Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans (27033 Views)

See Ntel Data Plans: Bundle Sizes, Prices And Supported Devices / Cheapest Data Plans For Android, IOS And PC Users In April 2016 / Etisalat BIS Is Now 1500 And 1000 Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by khattab02: 11:03am On Dec 08, 2013
DankemzI: “blood would flow on the streets of Nigeria should President Jonathan insist on running for the Presidency in 2015.”
totally out of thread.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by khattab02: 11:04am On Dec 08, 2013
DankemzI: “blood would flow on the streets of Nigeria should President Jonathan insist on running for the Presidency in 2015.”
totally out of topic.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by omoelu1(m): 11:05am On Dec 08, 2013
Carsonv:

Wired networks have more bandwidth! Your simple LAN has 100MB/s while wireless lan has about 54MB/s
thank you for the enlightenment
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Sagytarius(m): 11:08am On Dec 08, 2013
Carsonv: I was hoping someone who understands the concept of bandwidth would have commented by now.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or capacity of data your network can carry within a timeframe.

If MTN has a total bandwidth of say 400MB/s that means every second the total of data that passes through is 400MB.

If a BB phone compresses its data by 50% that means BB uses 200MB/s to transfer a 400MB data. This is against an Android or iPhone that'll use the whole bandwidth to send same data.

So you see, the logic makes sense. One android may be using same bandwidth as 20 BlackBerry phones.
Still doesn't translate to why Adnroid users should be charged higher than BB users. The last I checked, internet subscribers r being charged Megabytes/gigabytes; and not megabits-per-second (bandwidth). I still need more clarifications from u, though.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Davefirst(m): 11:08am On Dec 08, 2013
Let's check my topics out and share our views
Support me to front page pz
www.nairaland.com/1547551/mandela-heaven-hell
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 08, 2013
thats meant for the gullibles
both operating systems are promised a cap, e.g 3GB, 6GB etc so when you say BB is more compressed
then congrats to BB user as they can do more.
this does not answer why the same cap cannot be set for android devices too except you mean BB users are being ripped off when they are promise 3GB and they actually use say 1GB

so whatabout direct downloads, like downloading movies, already compressed zip or rars
they obviously have no control over what users choose to do.

NCC is obviously corrupt

2 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by nurmanteasynoni: 11:16am On Dec 08, 2013
This thing dey very simple,, regardless of whatever quantity of data the android consumes,, they should still be able to subscribe to the same amount as the BB,, and then if my phone consumes all the data b4 the expiration it is non of their business,, perhaps it will now educate every android user on how to manage data even if each page is a 100kilobyte,,, THERE IS JUST SOMETHING ELSe BEHIND THIS,,, maybe some bad belles
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 08, 2013
Big.game:
The worst part is the speed of their network, you pay for expensive data plans on a substandard network that can't even climax 1mbps, meanwhile in some developing Asian countries, you can get an unlimited data plan @5mbps and higher for less than 3k with 80gb as fair usage, no exaggeration.

you are not only exaggerating, you are lying!
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Sagytarius(m): 11:23am On Dec 08, 2013
2s£xy:
Even though I agree with many of you, does/has anybody here ever thought about the fact that MAST of network providers are powered by Diesel?

In a country where there is erratic power supply, contrary to what is obtainable in saner climes, what do you expect? We have to be rational in our clamor to get cheaper service.

Tell your government to provide constant power supply and all other things will fall into place. Imagine you own these companies, think about staff that will be paid, equipment maintenance et al. These things cost money.

They are trying and just try to put yourself in their shoes and see things from that perspective.

No need for eccentric and bias opinions.
-- My take.
cool
Ok, android users consume diesel, while BB users consume kerosene? Is that the reason android users should be charged higher than BB users?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by yomanovic: 11:24am On Dec 08, 2013
beckyomas: I hope those naive guys breaking their sim and insulting airtel would see this. Simple logic.

What does this issue of discourse have to do with Zain blocking non bb devices from using bb subscription? Seriously, your statement is illogical, irrational and for heaven sake, senseless.
Zain offers me 260 mb for 1k while I can get glo bb package of 3gig( not less than 3000mb) for the same 1k. That means airtel offers me just roughly 9 % of what glo offers for the same amount. Now why wont you yourself break your SIM you are sensible enough.
By the way, Glo used be my second line but in recent times, it is the only line i recharge. they offer me 7.2 naira for minute call both to on-net and off-net numbers un like airtel that charges about twice of that amount. I wonder why I have stuck with the useless company all the while.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ajf(m): 11:26am On Dec 08, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.
How I wish I can like this post more than once.
Oga,take 1000 likes just from me...........
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Sagytarius(m): 11:27am On Dec 08, 2013
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by jahbiz: 11:29am On Dec 08, 2013
Y u no tel m say ino clean. Rubb**c
kellsmania: clean bold 5 for sale@35k reach me on 07036690816.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Adex097: 11:31am On Dec 08, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.
GBAM!!! You've said it all bro...
#TEAM_EQUALITY
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 08, 2013
Carsonv: I was hoping someone who understands the concept of bandwidth would have commented by now.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or capacity of data your network can carry within a timeframe.

If MTN has a total bandwidth of say 400MB/s that means every second the total of data that passes through is 400MB.

If a BB phone compresses its data by 50% that means BB uses 200MB/s to transfer a 400MB data. This is against an Android or iPhone that'll use the whole bandwidth to send same data.

So you see, the logic makes sense. One android may be using same bandwidth as 20 BlackBerry phones.
alas someone with sense.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by nanizle(m): 11:43am On Dec 08, 2013
undecided
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by DJEhimond(m): 11:51am On Dec 08, 2013
If Blackberry compresses data, then why alot up to 3gig for it and a mere 200mb for devices that doesn't compress data? A thing my phone can use up in less than 30mins. Or let me put it that If the said blackberry compresses, then the browsing on it should be unlimited!

It is only in Nigeria that Android, iOS and Windows users complain. The network providers and NCC are illogical and stingy sets of people! Gbabe!!

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 08, 2013
You should also pls note that when you subscribe to your monthly BIS, more than 60% of that money goes to the BlackBerry firm in Waterloo. the rest belongs to the network providers here, so when you subscribe to bis and use on your Android, BlackBerry in Canada gets out of the cash.

occasionally the network providers open up the access to bis on other platforms so they can make some money on the side when folks refuse to subscribe to expensive bandwidth on the normal various data bundles.

for instance why make N10,000 from 10 subscribers buying regular N1,000 monthly plans, when you can make a little over N300 for every bis subscriber multiplied by the enormous non bb users who have subscribed to the service.

I hope you all understand the network providers now.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by guvngige: 11:56am On Dec 08, 2013
NCC IS PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK GAME WITH US.
GIVE ME 3GIG AND FORGET FORGET HOW I USE IT.NONSENSE.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by lugado: 11:57am On Dec 08, 2013
my people all this network providers are fooling us. blackberry servers are not meant for only blackberry phones anymore . so whether you are using bb or not you're all browsing at the same cost
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Yahoo1(m): 11:58am On Dec 08, 2013
beckyomas: I hope those naive guys breaking their sim and insulting airtel would see this. Simple logic.
they are not breaking their sim because of this duh...they are breaking it because Airtel stopped Bis on Android which is the reason why they were using Airtel,and before you start asumming,am still using the 3k subscription which i did a week before it was stopped,and which is still working!

Naive huh?.....you need to find out the definition of that.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by lugado: 12:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
BlackBerry has reportedly upgraded the
management platform Enterprise Server 10 (BES10)
for managing Android and iOS smartphones by
adding more features and lowering overall costs.
The sinking smartphone manufacturer has upgraded
its BES10 in a bid to renew its focus on the
enterprise market.
According to PC World, BlackBerry has enhanced
the platform with a version 10.2 to make it more
competitive by extending its cross-platform
support.
The report said that enterprises can now activate
iOS and Android-based devices using ‘true BYOD
mode’ where management is confined to the Secure
Work Space container only.
BlackBerry said that this feature is a good fit for
environments where full mobile device management
control for iOS and Android devices is not
preferred.
The company has also worked to improve BES
scalability as the new version can support 100,000
devices per domain, with any mix of BlackBerry, iOS
and Android devices, reducing the number of
servers and resources required for large scale
deployments, which, in turn, lowers costs.
BlackBerry has also added a self-service portal
that allows users to perform device management
tasks on their own, which could result in fewer
calls to IT, the report added.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by zicky(m): 12:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
nanizle:

Make u dey console urself.
You fit play temple run for ur bb?
FYI... I dey ping for my android.
Then y r u guyz still complaining, u ping, u play temple run. Greed.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by enigmang: 12:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
ayodot: The compression story by the OP holds no ground. The only time when data is compressed by rim is wen
1. one browse with Blackberry default browse
2. when using other Blackberry services..
Before mtn capped it bb data, a friend downloads movies and music of up to 20gig and with the use of ucweb blackberry another friend download films and software of about 3gig.
We only for the same volume of data allocate to BB be allocate to all device

It's not about how you consume the bandwidth .... It's more of the 'pull' on the network while a bb user will not overload the network as he gets his data compressed an android user will clog the network very fast... E.g... A provider can have 100 bb users at the same time while android users will just be 10 or 20 ...
Bandwidth is terribly expensive no doubt but I think they have a little justifiable reason... Wireless networks are expensive all over and the price will go down with time.. Especially when the wired service come on line...same way Vsat ha become obsolete in some major cities
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ayusco85(m): 12:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
Sell ur android fones and buy a blackberry.
Super eagles and lazio midfielder Ogenyi Onazi, said so tongue

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by mrlaw93(m): 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
Story! Story!! e no konsine me oil.. am still enjoying my #200 a k on Airtel... smh
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
talks about bandwidth consumption is shit,lame,whack,absurd 3gig is 3gig,nothing like android na mb chopper and bb na mb reservoir
let them give us our 3gig too and na first to finish am na

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by DBlackCeazer(m): 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
crackjoor: Ok, wot if I decided to download videos or musics with my BB will RIM compress the size? All dis reasons makes no sense to me joor!
bro,ur head dey there.I also think uc web and opera mini both on the symbian and java platforms does the same compression via their severs.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by vincvin(m): 12:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
Hmm all these techno users go dey shout android android.we wey dey use samsung galaxy no come get mouth talk again
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Jhulyan(m): 12:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
babarazy:

Show us the copy of the NCC response sent to you cos I believe you copy and paste this post.
and if he did nko?... The message has been passed. Take it or leave it
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
Lame excuse, just make it cheaper.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Abanicwise(m): 12:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
rasojie: we have hear.....wetin next?
oyinbo repete......... cool
rasojie: we have hear.....wetin next?
oyinbo repete.........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iphone 13 Space Satellite Features / HTC Sensation Discussion Thread / Five Features You Must Disable On New Smartphones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.