Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,693 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? (18361 Views)

Premium Quality Stainless Steel Hand Railings / Stainless Steel Handrails & Protectors (08068966121, 08091701522) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Sammiejo: 9:13pm On Dec 10, 2013
Hello NL,

A client of mine has asked me which is better in terms of durablity and maintenance.

I think Stainless steel is better. Builders in the house, what do you think?
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by waleadex(m): 10:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
Stainless steel is better because of its improved metallic properties in terms of durability,expansivity etc.
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by endtimesigns(m): 5:57pm On Dec 11, 2013
2nd to komment.....

ASUU is now turning to ALUU now. They don't mind killing and destroying.

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 11, 2013
Me think plastic is better wink #gerrit ?

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by lurvy: 5:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by nairaman66(m): 5:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
Stainless steel is better because of its improved metallic properties in terms of durability,expansivity etc.

Also not prone to RUST- The formation of Iron 3 grin
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by DICKtator: 5:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
Iron would rust. Stainless wouldn't

Or are you talking in metaphors?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Kingtim(m): 6:02pm On Dec 11, 2013
nairaman66:

H
endtime_signs: W
Just when i taght i would be first to comment.. I saw this two fresh wereys

4 Likes

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Rexphobia(m): 6:03pm On Dec 11, 2013
how do i know?

Steel -- this material basically IS iron, but with some other stuff mixed in to make it stronger, more rust-resistant, etc.

IRON is the basic element of steel. Many kinds of steel exist and the names may change as the molecular composition is altered. Adding chromium to iron will yield stainless steel. The study of these metallic compounds is called Metalurgy.
Source(s):
Licensed CA smog inspector.

Depends on your measure of strength (tensile, compressive etc) and the types of iron or steel you are comparing, but generally steel is stronger.
Did you mean pig iron, wrought iron or cast iron, did you mean mild steel, tool steel, Jethete or bearing steel

The only really difference between the two is that steel has a controlled quantity of carbon (and other alloying elements) in it, so that its properties are predictable.

In very general terms, steel is "stronger" than Iron.

"Strength" has several meanings when considering metals. For example, there is the amount of force needed to bend a metal sample of a particular thickness. Another measure of strength involves the amount of force needed to pull a metal sample apart.

Iron is mostly composed of an element by the same name. An element is a substance whose atoms are all identical. "Pig iron" and "wrought iron" are two kinds of iron alloys which are mostly pure iron. They are relatively soft and easy to bend, hence pig iron is "wrought" and used architecturally. The best example is in New Orleans whose ornate balconies have wrought iron railings. The disadvantage of wrought iron is that it rusts very easily and has to be coated with paint or galvanized with a Zinc coating.

Steel is an Iron alloy low in carbon and with other metals added like Nickel, Chromium, vanadium and even Phosphorus. All these extra elements give the steel particular characteristics suited to its intended use. "Stainless" steel has Chromium added which inhibits rust. Nickel can make steel more ductile and able to be rolled and pressed.

However, there is a trade off between strength and ductility. As the hardness of steel increases, so does its brittleness. European sword makers learned this by trial and error. The hardest steel had an extremely sharp edge but was likely to shatter if it hit a hard object such as rock. Meanwhile the Japaneese learned how to make swords using two types of steel. The core was soft, high carbon steel. The forger then wrapped the steel ingot with a shell of hard, low carbon steel. This went on to the sword-smith, who then slowly fashioned a steel blade, and finally to the polisher who honed the blade to be razor sharp. These were the swords of the Samarui and could cut very efficiently because of their sharp blades, but resist shattering because the core was soft enough to absorb impacts without shattering.

source sauce: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090115105343AAWI8P3

9 Likes

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 11, 2013
Use wood
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 11, 2013
Ola def2: Me think plastic is better wink #gerrit ?
seconded

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by nanizle(m): 6:04pm On Dec 11, 2013
They are both excellent for railings.

The question is more about personal taste.

Iron (or more correctly "steel"wink can be painted to your desired colour and wrought iron can be worked to fancy designs while stainless steel is used because of its unique silvery appearance.

I believe its best to combine both. Stainless steel for the hand rail while iron for the rest of the structure.

Simple yet aesthetically pleasing railings that require very little maintenance can be easily achieved with 100% stainless steel. Wrought iron can be used to achieve much more intricate and visually appealing designs It requires slightly more maintenance (painting).

They are both durable.

2 Likes

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 11, 2013
wink wink cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
endtime_signs: 2nd to komment.....

grin
endtime_signs: 2nd to komment.....

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by solowork: 6:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
stainless iron

4 Likes

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by endtimesigns(m): 6:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
Starbank: wink wink cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin

Y quoting me....... Am I the first

Kingtim: Just when i taght i would be first to comment.. I saw this two fresh wereys

Go and learn how to type fast bro

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by trisurface: 6:22pm On Dec 11, 2013
both have merits.
Iron(steel) is cheaper to acquire, work on, maintain.
u have more varieties-rods/hollow pipe/flat bar- etc
U can paint and decorate to ur hearts content.

stainless steel has a reflective look, matching modern spartan architecture.
expensive to acquire, work on and needs high skill level to use.
performs poorly in areas with salt spray or chemical action.

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Webbyguy(m): 6:32pm On Dec 11, 2013
@OP with my knowledge about stainless steel railings, it's the best option.

Stainless steel railings are more classy, strong and durable than iron.

You should also go for high quality stainless steel railings because the ones of low quality will rust while the one of high quality won't.

There are also those for indoor areas and those for outdoor areas(
highly populated environment), you should use the appropriate one for your project.

So, you can go for stainless steel railings

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 6:33pm On Dec 11, 2013
Depends on the area,I would advice U to stick to Iron as U can temper them but steel has to be forged
Stainless steel cant B painted but iron can
So to the above situation U would av to paint ur hse to compliment the steel..
Lastly someone said iron contains more carbon wrong,adding carbon to rot iron creates cast iron.

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by mutaalim(m): 6:35pm On Dec 11, 2013
stainless steel is an alloy, when you talk of durability, it last longer and more expensive than iron even its resistant
Regards

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 6:35pm On Dec 11, 2013
Webbyguy: @OP with my knowledge about stainless steel railings, it's the best option.

Stainless steel railings are more classy, strong and durable than iron.

You should also go for high quality stainless steel railings because the ones of low quality will rust while the one of high quality won't.

There are also those for indoor areas and those for outdoor areas(
highly populated environment), you should use the appropriate one for your project.

So, you can go for stainless steel railings
How do U intend to bend steel?
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 6:37pm On Dec 11, 2013
mutaalim: stainless
Regards
Fair anough, let me ask,if U knw what steel is
And if U do how can U bend it?
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Dannylux: 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2013
Ababio Chemistry would be pissed at you for asking this ridiculous question.

I think your question has been answered already from the comments above.
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by mutaalim(m): 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2013
erico2k2:
Fair anough, let me ask,if U knw what steel is
And if U do how can U bend it?
mutaalim: stainless steel is an alloy, when you talk of durability, it last longer and more expensive than iron even its resistant
Regards

A hard strong grey alloy of iron with carbon and usually other elements.
Hope I have answered your question ?
Regards
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by GentleFrank(m): 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2013
It all depends on the nature of the structure in question.
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 6:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
mutaalim:

A hard strong grey alloy of iron with carbon and usually other elements.
Hope I have answered your question ?
Regards
Bro there aint no chemical compound called stainless steel rather a street name for polished steel ,anyway U aint answered my question,how do U bend it to work with?
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 7:02pm On Dec 11, 2013
Dannylux: Ababio Chemistry would be pissed at you for asking this ridiculous question.

I think your question has been answered already from the comments above.
Easy nt everybody did chemistry at sec sch.

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by kubi240: 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2013
Ola def2: Me think plastic is better wink #gerrit ?
muzu
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by mutaalim(m): 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2013
erico2k2:
Bro there aint no chemical compound called stainless steel rather a street name for polished steel ,anyway U aint answered my question,how do U bend it to work with?
other elements are chromium and nickel.
you can bend it with PRESS BRAKE or BENDING MACHINE as simple as that.

Regards
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by Webbyguy(m): 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2013
erico2k2:
How do U intend to bend steel?

@ erico2k2 There are tools you can use for bending stainless steel railings as the railings are bend-able. Stainless steel railings are being already being used for spiral staircase in Nigeria now.

Contact a good railing company to help you with bending the railings and they will do a good job for you.

I can refer you to a good railing company in Nigeria, if you want.
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2013
mutaalim:
other elements are chromium and nickel.
you can bend it with PRESS BRAKE or BENDING MACHINE as simple as that.

Regards
Now U are guessing,U cant bend steel,them chemical composition U jst described up there is ref to as Alloys in metals n compounds in flueds and liquids,Steel dnt bend in any of those methods U mentioned if nt ur coily spring in ur car would go flat,however to bend steel requires xtreem heat which the welder dnt have and the option to shape it is very limited to casting n moulding.I did WAEC 1992 and I still remember lol
Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 7:25pm On Dec 11, 2013
Webbyguy:

@ erico2k2 There are tools you can use for bending stainless steel railings as the railings are bend-able. Stainless steel railings are being already being used for spiral staircase in Nigeria now.

Contact a good railing company to help you with bending the railings and they will do a good job for you.

Brove those are polished iron sold as steel dnt B decieved,let me give U an example,would U say milk cup stainless?

1 Like

Re: Stainless Steel Or Iron Which Is Best For Railings? by erico2k2(m): 7:31pm On Dec 11, 2013
Webbyguy:

I am enjoying this name one tool plz.

Im enjoying this,plz name one tool u bend steel with

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Building Collapses In Lagos, 2 Brothers, Baby Feared Dead / President Jonathan Commissions 324 Housing Units In Elim Estate, Enugu / Architectural Designs And Problems That May Occur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.