Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! (1607 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine / Choice Of Engine Oil ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
Please Cartalk enthusiasts I need advice on getting an auto diagnostic machine which is comprehensive i.e. covers vast varieties of vehicles in details. On my survey I came across the Launch X431 GX3, MB Star C3 Pro and the Launch X431 Master. But my focus is on Mercedes cars.....do I forgo the MB Star in favour of the Launch tool?

All contributions and suggestions are welcome.
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
help needed Asap...

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by ziccoit: 8:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
smartchoice: Please Cartalk enthusiasts I need advice on getting an auto diagnostic machine which is comprehensive i.e. covers vast varieties of vehicles in details. On my survey I came across the[i] Launch X431 GX3, MB Star C3 Pro and the Launch X431 Master[/i]. But my focus is on Mercedes cars.....do I forgo the MB Star in favour of the Launch tool?

All contributions and suggestions are welcome.

The ones you selected are very expensive. They run into thousand of dollars to purchase if I'm not mistaking. Maintenance is even the problem which include software upgrade etc. Getting them may not be economically viable except if you run an autoMechanic workshops. An hand held tester/scanner that would be cheaper and all encompassing could be a better alternative to a proffesional diagonistic machine.
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Heffalump(m): 9:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
OBD III isn't bad. Simple and portable. Appears in different models.
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
@ziccoit true but someone just told me about techstream, unfortunately seems to work for only toyota
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by ealltech: 9:26am On Sep 18, 2014
Here's what you need to know with regard to the Chinese SDS systems:
The MB STAR C3 is older than the C4, which came out a relatively short time ago. The advent of the C4 drove the former $600-1,000 price of the C3 down to the $275-500 range.
A C3 is more than all you need; a C4 is overkill in a number of ways, which I'll mention in a moment.
If you can, get a used MB HHT, which is going to give you everything you need and will be VERY fast.
The C3 (particularly if it runs on an external hard drive attached to a Windows XP laptop) is VERY slow. I'm talking 6-12 minutes bootup time, depending on your machine.
The C4 covers the very newest cars (such as a W212) but you are more than fine with a C3 from anything from 1989 up to a W212, W221, W203, etc.
Newer versions of the C3 and C4 have increasing levels of protection built in against piracy and cloning. While this can and is defeated, it takes the Chinese crackers a little while to get their hands on the new systems and then hack them. It's best just to get a C3 which is going to have a minimum of this crap while giving you everything you need.
It's preferable to get a system that has the Xentry, WISnet, EPCnet, Star Finder and Star Utilities (full package). Sometimes the EPC doesn't work, but that is generally OK for US folks because we have free access to the latest EPC anyhow.
The best place to get the Chinese C3 and C4 clones is via Alibaba.com (Aliexpress.com) rather than eBay. These vendors are very good, and are very accessible and responsive. If you send them a message they will get back to you very quickly. You can pay via credit/debit card, Western Union, etc. Some vendors accept Paypal and others. The eBay cloned tend to be MUCH more expensive than those available on Aliexpress/Alibaba.com. Expect to pay $275-350 for a C3, and upwards of $500 for a C4. Again, no real benefit to a C4 but there's LOTS of added complexity
The C3s are available for Dell, IBM T30 laptops and also on an external USB hard drive. The total package is about 60 GB for all of the software. I recommend putting a nice big hard drive on your laptop with a virgin copy of Windows XP, and partitioning that drive with an 80GB partition. Then clone the USB hard drive image you get to that 80GB partition. That way everything is on one hard drive and this helps the overall loading speed quite a bit.
The C3 software on the external hard drive ships as a VMware virtual machine image of the IBM T30 SDS that MB sells to dealers and indy shops.
The software can be a bit difficult for some folks to install and get going. Most of the sellers do provide technical support via chat, email and often then can even do a remote session by where you can let them access your computer over the Internet remotely so that they can configure the software if there is an error with your configuration.
I DO NOT IN ANY WAY recommend installing this on your home or any sort of "production" laptop that you would use for any regular home tasks. Rather, get a used laptop off of eBay or Craigslist and use this as the Garage/SDS computer. It's OK to have it hooked up to your internet connection (particularly if you need tech support) but you DO NOT want to have this garage/SDS computer sharing files or accessible from or with any other computers that you have in your home, particularly if you rely on them for anything important.
Some of the Chinese systems do have Trojans and virii on them, and some of these do not necessarily get picked up by antivirus software. This is the main reason why I DO recommend that you run the garage system in isolation and DO NOT let it communicate or share files with any other computers you have.
The hardware (multiplexer box, cables, etc.) are all pretty high quality and should last just fine for normal, occasional workshop usage. Just make sure you have the "38-pin" cable for use with your 500E/E500, as well as any post-1992 R129 or W140. Model Year 2000 was the last year that any MB used the 38-pin connector (it first appeared on the 500E). The W220 S-Class was the first S-model not to use the 38-pin connector.
You MUST have at least 1GB of memory in your laptop, and more is better. 2GB would be optimal.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by erico2k2(m): 9:47am On Sep 18, 2014
Heffalump: OBD III isn't bad. Simple and portable. Appears in different models.
OBD 11 you mean?
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 20, 2014
How about the carsoft for the Benz?
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 12:21am On Sep 20, 2014
erico2k2:
OBD 11 you mean?

Not sure what he meant but OBD3 is out now.
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2014
ealltech: Here's what you need to know with regard to the Chinese SDS systems:
The MB STAR C3 is older than the C4, which came out a relatively short time ago. The advent of the C4 drove the former $600-1,000 price of the C3 down to the $275-500 range.
A C3 is more than all you need; a C4 is overkill in a number of ways, which I'll mention in a moment.
If you can, get a used MB HHT, which is going to give you everything you need and will be VERY fast.
The C3 (particularly if it runs on an external hard drive attached to a Windows XP laptop) is VERY slow. I'm talking 6-12 minutes bootup time, depending on your machine.
The C4 covers the very newest cars (such as a W212) but you are more than fine with a C3 from anything from 1989 up to a W212, W221, W203, etc.
Newer versions of the C3 and C4 have increasing levels of protection built in against piracy and cloning. While this can and is defeated, it takes the Chinese crackers a little while to get their hands on the new systems and then hack them. It's best just to get a C3 which is going to have a minimum of this crap while giving you everything you need.
It's preferable to get a system that has the Xentry, WISnet, EPCnet, Star Finder and Star Utilities (full package). Sometimes the EPC doesn't work, but that is generally OK for US folks because we have free access to the latest EPC anyhow.
The best place to get the Chinese C3 and C4 clones is via Alibaba.com (Aliexpress.com) rather than eBay. These vendors are very good, and are very accessible and responsive. If you send them a message they will get back to you very quickly. You can pay via credit/debit card, Western Union, etc. Some vendors accept Paypal and others. The eBay cloned tend to be MUCH more expensive than those available on Aliexpress/Alibaba.com. Expect to pay $275-350 for a C3, and upwards of $500 for a C4. Again, no real benefit to a C4 but there's LOTS of added complexity
The C3s are available for Dell, IBM T30 laptops and also on an external USB hard drive. The total package is about 60 GB for all of the software. I recommend putting a nice big hard drive on your laptop with a virgin copy of Windows XP, and partitioning that drive with an 80GB partition. Then clone the USB hard drive image you get to that 80GB partition. That way everything is on one hard drive and this helps the overall loading speed quite a bit.
The C3 software on the external hard drive ships as a VMware virtual machine image of the IBM T30 SDS that MB sells to dealers and indy shops.
The software can be a bit difficult for some folks to install and get going. Most of the sellers do provide technical support via chat, email and often then can even do a remote session by where you can let them access your computer over the Internet remotely so that they can configure the software if there is an error with your configuration.
I DO NOT IN ANY WAY recommend installing this on your home or any sort of "production" laptop that you would use for any regular home tasks. Rather, get a used laptop off of eBay or Craigslist and use this as the Garage/SDS computer. It's OK to have it hooked up to your internet connection (particularly if you need tech support) but you DO NOT want to have this garage/SDS computer sharing files or accessible from or with any other computers that you have in your home, particularly if you rely on them for anything important.
Some of the Chinese systems do have Trojans and virii on them, and some of these do not necessarily get picked up by antivirus software. This is the main reason why I DO recommend that you run the garage system in isolation and DO NOT let it communicate or share files with any other computers you have.
The hardware (multiplexer box, cables, etc.) are all pretty high quality and should last just fine for normal, occasional workshop usage. Just make sure you have the "38-pin" cable for use with your 500E/E500, as well as any post-1992 R129 or W140. Model Year 2000 was the last year that any MB used the 38-pin connector (it first appeared on the 500E). The W220 S-Class was the first S-model not to use the 38-pin connector.
You MUST have at least 1GB of memory in your laptop, and more is better. 2GB would be optimal.

Nice write up. It reminded me that I have EPCNet as I totally forgot.

This should be stickied somewhere or pasted into the FAQ for car talk. The OP is a time waster and just yanking your chain (look at all his other threads, they have nothing to do with the subject at hand) but others that are serious will most certainly find it useful.

Thanks.
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
smartchoice:

Thanks but I now have access to carsoft, launch and mb-star the dell kind which is pre installed on the laptop....was with the external one initially but it did not work....dis regard CityNG's reputational jingo...as you would have noticed I opened this thread December 2013. Thanks again for the insightful input which am sure a lot of people will find useful. Cheers.

If you post irrefutable proof that you have this I will leave Nairaland today grin
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 20, 2014
you will certainly leave ASAP the way Somorin left unceremoniously!

CityNG:

If you post irrefutable proof that you have this I will leave Nairaland today grin
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2014
smartchoice: old man you again?

Smartchoice, Stop this cyberbullying. If you don't, I'd be force to take actions against you.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 20, 2014
Oga @ d top....I sense partiality here....CityNG is actually the one harassing me here! Please use your good offices to save me from this American wonder! Biko... and please why is the 14th post on this thread hidden?

lomomike:

Smartchoice, Stop this cyberbullying. If you don't, I'd be force to take actions against you.
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by bellong: 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
Which of the diagnostic machines did you buy and at what cost?

Does it work for all/most vehicles?
Re: Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! by erico2k2(m): 5:20pm On Sep 26, 2014
CityNG:

Not sure what he meant but OBD3 is out now.
Brove did U read that stuff I wrote regard OBD3?I copied it from the link you gave.have a look

(1) (Reply)

OLX And Scamming / Photo: Corolla Vs Camry Vs Yaris / I Need A Competent Rewire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.