Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,584 members, 7,958,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:54 AM

This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! (18726 Views)

Pls Nairalanders Help Me Now?? I Dont Understand This Airtel 3gb / Please Kindly Help With This Airtel Operamini Bundles / See This Airtel 1+1 Data Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by olorunthobby(f): 4:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
na una sabi o...i still deey enjoy my own o cheesy
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by NnamdiN: 4:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
Dondave11: Gosh.. Can't believe pple stl use bucks to surf..
na only you make sense for this thread. Abeg which way na grin can I tap from your anointing?
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by yousee(m): 4:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
einsteino: Airtel offers. Unlimited data in kenya and the cost isn't up to 4k per month. Why can't they provide at least 1gb for 1k in 9ja?
Nigerians abuse anything free! Half of their time on the net is used in berating the government...so one govt official visited airtels's office with a sealed directive from the "top"

Now nigerians will pay tru the nose to use data on android phones.

Nairaland go soon dey sanitized.

FYI, this isn't a FACT!

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Mubby4luv(m): 4:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
Like ma post if u tink the Op is just a hater. Go die for bush
Stop boring us with all ur B.S
#team airtel bis for Android
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by sheelay(m): 4:36pm On Dec 05, 2013
ow11: Why are Nigerians so fixated on using cheats, work arounds and ill-fitting things. From oversized jerseys to patching cars, tyres, clothes etc. Even when a complaint can be made to get proper data plans that is cheap and affordable, People would rather whine about a work around that is no longer available.

Complain to NCC like people did and voice costs fell from N50/min to the nearest second to around up to N12/min depending on actual time spent on the call. Ask for a reduction in data cost like the OP is asserting!

I can categorically tell u that I was part of the team that complained to the NCC about affordable data some months ago, they never replied our mail, nor our tweets at them..... So forget those scums..... We will do all we can to also exploit any loophole from the ISPs, since the agency responsible to fight for our right has been corrupted..... That's all

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by chessguru1(m): 4:39pm On Dec 05, 2013
Irony is when you hate everything balckberry, but can't do without BIS undecided
I will take android phones seriously whenever an affordable data package is introduced in nigeria.
What's the use of having an Iphone when you can't afford to flex any app inside
So without BIS, the might android phones become another land line J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ for making calls and sending text
Porting to any other bis network is pointless becos these service providers can change their mind in any minute
Blackberry get plenty wahala...but nothing compares to the peace of mind it brings cheesy

4 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by chessguru1(m): 4:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
sheelay:
I can categorically tell u that I was part of the team that complained to the NCC about affordable data some months ago, they never replied our mail, nor our tweets at them..... So forget those scums..... We will do all we can to also exploit any loophole from the ISPs, since the agency responsible to fight for our right has been corrupted..... That's all
Boss I read a response from Ncc quoted from a national daily here on NL.
They explained to some extent on what drives the cost (some technical ish I can't quite recall now), and also explain what makes the BIS network cheaper.
The same thing that affects the quality rendering on BB phone (data compression) is what makes you guys prefer android phones.
Its like a case of eating your cake and having it.
I don't think the high cost of data is a direct exploitation from network companies..I feel its J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ a combo of so many other factors
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by jerrymania(m): 4:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
this texazzpete is such a loud mouth. There is still word that its still functional. do your underground research before coming here to bust your head for wall. I TOO KNOW.

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Rasheed02(m): 4:46pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete: Guys, we get it. You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel. You're upset that now, you'll have to start paying for your data bundles like the rest of the populace. Yes, data plans are not cheap.

But please, can you people STFU for once and stop this incessant whining?

The problem is not with Airtel. The problem is that the data plans we have from our carriers are rather expensive, especially on the low end. Instead of making this all about Airtel, take on ALL the carriers and take your complaints to the NCC.

FACT: Airtel Data plans are not more expensive than plans from Etisalat or MTN. Saying you'll break your Airtel line over this is just plain childish. If MTN gives you better service, why not port over with no fuss?

FACT: Complaining here on Nairaland will not change anything. If you really feel aggrieved at this situation, why not tweet at NCC Nigeria (@NgComCommission), for example, to complain about high cost of data plans.

I have zero stake in Airtel. In fact, I ported my Airtel line to Etisalat some months ago thanks to poor internet data speeds in my region. I voted with my Naira. Do the same with minimal fuss if you feel aggrieved.
By the grace of God,you shall never become a leader in Nigeria,so because u have got some stinking change in ur monkey pocket,u think d nxt thing u can do nw is to sarcastically make jest of ppl who sees nairaland as a voice for the voiceless nigerians.this dollop-head is one of those killing d confidence of our youths in voicing their dismay at the exploitative nature of our communication companies among other social decays.so,d fact that Airtel general data plans are fairly cheaper than her counterparts is an excuse for blocking a plan that is indisposable to all and sundry? Anyway i'm not surprised,an adage says,WHEN LIFE IS GOOD FOR A MAN,HE BECOMES BAD.by d grace of God,i knw we shall survive dis sudden deprivation,eni tio se bi alaaru loyingbo kole se bi adegboro loja oba.if u dnt have any meaningful thing to write on a topic,u had better take caution with ur seemingly retarded fingers or maybe brains,selfish ppl like u are d one of d problems affecting d nigerian populace.olowo igbo.#mtchewww#

3 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by GetGuide: 4:50pm On Dec 05, 2013
sorry am not a fan

team MTN and Etisalat

I have like 3 MTN line grin grin grin grin grin
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by khattab02: 4:58pm On Dec 05, 2013
Alright Op, now I can tell my bros to stop disturbing me with airtel this, airtel that..
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by khattab02: 5:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
GetGuide: sorry am not a fan

team MTN and Etisalat

I have like 3 MTN line grin grin grin grin grin
Lol.. You no get difference with my cousin brother. The guy even plan to register more sims soon.
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by UjSizzle(f): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete: Guys, we get it. You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel. You're upset that now, you'll have to start paying for your data bundles like the rest of the populace. Yes, data plans are not cheap.

The problem is not with Airtel. The problem is that the data plans we have from our carriers are rather expensive, especially on the low end. Instead of making this all about Airtel, take on ALL the carriers and take your complaints to the NCC.

FACT: Airtel Data plans are not more expensive than plans from Etisalat or MTN. Saying you'll break your Airtel line over this is just plain childish. If MTN gives you better service, why not port over with no fuss?

FACT: Complaining here on Nairaland will not change anything. If you really feel aggrieved at this situation, why not tweet at NCC Nigeria (@NgComCommission), for example, to complain about high cost of data plans.

I have zero stake in Airtel. In fact, I ported my Airtel line to Etisalat some months ago thanks to poor internet data speeds in my region. I voted with my Naira. Do the same with minimal fuss if you feel aggrieved.
Finally a sensible Nigerian smiley
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by sEGXY2(m): 5:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
Ah don't know why people are complaining wen the bis still works the msg was just a threat am still rocking it if u think am lying try the daily bis and thank me later.
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by pawesome(m): 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
dis guy no undastand why we de "sout"..can sum1explain it to him....
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by pawesome(m): 5:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
$#EGXY:
Ah don't know why people are complaining wen the bis still works the msg was just a threat am still rocking it if u think am lying try the daily bis and thank me later.
bros,afta dis ur data expire,shikenan...u cn Neva use it again if u recharge so a beg,no waste ur 1500k o say u de reload n subscribe
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by sylve11: 5:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
@ op i can feel u on dat. cool
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Inik(m): 5:31pm On Dec 05, 2013
Airtel nigeria was aware of the fact that non blackberry users were making use of their bis data plans on their devices, they were benefiting from it in terms of revenue and a growing subscriber base. Unfortunately it seems they have closed the gateway either due to pressure by other gsm service providers or dwindling revenue.

Nothing lasts for ever and i think android users should move on. However airtel's smartphone data plan is way too expensive for the average Nigerian youth who is an internet addict. Android phones burns up data real quick, this is why the users are aggrieved and are finding it difficult coming to terms with the fact that they now have to pay N1000 for 200mb instead of the N1500 for 2gb/4gb on airtel.

Internet service providers in Nigeria are really playing us for fools, the time is ripe enough for Nigerians to have access to cheap internet/large bandwidth.

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by pawesome(m): 5:36pm On Dec 05, 2013
Inik: Airtel nigeria was aware of the fact that non blackberry users were making use of their bis data plans on their devices, they were benefiting from it in terms of revenue and a growing subscriber base. Unfortunately it seems they have closed the gateway either due to pressure by other gsm service providers or dwindling revenue.

Nothing lasts for ever and i think android users should move on. However airtel's smartphone data plan is way too expensive for the average Nigerian youth who is an internet addict. Android phones burns up data real quick, this is why the users are aggrieved and are finding it difficult coming to terms with the fact that they now have to pay N1000 for 200mb instead of the N1500 for 2gb/4gb on airtel.

Internet service providers in Nigeria are really playing us for fools, the time is ripe enough for Nigerians to have access to cheap internet/large bandwidth.
gbam...shikenan...u dn summarize every every

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by babsalux09(m): 5:39pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete: Guys, we get it. You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel.

FACT: Airtel Data plans are not more expensive than plans from Etisalat or MTN.

you're talkin trash bro,cheap androids indeed,sure u know d ones you can afford....and is it only android its affecting,
And another point of correction airtel is no way cheaper than mtn,if we talk about 2500 night plan which gives 3gb plus additional 1.5gb durin d day,mtn blackberry plan was even cheaper,and then when it was workin without vpn it has a cap of 3gb,overall mtn network was faster even with alot of people on it,airtel was just d last to offer this which there only opportunity to gain more customers if they dont know,God knows i wont cant use airtel for my online package,i just use it to surf for fun,we know its gonna end one day,we still dont give a Bleep but just callin to their awareness of restrategizing their plans and we customers from d mass,if they complain of too much people causin network to be slow,i will tell them they dont have customers up to mtn,yet mtn is fast...so if they block,its their loss,coz even if i use a blackberry i will choose mtn,but what will i do with a wack phone like blackberry,so boring device...d message still goes to all network though,but instead of airtel should make more money through this,they are braggin and tryin to copy mtn who people has no choice but to use,afterall we are payin them for it,..well i just hope some gays wont create a thread like this tryin to depend airtel or any network bcoz of his own selfish interest or bcoz it suits his device or whatever,if they like they should block it,i will switch my device to mtn night plan,if they leave it,i will pay them for their service....shikena

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 5:41pm On Dec 05, 2013

You are quite right, though I'm sure most will slag you cos, I admit, you did sound a tad condescending....like the other guy that opened a thread in the phones section to explain how the whole BIS thing was going to end. Thing is, people had got kind of used to the whole airtel thing being available so to suddenly find themselves without an alternative (cheap, at any rate), they had to turn on the party "denying" them their cheap internet: Airtel. Even more so because a huge majority of android/PC users that got airtel lines for browsing with BIS didn't have airtel sims before the whole thing started and only acquired sim cards for the purpose, so when they say they'll throw the sim away or relegate it to "the bench", I believe them.

I don't know how much airtel stands to benefit from this (though the general impression is that they gained from it seeing that people that normally wouldn't smell Airtel from a distance not just bought sims but paid for BIS as well) so it's really their business why they chose to shut it down. I was rather impressed that they thought it wise to notify customers before the shut out (unlike *clears throat* a certain yellow network that would just slam the door in your face....two days after you've subscribed for 6gb grin grin ).

Others are aggrieved because, usually, what Nigerians consider to be "browsing cheats" don't cost them anything. But since theyt were p[aying for the Airtel ish, they felt they had some kind of say in whether it sdtays or goes and such like so it did irk them to receive SMSs from Airtel declaring the "awoof" would be ending.

All in all, i'm just thankful that half the time, i'm at work and I use the wireless internet there. Off-work, I manage 2k for 500MB.

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by spactacus(m): 5:44pm On Dec 05, 2013
common forks etisalat is now working on android what are u waiting for
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Sagytarius(m): 5:46pm On Dec 05, 2013

You could have made ur points without being condescending!
Imagine the statement: "You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel". If u call them cheap phones, how expensive is ur so-called BlackBerry?

Secondly, u don't generalize that all android phones are within the same price bracket. Last I checked, the Samsung Galaxy range of phone and Tabs are expensive. is it the Xperia or the HTCs?

we get ur Backlash message, buh stop this indirect beef on Android users.

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by babsalux09(m): 5:49pm On Dec 05, 2013
pawesome: bros,afta dis ur data expire,shikenan...u cn Neva use it again if u recharge so a beg,no waste ur 1500k o say u de reload n subscribe

gbagbe oshi,did another one today,and its added to my previous one,and its still workin
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by phiszo(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
richP: some fool called using bis on android a cheat, care to explain?
You are the fool. What's the full meaning of bis?

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by loswhite(m): 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

Opinions, how do they work?

My opinion is that this is misguided. It IS my business because this is a discussion forum and I choose to opine and discuss on this issue.

The exploit works now, but for how long? For all you know, it's a slow migration/rollout that will take time, and the December 3rd date may just have been the commencement date. We don't know.
discussing ur opinion and telling ppl to stfu...smh. Arrogance

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by babsalux09(m): 5:59pm On Dec 05, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

You are quite right, though I'm sure most will slag you cos, I admit, you did sound a tad condescending....like the other guy that opened a thread in the phones section to explain how the whole BIS thing was going to end. Thing is, people had got kind of used to the whole airtel thing being available so to suddenly find themselves without an alternative (cheap, at any rate), they had to turn on the party "denying" them their cheap internet: Airtel. Even more so because a huge majority of android/PC users that got airtel lines for browsing with BIS didn't have airtel sims before the whole thing started and only acquired sim cards for the purpose, so when they say they'll throw the sim away or relegate it to "the bench", I believe them.

I don't know how much airtel stands to benefit from this (though the general impression is that they gained from it seeing that people that normally wouldn't smell Airtel from a distance not just bought sims but paid for BIS as well) so it's really their business why they chose to shut it down. I was rather impressed that they thought it wise to notify customers before the shut out (unlike *clears throat* a certain yellow network that would just slam the door in your face....two days after you've subscribed for 6gb grin grin ).

Others are aggrieved because, usually, what Nigerians consider to be "browsing cheats" don't cost them anything. But since theyt were p[aying for the Airtel ish, they felt they had some kind of say in whether it sdtays or goes and such like so it did irk them to receive SMSs from Airtel declaring the "awoof" would be ending.

All in all, i'm just thankful that half the time, i'm at work and I use the wireless internet there. Off-work, I manage 2k for 500MB.

u make sense small jawe,atleast u said some real facts unlike some people bcoz they dont know what it takes to maintain an iphone/android/pc in terms of internet accessibility,and keep talkin like someone who doesnt know anythin about economics,all well and good its their cup of tea,,,but its a surprise u prefer 500mb for 2k than 4.5gb or lets say 1.5gb for 2.5k...everyman has a choice anyway.
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by ndigbo: 6:02pm On Dec 05, 2013
phiszo:
can you define cheat?
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 6:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
Rasheed02:
By the grace of God,you shall never become a leader in Nigeria,so because u have got some stinking change in ur monkey pocket,u think d nxt thing u can do nw is to sarcastically make jest of ppl who sees nairaland as a voice for the voiceless nigerians.this dollop-head is one of those killing d confidence of our youths in voicing their dismay at the exploitative nature of our communication companies among other social decays.so,d fact that Airtel general data plans are fairly cheaper than her counterparts is an excuse for blocking a plan that is indisposable to all and sundry? Anyway i'm not surprised,an adage says,WHEN LIFE IS GOOD FOR A MAN,HE BECOMES BAD.by d grace of God,i knw we shall survive dis sudden deprivation,eni tio se bi alaaru loyingbo kole se bi adegboro loja oba.if u dnt have any meaningful thing to write on a topic,u had better take caution with ur seemingly retarded fingers or maybe brains,selfish ppl like u are d one of d problems affecting d nigerian populace.olowo igbo.#mtchewww#

You need to slow down and re-read my OP carefully. If you cannot read or comprehend written English, have a friend read it out to you. Make sure they dwell on the part where I called for more affordable data plans for smartphones.

Rasheed02:
so,d fact that Airtel general data plans are fairly cheaper than her counterparts is an excuse for blocking a plan that is indisposable to all and sundry?

But that IS the point! Airtel's BIS was NEVER meant for you to use on your non Blackberry phone, it is NOT an official plan for your smartphone. Using it is an exploit (not a 'cheat', big difference)

Airtel allowed this to continue, and gave sufficient notice before blocking that loophole. It is human nature to dismayed and disappointed, but this backlash is not really needed.

This has nothing to do with whether I have 'change in my pocket' or not.

Rasheed02:
u think d nxt thing u can do nw is to sarcastically make jest of ppl who sees nairaland as a voice for the voiceless nigerians.

Nairaland a 'voice for the voiceless Nigerians'? grin
IMHO, it'd be far more effective for you to gather a few of your like-minded cohorts and march with placards to the NCC office. See, that's how things get done.

Rasheed02:
one of those killing d confidence of our youths in voicing their dismay at the exploitative nature of our communication companies

Except a common mantra here is "I'll break my SIM and move to MTN"
So...no, you're not 'voicing your dismay at the exploitative nature of our communication companies'. You're picking on Airtel alone.
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by babsalux09(m): 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2013
phiszo:

still doesnt make it a cheat,just like me subscribin for 8gb plan for pc and use it on a blackberry...Cheat is different from a paid service..forget d nane u use in ordering for d service,.u hack them to use a cheat,but we pay them to use this service.afterall,i was registered on their system and allowed to work,but bcoz of their greed knowin,other device will derive full optimium pleasure for their money than a blackberry which doesnt consume much bcoz its not a spectacular device,rather more a lowend technology..it pays them more,bcoz they find it easy extortin blackberry user than other advance technology devices.

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by LORDVEST(m): 6:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
to thread creator:

IF YOU USE A CHEAP ANDROID DEVICE DOESN'T MEAN I ALSO USE A CHEAP DEVICE... PLEASE WATCH YOUR WORDS... I KNOW THE PRICE OF MY ANDROID DEVICE, AND I WOULD NOT ALSO JOIN UR FOOLISHNESS TO LOOK DOWN ON YOU AND CONCLUDE YOU USE A CHEAP DEVICE... THIS IS A GENERAL OPEN FORUM .. PLS BE WEARY OF WHAT YOU SAY BEFORE YOU ATTRACT UNNECESSARY FEEDBACKS. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY. IT'S NOT BY FORCE TO CREATE A TOPIC... EVEN THO I SUPPORT THE FACT THAT THE NCC IS WHO WE SHOULD PAY COMPLAINTS TO,.... THANKS..

NO OFFENCE MEANT .HOWEVER YOU TAKE THIS IS YOUR BUSINESS.... P34C3

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lost But Found Iphone 6 In Enugu / Reset Your Bb Mep Counter / Galaxy S8 Is Not Going To Feature A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.