Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,627 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ (703 Views)

Be Ready To Jail 5000 Pastors, CAN Tells El-rufai / Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / Buhari Must Not Near Aso Rock For Now; Fayose Will Go To Jail- Prophet Tibetan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 12:26pm On Dec 13, 2013
Baker says he’d rather go to jail after judge orders him to bake cakes for gay ‘weddings’

by Kirsten Andersen

⁠
Wed Dec 11, 2013 15:47 EST

DENVER, December 11, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A Denver cake baker who was ordered by a judge last week to service same-sex “weddings” or face punishing fines has told Fox News that he would rather shut down his business and serve jail time than violate his beliefs and play a role in facilitating gay nuptials.

In an interview with Fox’s Elisabeth Hasselbeck, cake maker Jack Phillips said, “You know, [I’ll serve jail time if] that’s what it takes.  It’s not like I have chosen this team or that team. This is who I am, it’s what I believe.”

“Does becoming a business owner mean you have to check your convictions at the door?” Hasselbeck asked. “Why is it important for you to have a business and not have to abandon personal religious beliefs just to make a buck?”

“I don't plan on giving up my religious beliefs ... I don't feel that I should participate in their wedding, and when I do a cake, I feel like I'm participating in the ceremony or the event or the celebration that the cake is for,” Phillips said. “My priorities would be towards my faith rather than towards my safety or security.”

Phillips, who owns Masterpiece Cakeshop in the Denver suburb of Lakewood, has been under fire since July 2012, when David Mullins and Charlie Craig filed a discrimination complaint after Phillips refused to sell them a wedding cake. 

While Colorado’s constitution states, “Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as marriage in this state,” Mullins and Craig had nonetheless planned to “marry” in Massachusetts, where a court order made same-sex “marriage” legal in 2004.  Afterward, they planned to hold a reception in Colorado.  When they visited Phillips’ cake shop to ask him to provide a wedding cake for the event, he declined, explaining that his religious beliefs prevented him from participating in same-sex “weddings.”  Phillips said he would be happy to sell them brownies or other treats to serve at the reception, just not a wedding cake.

The two men reacted with angry disbelief.  “It was the most awkward, surreal, very brief encounter," Mullins told Denver Westword at the time. “We got up to leave, and to be totally honest, I said, ‘F--- you and your homophobic cake shop.’ And I may or may not have flipped him off.”

After the two men departed Phillips’s business, they filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission with the help of the ACLU, arguing that Phillips violated the state’s anti-discrimination laws, which were expanded in 2008 to include sexual preference and gender identity.

Phillips and his lawyers have argued that the religious nature of his objection to gay “marriage” warrants an exception to the anti-discrimination law, which also names religion among its protected classes.  

But on December 7, Judge Robert Spencer ruled in the gay couple’s favor, equating Phillips’s deeply held religious beliefs against gay “marriage” with racial bias.  To allow Phillips to refuse to serve gay “weddings,” the judge argued, “would allow a business that served all races to nonetheless refuse to serve an interracial couple because of the business owner's bias against interracial marriage.”

Wrote Spencer, “it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses. This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are.”

The judge also rejected Phillips’s argument that he was simply obeying the state constitution by refusing to recognize a same-sex relationship as “marriage.”

“Although [Phillips and his lawyers] are correct that Colorado does not recognize same-sex marriage,” wrote Spencer, “that fact does not excuse discrimination based upon sexual orientation.”

Phillips’s attorney, Nicolle Martin, told the Associated Press that Spencer’s decision was “reprehensible” and “antithetical to everything America stands for.”

“[Jack Phillips] can't violate his conscience in order to collect a paycheck,” Martin said. “If Jack can't make wedding cakes, he can't continue to support his family. And in order to make wedding cakes, Jack must violate his belief system.”

Martin says her client has not ruled out an appeal.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/baker-says-hed-rather-go-to-jail-after-judge-orders-him-to-bake-cakes-for-g
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2013
This man is a true christian. A hero. Not a lukewarm or a kindergarten christian who compromises. The government has outlawed prayers and preaching in public places, as if not enough, they want to force christians to participates in pagan and devilish rites. This is real persecution.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by ofisa247(m): 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2013
Jail ke? Those *ssholes would fvck him deaf
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Kay17: 12:43pm On Dec 13, 2013
I'm for greater individual rights against public interests. I don't support the decision, because it is punitive against conscientious rights.

@elampiro

Don't you think it was unChristian for the baker to act prejudicially against NON-christians?!
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 12:49pm On Dec 13, 2013
Kay 17: I'm for greater individual rights against public interests. I don't support the decision, because it is punitive against conscientious rights.

@elampiro

Don't you think it was unChristian for the baker to act prejudicially against NON-christians?!

No. Sodomy is a grievous sin against God. A true christian wouldn't participate in abortion, sodomy and pagan rituals.

Some sins are a direct rebellion against God's laws. Every christian knew what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah. If I sell scissors and you come and tell me to sell my products to you to carry out an abortion, I will not sell. If I sell I would have been part of your murder of the unborn consciously..
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Harmvirus(f): 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro: This man is a true christian. A hero. Not a lukewarm or a kindergarten christian who compromises. The government has outlaw prayers and preaching in public places, as if not enough, they want to force christians to participates in pagan and devilish rites. This is real persecution.
Gbam!!
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 1:07pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro: This man is a true christian. A hero. Not a lukewarm or a kindergarten christian who compromises. The government has outlaw prayers and preaching in public places, as if not enough, they want to force christians to participates in pagan and devilish rites. This is real persecution.

During segregation in America, Most of the people in favor of it also went by on "personal" (or religious in some cases) beliefs. Shop owners had the right to refuse someone service just on the color of their skin and nothing more. Imagine how those people felt, being treated like outcasts and sub human. Eventually a law was passed and that era is long gone. That law is what protects the rights of minorities.

Can you please tell me what is different here? Refusing someone service only for their sexual orientation?

Drop all your religious convictions and just be "fair" for once. Our world will be a better place undecided
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Kay17: 1:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro:

No. Sodomy is a grievous sin against God. A true christian wouldn't participate in abortion, sodomy and pagan rituals.

Some sins are a direct rebellion against God's laws. Every christian knew what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah. If I sell scissors and you come and tell me to sell my products to you to carry out an abortion, I will not sell. If I sell I would have been part of your murder of the unborn consciously..

So its ok and good for a Christian to discriminate against non christians for the mere fact they don't follow Christian religious instructions?! In other words, a christian can only love a christian.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 1:31pm On Dec 13, 2013
Area_boy:

During segregation in America, Most of the people in favor of it also went by on "personal" (or religious in some cases) beliefs. Shop owners had the right to refuse someone service just on the color of their skin and nothing more. Imagine how those people felt, being treated like outcasts and sub human. Eventually a law was passed and that era is long gone. That law is what protects the rights of minorities.

Can you please tell me what is different here? Refusing someone service only for their sexual orientation?

Drop all your religious convictions and just be "fair" for once. Our world will be a better place undecided

The example I gave is enough. If I knew you were an abortionists, it would be against my christian believe to supply you with materials that could aid your abortion/murder. You can go to another shop.

As far the example you gave, there is a big difference. Jesus does not distinguish between Jews or Gentiles. It was never christian teaching. But Jesus said "if your right hand causes you to sin, cut. It off".

We must respect individual beliefs and faith. You cannot tell an Imam to allow pagans to use his mosque for party or for Christians to use his mosque for service.

Marriage between a man and a man, or a woman and another is unGodly and against the natural marriage law. It is provocative to call a christian to come and bake cake for such an evil.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 1:35pm On Dec 13, 2013
Kay 17:

So its ok and good for a Christian to discriminate against non christians for the mere fact they don't follow Christian religious instructions?! In other words, a christian can only love a christian.

To a christian, people who engage in homosexuality are provoking the angle of God and hell bound. To not let them know the danger of such act is like hatred towards them and their souls. To call their dead consciences to the to the magnitude of their evil act and potential loss of their souls to hell for eternity is showing mercy and love to them.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 1:38pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro:

To a christian, people who engage in homosexuality are provoking the angle of God and hell bound. To not let them know the danger of such act is like hatred towards them and their souls. To call their dead consciences to the evil acts to the evil and potential lost of their souls to hell for eternity is showing mercy and love to them.
shut up!

does the man refuse Muslims? or people of other religious background.

The moment you guys hear homosexual, you come out and start shouting anger of god.

STFU & GTFO angry
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 1:42pm On Dec 13, 2013
Area_boy:
shut up!

does the man refuse Muslims? or people of other religious background.

The moment you guys hear homosexual, you come out and start shouting anger of god.

STFU & GTFO angry

Homosexuality is a direct rebellion against God. That's the belief in the christian and muslim circle.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Kay17: 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro:

To a christian, people who engage in homosexuality are provoking the angle of God and hell bound. To not let them know the danger of such act is like hatred towards them and their souls. To call their dead consciences to the to the magnitude of their evil act and potential loss of their souls to hell for eternity is showing mercy and love to them.

^^ same also to people who do not believe Jesus is the son of God, right? Can Christianity in this light claim to be a loving religion, when the love is directed only to Christians?!
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 1:47pm On Dec 13, 2013
Kay 17:

^^ same also to people who do not believe Jesus is the son of God, right? Can Christianity in this light claim to be a loving religion, when the love is directed only to Christians?!

Don't mind the brain washed religious zombie.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 1:51pm On Dec 13, 2013
Kay 17:

As a christian, if your daughter comes to you and say "daddy pls give me money to buy condom so that I can have sex with my class mate" , will you say you love her and then give her the money even though you know she wants to commit a sin?

Homosexuality is a sin. Homosexual marriage is a mockery of God's true marriage plan for mankind. What christian will participate in such a sin. Forget all these brainwash (ill)logic being spread by illuminati men who want to destroy the world. A christian's obedience is to God first and not man's law. Homo is a man's law, satanic law.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 13, 2013
but wait 'o'! If he doesnt want to bake for you, go to another baker na! why force him! He is free to choose the occasions to bake for. 'Wetin be their own sef' This is infridgement of right. Its not fair on the baker
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Kay17: 1:58pm On Dec 13, 2013
^^
Ok. Homosexuals should be hated and discriminated against.

What about atheists, muslims and hindus? Is it right to discriminate against them?!
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 2:01pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro:

As a christian, if your daughter comes to you and say "daddy pls give me money to buy condom so that I can have sex with my class mate" , will you say you love her and then give her the money even though you know she wants to commit a sin?

Homosexuality is a sin. Homosexual marriage is a mockery of God's true marriage plan for mankind. What christian will participate in such a sin. Forget all these brainwash (ill)logic being spread by illuminati men who want to destroy the world. A christian's obedience is to God first and not man's law. Homo is a man's law, satanic law.

Don't give her the money, she goes ahead and executes her intention nonetheless and come home with a baby for you.
Use your common sense sometimes na. Haba
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 2:01pm On Dec 13, 2013
sbaks: but wait 'o'! If he doesnt want to bake for you, go to another baker na! why force him! He is free to choose the occasions to bake for. 'Wetin be their own sef' This is infridgement of right. Its not fair on the baker

Exactly!!!

A zillion likes.

Imagine, they will soon compel him to bake for a couple of a man and an animal. Remember bestiality is legalized in certain circles of USA. .... Wouldn't it be better to die than participate in such an unGodly act? Devils.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 2:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
sbaks: but wait 'o'! If he doesnt want to bake for you, go to another baker na! why force him! He is free to choose the occasions to bake for. 'Wetin be their own sef' This is infridgement of right. Its not fair on the baker

You cannot refuse someone service under those terms. The law is there for a good reason..
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 13, 2013
but wait 'o'! If he doesnt want to bake for you, go to another baker na! why force him! He is free to choose the occasions to bake for. 'Wetin be their own sef' This is infridgement of right. Its not fair on the baker. So long as he didnt lynch them then he did no wrong. He didnt even assault them. He didnt want to do it based on the conviction he has in his religion. Tell where is the freedom to worship?
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 2:04pm On Dec 13, 2013
Area_boy:

Don't give her the money, she goes ahead and executes her intention nonetheless and come home with a baby for you.
Use your common sense sometimes na. Haba

How is that my business if I had already told her fornication is a grevious sin. I will go and give thanks that I didn't participate in such a sin. Let her born na.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2013
Area_boy:

You cannot refuse someone service under those terms. The law is there for a good reason..

Devilish laws only coming up recently. They were never part of their constitution. Laws encouraging man to sleep with dogs,goats and horses.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2013
sbaks: but wait 'o'! If he doesnt want to bake for you, go to another baker na! why force him! He is free to choose the occasions to bake for. 'Wetin be their own sef' This is infridgement of right. Its not fair on the baker. So long as he didnt lynch them then he did no wrong. He didnt even assault them. He didnt want to do it based on the conviction he has in his religion. Tell where is the freedom to worship?

You dont get it do you?. Imagine you walk into a shop and someone says. We dont serve short people here, or fat, or tall, or people that eat garri or people that dont eat pork, or people that wear a veil.

How will that make you feel?
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Areaboy2(m): 2:08pm On Dec 13, 2013
elampiro:

Devilish laws only coming up recently. They were never part of their constitution. Laws encouraging man to sleep with dogs,goats and horses.

I give up on you... no hope undecided
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Kay17: 2:08pm On Dec 13, 2013
I still think the law was wrongly applied, however Christians cannot go around shouting love, portray an open loving religion and then hypocritically go round discriminating based on their club rules!

Some people will remain homosexuals and its their choice and some have religions that are compatible with it or might not be Christians at all! So why bother them?!

1 Like

Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2013
Area_boy:

You dont get it do you?. Imagine you walk into a shop and someone says. We dont serve short people here, or fat, or tall, or people that eat garri or people that dont eat pork, or people that wear a veil.

That is not the situation. They are not the same.

I have a muslim gate man. Despite he being my employee, I know my. Boundary with him. I don't expect him to be at my gate in the afternoon of Fridays when he should be at the mosque. When he is praying in my car park, I don't walk past his front because it offends his religious beliefs. Etc etc. Etc

I am logging out now. Till night.
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 13, 2013
Area_boy:

as long as that is not the only shop what i think is expected to come out of my mouth is 'na una sabi mtscheeeeeeeew' *going to the next shop that probably hasn't gotten customers for a long time*
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by Nobody: 2:49pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: Baker Says He’d Rather Go To Jail After Judge Orders Him To Bake Cakes For Gay ‘ by elampiro(m): 3:25pm On Dec 13, 2013
U.S. judge orders landmark California cross taken down
BY DAN WHITCOMB.

LOS ANGELES Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:28pm EST

(Reuters) - A massive cross that serves as part of a war memorial on a San Diego hilltop must be dismantled because it has been found to violate a constitutional ban on government endorsement of religion, a federal judge grudgingly ruled on Thursday.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns marks the latest development in a long-running legal battle over the 43-foot-tall cross, a local landmark that has stood on top of Mount Soledad since 1954 and is visible for miles.

Burns stayed his order to give the Obama administration and the association that erected the cross, which have fought its removal all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, a chance to file another appeal. Otherwise, he said, the monument must be taken down within 90 days.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/us-usa-california-cross-idUSBRE9BC02Q20131213?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

No tolerance for Christianity. Every thing christian is been taken down and dismantled while gay pride, gay parades, etc are encouraged and christians forced to tolerate their evil ways. Whose right is actually being violated?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Daily Program For The Believer From Morning To Night- Dua / Confession!! Like If You Have Not Missed Any Sunday Mass This Year / Actual And Literal Islamic Human Slaughterhouses For Christians Discovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.