Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies (9578 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Any Viable Investment For Intending Retiree With Little Or No Supervision / Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 9:11am On Dec 30, 2013
Xyge:
Hello Bro, where do i get the stocks from? I mean the Okomu Oil and the latter? Where and how do i go about buying these stocks.. Thanks.

You can buy any stock from the Nigeria Stock Exchange through your stock broker. First open an account with a stock broker of your choice as individuals are not allowed to trade directly on the floor of the Exchange. Your stock broker will then open CSCS account (free of charge) for you, which you will use to buy or sell any stock.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by FINMGR: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
Xyge:
Hello Bro, where do i get the stocks from? I mean the Okomu Oil and the latter? Where and how do i go about buying these stocks.. Thanks.
We can buy the stocks for you. we are a registered stockbroker. PM Me
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by astroboy94(m): 8:06am On Jan 01, 2014
Do any have an idea on trading stocks with morgan capital or chapelhilldenham? Pls hw is their system like
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by choboking: 12:48pm On Jan 01, 2014
Angelstartups: @Choboking,
1)pick your e-dividend form from your broker,fill it and take to your bank for signature verification.Then return to your broker.Your dividend will be credited into your bank account.
2)Check newspapers like BusinessDay and look for Daily Stock Performance Reports,if its comprehensive it will contain dividend paid last and date paid for most companies.
Alternatively,go to the website of the companies,look for investor relations and download their most recent financial reports.There you will see dividends paid.
Some companies pay dividends twice in 1 year,most-once.

Thanks bro, u rock!! Gat it clearly....!
Anada fin is that can I use diff bank account for diff stock ?? Like use my Ecobank to receive dividend from Okumu oil nd ma 1st bank 2 receive from nestle?? Not that I`d love it that way tho, Jst curious
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Eroms4life17(m): 5:53am On Jan 02, 2014
Mr Mod tenx 4 ur timely responses. Pls i bought Access Bank Shares in 2007 opening nd got d share certificate. Since then i dnt have account wt cscs but i sti av d certificate. Wil my shares b invalidated? Tenx 4 ur wel informed replies
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:14am On Jan 02, 2014
astroboy94: Do any have an idea on trading stocks with morgan capital or chapelhilldenham? Pls hw is their system like

No idea about the two, you can also try meritrade.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:22am On Jan 02, 2014
choboking:

Thanks bro, u rock!! Gat it clearly....!
Anada fin is that can I use diff bank account for diff stock ?? Like use my Ecobank to receive dividend from Okumu oil nd ma 1st bank 2 receive from nestle?? Not that I`d love it that way tho, Jst curious

Yes you can. You can use different banks for your shares in different registrar.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:36am On Jan 02, 2014
Eroms4life17: Mr Mod tenx 4 ur timely responses. Pls i bought Access Bank Shares in 2007 opening nd got d share certificate. Since then i dnt have account wt cscs but i sti av d certificate. Wil my shares b invalidated? Tenx 4 ur wel informed replies

Share certificate doesn't get invalidated. It is your property and you can keep it for any number of years. However, it is better to lodge it with CSCS for safe keeping and trading. CSCS account will help you to buy more units of Access Bank and other shares from the secondary market.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:56am On Jan 02, 2014
WELCOME TO 2014 INVESTORS AND INTENDING INVESTORS.

Start small and grow your investment.
Do not be carried away by the bullish trend that started late last year which hopefully will continue in 2014.
Always invest in a blue chip and coys with good fundamentals.
Invest with the money you do not need presently.
Stock market is not a place for money doublers.
Always have longtime in view.
Stock market can lift anyone out of poverty.
Happy Investing.

3 Likes

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by megainvest: 8:03am On Jan 02, 2014
I have a question for the experts in the house:

Assuming somebody has 1 unit each of every stock in the NSE 30 as at 1 January 2013, what is the percentage total gain or loss (in share price, bonuses and dividends) as at December 31, 2013?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by FINMGR: 3:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
megainvest: I have a question for the experts in the house:

Assuming somebody has 1 unit each of every stock in the NSE 30 as at 1 January 2013, what is the percentage total gain or loss (in share price, bonuses and dividends) as at December 31, 2013?

Apart from the dividend and bonus, you earn the year- to - date return of the All share Index which was 47.19%
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 2:38am On Jan 03, 2014
civilserva: WELCOME TO 2014 INVESTORS AND INTENDING INVESTORS.

Do not be carried away by the bullish trend that started late last year which hopefully will continue in 2014.
Happy Investing.
Thank's, give me five good blue chip stock's to enter now?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 2:39am On Jan 03, 2014
civilserva: WELCOME TO 2014 INVESTORS AND INTENDING INVESTORS.

Happy Investing.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 03, 2014
Flour mills
Dang sugar
Dang cem
Total
GTB
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by choboking: 8:02am On Jan 03, 2014
to the house, does anyone knw any broker that accept less than a 50 thousand Naira for a start.......meritrade requires minimum of 50grand......I gat that amount but wanna use it soon, like ma ogas said, "invest in stock wif money u nat gonna be using/needing for the main time" wanna go into equity ASAP nd I love meritrade platform Jst Jst have a disposable 50grand ATM
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by choboking: 8:02am On Jan 03, 2014
to the house, does anyone knw any broker that accept less than a 50 thousand Naira for a start.......meritrade requires minimum of 50grand......I gat that amount but wanna use it soon, like ma ogas said, "invest in stock wif money u nat gonna be using/needing for the main time" wanna go into equity ASAP nd I love meritrade platform Jst dnt have a disposable 50grand ATM
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 03, 2014
choboking: to the house, does anyone knw any broker that accept less than a 50 thousand Naira for a start.......meritrade requires minimum of 50grand......I gat that amount but wanna use it soon, like ma ogas said, "invest in stock wif money u nat gonna be using/needing for the main time" wanna go into equity ASAP nd I love meritrade platform Jst dnt have a disposable 50grand ATM

Try Morgan capital, the minimum amount required to open an account with them is 20k. They also have online platform like Meristem.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by choboking: 2:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
petaling:

Try Morgan capital, the minimum amount required to open an account with them is 20k. They also have online platform like Meristem.

THANKS MAN...lemme check em up on google 2 get there website.......thanks again
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 8:10pm On Jan 03, 2014
investment in the stock market is sure way to preserve and multiply wealth. It require a grate deal of discipline and patience. Be an investor today.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 5:42pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ensure you set your investment goals in terms of holding period,in terms of minimum ROI,in terms of cut off point.Ensure the minimum ROI is more than bond yield because stocks which is a high risk investment will then not make sense.Bond yield in Nigeria is between 10-15%p.a,almost zero risk,therefore if your portfolio doesn't yield more than that,you have wasted effort,and inflation will eat deep into the small gain.Inflation is about 8% currently.
Be wise,consult your competent financial adviser who doesn't just advise because he has to feed,but gives you fundamental parameters to invest in any stock.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by valentino81(m): 11:17am On Jan 05, 2014
Pls, house I registered online with Meristem. They now send me a mail to bring the kyc documents to their ikoyi branch. What are the steps to be taken and how do I open cscs account?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 5:15pm On Jan 05, 2014
valentino81: Pls, house I registered online with Meristem. They now send me a mail to bring the kyc documents to their ikoyi branch. What are the steps to be taken and how do I open cscs account?

Did you register with Meristem or Meritrade?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by valentino81(m): 10:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
civilserva:

Did you register with Meristem or Meritrade?
sorry, meritrade. Any suggestion?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by funkymeky: 11:25pm On Jan 05, 2014
Pls and pls..house,I no longer receive dividend in my eti share,what can I do? And is eti a good share to buy? Its now #17.00 in nse but I don't know how much it was in nse when I bought it in 2008 .. Can I sell it?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by droydakkount: 12:26pm On Jan 06, 2014
Pls stock Pros in d house, recommend books a beginner can read to be able to play in this market.
Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:08pm On Jan 06, 2014
valentino81: sorry, meritrade. Any suggestion?

Meritrade requires intending clients to scan and email all required documents. Asking you to bring the documents to their Ikoyi office means the process has been changed. I am still going to confirm that. CSCS account is opened by the broker once they are satisfied with your KYC and other requirements.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:16pm On Jan 06, 2014
funkymeky: Pls and pls..house,I no longer receive dividend in my eti share,what can I do? And is eti a good share to buy? Its now #17.00 in nse but I don't know how much it was in nse when I bought it in 2008 .. Can I sell it?

Visit the ETI registrar for certificate, dividend/bonus and other related issues. All the unclaimed dividends will be re issued to you.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by valentino81(m): 7:54am On Jan 07, 2014
civilserva:

Meritrade requires intending clients to scan and email all required documents. Asking you to bring the documents to their Ikoyi office means the process has been changed. I am still going to confirm that. CSCS account is opened by the broker once they are satisfied with your KYC and other requirements.
thanks, that was the content of the mail sent to me after scanning the kyc docs. though i put a call thru yesteday and asked if neccessary and the respondent said No. which i later received another mail to send the date my account was opened in order to facilitate the opening of my CSCS account, which i did immediately.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 10, 2014
UBA CAPITAL also has online stock trading platform. You open an account online and place buy/sell order online. The minimum amount required to open an account is 50k.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by rapmike(m): 2:10pm On Jun 28, 2014
Please, what is the minimum range to use to start investing? even if its 10k I don't mind, I really want to start now as i know that if I delay, it will be dangerous for me.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by anathemiamia(f): 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2014
Please house, just to get a feel of what stocks i should be looking out for, if you were to have a budget of 150k, what stock and what quantities of each would you buy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Insurance Companies Get Recapitalisation Deadline / Nigeria Records $15bn Investments In Six Months / Bitcoin Trading.. Start Trading Now.(make Millions In Few Months)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.