Stats: 3,158,547 members, 7,837,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? (618 Views)

When Movies Were Movies – A Retrospective Analysis Of Nollywood / Kajola - Another Reflection Of Naija Ineptitude / Genevieve Nnaji: A True Star (2) (3) (4)

Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by Gracified1: 10:39am On Dec 09, 2013
I am really curious to know if Yorubas and truly very diabolical. I've taken my time to study the movies shown on DSTV's AfMagic Yoruba and have noticed that in every movie you must see some guy or lady going to meet a traditionalist; what is popularly referred to as "babalawo". I know it is just the media (movies) but aren't these movies a reflection of what goes on in this society? The other day a friend told me her close friend sleeps with the son of one of the high politicians in the South West (name witheld for safety reasons) and this happens only when she's menstrauting as the guy has insisted that he sleeps with her only during her monthly menstration. Of course he pays her handsomely after every encounter (millions).
So with the revelation of such story, it makes me want to believe that such things happen in society a lot...all in the name of money...and later power.
Now back to my question...is this propagated in mostly Yoruba movies because it happens a lot within this tribe?even Yoruba comedy movies are not exempted.
For the record...this is not a tribal slur. I am full fledged Yoruba with both parents from the South west. Just bothers me if this is a true reflection of the Yoruba tribe.
Re: Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by sheymaziggy: 4:01am On Dec 10, 2013
Dude y dis naa, I guess u don't want him Pete edochie films nd d rest where dey diabolicaly kill dere brothers nd wife fir rituals shey, nonsense Na em u be
Re: Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by UjSizzle(f): 8:13am On Dec 10, 2013
If we go by what movies portray then Yorubas are diabolical, Igbos are ritualist/cultists, Nigerians are fraudsters, Americans are psychopaths, Russians are terrorists, Indians are suicidal(i hear that's true btw), Chinese all know martial arts, Earthlings are morally and technologically weak and some day Aliens will take over.

Point is movies have an image to portray. From being satirical to historical, entertaining to being the product of a hyperactive imagination smiley You shouldn't judge a people/society by what you watch on tv.
Re: Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by yfo: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2013
uj_sizzle: If we go by what movies portray then Yorubas are diabolical, Igbos are ritualist/cultists, Nigerians are fraudsters, Americans are psychopaths, Russians are terrorists, Indians are suicidal(i hear that's true btw), Chinese all know martial arts, Earthlings are morally and technologically weak and some day Aliens will take over.

Point is movies have an image to portray. From being satirical to historical, entertaining to being the product of a hyperactive imagination smiley

coming from nairaland's movie princess...i'd take all that to heart as d law

btw, i haven't given up my quest to "borrow" your stash of movies*winky*
Re: Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by UjSizzle(f): 3:00pm On Dec 10, 2013
y-fo:

coming from nairaland's movie princess...i'd take all that to heart as d law

btw, i haven't given up my quest to "borrow" your stash of movies*winky*
lol I'm waiting smiley

Re: Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by Gracified1: 7:39am On Dec 11, 2013
uj_sizzle: If we go by what movies portray then Yorubas are diabolical, Igbos are ritualist/cultists, Nigerians are fraudsters, Americans are psychopaths, Russians are terrorists, Indians are suicidal(i hear that's true btw), Chinese all know martial arts, Earthlings are morally and technologically weak and some day Aliens will take over.

Point is movies have an image to portray. From being satirical to historical, entertaining to being the product of a hyperactive imagination smiley You shouldn't judge a people/society by what you watch on tv.

True but infact a certain percentage of these nationalities/tribes are infact involved in these things. Even you will attest to it.ofcourse not the entire populace but a percentage of them engage in these activities. So in as much as movies might e satirical or just pure entertainment, it also reflects what happens in the society. So my question - is it a true reflection does not cover the entire race/tribe. Atleast I'm Yoruba and I'm not diabolical.
Re: Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society? by Gracified1: 7:41am On Dec 11, 2013
sheymaziggy: Dude y dis naa, I guess u don't want him Pete edochie films nd d rest where dey diabolicaly kill dere brothers nd wife fir rituals shey, nonsense Na em u be

don't some people do it in this nation nigeria?

What Is Nigeria's No1 Tv Station / Actress Bimbo Akintola: I Love To Be The Centre Of Attraction / Yaaran Da Katchup - Full Punjabi Movie