Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (2309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3747741 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2306) (2307) (2308) (2309) (2310) (2311) (2312) ... (3834) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:20am On Sep 11, 2020
AbdulSleeky:

This would be true, if things were equal.

But the average Nigerian is notoriously stupid when it comes to hard sci fi movies.

Lol grin

You sure say you no be Jerome Black/Whitelotus?? grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Liposure: 9:21am On Sep 11, 2020
SUGAR RUSH
Story was interesting. Acting was satisfactory except for some over the top performances. Production was stunning. I like the VFX design. Overall, a laughable drama
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 11, 2020
Don't tell me that you are just coming to this realisation
abduleez1:

Lol grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 9:37am On Sep 11, 2020
Mulan (2020)

Mulan 2020 is the live action remake of the classic Disney animated movie about a girl who disguises herself as a man and goes to war in her father's place.

POSTIIVES
1. Unlike most of the Disney live action remakes, this movie is not an exact remake of the original. The villain is different, his motivation is different, there is inclusion of fantasy elements that were not in the original etc.
And I think this is a good decision (in theory anyway).
Almost all of the Disney classics still hold up well today. The animation, voice acting and story all look great till this day, so a lot of people have criticised the live action remakes as soulless cash grabs that have nothing to offer.
This movie on the other hand, tried to tell a story that isn't exact to the original and I think that is quite laudable.

2. The movie looks extremely nice. The location and cinematography are all top notch and as such, the movie is a visual delight.

NEGATIVES

1. As much as I would like praise the fact that the movie tried to do something different, unfortunately, the changes that were made was for the worst.

The core message of the movie feels vastly inferior to the original and a lot of the supporting characters are devoid of personality.

2. The acting isn't too good.

I've noticed that when (some) Chinese people act in a language that isn't Mandarin, their performance leaves so much to be desired and I think that this was the case in this movie.
Some characters in this movie were good like Mulan's father. However, the movie is littered with may instances of sub-par acting.

The actress who plays Mulan is also guilty of this. In some scenes, she in good, however, there are many scenes where she has this beautifully frozen face that is utterly incapable of emoting.

3. Bloodless warfare. Yey!
I understand that this is a PG movie, but the scenes of bloodless warfare really took me out of the movie.
It just felt like, we are looking at a high school play. Someone gets stabbed- you don't see any blood and the blade is also bloodless. Hmm.

4. Weird editing choices.
This movie has a lot of bizarre editing but the one that sticks out for me was in the battlefield where birds start to attack the soldiers and then they form a sort of dome with their shields in order to protect themselves.

Then the bad guys bring out their cannon and begin to shoot the good guys.

OK oh. No problem.

From the wider shot, we could see about 5-7 shield domes. Maybe there are more but we didn't get to see them.

In response, Mulan who is quite far from the position of the bad guys, jumps on a horse, picks up like 5-7 helmets, and then in the next shot, she is very far behind the bad guys - like WTF?
Does she now teleport?

5. For some reason, they decided to not include any of the songs from the original in the movie. There is a bit of the instrumental version of one of the classic songs but that was all.
I. Can understand why they didn't want to make it a musical, however, they should have still included some of the classic songs in the background or in a montage

In conclusion, Mulan, like all Disney live-action remakes suck when compared to the original, however on its own, the movie is just avergish and highly forgettable.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by nani667: 9:38am On Sep 11, 2020
undecided

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:02am On Sep 11, 2020
alexistaiwo:
Don't tell me that you are just coming to this realisation

Lol, nope.

I've been suspecting for a long time... grin grin
After Whitelotus off, him show face. cheesy

I always thought his style of writing was very familiar. The Abdul- something name was the one throwing me off his scent. grin grin

Him verbal attacks always shows Blacks MO, na just the Islamic name make the matter funny, and the fact say GEE na Renowned Atheist. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:10am On Sep 11, 2020
Gmajor:
Mulan (2020)

Mulan 2020 is the live action remake of the classic Disney animated movie about a girl who disguises herself as a man and goes to war in her father's place.

POSTIIVES
1. Unlike most of the Disney live action remakes, this movie is not an exact remake of the original. The villain is different, his motivation is different, there is inclusion of fantasy elements that were not in the original etc.
Almost all of the Disney classics still hold up well today. The animation, voice acting and story all look great till this day, so a lot of people have criticised the live action remakes as soulless cash grabs that have nothing to offer.
This movie on the other hand, tried to tell a story that isn't exact to the original and I think that is quite laudable.

2. The movie looks extremely nice. The location and cinematography are all top notch and as such, the movie is a visual delight.

NEGATIVES

1. As much as I would like praise the fact that the movie tried to do something different, unfortunately, the changes that were made was for the worst.

The core message of the movie feels vastly inferior to the original and a lot of the supporting characters are devoid of personality.

I've noticed that when (some) Chinese people act in a language that isn't Mandarin, their performance leaves so much to be desired and I think that this was the case in this movie.
Some characters in this movie were good like Mulan's father. However, the movie is littered with may instances of sub-par acting.

The actress who plays Mulan is also guilty of this. In some scenes, she in good, however, there are many scenes where she has this beautifully frozen face that is utterly incapable of emoting.

I understand that this is a PG movie, but the scenes of bloodless warfare really took me out of the movie.
It just felt like, we are looking at a high school play. Someone gets stabbed- you don't see any blood and the blade is also bloodless. Hmm.

This movie has a lot of bizarre editing but the one that sticks out for me was in the battlefield where birds start to attack the soldiers and then they form a sort of dome with their shields in order to protect themselves.

OK oh. No problem.

From the wider shot, we could see about 5-7 shield domes. Maybe there are more but we didn't get to see them.

In response, Mulan who is quite far from the position of the bad guys, jumps on a horse, picks up like 5-7 helmets, and then in the next shot, she is very far behind the bad guys - like WTF?
Does she now teleport?

5. For some reason, they decided to not include any of the songs from the original in the movie. There is a bit of the instrumental version of one of the classic songs but that was all.
I. Can understand why they didn't want to make it a musical, however, they should have still included some of the classic songs in the background or in a montage

In conclusion, Mulan, like all Disney live-action remakes suck when compared to the original, however on its own, the movie is just avergish and highly forgettable.

Sheesh man!!! cheesy. This one na 2 fullscap of Higher education. grin

Great talking points tho. wink
But where is the overall Rating??

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2020
The Autopsy of Jane Doe ...... 7.5/10

Good horror film. Great Jump scares and gore. Decent Acting, superb CGI and practical effects.

It's a movie about a dead girl who was brought in for an Autopsy coroner report. The Coroners during their Autopsy of the corpse soon find out it was a costly error in desecrating the body. As they uncover the mysteries behind her death, they soon encounter metaphysical occurrences beyond their control.

If you can't stomach Gore and graphic depiction of the human Anatomy, my friend steer clear!! grin
This ain't for feeble minds. cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 11, 2020
Should have known the Abdul moniker was chosen to blend in and attack theists from within. cheesy

abduleez1:

Lol, nope.

I've been suspecting for a long time... grin grin
After Whitelotus off, him show face. cheesy

I always thought his style of writing was very familiar. The Abdul- something name was the one throwing me off his scent. grin grin

Him verbal attacks always shows Blacks MO, na just the Islamic name make the matter funny, and the fact say GEE na Renowned Atheist. grin

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 10:35am On Sep 11, 2020
abduleez1:

Sheesh man!!! cheesy. This one na 2 fullscap of Higher education. grin

Great talking points tho. wink
But where is the overall Rating??

4/10.
A very forgettable movie

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:36am On Sep 11, 2020
Train To Busan 2: Peninsula ........ 5.9/10

This film grossly pales behind the Original. In a bid to add more action the producers spoilt the fun and originality of the first, trying to do too much. By trying to deliver a happy ending since fans couldn't get such satisfaction in the First, they made the ending cliché and unrealistic to a fault. There's also the problem of choppy CGI and unrealistic action scenes. Acting was good tho.

Overall it is a decent average flick.

This film eventually proves that Not All Sequels are Created Equal.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:39am On Sep 11, 2020
alexistaiwo:
Should have known the Abdul moniker was chosen to blend in and attack theists from within. cheesy

Lol, I swear. grin cheesy

At first I think say the Guy dey troll me, na later I know say na blending stratagem. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by AbdulSleeky: 10:49am On Sep 11, 2020
abduleez1:

Lol grin

I'm disappointed in you. So you didnt know who I was since all this time?

grin grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by AbdulSleeky: 10:54am On Sep 11, 2020
alexistaiwo:

abduleez1:

Lol, I swear. grin cheesy

At first I think say the Guy dey troll me, na later I know say na blending stratagem. grin

Alexistaiwo knows his customer very well. grin grin

Here is the story of the original abdulsleek (the undercover muslim)
https://www.nairaland.com/1119951/how-logicboy-exposed-other-section#13199295

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Karleb(m): 11:21am On Sep 11, 2020
Dolomite.

I just got to the sexx scene which happened to be the funniest so far! grin grin grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by seankafor(m): 12:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
Karleb:
Dolomite.

I just got to the sexx scene which happened to be the funniest so far! grin grin grin grin

[img]https://media1./images/318f5a2047ce0b8340bd977dd33dc014/tenor.gif?itemid=18415947[/img]

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by seankafor(m): 12:29pm On Sep 11, 2020
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by seankafor(m): 12:31pm On Sep 11, 2020
grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ProverbBaelish: 5:44pm On Sep 11, 2020
Gmajor:
Mulan (2020)

POSTIIVES

[s] NEGATIVES

OK oh. No problem.

Does she now teleport?

In conclusion, Mulan, like all Disney live-action remakes suck when compared to the original, however on its own, the movie is just avergish and highly forgettable.[/s]
you are talking of the best film on my radar right now

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 5:49pm On Sep 11, 2020
Tron Legacy (2010) ......... 6/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 6:05pm On Sep 11, 2020
ProverbBaelish:

you are talking of the best film on my radar right now

Have you seen the original animated version?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ProverbBaelish: 6:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
Gmajor:

Have you seen the original animated version?
Yes i have, but what shocked me is the fact that you said the acting was not good enough for you

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:56pm On Sep 11, 2020
AbdulSleeky:

I'm disappointed in you. So you didnt know who I was since all this time?

grin grin grin

Lol, I smelt it. Couldn't confirm you empirically. grin
But got it recently, just didn't wanna shout "Wolf" till I was super sure. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 11, 2020
I just mentally unfriend one of my female friends now now, she said that the word of God is the most important factor to consider before marriage and it supercedes genotype because if doctor's report says no and God says yes, it is a go ahead.

Some people's education is a complete waste angry

AbdulSleeky:

Alexistaiwo knows his customer very well. grin grin

Here is the story of the original abdulsleek (the undercover muslim)
https://www.nairaland.com/1119951/how-logicboy-exposed-other-section#13199295

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by TheSublime(f): 10:00pm On Sep 11, 2020
Please I need a good website recommendation for downloading American movies
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by armadeo(m): 10:18pm On Sep 11, 2020
abduleez1:
The Autopsy of Jane Doe ...... 7.5/10

Good horror film. Great Jump scares and gore. Decent Acting, superb CGI and practical effects.

It's a movie about a dead girl who was brought in for an Autopsy coroner report. The Coroners during their Autopsy of the corpse soon find out it was a costly error in desecrating the body. As they uncover the mysteries behind her death, they soon encounter metaphysical occurrences beyond their control.

If you can't stomach Gore and graphic depiction of the human Anatomy, my friend steer clear!! grin
This ain't for feeble minds. cheesy

Man. This film was really scary. I hated watching it. Goose bumps all over.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by armadeo(m): 10:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
Tenet.

Honestly I need to rewatch this movie cos some parts just flipped me over.

The end had me all tied up I didnt understand that last battle scene at all despite the reversal tech.

But shit I was entertained.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxa1(m): 10:50pm On Sep 11, 2020
ProverbBaelish:

Yes i have, but what shocked me is the fact that you said the acting was not good enough for you

I just watched the 4K version I downloaded (about 15GB). Very good and vivid colours but apart from that, not much more.

I will rate it 4.5/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Moneyboyz: 11:59pm On Sep 11, 2020
armadeo:
Tenet.

Honestly I need to rewatch this movie cos some parts just flipped me over.

The end had me all tied up I didnt understand that last battle scene at all despite the reversal tech.

But shit I was entertained.

Where did you download or watch?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by armadeo(m): 12:14am On Sep 12, 2020
Moneyboyz:

Where did you download or watch?

I googled it. Got it from netnaija I think.

Not heavy about 350mB.

Its camrip but watchable on phone. They in turn stole it off fz.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ola12(m): 12:28am On Sep 12, 2020
@armadeo. How was the movie?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2306) (2307) (2308) (2309) (2310) (2311) (2312) ... (3834) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Meel, spookem(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.