Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Ways On How To Solve Back Pain - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ways On How To Solve Back Pain (510 Views)

Back Pain / How To Ease Back Pain During Pregnancy / Causes Of Waist Pain In Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ways On How To Solve Back Pain by osademeoyahoo(m): 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
:D1. Move More!
Raise your hand if you've been sitting at your computer for hours leading up to reading this post. I think most of my readers can raise their [img]http://1.bp..com/--MoD1jjUDXs/UqGkmNVThpI/AAAAAAAAAOA/Fa4GChsN_Lo/s1600/back.jpg[/img]hand (I can, too, for today anyway). Our fascia (aka connective tissue) is one of the most sensory dense systems in our body. It houses all kinds of receptors that detect stretch, load, vibration and pressure, and pain. The thing is, if there is no movement in the body, there is no signal communicated to the brain and the soft tissues that is necessary for correct muscle activation. Meaning: no movement, no signal, no change. If no change is indicated, the body learns that the body's current position is where it should stay, and will reset the new "normal" length of the tissues. When you go to move after being sedentary for a long time, the sensors that detect stretch, for instance, say, "Whoa! That's further than we're used to! Put the brakes on and stop it before it's too much!" What this means to you is limited, inefficient movement, and potentially pain.

Taking frequent breaks (yeah, I know you've heard this a million times, but do you do it?) can be really helpful. Moving your body gives it information that it can use to coordinate the appropriate responses, helping you stay in better balance and feeling good. Move however feels good to you, whether it be walking, stretching, yoga, sport of some kind, dancing... it's all good. Just MOVE! Tell your boss I gave you permission to take breaks... I'll take the blame, it's okay.
2. The Problem May Not Be Where You Think It Is
If you think the solution to your low back pain is strictly addressing your back itself, you're not alone. Most people think this. The truth is, though, we have to think (and treat) with a much broader lens. In my experience, often the problem is not in the back itself, which is why getting your back rubbed for an hour will feel good, but only gives you very short term relief. Quite often there are other things that are causing the problem, and it's often from the front of your body! That's right: the FRONT!

The hip flexors (among some other ones that I like to address, but will attempt to keep this short and simple) are often a key player in chronic low back pain. There are two main hip flexors: the iliacus and the psoas. Often these are combined together as the "iliopsoas." They are all one in the same, fascially speaking (they are part of the same fascial continuity). The psoas (pronounced "so-as"wink runs from the upper part of your thigh bone to your lumbar spine (which are your lower-most 5 vertebrae).

Particularly for people who sit for long durations, these can be stuck "short." Remember that no movement = no info = stay the same piece I just mentioned? Well, those hip flexors find a new "normal" resting length in a shortened position. One of two things then happens: the pelvis tilts forward (like your sticking your butt out and arching your back), or the lumbar (low) spine gets pulled down and forward, creating a lot of potentially painful compression in your low back. Owww! So when you try to stand up tall and straight, it makes this really hard because those stretch receptors fire and say, "STOP!"

Don't worry: not all hope is lost! After you've taken your break to get up and MOVE, take a minute or two to stretch out these hip flexors. There are different variations,, but please pay attention to your body and back off or seek out some professional stretching coaching if you have sharp pain (some discomfort is okay, so long as you can breathe and relax into it). Here is one stretch idea: kneel on the floor (you may place a towel under your knees if you need some cushioning). Take a big step forward with one foot, making sure that your ankle is forward of your knee. Allow the hips to shift forward toward and let the opposite hip just sink toward the floor (so it's heading both forward and down). You may feel this into the thigh of the leg that is on the ground. That is fine (remember that the hip flexors connect into the upper thigh). This might be more than enough for you, but if you want more sensation and a deeper stretch, look up toward the ceiling and add a little back bend, reaching the arms up to the ceiling as you do so.

3. Get an Intervention
Stretching is great, but it usually isn't enough to create the lasting change and relief you're seeking. An intervention is needed (aka my hands!). The bodywork (manual therapy) I do can help! As I mentioned, other things in your body might also be contributing to your back pain. I look at what's happening in your feet, legs, pelvis and spine so we can address the bigger picture for long-term relief. Remember that your body isn't just a bunch of parts put together, but rather a whole connected system that is not separate until something is cut to make it so. Let's look at all of you so you get the most benefit.
Fore more health life style check this blog:
http://artserv..com/

(1) (Reply)

Why/how Does Exercise Lower Blood Pressure? / Women? / How Often Do You Brush Your Teeth At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.