Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Get Your Website Reviewed Here - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Get Your Website Reviewed Here (6012 Views)

Get Unlimited Traffic From Facebook Now. (method Reviewed) / Urgent! I Need My Site Reviewed And Critiqued: https://birdszoo.com/ / Urgent! I Need My Site Reviewed And Critiqued: Talkofnaija.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by Gamine(f): 2:52pm On Aug 05, 2008
LOL. grin tongue

i dont build all the sites myself, i am the Director here.

im currently designing a new inteface for the site and we need to add some new features.

and make the site more interactive.

Thanks for the advice, but you really didnt talk about the structure, ease of use, the links and all
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by yawatide(f): 5:33pm On Aug 05, 2008
the structure is good but I don't find the site that easy to navigate. It would be nice if I knew what to expect up front instead of having to click deeper and deeper b4 finding out on my own. Again, pictures would help as well.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by Gamine(f): 5:35pm On Aug 05, 2008
I feel ya!!

thanks Lady! smiley smiley
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by danteweb: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2008
@Gamine, I think the palms site is pretty promising, but u guys seem to have missed the plot with the home page.

Even though the home page looks a bit friendly and has cool colours, the arrangement seems a bit out of place. It might be quite late now to make major changes, but it pays to always make a sketch on paper before designing on the computer. Nice choice of colours though.

A way out would be to have two distinct columns. The left column (wider) can contain the usual info, then the row to the right can house the news and the tower flash animation. I think you should give the 'shopping experience' picture - to steal into yawatide's lingo - a clearly defined border.

@yawa, that debate on tables/css will continue.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by yawatide(f): 6:04pm On Aug 05, 2008
@dante,

Unless u sign in under differing names, I didn't know I was debating that issue with you. Regardless, when you are ready, you know where to find me. Just set the tone of the debate (what exactly you want to debate, etc) and state ur case) cool
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by danteweb: 7:00pm On Aug 05, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

@dante,

Unless u sign in under differing names, I didn't know I was debating that issue with you.

I don't quite know where u're coming from. Anyways i'm not one of u jobless (no offence) peeps that sleep and wake up on nairaland.

Anyways going to the matter of the day, your arguments towards table-less designs are valid, but you make it sound like designing with tables is a sin.

You probably want to ask about the load times for tables, but you and I know that tables only "seem" to load longer because none of the stuff in a table will be displayed until all the contents of that table are downloaded. This results in tables displaying all at once. In CSS, individual materials load and display one after the other!

Accessibility - How many visually impaired people use the internet

Maintenance - well i've got dreamweaver!

In conclusion, CSS is better, but I don't believe tables are bad!
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by yawatide(f): 7:40pm On Aug 05, 2008
not so fast danteweb. No ad hominem attacks please. If you go through the posts from #1, you will note that abidemi and I had, at least in my opinion, said all that needed to be said on the issue. The reason y i brought up the "using differing names" is because I had totally forgotten about this and it was my way of being sarcastic. I guess you didn't catch it. i won't apologize for that. Now, to parse your statements one after the other:

I don't quite know where u're coming from. Anyways i'm not one of u jobless (no offence) peeps that sleep and wake up on nairaland.
I don't eat and sleep it either. I am here to learn which is why I log on frequently. Having said that, enough of the ad hominem attacks. Let's LEARN something.

Anyways going to the matter of the day, your arguments towards table-less designs are valid, but you make it sound like designing with tables is a sin.
I wouldn't call it a sin but bad practice. By the way, I am not the one saying it is bad. There are those way smarter than us who are advocating this and it makes sense (in other words, I won't just do something because someone says so. I have to verify for myself). I have analyzed hard data of sites with and without tables and recorded the differences in page size, download size and bandwidth. I even once worked for a company that saved tens of thousands of dollars in bandwidth alone moving from tables to DIVs. In other words, I am not one of those who googles for information, reads it, calls myself a guru and starts preaching to the choir. I say what I say based on verifiable facts not emotions. Finally, if you read my posts again, please note that I say that tables are a necessary evil for tabular data.

You probably want to ask about the load times for tables, but you and I know that tables only "seem" to load longer because none of the stuff in a table will be displayed until all the contents of that table are downloaded. This results in tables displaying all at once. In CSS, individual materials load and display one after the other!
I honestly don't know where you are going here but I will attempt to answer: which has the least number of bytes (for non-tabular data)?
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td>bla</td><td>bla bla</td></tr></table>
OR
<div id="container"><div="left-col">bla</div><div id="right-col">bla bla</div></div> (of course, css would take care of the presentation.
Moreover, imagine several nested tables.

I have no idea, however I will say that I have worked for companies that take accessibility seriously because if they don't they stand to be (and have been) sued for developing sites that the deaf, dumb and blind can't use. In the states, such lawsuits can run into the millions. Sure, it might not be a big deal in Nigeria presently, but we are developing. It is better to code on the concept of progressive enhancement/graceful degradation than code on, "i don collect my money, na una business now or una come hire me again" principles.

and i've got homesite/note pad. woopty-doo. no big deal. Would you rather maintain code simply because you have dreamweaver or not maintain at all. i would choose the latter.

I agree with the former. and yes, tables are bad if abused. Using it for layout is definitely a case of abuse.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by uspry1(f): 9:56pm On Aug 05, 2008
danteweb:

@danteweb and yawa-ti-de

Let me answer this web accessibility question: How many visually impaired people use the internet?

Both in US and UK under Federal or Government agencies are required using accessibility for visually impaired and hearing impaired PC users--- roughly 5 to 10 millions blind people in the USA and Europe/India/China use the internet.

Blind people use the internet by connecting a screen reader. A screen reader is a voice software that looks at the computer code making up the page and reads this out to the blind user. It allows to move around the page by tabbing to Headings, paragraphs, links, etc.

For anyone who is completely blind, the Internet is a God Send. It gives them back their independence and allows them to shop, find information, read e-books etc. without a helper to make sure they don't get lost.

In the UK and many other countries there is now a legal requirement for all business web sites to be accessible to Screen Reader users as well as people with other disabilities.

By the way, you probably are not aware the fact that i, myself, am hearing impaired (deaf) web designer/developer. I am strongly familiar with the American with the Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), a civil rights for disabled people (deaf, blind, wheelchair, crippled, etc) to protect them against discrimination on job, housing, transportation, and public places.

The sad part that all of webmasters/web developers (in USA, Europe, and other countries) are violated with disability/accessibilty law to provide hearing impaired (deaf) PC users the closed captioned"CC" on all video files and written transcripts on all audio files. They(webmaster/developers) do not understand what deaf people complain about the lacking of captioned video files/audio transcripts deaf people need for 15 YEARS. It has not solved anyway.

You see every Windows OS and Linux OS provide accessibility for blind and deaf pc users since US American with the Disabilities Act law went effective on July 1990 with the US President George Bush Senior signed.

I maintan both Dreamweaver and HTML-Kit using CSS coding much easier plus CSS validator too!
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by danteweb: 10:45am On Aug 06, 2008
you know what u are right and i'm wrong!
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by yommys01(m): 10:58am On Aug 06, 2008
can some one here review my football forum http://soccerfanbase.com and let me know how good or bad it is plus you can also join the forum and help make it bigger.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by yawatide(f): 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2008
danteweb,

Honestly, for me it isn't about whoz right and whoz wrong but about learning something. For all you know, I could have been wrong in which case I was expecting you to educate me. That is what I thought you meant by "debate". Oh well.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by phanerus: 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2008
Here is an online community for IT people. http://www.infodam.com

Some of the benefits of being a member of infodam.com

1. Referrals based on skill and competence.

2. Employment from establishments needing IT personnel eg programmers, network engineers, DBAs, system administrators etc.

3. Meet people and build your connection and contact list.

4. Access to online tutorials, videos, podcasts and e books.

5. Update on upcomming tech events in your locality.

6. Links to IT resource on the web.

7. Join a group or create one

8. Advertise in the classifieds directory

9. Upload your photos, create your blogs and participate in the online forum threads.

10. MP3 and Video gallery.

with a whole lot more,

Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by quickygal(f): 3:00pm On Aug 07, 2008
, ko soro grin
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by denobleman(m): 8:02pm On Aug 10, 2008
Ok quys please review and critique this one http://www.free-trafficsecrets.com

Thanks
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by Gamine(f): 1:38pm On Aug 12, 2008
Review this sharply
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by hanen(f): 3:04pm On Aug 12, 2008
Gamine:

Review this sharply

http://www.itsihost.com/test/itsi/itsi2.htm

i dunno, its just there, really. Nothing really memorable, to be honest. smiley But I have some suggestions.

The text is way too small, and the navigation links are too close together, like they're scared of fillinf up the space.
Maybe you'd want to add a livelier image to the page??! The blue/grey/faded thing, is very bland.

You might also want to set the margin to 0 so the top of the site actually touches the top of the page.

Another suggestion: How's about turning those boxes around so they lie side by side? I mean, it's a novel idea what you have now, but you've got a lot of empty space that those wavy lines aren't doing much to hide, especially as there's already so much white going on. And speaking of those boxes, the Portfolio, Servicees etc titles are practicaly spilling out of the edge of their containers, Padding, m'dear, padding. Or make the boxes bigger, whichever.

um, that is all.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by Gamine(f): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2008
hahahaha

ok, thanks
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by kheme(m): 10:29am On Aug 15, 2008
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by kokorunna(m): 5:45pm On Sep 19, 2008
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by kheme(m): 4:37pm On Sep 20, 2008
www(dot)htmlonline(dot)tk
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by chessguru(m): 9:01pm On Oct 01, 2008
check out this NIGERIAN LAW RESOURSES WEB SITE FOR BOTH LAWYERS AND NON LAWYERS, www.justicenigeris.com
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by yawatide(f): 10:57pm On Oct 01, 2008
@chessguru

Didnt u mean justicenigeriA (as opposed to justicenigeriS).com?

just curious
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by bug24(m): 3:50pm On Oct 02, 2008
Thats what happens when fingers becomes faster than the computer itself.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by kehers(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2008
@chessmaster
Got ds error from ur site justicenigeria.com

Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/justicem/public_html/Sources/Security.php
Line: 279
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by deltree(m): 5:20pm On Oct 02, 2008
Hey Guyz, i just found this thread today. I just deployed a beta version of my website. Pls review and give me your thots.
It's www.in10city.net
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by bug24(m): 6:07pm On Oct 02, 2008
Yeah!!! tight job, good interactivity (hope thats a gud grama)
but whats the site about?
there's no link to anywhere.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by deltree(m): 7:12am On Oct 06, 2008
R u joking me? There's links everywhere. Click on the enter arrow after the intro and u're in.
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by deltree(m): 2:11pm On Oct 10, 2008
does anyone still check this thread? angry
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by otoidea(m): 1:55pm On Oct 14, 2008
well said yawa . esp the BG.

you might be surprised how much different/neater the site would look if the white margins are removed.

nice 1 sha. @thepalms website
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by allboyz(m): 3:05pm On Oct 14, 2008
I need a website for a company, how do you i get about that
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by Gamine(f): 3:27pm On Oct 19, 2008
Yay!

A site i finally like.

I like that INTENSITY site o

abi na IN10City

NICE ONE!
Re: Get Your Website Reviewed Here by otoidea(m): 12:44pm On Oct 23, 2008
this reviewin sumthin has been helpin other pple get their stuff better. let it reash my turn too o

abeg help me look http://2digitsweb.com/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Website Design Course In Niit. What Hope Do I Have For A First Class Lectures? / Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? / Sunnewsonline.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.