Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

For I Tell You That Unless Your Righteousness Surpasses That Of The Pharisees. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / For I Tell You That Unless Your Righteousness Surpasses That Of The Pharisees. (1010 Views)

What They Won't Tell You At The Abortion Clinic. / Jesus, The Measure Of Your Righteousness - Joseph Prince / List Of Nairaland Pharisees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For I Tell You That Unless Your Righteousness Surpasses That Of The Pharisees. by huxley(m): 10:31pm On Jul 28, 2008
And The Teachers Of The Law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5.

Are you more righteous that the Pharisees and the teachers of the law? If not, what are your chances of entering into heaven.

The Pharisees were extremely exacting sticklers for the laws, and Jesus wants his follows to be even more observant of the law than the Pharisees. Matthew 5: 20.

What Laws is Jesus talking about, given that at the time of this pronouncement there was no New testament?

Could he have had this in mind - Exodus 21: 17, "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." ?

How often do you hear Matthew 5: 17 - 20 preached in your churches?
Re: For I Tell You That Unless Your Righteousness Surpasses That Of The Pharisees. by GODLOVES1: 11:21am On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

And The Teachers Of The Law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5.

Are you more righteous that the Pharisees and the teachers of the law? If not, what are your chances of entering into heaven.

The Pharisees were extremely exacting sticklers for the laws, and Jesus wants his follows to be even more observant of the law than the Pharisees. Matthew 5: 20.

What Laws is Jesus talking about, given that at the time of this pronouncement there was no New testament?

Could he have had this in mind - Exodus 21: 17, "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." ?

How often do you hear Matthew 5: 17 - 20 preached in your churches?

To tell you the truth I have heard my Father preach on this a couple times.
Just to start, it really is not that hard to fallow the commandments there are only two,
"Matthew 22:37
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
Verse 39
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself
Verse 40
On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

But that aside, to answer your question, yes we can be more righteous then the Scribes.
1.John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he(God)is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleans us from ALL unrighteousness.

So according to this, when we bring our sins before God, then we will be cleansed from ALL, I repeat ALL unrighteousness.

So I only need to know the law and bring my sins before God and then I will be more righteous then the Pharisees and the teachers of the law.
( hey I'm not saying I'm better the someone, just stating what the Bible tells me)

(1) (Reply)

What Should I Do, I Need More Advice / vvvvfgf / The Altar(the Cross) Governs Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.