d distance b/w two points is a line.
Apek wu c ma sugercane?
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Skywalker5(m): 2:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
You should be more worried about Cryptolocker
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by mitey(m): 2:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
No system is hack-proof. But you can reduce the risk to yourself. To keep your information secure follow these tips below in addition to the OPs:

1. Never use a Cyber Cafe to login to your sensitive accounts. However, in case of emergencies,
a. Use the firefox browser and enable private browsing from the options.
b. Don't enter your passwords directly, instead split it into parts and rearrange it. If your password is 'OmoTohBadt01', you can split it into three parts 'Omo', 'Toh' and 'Badt01'. Then first type 'Badt01', then click on the beginning and type 'Toh' then click on the beginning again and type 'Omo'. So what a keylogger will see is 'Badt01TohOmo' and your account will remain safe.

2. Never use another person's device(especially androids) to log into your sensitive accounts. Some unscrupulous people have keyloggers on their phones and devices.

3. Disable autorun on USB drives. Some flash drives have malicious software that auto run and install on your computer and then steal your information in the background.

4. Always update your antivirus to protect you from the latest viruses.

5. Be careful about the websites you visit and the links you click. Hackers often hide malicious code in links and websites offering you free things.

6. Do NOT use the same passwords across multiple websites. So many people use the same password for their Yahoomail, GMail, Facebook, Nairaland, etc. If a hacker wants to hack you, make them work hard for it wink.

7. Use an Anti-Keylogger application on your computer. I use Zemana Antilogger for Windows 7, I don't know if there are any others for other devices and Os.

8. Last but not the least, change your password regularly. But not so regularly that you will forget it.

That is a bit of a mouthful, but in my experience, it is better to be safe than sorry. I hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by albacete(m): 2:16pm On Dec 05, 2013
^^ Copy that!

Sometimes my mouse pointer jumps to the close button of a window. Could it be that my laptop has been infected?
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Roeek: 2:21pm On Dec 05, 2013
OP can I copy ur post for anoda website
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by mitey(m): 2:33pm On Dec 05, 2013
albacete: ^^ Copy that!

Sometimes my mouse pointer jumps to the close button of a window. Could it be that my laptop has been infected?

It might be. Viruses come in various threat levels. You should update your antivirus and do a full system scan.

Also try another mouse and see if the problem continues. For your laptop, you can use a desktop USB mouse to test it and see.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by albacete(m): 2:43pm On Dec 05, 2013
mitey:

It might be. Viruses come in various threat levels. You should update your antivirus and do a full system scan.

Also try another mouse and see if the problem continues. For your laptop, you can use a desktop USB mouse to test it and see.

Cheers.

Many thanks
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by mrofficial(m): 2:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
Who are these first to comment guys? Is there any award for being first to comment?
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Emmysteve(m): 3:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
I think some people are simply ignorant. Once ypur account is hacked, you wont get access or be able to login into it. I have experienced it recently. My twitter password which i am 100% sure is correct keeps telling me wrong password. I tried it several tyms without success, i had to registered another account. Thank you @OP i will change my fb password asap
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Anuoluwap(m): 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
Lol, goodluck to the hackers feel free to hack my account i will lend it to you. Fakebook kor twirra ni
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by jahbiz: 3:25pm On Dec 05, 2013
Ibi liky say dey don hack nairaland self, in other news all ds colour wey adey c 4 home page self look strange. wel done hackerz.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Anuoluwap(m): 3:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
mr.official:
Who are these first to comment guys? Is there any award for being first to comment?
oh! Don't you know about them? Well, they are the little ones we're nurturing on Nairaland.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by klens(m): 4:20pm On Dec 05, 2013
Who needs cheap quad core Tab
to rock this Season, get our Ainol
Ax1 Poseidon Quad core, 3G ,
HDMI, leather keyboard,pouch,Touch pen etc for only N32000 via www.nairaland.com/1507902/hot-selling-ainol-ax1-poseidon
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Joeblazeochola(m): 4:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
Na wa oh, dem no hack nairaland too? Dat mins we tyt
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by sunnyprof: 5:21pm On Dec 05, 2013
How are we sure this notice is not allow their spams get to currently hack your new password too?

this could be an inducement to fall victim if the spam is now being activated to pick all new entries.

Careful oooo
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by sniperwolf(m): 5:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
I need not to change mine because my password can't be broken
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by wonlasewonimi: 5:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
Nothing is stored in those places anymore. Once they start hacking BBMs, whatsapp and even phones then wahala go dey.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Rejoice5000(f): 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
Wetin dey wan use my password do?? is my life in there
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by mfm04622: 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2013
donphilopus: How can a hacker hack a hacker's account?? Impossiblity Noni!!
As man pass man, bank pass bank na so hacker pass hacker.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by donphilopus: 6:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
mfm04622:
As man pass man, bank pass bank na so hacker pass hacker.
Lol. Nan xo
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by blink6(m): 6:31pm On Dec 05, 2013
mitey:

Cheers.
see, updating ur antivirus wont do much... cos crypted stubs will bypass them 100%.
RATs can be detected using rat scan... keyloggers on the other hand, can b deleted by checking on ur task menu and identifying files that are running in background that u didn't start. AVs dnt pose much threat to loggers anymore.

# talking from Wat I know well.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by blink6(m): 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2013
wonlasewonimi: Nothing is stored in those places anymore. Once they start hacking BBMs, whatsapp and even phones then wahala go dey.

if na android u dey use, e dey possible to infect ur phone grin.
and mess er'thing on am up...
goodluck!!!
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by infonubia(m): 8:43pm On Dec 05, 2013
mitey: No system is hack-proof. But you can reduce the risk to yourself. To keep your information secure follow these tips below in addition to the OPs:

1. Never use a Cyber Cafe to login to your sensitive accounts. However, in case of emergencies,
b. Don't enter your passwords directly, instead split it into parts and rearrange it. If your password is 'OmoTohBadt01', you can split it into three parts 'Omo', 'Toh' and 'Badt01'. Then first type 'Badt01', then click on the beginning and type 'Toh' then click on the beginning again and type 'Omo'. So what a keylogger will see is 'Badt01TohOmo' and your account will remain safe.

2. Never use another person's device(especially androids) to log into your sensitive accounts. Some unscrupulous people have keyloggers on their phones and devices.

3. Disable autorun on USB drives. Some flash drives have malicious software that auto run and install on your computer and then steal your information in the background.

5. Be careful about the websites you visit and the links you click. Hackers often hide malicious code in links and websites offering you free things.

6. Do NOT use the same passwords across multiple websites. So many people use the same password for their Yahoomail, GMail, Facebook, Nairaland, etc. If a hacker wants to hack you, make them work hard for it wink.

7. Use an Anti-Keylogger application on your computer. I use Zemana Antilogger for Windows 7, I don't know if there are any others for other devices and Os.

8. Last but not the least, change your password regularly. But not so regularly that you will forget it.

That is a bit of a mouthful, but in my experience, it is better to be safe than sorry. I hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

Thanks for posting. Very handy tips.
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by DAVE5(m): 3:45am On Dec 06, 2013
wait ohh, so if dem dey hack account dem go hack my own sef.. i laff. if them nid my password make dem 4 call me make i tell dem cos notin dey wey i dey hide, i fit even borrow them my 2 atm n check books sef plus pin
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Tyche(m): 11:44am On Dec 06, 2013
mitey: No system is hack-proof. But you can reduce the risk to yourself. To keep your information secure follow these tips below in addition to the OPs:

Cheers!

Merci
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by dhaewood(m): 11:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
WHEN U DOWNLOAD FREE SOFT-WARES MOST OF THEM HAVE THIS PASSWORD STEALING MECHANISM PROGRAMMED INTO THEM,,,,SO EVEN IF U CHANGE U PASSWORD A MILLION TIMES AS LONG AS U HAVE ANY FREE SOFTWARE RUNNING IT IS MOST LIKE GOING TO BE STEALING PASS WORD ALL THE TIME
Re: Change Your Passwords: 2 Million Facebook/Google/Yahoo/Twitter Passwords Stolen by Mologi(m): 12:28pm On Dec 08, 2013
pls forumites,hw do i change my yahoo pasword,i dnt get it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sale Your Scrap Laptops Here / System Requirements Thread: Can My PC Run It? / 24/7 HRS Power Bank For Laptop,Printer, iPAD, BB/PHONES Say No To Power Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.