Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,937 members, 7,817,747 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

New Iphone 3g - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Iphone 3g (1137 Views)

Official Iphone Unlocking Service (Iphone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s, 5, Ipad) All Network / Iphone 3g 16gb For Sale @ Abuja / Iphone 3g S - Can This Phone Be Unlocked In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Iphone 3g by xcubed(m): 6:12pm On Jul 25, 2008
Please does anybody have an idea of the price of this great machine? Honest replies
Re: New Iphone 3g by ExInferis(m): 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2008
$199 dollars in officially supported countries, around 23,238 naira. cant buy without contract. cant use in unsupported country.

dont bother buying for now if you are in naija.
Re: New Iphone 3g by femzy(m): 11:18am On Jul 26, 2008
Ex Inferis:

$199 dollars in officially supported countries, around 23,238 naira. can't buy without contract. can't use in unsupported country.

don't bother buying for now if you are in naija.

perfect & simple reply
Re: New Iphone 3g by sisqology(m): 1:13pm On Jul 26, 2008
y?
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 5:39pm On Jul 28, 2008
for the 8g, it is $199 for new customers and customers who qualify for an upgrade in supported countries, and who purchase it with a contract (not sure what the 16g is - maybe $299). for those who purchase without a contract, it is $499 for the 8G and $599 for the 16G. please visit apple.com for details (i read the terms like 3 weeks ago so i'm not sure i am giving you accurate info, and the terms may have changed). they should soon start trickling into nigeria in anticipation of the cracks. smiley
Re: New Iphone 3g by ExInferis(m): 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2008
you can't buy iphone 3g without contract, at least not in Apple Store and AT&T. also online purchase is not available. you can only buy and cancel the contract and pay contract cancellation fees after the first month (and after the first month bill of around $75 to $80), early cancellation fee is around $175 plus probable tax. and thats all after paying activation fee of $35. since the $199 for the 8gig 3G is taxable, adding up everything gives close to $575 or more, depending on tax rates. then theres the small matter of chargeable credit checking by the carrier.

since the subsidized iphone is $199 (correct, the 16gig is $299) it stands to reason the cancellation fees are meant to discourage those who buy to unlock. if you cancel outright, you have to return the phone. if you hold on longer for a month, you have to pay monthly bill which adds up to the total cost. and the monthly service charge is also taxable.

also, cancelling after 30 days will prevent you from using AT&T for 6 months. and if you do obtain a non-contract iphone on full retail (almost $600) you cannot use it on any other carrier since apple locked the durn thing. it then makes no commercial sense whatever to pay a huge amount of fees for what essentially you can't sell or use. FOR NOW.

besides, they are out of stuck now, my kin is out there looking for one like crazy.
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 5:09pm On Jul 29, 2008
just like i bought my first iphone last year june at $599 (& long before the unlock succeeded), i don't see why u cannot buy now in anticipation, afterall there are indeed no-contract (pay-as-u-go) iphones. yes i know it's scarce right now but it's available in germany & france from reports but of course they will be more expensive than the US prices as expected (if i had been in the US myself i probably would've gotten 1 by now). but u cannot simply state that buying right now if u live in nigeria is a bad idea. of course as usual it's a matter of time for the unlock & most times the unlock targets the current version (which may be out of stock by the time the unlock is available - leading to an almost paradoxical scenario).
Re: New Iphone 3g by ExInferis(m): 11:22am On Jul 30, 2008
yah, true, you can buy now in anticipation of a rainy day (even though geohot is stumped and devteam are posting only vids and inane codes running in shell while zibri is lounging by a stream grin), but these things have a habit of coming down drastically in price. remember how the iphone 1g was slashed barely two months after it came out and early adopters and stockpilers raged until jobs gave them free $100 store credit.

i bought my first iphone close to $900 in dubai. a few days later the above slash happened.

best to wait. but then, each to his own.
Re: New Iphone 3g by chiegemba(f): 11:27am On Jul 30, 2008
Ex Inferis:

$199 dollars in officially supported countries, around 23,238 naira. can't buy without contract. can't use in unsupported country.

don't bother buying for now if you are in naija.

I think with time d unlocked ones would b sold though
Re: New Iphone 3g by ExInferis(m): 11:44am On Jul 30, 2008
they wiil be unlocked, no question about it. the only thing is guessing when. me, i believe in less than a month, probably nothing more than two weeks. Apple just made a few tweaks to how the system does its security checks at bootstage, but nothing that uses software cannot be hacked. its only a matter of time.

judging by the recent postings in devteam's blog, they are almost there. the iphone 1g now is more expensive even on ebay because it is unlockable to use 2.0, meanwhile the 3G is sold in more countries so the justification for unlocking is not as pertinent as it was with the 1g iphone.

theres something about this "G" that confuses a lot of folks: 2g, 1g, 3g, 8g, 16g etc. the "g" is used differently in different scenarios. fo9r the benefit of those who get sligtly murked up here it is:

1g means iphone first Generation

2g means two things: (1) iphone 1st generation on EDGE which is 2nd Generation cellular (its actually to 2.75G, even though certain bodies such as ITU define it as 3G. general consensus is EDGE is 2G). here the G means the cellular generation, and (2) 2nd Generation Iphone which is the latest 3G iphone. here the G means the iphone generation.

3g means the new 2nd Generation iphone that runs on 3G networks. here 3G refers to the network link type; ie 2nd Gen 3G.

8g and 16g are abbreviations for 8gigs and 16gigs.

otherwise its easy for a newbie to get confused in most forums.
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 4:40pm On Jul 31, 2008
GPRS by itself is 2.5

E-GPRS or EDGE is 2.75

UMTS which is an extension of GPRS is 3G, so if anybody considers GPRS as 3G, they refer to UMTS.
Re: New Iphone 3g by ExInferis(m): 12:20pm On Aug 01, 2008
@logica

do you know whether the iphone3G will run on UMTS networks?
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2008
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 12:58pm On Aug 01, 2008
i would expect so for the phone to be called 3G, & since that's where Europe is at. Even AT&T upgraded their network late last year so most likely it does. I did check and see some links:

http://www.slashphone.com/126/8865.html

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/04/softbank-to-sell-iphone-in-japan/

I also found this piece in Wikipedia on UMTS:

"There are almost no 3G phones or modems available supporting all 3G frequencies (UMTS850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz). Some modems like the Huawei E270 meet this specification [2], however many phones are offering more than one band which still enables extensive roaming. For example, a tri-band chipset operating on 850/1900/2100MHz, such as that found in Apple's iPhone, allows usage in the majority of countries where UMTS is deployed."

"Mac OS X-like iPhone OS Based: with 7% of the market. Apple's first generation iPhone did not support 3G and is restricted to using the EDGE standard. Apple stated this was to maintain a reasonable battery life on the telephone. As power consumption of 3G chipsets improved, Apple released a UMTS (3G) iPhone on July 11, 2008."

it would seem some naija networks are on HSPDA though since they claim 3.5G.
Re: New Iphone 3g by ExInferis(m): 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2008
but no hsupa for iphone. not that uplink matters a great deal as compared to downlink access speed.
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2008
Some good iphone 3g info: h/w unlock available, soft unlock on the way, cheapest stores 2 buy:

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/28/iphone-3g-baseband-gets-hacked-iphone-3g-unlock-on-the-way.html

http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=1

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/04/iphone-3g-sim-unlock-gets-real-hardware-sim-unlock-to-ship-for-iphone-3g.html

Cheapest location 2 buy right now is switzerland: swisscom sells @ $519 (sim locked). Orange (france) sell unlocked for $918. These prices are of course the 8G, for the 16G simply add $100.
Re: New Iphone 3g by durtmond(m): 9:04pm On Aug 12, 2008
DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW MUCH AND WHERE I CAN SELL VW GOLF,RIGHT HAND,YR 2OOO IN 9JA.PLS REPLY
Re: New Iphone 3g by toluxa1(m): 9:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
what is VW GOLF,RIGHT HAND,YR 2OOO. Is it a Phone?
Re: New Iphone 3g by logica(m): 3:22pm On Sep 03, 2008
finally got a feel of one (my uncle's). pleasant surprise is it seemed a little lighter and the plastic back helps in case it drops from a distance. seems it can be opened up much easier than the 2.5G. will be getting a rebel-sim soon. more later,

(1) (Reply)

Mobile Punch goes LIVE!!! / Please Delete this post / Enjoy Blackberry Service On Your Nokia And Other Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.