Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,750 members, 7,813,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU (27262 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU / ASUU Strike: Union Rejects Jonathan’s N200bn Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 05, 2013
awodman:
Have you not heard about the Special Funds Accounts which is solely at the discretion of the presidency?..

Meanwhile if you insist that the money must be appropriated by NASS before it can be made available..then why is ASUU with supposed educated members insisting that govt must open this account and credit it within two weeks..If they know this simple fact doesn't it justify the position of govt that ASUU is been pushed?..

Also if you insist the money must be appropriated..then doesn't this show of proof by govt that the account has been opened and the modalities for disbursement is been worked out not enough for ASUU to call this strike off..or are you suggesting that this strike should be called off in 2014 when the budget must have been passed and signed by the president?

Pls you guys should stop shooting yourself on the foot
That goes to further confirm the DISEASED mindset of APC rats.
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by takedat(m): 9:13am On Dec 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That is absolute thrash. Why didn't ASUU get inputs from its state chapters before going into the meeting with President? Why didn't ASUU harmonize its position before going into the meeting with the president? The essence of the 13-hour meeting with the president was to resolve and agree on ALL issues. That essence is defeated if ASUU will be going back and forth like little kids.

Anyway, discussing this issue with you is like speaking to the deaf. You support this strike simply because it is in the political interest of Tinubu to continue the strike. I'm done with you.
Because you are beholden to politicians and shamelessly sing to them for your daily bread, you automatically believe that others are just like you. You are not interested in the state of our university system, yours is just to praise sing politicians. Isn't that why you abandoned your 'medical profession' to become a paid professional griot?

ASUU did not get inputs from their members before the meeting because they went into the meeting with the President insisting that Government must implement the 2009 agreement as earlier agreed.

It was during the meeting that Government proposed the payment of N1.2trillion revitalization fund and also proposed that the 2009 agreement should be reviewed in 2014. These were new propositions from Government and ASUU leadership had to inform their members, and after their NEC meeting they agreed to the FG's propositions subject to the FG signing an MoU.

#why is Government reluctant to sign the MoU?

15 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by takedat(m): 9:22am On Dec 05, 2013
awodman:
Have you not heard about the Special Funds Accounts which is solely at the discretion of the presidency?..

Meanwhile if you insist that the money must be appropriated by NASS before it can be made available..then why is ASUU with supposed educated members insisting that govt must open this account and credit it within two weeks..If they know this simple fact doesn't it justify the position of govt that ASUU is been pushed?..

Also if you insist the money must be appropriated..then doesn't this show of proof by govt that the account has been opened and the modalities for disbursement is been worked out not enough for ASUU to call this strike off..or are you suggesting that this strike should be called off in 2014 when the budget must have been passed and signed by the president?

Pls you guys should stop shooting yourself on the foot
Government cannot withdraw from any 'Special Funds Accounts which is solely at the discretion of the President'. They will have to withdraw it from the Federation Account because state universities are also beneficiaries.

Don't play ignorance here bro! Haven't you heard of 'Supplementary Budget' before? Let the Government submit a supplementary appropriation bill to the NA and ask that it must be expeditiously passed within a week.

If you can remember, just two or three weeks to the end of 2012, Government submitted a supplementary appropriation bill of N162billion to the NA for payment of fuel subsidy and it was passed into law within a week without the NA debating it. Why is it difficult to do same with the N200billion universities' fund? Is it because the N162billion was for 'friends of Government' ie the cabal, and this N200billion for public universities revitalization is for the poor? It can be done!

4 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by texazzpete(m): 9:23am On Dec 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu dogs are ready to give up their life to see this strike continue because of POLITICS, nothing more. I just admire the patience of this president in tolerating all these nonsense.

You 'admire the patience of the President'?
Can someone PLEASE inform this insincere clown that this is a democracy?! The President's patience has nothing to do with anything here.
Nigerians are the ones to be commended for tolerating many of the anti-people agenda of the FG.

Sincere 9gerian:
After the 13 hours meeting with the president, the president proposed to ASUU that they should have an MOU on all the areas agreed by both parties and that the MOU should be signed by both parties. But ASUU leadership refused this proposal but rather said they preferred a letter of comfort from the govt on what govt has offered so they can take the letter to their state branches.

Part of the agreement reached after the 13 hours meeting with president was that ASUU will call off the strike within one week. But over 3 weeks after, the strike has still not been called off and now the same ASUU that rejected an MOU in front of the president has now made MOU one of the reasons it has not called off the strike.

Why would ASUU call off the strike in the meeting with the President without consulting with the wider body of ASUU? You seem clueless about this system. This is not a gathering of low lifes you can tempt with a brown envelope. The people who met with the President aren't impressed by the glamour of Aso Rock. These are highly educated people we're talking about. You think a meeting with the President was enough to make them call it off there and then?

They want the MOU signed by the Attorney General of the Federation without delay. This is an easy, no-brainer solution. The last time they signed an agreement, the FG went around claiming it was not signed by a permanent secretary. The Senate President claimed the head of the FG negotiation team was not of sound mind.

In short, by casting doubts about the signatories of the 2009 negotiation, the FG brought this stubborn insistence of ASUU for ratification at the highest levels upon themselves. Even a 10 year old can see this. I know you're intelligent enough to see this, so I will conclude (not for the first time) that you have been paid sums of money to propagate this disgraceful opinions on Nairaland.

Sincere 9gerian:

ASUU has failed to call off it strike within one week as they agreed with the president, but ASUU is asking the FG to pay N200 billion which the govt promised to pay this December. Notwithstanding that ASUU failed to keep its side of the agreement, FG has kept its side of paying N200 billion into an account.

It's not about paying 200bn Naira in 2013. ASUU needs the assurance that 200bn will be paid in 2014 too, and 2015, and 2016 as agreed. We need that assurance. Failure of the FG to implement this is highly suspicious.

Sincere 9gerian:
1. GEJ is the first president to sit with ASUU in a negotiation

What the heck is this shyte?! Does this deserve a cookie? Sane minds are wondering why it took him 4 months to personally intervene. He had no reason himself to sit at the meeting. There is an education minister who GEJ should have been supervising to do this work. In any sane climate, the Education minister should have been relieved of his job months ago.
Bottom line is, GEJ found more use out of the Education minister in battling Amaechi than to actually solve the ASUU strike.

Sincere 9gerian:

4. GEJ is the first president who has to release funds before a strike is called off. In the past, once an agreement is reached, labour unions call of their strike.

The funds in question are OWED allowances. Owing ASUU already is a form of Governmental theft. Does the FG require cookies for the rare occasion when they do the right thing?

Sincere 9gerian:
5. GEJ is the only president that had to make 3 different offers to ASUU and yet the strike has not been called off. The FG committee headed by governor Suswan made the first offer, that was followed by the offer by the vice president of Nigeria and then the last offer was made by the president himself.

It is called a 'negotiation'. When you are 'negotiating', you keep putting forward offers until a compromise is reached. Have the bundles of N1000 notes put in your pockets clouded your command of the English language?

For all intents and purposes, ASUU has accepted the last compromise offer by the FG. All they require is proper and bulletproof ratification and a signed and sealed pledge that the brave lecturers who have now obtained significant funding for our Universities will not be victimized for this. They should be lauded as heroes, but that is a separate discussion entirely.

Sincere 9gerian:
So what are the "sins" this president that he has to be treated differently from past presidents?

I know many on Nairaland are young people, but anyone who is 30 and above here will remember that every single President we've had for well over 2 decades has had to content with ASUU strikes. Abacha, babangida, Obasanjo, Yar'Adua...I'm not sure why you're trying to revise history.
Perhaps this is a clear indication that crisp naira notes can cloud the memory?

Sincere 9gerian:
His only "sin" is where he comes from, nothing more. This is very unfortunate for our country.

Can you STOP this nauseating tribal politics here?

PS: Thank God you can never accuse ME of being one of the 'Tinubu dogs' or 'APC sympathizers' as you like to babble on about. I am on record here when I've seriously lambasted the likes of Fashola and Tinubu multiple times. Unlike you, I am a patriot.

28 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by takedat(m): 9:39am On Dec 05, 2013
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

You 'admire the patience of the President'?
Can someone PLEASE inform this insincere clown that this is a democracy?! The President's patience has nothing to do with anything here.
Nigerians are the ones to be commended for tolerating many of the anti-people agenda of the FG.

Why would ASUU call off the strike in the meeting with the President without consulting with the wider body of ASUU? You seem clueless about this system. This is not a gathering of low lifes you can tempt with a brown envelope. The people who met with the President aren't impressed by the glamour of Aso Rock. These are highly educated people we're talking about. You think a meeting with the President was enough to make them call it off there and then?

They want the MOU signed by the Attorney General of the Federation without delay. This is an easy, no-brainer solution. The last time they signed an agreement, the FG went around claiming it was not signed by a permanent secretary. The Senate President claimed the head of the FG negotiation team was not of sound mind.

In short, by casting doubts about the signatories of the 2009 negotiation, the FG brought this stubborn insistence of ASUU for ratification at the highest levels upon themselves. Even a 10 year old can see this. I know you're intelligent enough to see this, so I will conclude (not for the first time) that you have been paid sums of money to propagate this disgraceful opinions on Nairaland.

It's not about paying 200bn Naira in 2013. ASUU needs the assurance that 200bn will be paid in 2014 too, and 2015, and 2016 as agreed. We need that assurance. Failure of the FG to implement this is highly suspicious.

What the heck is this shyte?! Does this deserve a cookie? Sane minds are wondering why it took him 4 months to personally intervene. He had no reason himself to sit at the meeting. There is an education minister who GEJ should have been supervising to do this work. In any sane climate, the Education minister should have been relieved of his job months ago.
Bottom line is, GEJ found more use out of the Education minister in battling Amaechi than to actually solve the ASUU strike.

The funds in question are OWED allowances. Owing ASUU already is a form of Governmental theft. Does the FG require cookies for the rare occasion when they do the right thing?

It is called a 'negotiation'. When you are 'negotiating', you keep putting forward offers until a compromise is reached. Have the bundles of N1000 notes put in your pockets clouded your command of the English language?

For all intents and purposes, ASUU has accepted the last compromise offer by the FG. All they require is proper and bulletproof ratification and a signed and sealed pledge that the brave lecturers who have now obtained significant funding for our Universities will not be victimized for this. They should be lauded as heroes, but that is a separate discussion entirely.

I know many on Nairaland are young people, but anyone who is 30 and above here will remember that every single President we've had for well over 2 decades has had to content with ASUU strikes. Abacha, babangida, Obasanjo, Yar'Adua...I'm not sure why you're trying to revise history.
Perhaps this is a clear indication that crisp naira notes can cloud the memory?

Can you STOP this nauseating tribal politics here?

PS: Thank God you can never accuse ME of being one of the 'Tinubu dogs' or 'APC sympathizers' as you like to babble on about. I am on record here when I've seriously lambasted the likes of Fashola and Tinubu multiple times. Unlike you, I am a patriot.
There is no point having further conversation on this matter with Tinubu slaves who see this strike as part of the instruments of making the country ungovernable for a president they hate so much. Channelstv has already taken a position on the ASUU strike after listening to all parties and giving all of the parties opportunities to air their view. And I think that position is fair to all parties. From all indications everyone, including Channelstv have had enough, except Tinubu slaves. Bye!

7 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by juman(m): 10:33am On Dec 05, 2013
The federal government handles the ASUU issues immaturely.
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by awodman: 10:50am On Dec 05, 2013
take dat: Government cannot withdraw from any 'Special Funds Accounts which is solely at the discretion of the President'. They will have to withdraw it from the Federation Account because state universities are also beneficiaries.

Don't play ignorance here bro! Haven't you heard of 'Supplementary Budget' before? Let the Government submit a supplementary appropriation bill to the NA and ask that it must be expeditiously passed within a week.

If you can remember, just two or three weeks to the end of 2012, Government submitted a supplementary appropriation bill of N162billion to the NA for payment of fuel subsidy and it was passed into law within a week without the NA debating it. Why is it difficult to do same with the N200billion universities' fund? Is it because the N162billion was for 'friends of Government' ie the cabal, and this N200billion for public universities revitalization is for the poor? It can be done!
Withdraw from federation account...can you withdraw from Federation account without governors approval?..where governors part of the negotiations?

Though I agree with your view of a supplementary budget but pls leave fuel issue out of this..Fuel is far greater than any of ASUU demands because right now it is the foundation on which our economy stands including education

1 Like

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by texazzpete(m): 11:02am On Dec 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
There is no point having further conversation on this matter with Tinubu slaves who see this strike as part of the instruments of making the country ungovernable for a president they hate so much. Channelstv has already taken a position on the ASUU strike after listening to all parties and giving all of the parties opportunities to air their view. And I think that position is fair to all parties. From all indications everyone, including Channelstv have had enough, except Tinubu slaves. Bye!

I blasted Tinubu over the Lagos Doctor Strikes, over the Lekki tollgates and over his comments about sacking Lagos doctors. I used even more vitriolic words than I use these days. I've taken Fashola to task over these same issues.

I guess in the world you inhabit, someone MUST always be a sponsor. Someone must always take one side or the other.

All I care about is making Nigeria better for my kids to live in. If that involves calling out traitors like yourself, so be it grin

7 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by omenka(m): 11:25am On Dec 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
There is no point having further conversation on this matter with Tinubu slaves heir view... Bye!
And the dog scurries away with it's tail between its legs.

2 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

I blasted Tinubu over the Lagos Doctor Strikes, over the Lekki tollgates and over his comments about sacking Lagos doctors. I used even more vitriolic words than I use these days. I've taken Fashola to task over these same issues.

I guess in the world you inhabit, someone MUST always be a sponsor. Someone must always take one side or the other.

All I care about is making Nigeria better for my kids to live in. If that involves calling out traitors like yourself, so be it grin
Just to make this final point. I have already proposed a solution to the problems in our universities. And in that solution, there is no role for ASUU, which in my opinion, is part of the problem. Unfortunately, the current fight between ASUU and govt is not part of the solution. The govt is on the wrong path and ASUU is part of the problem.

Under the current structure, injection of N200 billion or whatever billion will not yield the desired result. In fact, some of the N200 billion may actually go into funding and exacerbating the problem.

So for me, I'm not excited about either the position of govt or ASUU. The first step the govt and people of Nigeria must take if we truely want our universities to be great is re-structuring of these schools. Post-restructuring ASUU will automatically be dead as the universities will now have full autonomy. All labour disputes will be resolved locally. Govt can then provide students loans and burseries to support students who are unable to cope with school fees. Govt can still provide research grants to support these universities.

And for this to happen, we must all agree that the current structure is unworkable and that no amount pumped into it will make it work. So I'm afraid, the ongoing ASUU 5-month strike is another WASTED period in the life of our youths and until we get the structures right, we should get ready for another strike as soon as the current one is called off.

2 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by takedat(m): 1:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
^ Is full university autonomy not part of ASUU's demands? All your suggestions are in the 2009 agreement which the Government has failed to implement.

awodman:
Withdraw from federation account...can you withdraw from Federation account without governors approval?..where governors part of the negotiations?

Though I agree with your view of a supplementary budget but pls leave fuel issue out of this..Fuel is far greater than any of ASUU demands because right now it is the foundation on which our economy stands including education
Is it difficult to bring state governors in? State universities are also part of the strike and they will benefit from the largess. The Presidency cannot access a huge sum like N200billion without the consent of the national assembly. Summoning state governors to Abuja and passing a supplementary appropriation bill to the NA can be done in a week except we don't have the money.

Fuel subsidy greater than improving our university education? Well, your opinion! Both are important and demands urgent attention
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by nairaman66(m): 2:49pm On Dec 05, 2013
Read the news on AIT.. From my stand point- I believe the FG is peddling another lie through OKUPE, he has proved on different occasions to be a dangerous liar to the public! Do not take the news seriously..
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Chimzy2(m): 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2013
So state universities won't share from these funds and they took part in the strike...so I just wasted 5months at home!!!
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by texazzpete(m): 2:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Just to make this final point. I have already proposed a solution to the problems in our universities. And in that solution, there is no role for ASUU, which in my opinion, is part of the problem. Unfortunately, the current fight between ASUU and govt is not part of the solution. The govt is on the wrong path and ASUU is part of the problem.

Under the current structure, injection of N200 billion or whatever billion will not yield the desired result. In fact, some of the N200 billion may actually go into funding and exacerbating the problem.

So for me, I'm not excited about either the position of govt or ASUU. The first step the govt and people of Nigeria must take if we truely want our universities to be great is re-structuring of these schools. Post-restructuring ASUU will automatically be dead as the universities will now have full autonomy. All labour disputes will be resolved locally. Govt can then provide students loans and burseries to support students who are unable to cope with school fees. Govt can still provide research grants to support these universities.

And for this to happen, we must all agree that the current structure is unworkable and that no amount pumped into it will make it work. So I'm afraid, the ongoing ASUU 5-month strike is another WASTED period in the life of our youths and until we get the structures right, we should get ready for another strike as soon as the current one is called off.

As long as this PDP FG sticks to their signed agreement (for once!), there will be no more strikes for the near and mid term.
ASUU is the best thing that has ever happened to Nigerian Universities. Without ASUU, Professors would have still been earning N150k per month. This is Nigeria; Nobody gives it to you...you have to take it!

Go and find out how much Govt pays as research grants to the Universities. A pittance. There are way more than 2 million students in our Universities...you whine and complain about Government not being able to raise money yet you are blissfully silent on where the funding for these loans and bursaries are to come from? Our tax money?

You claim the strike period is a 'wasted period'. Whose fault? Is there truly ANYTHING in the current FG offer (which looks likely to be accepted) that could not have been offered 4 months ago? Would the strike have been ended months ago if only the President and FEC cared about this troubling situation?
Yes, you claim the strike period is a 'wasted period'. Well, N200bn yearly can pump N4bn per year in each university for capital projects. 4bn can put in place several standard labs, upgrade libraries...that sum can blanket a University with Wireless internet for student research. You could set up a power plant for internal power generation with some of that money.

Increased allowances to the lecturers helps tremendously in making the terms and conditions of employment more palatable. Universities are locked in a constant battle to retain top talent for lecturing...you know how many first class graduates are sitting down behind counters in Zenith Bank et al as cashiers?

at the end of the day, the true test will be when your President can feel comfortable enough to send some of these repentant millitants to revamped schools in Nigeria for their post Amnesty training. It is still a great shame for the giant of Africa to send ex-militants to obscure places when we can put such schools of training here in Nigeria. Let him set the ball rolling by investing more in our Universities.

I know you've been given a sheet of talking points, but for once, can't you break the script and see the immense danger we're in when we fail to uplift our Universities?

Arguing with you is rather depressing.

6 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by paulworld(m): 2:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
Ï
Don't worry I got your back
Osgilliat: SPace booked....I was here first.
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Bolurx(m): 2:57pm On Dec 05, 2013
Love_Decay:

Shut up... Everything GEJ does, equals "ATTEMPTS" .

He never succeeds, its always the presido is the first to but, the presidio signed but, the Presido decided but

You entire post is a load of crap. He is the first to do this, he is the first to do that.... But what has he achieved, no legacy... No milestones, no victories

I would also like to bring to the public's notice, that : our presidio and his cohorts can't even construct descent sentences. The statements they make are always full of, that, the, that, and, that, more that's, and the

Arrant nonsense. Once again Mr.man shut up.

Thank You Sir!
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by engrfcuksmtin(m): 3:00pm On Dec 05, 2013
touch4mony: is i am GEJ will sack all those ASUU criminal in the 1st month of the strike so by now the new lecturers must have been granded with the university system.there are many youths out the who luv this their job more than they do and can lecture beta than some of those ASUU thiefs
What made them criminals? If you can't answer this question logically, then you are a big foooooooool
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by benkings(m): 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2013
Message from ASUU to students!!! "When
Festus Iyayi(former ASUU chairman), a man
fighting for you died, u all did not use him as
your Display Picture DP. A certain Paul Walker
died and you all took over social media to
announce it and his pix was ur DP. This acts
hav revealed dat u lov movies &
entertainment more dan education. There4,
Una go tey 4 house till further notice! Signed
Secretary.....

4 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Ulokomatt: 3:08pm On Dec 05, 2013
This is al bulshit mehn..... Hw doz dz relate 2 calling off d strike??
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Dee60: 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2013
Evidence without cash can lead to further confusion! Please show the cash and publish so ASUU would no longer have excuses.
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2013
Demdem: Only fools will believe the dog Okupe.
Let's wait and hear Sanusi tells us that not only was an account created, but the said sum is there and disbursement efforts are ongoing.
Till then, strike continues.
Lamido Sanusi may even lie that there is money in the account. Our leaders lie on oath with impunity. You dare not try it in the US.
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by TERNGU123: 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
after chrismass nd new yr,we go resume
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Caseless: 3:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu dogs are ready to give up their life to see this strike continue because of POLITICS, nothing more. I just admire the patience of this president in tolerating all these nonsense.

After the 13 hours meeting with the president, the president proposed to ASUU that they should have an MOU on all the areas agreed by both parties and that the MOU should be signed by both parties. But ASUU leadership refused this proposal but rather said they preferred a letter of comfort from the govt on what govt has offered so they can take the letter to their state branches.

Part of the agreement reached after the 13 hours meeting with president was that ASUU will call off the strike within one week. But over 3 weeks after, the strike has still not been called off and now the same ASUU that rejected an MOU in front of the president has now made MOU one of the reasons it has not called off the strike.

ASUU has failed to call off it strike within one week as they agreed with the president, but ASUU is asking the FG to pay N200 billion which the govt promised to pay this December. Notwithstanding that ASUU failed to keep its side of the agreement, FG has kept its side of paying N200 billion into an account.

See all the first in the ongoing ASUU versus FG face off:

2. GEJ is the first president who on his own set up a committee to go round and assess the infrastructural decay in our universities. This was called the NEEDS assessment.

3. GEJ is the first political leader to sit with labour unions in a 13-hour meeting.

4. GEJ is the first president who has to release funds before a strike is called off. In the past, once an agreement is reached, labour unions call of their strike.

5. GEJ is the only president that had to make 3 different offers to ASUU and yet the strike has not been called off. The FG committee headed by governor Suswan made the first offer, that was followed by the offer by the vice president of Nigeria and then the last offer was made by the president himself.

Despite all of these efforts, the strike is still on.

So what are the "sins" this president that he has javascript:void(0);to be treated differently from past presidents? His only "sin" is where he comes from, nothing more. This is very unfortunate for our country.
sharrap! did u say anything different from what your paymasters are saying? liar!
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by sambas: 3:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
The Trade Union Congress (TUC) is optimistic that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) will call off its strike before the expiration of the Dec. 9 deadline given by the government.
TUC president Bobboi Kaigama told newsmen on Wednesday in Abuja that the congress was optimistic that ASUU and the Federal Government would reach a consensus in the next few days.
The Executive Secretary of National University Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie, announced the new deadline at a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
“We will mediate and call back both parties to the negotiation table. The good thing is that they are both committed to ending the strike,’’ Kaigama said.
He said that when he and NLC president Abduwahed Omar led ASUU leadership to negotiate with President Goodluck Jonathan, an agreement was not signed because ASUU wanted to“report back to its branches’’.
Kaigama added that the leadership of both TUC and NLC had resolved to wade into the matter again with the hope of achieving a truce.
“Myself and my colleague from the NLC will ensure that this issue is quickly resolved. The most important thing is that both parties want a quick end to the strike.
“What is happening right now is as a result of a break in communication,” he said.
He added that the threat by the Federal Government to sack lecturers and the reaction by ASUU were as a result of a break in communication between both parties.
The TUC president also expressed the confidence that no lecturer would be victimised at the end of the industrial action. (NAN)
Send your press release/articles to: newsdesk@dailypost.com.ng
Follow@DailyPostNGRon Twitter and onFacebook
READ:Latest Breaking News
READ:Latest Celebrity News, Gossip
Related Items
Tweet
Pin It
←Previous StoryASUU strike: Union distributes food, money to members
Copyright © DailyPost Nig
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by citizenY(m): 3:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
GEJ is having a hot romance with pathological liars like Doyin.

I just have this sneaky feeling that there is no N200 Billion anywhere. A government that is digging
one hole to cover another cannot conjure that much. Even of they can, from which budget or
appropriation?
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by 1freshdude: 3:30pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

As long as this PDP FG sticks to their signed agreement (for once!), there will be no more strikes for the near and mid term.
ASUU is the best thing that has ever happened to Nigerian Universities. Without ASUU, Professors would have still been earning N150k per month. This is Nigeria; Nobody gives it to you...you have to take it!

Go and find out how much Govt pays as research grants to the Universities. A pittance. There are way more than 2 million students in our Universities...you whine and complain about Government not being able to raise money yet you are blissfully silent on where the funding for these loans and bursaries are to come from? Our tax money?

You claim the strike period is a 'wasted period'. Whose fault? Is there truly ANYTHING in the current FG offer (which looks likely to be accepted) that could not have been offered 4 months ago? Would the strike have been ended months ago if only the President and FEC cared about this troubling situation?
Yes, you claim the strike period is a 'wasted period'. Well, N200bn yearly can pump N4bn per year in each university for capital projects. 4bn can put in place several standard labs, upgrade libraries...that sum can blanket a University with Wireless internet for student research. You could set up a power plant for internal power generation with some of that money.

Increased allowances to the lecturers helps tremendously in making the terms and conditions of employment more palatable. Universities are locked in a constant battle to retain top talent for lecturing...you know how many first class graduates are sitting down behind counters in Zenith Bank et al as cashiers?

at the end of the day, the true test will be when your President can feel comfortable enough to send some of these repentant millitants to revamped schools in Nigeria for their post Amnesty training. It is still a great shame for the giant of Africa to send ex-militants to obscure places when we can put such schools of training here in Nigeria. Let him set the ball rolling by investing more in our Universities.

I know you've been given a sheet of talking points, but for once, can't you break the script and see the immense danger we're in when we fail to uplift our Universities?

Arguing with you is rather depressing.

You are SUPER intelligent sir! i rarely praise people but i could not help but admire your analytical, articulate and lucid argument. I believe like every other nairalander that Insincere Nigerian is a hired hand, he understands the issues at hand but a script has been handed him, and since he is been paid, he must act! Well done sir.

2 Likes

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by Newshunter: 3:30pm On Dec 05, 2013
DECEIT LOADED POLITICAL & ETHNO-RELIGIOUS ASUU STRIKE

ASUU STRIKE IS CONSISTENT WITH OUR BOKO HARAM PHILOSOPHY AND WILL HELP RESTORE OUR BORN-TO-RULE ADVANTAGE – Dr Nassir Faage – ASUU President

Journalist : Good evening Sir. I am a Journalist and would like to know your profession and what you do and teach in the University.

ASUU President: My profession is strike and I do strike and teach strike in the University.

Journalist: Can you tell me why you choose Strike as your profession.

ASUU President: : Are you not aware that I am a born-to-ruin Northern Muslim Hausa-Fulani and western education is forbidden in our religion and culture (Boko Haram). So with Strike as my profession I can contribute to the advancement of my peoples vital interests by ruining western education in Nigeria.

Journalist: What else do you think you can contribute to advance the interests of your people as a Professor of Strike.

ASUU President: Yes, as a Professor of Strike, I am in a better position to help my people bring down the “illegal” Government of President Goodluck Jonathan on or before 2015 and restore Aso Rock Presidency back to the Northern Muslim Hausa-Fulani. In fact, the strike is a big way of telling Nigerians that President Goodluck Jonathan is “weak, corrupt, mediocre, insensitive and not performing”.

Journalist : Sir why do you say that the Government of President Goodluck Jonathan is “illegal”?

ASUU President: Are you not aware that President Goodluck Jonathan is not from the Core North. He is an infidel Southerner. The Presidency of Nigeria must be reserved only for the Northern Muslim Hausa-Fulani .

Journalist : Sir, are you saying that the Northern Muslim Hausa-Fulani believe that they alone are born-to-rule Nigeria forever.

ASUU President: That is very correct and this present strike will not be called off until everybody gets that message and makes the necessary adjustment to ensure that, that message upturns present reality.

Journalist: Goodluck to you Sir

ASUU President: Walahi Talahi ....... ba na so Goodluck ..... nyamiri ne !!!
Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by olabukola: 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2013
Demdem: Only fools will believe the dog Okupe.
Let's wait and hear Sanusi tells us that not only was an account created, but the said sum is there and disbursement efforts are ongoing.
Till then, strike continues.
what does it benefit you and your student brothers and sisters if the strike continues. The fed is not losing, ASUU are not losing rather the future generation of Nigeria.

Some unis has started already and those that refused to start are not doing their students any better.

Whether GEJ loss or win the next election it doesn't change anything in his life and their is no way anybody will read the history of Nigeria without mentioning his name.

We can't because GEJ is wrong and we keep on harming ourselves. At the end it doesn't make his wrong write and whatever harm we did to ourselves can never be reversed.

1 Like

Re: FG Shows Evidence N200bn For ASUU by decrox199(m): 3:34pm On Dec 05, 2013

See all the first in the ongoing ASUU versus FG face off:

2. GEJ is the first president who on his own set up a committee to go round and assess the infrastructural decay in our universities. This was called the NEEDS assessment.

3. GEJ is the first political leader to sit with labour unions in a 13-hour meeting.

Despite all of these efforts, the strike is still on.

So what are the "sins" this president that he has to be treated differently from past presidents? His only "sin" is where he comes from, nothing more. This is very unfortunate for our country.
Mr Abatiatia,I still hold the believe that you will still sound reasonable one day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN / Photo: Students Protest In Port Harcourt / 10 Popular Courses You Can Study If You Want To Avoid Mathematics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.