Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine (1215 Views)

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company (IVM) Launches An Auto Finance Scheme / Choice Of A Comprehensive Auto Diagnostic Tool! / Vehicle Diagnostic Machine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by Jazzlite: 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
I need help on the choice of an auto diagnostic machine,
Thanks all
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by DECOtech(m): 11:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by Nobody: 12:42am On Sep 26, 2014
Jazzlite: I need help on the choice of an auto diagnostic machine,
Thanks all

Provide more explanation.

Are you looking for a handheld scanner, a manufacturer specific scanning software or a jack of all trades stand alone device?
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by mexxy1(m): 8:47am On Sep 26, 2014
@CityNG, please what do you think about the Autel MD802 scanner? Is it okay for private use for someone not so vast in automechanics like you guys. Just personal use.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2014
mexxy1: @CityNG, please what do you think about the Autel MD802 scanner? Is it okay for private use for someone not so vast in automechanics like you guys. Just personal use.

It's an overkill for private use in my opinion but of course it will work. The ones I sell for N10k are more than enough.

Good luck.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by domack99(m): 6:11pm On Sep 26, 2014
Just buy ELM327, you actually don't need more than that except you own an auto shop
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by mexxy1(m): 6:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
CityNG:

It's an overkill for private use in my opinion but of course it will work. The ones I sell for N10k are more than enough.

Good luck.
Okay. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by mejai(m): 10:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
CityNG:

Good luck.
dude, will dis ur scanner be OK for 2008 Toyota corolla south africa model.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
mejai:
dude, will dis ur scanner be OK for 2008 Toyota corolla south africa model.

Hello there.

According to the manufacturer:

Vehicles Covered:
GM '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
Ford '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
Chrysler '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
Toyota '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
Honda '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
NISSAN '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
All other Asian and European '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)

It appears that it will work based on the information from the manufacturer but I have not personally tested it on your particular model.

Thanks for the interest.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by mexxy1(m): 11:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
I asked on Autel website and they replied that the MS509 is no longer on production and that majority being displayed are cloned versions and they recommended the MD802 but since I'm not an auto professional, I had to ask about it before making a decision.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by itsmayiela(m): 6:43am On Sep 27, 2014
@cityNG, pls do u have an affordable scanner for volkswagen golf 3? What is d cost (if u have)? Thanks
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 27, 2014
itsmayiela: @cityNG, pls do u have an affordable scanner for volkswagen golf 3? What is d cost (if u have)? Thanks

N10k shipped when picked up in shippers office in Ikeja or my store in Ibadan (other delivery arrangements can be made at extra cost), look in my signature.

Thanks.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
mexxy1: I asked on Autel website and they replied that the MS509 is no longer on production and that majority being displayed are cloned versions and they recommended the MD802 but since I'm not an auto professional, I had to ask about it before making a decision.

Just to clear the air.

It is true that the MS509 is no longer in production but still remains an excellent top range OBD2 reader for the automotive hobbyists (the 2013 Toyota Camry and the 2013 Honda Accord are no longer in production but that doesn't diminish that they're both still and continues to be excellent motor vehicle, as an example).

The replacement for MS509 is the AL519 (in my opinion) and offers some new features (just like the 2015 Honda Accord and Toyota Camry has more features than the 2013 models but those still remain excellent class leaders).

For a seasoned mechanic, you will have more than one scanner (I have about 5), because different scanners offer different levels of performance. For example if a customer pull sup in a 2000 Accord and has a check engine light on, you can quickly take your handheld scanner to his car in the parking lot and do a quick scan. On the other hand if you have taken in a job to replace emission parts and the car is in your repair stall, you may want to use your higher end standalone scanner or Honda specific laptop based scanner so that you can get critical measurements done. Most every manufacturer has applications built by third parties to troubleshoot their cars.

As an example I have Ross Techs VagCom for Audi/VW, I can read and clear codes, I can plug it in and drive around and then come back to my garage and play back the recordings to see what the sensors are doing to throw codes, I can adjust the effort required to turn the power steering, I can change what the remote control does (open all windows, close all windows, etc), I can read and clear ABS and airbag faults, on and on and on..

So moral of the story:

1) Just because it's discontinued doesn't mean it's bad. If it's recalled then it's bad.
2) Almost everything made in China is cloned. Even iPhones are cloned with Apples security methods.
3) As a mechanic, you'll need more than one code reader, so you guys need to stop with the insane research to figure out which reader to buy. Get the best that you can afford now (even the cheapie small ones will do), and then as your clientele develops and maybe you start focusing on a particular brand then you can invest in a make/model specific one.
4) OBD2 is a standard, sure some manufacturers will make a bonehead decision once in a while and deviate or adopt some standard early and then some readers won't work on them but that is few and far in between.

OP, this is not particularly directed at you but just some things that I've been reading on here about scanners and some emails that I get.
Re: Choice Of An Auto Diagnostic Machine by kcpumpin068(m): 10:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
GARU TECHNOLOGIES...to serve you better in the world of automobiles......technologically involve in branding and showcase our standard.....these have made us to remain in the business.....to invest on automobile industries with the aim of achieving your goal......contact us on www.ecutool.com.ng, www.garutech net or call 08023190606.we are reliable and trusted......

for all kinds of auto diagnostics and key programming machines.....kindly visit our websites
alldata/michelle on demand and autodata.....available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

How To Install Car Trackers / Keep Yourself Safe This Rainy Season! / Air/fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction On 94 Corolla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.