Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,004 members, 7,863,618 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:37 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (660) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3836338 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) ... (3864) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Moneyboyz: 9:41pm On May 05, 2018
introvertme:

The movie is crappy,don't know why you're supporting this nonsense.

If you didn't cringe while watching that garbage called black panther,then you've got a problem.

Even ishilove admitted that the accent was shitty and that's one out of a 100 flaws. grin

Your head dey there , I was like what the heck is this when I watched it.. I'm so disappointed..

I was surprised to see people watching this movie 3 times and some rating this movie above 5.0

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:41pm On May 05, 2018
oyetpel:

You know i was surprised when i read your review, cos i respect your reviews but you jumped on the overrated bandwagon.

No, I didn't. I've not watched it before and never gave a review till today when I watched. I only said the storyline was not THAT great and I still think it isn't, but I never thought it was overhyped because I wasn't just looking at it from the storyline angle.

The African culture intonations, locations, languages, costumes were well represented. I love the fact they made it an African superhero movie and used Africa scenery and names. It's cultural significance for blacks who are fans of Hollywood. I also feel they'd have used at least one or two African actors who are not based in Hollywood. For example, I think Pete Edochie would have played the part of Forest Whittaker better than him. Pete is much more in tune with the African voodoo/priesthood ways and how to play it, it will come more naturally to him. They basically used only blacks in Hollywood to act an African-esque superhero movie while neglecting good African based actors, and it didn't seat well with me. But the movie is nice generally.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 9:44pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

No, I didn't. I've not watched it before and never gave a review till today when I watched. I only said the storyline was not THAT great and I still think it isn't, but I never thought it was overhyped because I wasn't just looking at it from the storyline angle.

The African culture intonations, locations, languages, costumes were well represented. I love the fact they made it an African superhero movie and used Africa scenery and names. It's cultural significance for blacks who are fans of Hollywood. I also feel they'd have used at least one or two African actors who are not based in Hollywood. For example, I think Pete Edochie would have played the part of Forest Whittaker better than him. Pete is much more in tune with the African voodoo/priesthood ways and how to play it, it will come more naturally to him. They basically used only blacks in Hollywood to act an African-esque superhero movie while neglecting good African based actors, and it didn't seat well with me. But the movie is nice generally.

They used stars that are well known.

That's Hollywood.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:46pm On May 05, 2018
introvertme:

If you didn't cringe while watching that garbage called black panther,then you've got a problem.

Even ishilove admitted that the accent was shitty and that's one out of a 100 flaws. grin

The use of Black Americans with the exception of Lupita N'yongo created that flaw in their language. Africans based actors would have voiced it well better than their Black American counterparts. Forest Whittaker priest role didn't impress me at all.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:51pm On May 05, 2018
oyetpel:

They used stars that are well known.

That's Hollywood.

I think adding one or two not well-known African actors wouldn't have spoiled the fun of the film. Would have made Africans feel more represented. But that's all water under the bridge. I'm looking forward to the subsequent sequels to see how story will pan out.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 9:51pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

The use of Black Americans with the exception of Lupita N'yongo created that flaw in their language. Africans based actors would have voiced it well better than their Black American counterparts. Forest Whittaker priest role didn't impress me at all.
That's one of its great flaws
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 9:52pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

Lupita was the one that used fake accent pass.

She started with a bad African accent in sambisa, after that it was gburururu... fast English.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Moneyboyz: 9:52pm On May 05, 2018
Anyone watched THE AUTOPSY OF JANE DOE here..
You should check it out
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SaviTar(m): 10:06pm On May 05, 2018
I cant believe that a crappy Black Panther movie is rated higher than Infinity War on Rotten Tomatoes undecided
Wakanda conspiracy is that
It's very obvious that critics went easy on Black Panther for fear of being called RACIST :/
That movie is overated.
The storyline is average.
The acting is wooden.
And the CGI
Dont get me started on the crappy CGI.
Those Rhinos made me wanna throw up.
Black Panther himself had a messy CGI.
The final battle was too poor.
The part where Shuri fired something at two soldiers and they went flying across the screen.
I puked.

I wanted to give the movie a 4/10 but for the sake of an impressive Michael B Jordan and Andy Serkis, i'll give it a 5.5/10.

I'm not impressed.

Apparently the only people defending this movie are butt hurt Marvel fanboys.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ibkayee(f): 10:16pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

Personally, I won't say Black Panther is overhyped because the actual hype is not about the great storyline of the movie, or because it's the best movie ever, the hype comes from its cultural significance, and what it means for the black people, having their own superhero, with our own African identity and roots clearly depicted in the movie. I still think the names you listed would have been better actors than the ones used who are just blacks but lack that African touch the likes of Chiwetel has.
I agree
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxe0075: 10:23pm On May 05, 2018
introvertme:

He seems to have watched that movie with emotions. Oh!! This is an oyinbo movie showcasing the African culture, let me just overlook the nollywood-like storyline, at least it's showcasing the Africa culture grin

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 10:29pm On May 05, 2018
SaviTar:
I cant believe that a crappy Black Panther movie is rated higher than Infinity War on Rotten Tomatoes undecided
Wakanda conspiracy is that
It's very obvious that critics went easy on Black Panther for fear of being called RACIST :/
That movie is overated.
The storyline is average.
The acting is wooden.
And the CGI
Dont get me started on the crappy CGI.
Those Rhinos made me wanna throw up.
Black Panther himself had a messy CGI.
The final battle was too poor.
The part where Shuri fired something at two soldiers and they went flying across the screen.
I puked.

I wanted to give the movie a 4/10 but for the sake of an impressive Michael B Jordan and Andy Serkis, i'll give it a 5.5/10.

I'm not impressed.

Apparently the only people defending this movie are butt hurt Marvel fanboys.

Trust Rotten Tomatoes at your own peril. grin

Not only is Black Panther rated higher than Infinity War, it is also rated higher than the legendary Dark Knight. grin

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:37pm On May 05, 2018
oyetpel:

Lupita was the one that used fake accent pass.

She started with a bad African accent in sambisa, after that it was gburururu... fast English.

What I meant by "with the exception of Lupita Nyngo'o" was, she's probably the only actress there that have had stints in African movies (she started out in nollywood as an amateur but got people's attention with her role in Shuga, an African series). Others like Chadwick and his sister, including Micheal B Jordan are just making their forays into African acts hence their difficulties in speaking African styled languages. Whittaker is not new into African acts because he acted as Idi Amin in of his past movies.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:38pm On May 05, 2018
ibkayee:
I agree
You dey watch movies? I see you more as a bookworm. grin tongue
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ibkayee(f): 10:43pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

You dey watch movies? I see you more as a bookworm. grin tongue
Haha really? cheesy

I don't watch movies often tbh, specifically sought out to watch Black Panther though for the reasons you mentioned earlier and I enjoyed it
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:44pm On May 05, 2018
BlackManta:

Trust Rotten Tomatoes at your own peril. grin

Not only is Black Panther rated higher than Infinity War, it is also rated higher than the legendary Dark Knight. grin

On the flip side, the audience rated Infinity War higher than Black Panther. So that counts for something. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:48pm On May 05, 2018
ibkayee:

Haha really? cheesy

I don't watch movies often tbh, specifically sought out to watch Black Panther though for the reasons you mentioned earlier and I enjoyed it

Yes, really? cheesy

I used to picture you, from the few times I've read your posts on certain threads, as a nerdy computer geek who lies down on her bed all day when she's not on the move, listening to songs (I think you love music a whole lot), and not much of an outdoor person. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ibkayee(f): 10:58pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

Yes, really? cheesy

I used to picture you, from the few times I've read your posts on certain threads, as a nerdy computer geek who lies down on her bed all day when she's not on the move, listening to songs (I think you love music a whole lot), and not much of an outdoor person. grin
Lol I work in a sector that's tagged as geeky but I wouldn't say I was, lol if that makes any sense, but I get cheesy

You're right about me loving music, lying on my bed and not being much of an outdoor person grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IHate9jerianss(m): 10:59pm On May 05, 2018
toluxe0075:

He seems to have watched that movie with emotions. Oh!! This is an oyinbo movie showcasing the African culture, let me just overlook the nollywood-like storyline, at least it's showcasing the Africa culture grin
The film depicted African culture to a GLOBAL AUDIENCE in a POSITIVE LIGHT.
Remember how we are supposed to be a Shi.thole people from a Shi.thole continent yes?A people without a history until Europeans set foot on Africa No?
Black Panther is a SUCKER PUNCH to every supremicist out there in the world.
By the way the movie had a black director,two black writers and one of the producers out of the four was black

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 10:59pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

What I meant by "with the exception of Lupita Nyngo'o" was, she's probably the only actress there that have had stints in African movies (she started out in nollywood as an amateur but got people's attention with her role in Shuga, an African series). Others like Chadwick and his sister, including Micheal B Jordan are just making their forays into African acts hence their difficulties in speaking African styled languages. Whittaker is not new into African acts because he acted as Idi Amin in of his past movies.

Ok, good.
Since you know that about Whittaker, why did you said they should have casted Edochie instead of him?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 11:03pm On May 05, 2018
toluxe0075:

It's not nollywood storyline.

The storyline might be a cliche, but that's because we have seen so many movies.

What's in Infinite war too?

We all know that all the Avengers are coming back, its like they split the movie into two.

I laughed when some people keep hailing Thanos, watch Part 2 and see how he will be useless.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:05pm On May 05, 2018
ibkayee:

Lol I work in sector that's tagged as geeky but I wouldn't say I was, lol if that makes any sense, but I get cheesy

You're right about me loving music, lying on my bed and not being much of an outdoor person grin

I guess I'm seer. grin

No mind me, I'm no seer, more like a conclusion from the snippets of some of your posts I've read over time.

You know who's behind this moniker, right? I think you do, but if you don't, here's a clue.

I'm the one that told you sometime last year to redact your posts about a certain someone from a popular thread to avoid people tracing her to original moniker to protect her privacy back then. lipsrsealed

Now you know, keep mum and act not surprised. grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SAMBHOSS(m): 11:05pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

The guy na confirm natural spoiler. grin

hahahaha....grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:10pm On May 05, 2018
oyetpel:

Ok, good.
Since you know that about Whittaker, why did you said they should have casted Edochie instead of him?

Whittaker is good actor, don't get me wrong, but as an African priest, Edochie would have killed that part flawlessly. Imagine his deep baritone voice, his elderly features, white hairs, words of wisdom and gait, there's no how Whittaker will outclass Pete in that particular role. That's like a natural habitat for Pete. And Pete is fluent, and acts well too, so no limitations.

Plus I feel with a bit of touch from African actors, Africans would've loved the film more deeply as one of our own. My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ibkayee(f): 11:10pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

I guess I'm seer. grin

No mind me, I'm no seer, more like a conclusion from the snippets of some of your posts I've read over time.

You know who's behind this moniker, right? I think you do, but if you don't, here's a clue.

I'm the one that told you sometime last year to redact your posts about a certain someone from a popular thread to avoid people tracing her to original moniker to protect her privacy back then. lipsrsealed

grin

I had a feeling I'd interacted with you before but under a different monicker, but I didn't know which

My memory is genuinely really bad o, I can't remember embarassed

Give me another clue tongue
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SAMBHOSS(m): 11:11pm On May 05, 2018
this one that black panther is causing wahala...grin

it was good for me sha...grin....but the storyline.... predictable asf.....

but you guys know....that the movie still grossed seriously.....grin

infinity war has grossed $974m under 2 weeks..

who else sees this passing world record holding Avatargrin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:12pm On May 05, 2018
oyetpel:

It's not nollywood storyline.

The storyline might be a cliche, but that's because we have seen so many movies.

What's in Infinite war too?

We all know that all the Avengers are coming back, its like they split the movie into two.

I laughed when some people keep hailing Thanos, watch Part 2 and see how he will be useless.

True. Most movies can easily be predicted because of years of watching various storyline.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:13pm On May 05, 2018
ibkayee:

I had a feeling I'd interacted with you before but under a different monicker, but I didn't know which

My memory is genuinely really bad o, I can't remember embarassed

Give me another clue tongue

What made you had that feeling. Like my E-behaviour or particular post of mine? Tell me and I'll give you another clue. tongue
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 11:51pm On May 05, 2018
Beorn:

I guess I'm seer. grin

Hey just ask her out on a date already instead of all these secondary school scoping tongue grin

Oya, PM tinz so that we can see road. grin

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:57pm On May 05, 2018
Ishilove:

Hey just ask her out on a date already instead of all these secondary school scoping tongue grin

Oya, PM tinz so that we can see road. grin

LOL. I saw this kinda post coming once our convo started. cheesy

Ishilove, you too love aproko, why? Ibk is hooked up already, no amount of PMs will put asunder. Oya, come let's go back to reading scandals on the Siena thread. Make we no derail this thread. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 12:25am On May 06, 2018
Finally finished watching Black Panther.

There is a saying in my place: Don't look too closely at the anus, otherwise you will see a lot of rubbish. grin

That said, I will not come down too hard at the movie for the simple reason that for once, Africa is not depicted as a starving, corruption ridden continent at war with itself. Like someone pointed out, it is movie that gives a middle finger to racists like that Professor Hugh Trevor-Roper, who infamously described African history as 'darkness'- the "...unrewarding gyrations of barbarous tribes in picturesque but irrelevant corners of the globe..."

This is a Hollywood production, and the past years have seen producers doffing their hats to minorities in productions Coco that saw an all Latino cast for the first time ever, and Black Panther is one of these bold forays into uncharted Hollywood territory.

While it is flawed in many aspects (let's not even go there), the saving grace of the movie is the depiction of Africa and Africans, although it is even faulty in that aspect. Seriously, most African societies have a system of checks and balances that can prevent even the most autocratic leaders from completely destroying age old traditions. Even if he succeeds, it can't be done overnight. A stranger cannot ascend the throne and in a blink of an eye destroy a kingmaking practice that has been on ground for centuries. The movie producers got it wrong there.

Be that as it may, I love the music and some of the action sequences. The acting is average and the gaddem fake accents distracted me from the dialogue, but I simply enjoyed feasting my eyes on that eye candy, Chad Bosewick. Chocolate! Meooooow wink grin

My favourite line in the movie is..."don't scare me so much, colonizer!" cheesy

7/10 is my verdict, and I'm sticking to it angry

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 12:28am On May 06, 2018
Beorn:

LOL. I saw this kinda post coming once our convo started. cheesy

Ishilove, you too love aproko, why? Ibk is hooked up already, no amount of PMs will put asunder. Oya, come let's go back to reading scandals on the Siena thread. Make we no derail this thread. grin
Oh, so why act all lovey dovey? Trying to make us jealous? tongue

I'm on Siena's thread like a monitor spirit wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) ... (3864) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Saturnalia(m), mosho2good and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.