Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! (8775 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem / Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by ladionline: 6:40pm On Dec 13, 2013
I am a Nigerian child, this is the best place to be born to be a Nigerian or not to be at all. Except one is phsychic, it may not be possible to have existed somewhere else before. Methink, we exist here and now or never. In a country so diverse, varieties add spices to life. 'The Nigerian phenomenon' is alive in every Nigerian child, at a point, it is quickened by an 'awakening curiousity' which seek to know more than the simplicity of the ordinary on all the mysteries his experience and environment have to teach him. He peruse and make his wise choices afterall, regardless of whose ox is gored.
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by ladionline: 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2013
Back in those teenage days as at secondary school, my teachers often come with different stories for each subject. I wonder why? Who want to read many books then as a kid with all the alluring childhood things! Even so, our genius laid within yet to be fully awaken. One day in the class, the subject was economics. Our teacher scrible on the board and turn to us and said, 'human wants are insatiable, but resources to satisfy them are limited in supply' call it the theory of want. I bought into it as a child, a Nigerian child.
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by ladionline: 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2013
That theory sort of limit me for some time, until an awakening came. It occur to me that human want shouldn't be my problem, but my want. My want is an 'infinitecimal'? of human want, why stop short of 'the good life' because human wants are insatiable? I wander and wander till light. I fault the theory of want planted in me as a Nigerian child at adulthood. I think this is a function of self-esteem, that Nigerians can or had querry what they believe, and are brave enough to present the subject of their skills. Nigerians are experts at what they do, and it is the source of their success wherever they find as dwellingplace. And this gives them high self-esteem.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by ladionline: 7:30pm On Dec 13, 2013
The great Zik taught me a song in literature: He that is down fear no fall. He that is low no pride. He that is humble ever shall have God to be his guilde. I am content with what I have, little be it or much, but God's contentment is what I crave, for that saveth much! wink

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by ladionline: 7:43pm On Dec 13, 2013
Losers think of what they are losing and they lose. But winners think of what they are winning and they won. Concentrate on what you want and you will have it for real, it happens!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by ladionline: 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2013
Because we are very spiritual and a people with great hope, we have gone through the dark days together as one nation with common destiny, and we have arrived here on our path to a greater future. Our self-esteem, our drive.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by haysal(m): 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nice write up....should I say first to comment
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by budusky05(m): 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2013
Tomorow u will be the first to cue at poor african embersy seeking for visa, to go sell marijuana Rubish

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Coldfeet(f): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
Maybe
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
Op,u mean wayward Nigerian children nd adults.
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Elem1: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
?
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by alkanes1(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nice write up but i expected more

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Ruq: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
It's Naija.
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nice
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Idrismusty97(m): 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
If only we can forget the fact that we are a yoruba,hausa or an Igbo and remember we are still [size=24pt] Nigerians!!. [/size] Our country will be much better.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by macof(m): 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
I've been following this thread from the beginning now that it's on FP, I go soon un-follow
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
*Let me first say all you wrote is universal crap*

Nonsense responding to that thread alone confirms that most suffer from low self esteem.

What would you say about celebrating halloween, leaving our own practises for the europeans own (thanksgiving, baby showers).

What about millions of Nigerians naming their kids American names that they most probably don't the history, meaning and origin. What about the increasing popularity and practise of going abroad to give birth?

What about forming british and american accents while ridiculing ours? What about terming Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa as vernacular?

What about a secondary school dropout wanting to live large and blaming the government because he's not dangote? All because he/she wants to feel among.

A white man that goes for an interview in Nigeria already has a 40% chance over others just because he's white. (This is not only self-esteem but also racism)

Stop denying the truth

Majority of Nigerians with high self-esteem that valued their roots are dead or old and I blame them for not doing their duties well.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
Naturally, we don't need much but we want more. What we need we can afford but what we want becomes our drive. The drive to acquire activates the Nigerian spirit, and with no springboard we jump higher than most Olympians.

This can only be Nigerian

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by laplace19(m): 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2013
ladionline: Losers think of what they are losing and they lose. But winners think of what they are winning and they won.Concentrate on what you want and you will have it for real, it happens!

To the bolded...... This is what I have learnt from your topic and I'm highly exhilarated...

You made me to understand that since human wants are insatiable there are still some/few obtainable ones which we ought to concentrate on,rather than trying to accomplish all and in the course lose all at ones....

Thanks for this topic,and I'm applying a poco a poco(little by little) approach in accomplishing my goals.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Vivly(f): 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2013
Not entirely true.
You can't generalize like that.
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Cubeet: 5:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
i see
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by mazizitonene(m): 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2013
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Sard(m): 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
budusky05: Tomorow u will be the first to cue at poor african embersy seeking for visa, to go sell marijuana Rubish
queue, not cue. On a different note, what's the similarity between searching for greener pasture & self esteem? don't be dumb. That you have many family members selling marijuana in Malawi doesn't mean all Nigerians abroad do.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by alfredo4u(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
W

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Willgates(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
I swear....talk about low self esteem n d whites top d list
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Guidette(f): 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2013
The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel.
But what is Nigeria's highlight reel? Yes... we are the most populous black nation on earth and we pioneered the entertainment industry in Africa. We have oil and the biggest economy in Africa. Plus maybe saying we have Dangote or Alakija.
But what are our personal highlight reels for being Nigerian? My culture? My family? My friends?... There isn't anything more I can personally add on why I love being Nigerian.
We need to tell ourselves the truth.... Nigerians do not have high self esteem. If we did, we would not let our society deteriorate to the manner it has presently.

Who wants to be a Nigerian? Million dollar question. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Afrok(m): 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
Newton's 3rd law of motion: "to every action there must be an equal nd opposite reaction".
Nairaland's 22nd rules of posting: " to every thread there must be an equal nd opposite thread".
Am sorry I don't av anything to say just a little observation for d past few days, hope I've not said anything undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by NadiaSA1(f): 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2013
Hummmmmmm
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by shizzle11(m): 5:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
Idrismusty97: If only we can forget the fact that we are a yoruba,hausa or an Igbo and remember we are still [size=24pt] Nigerians!!. [/size] Our country will be much better.

FACT!
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nice!

I totally agree cheesy grin

*catwalks away shaking ass of course*

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by shizzle11(m): 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nadia_SA1: Ja
mtchewwww
Re: Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! by NadiaSA1(f): 5:25pm On Dec 15, 2013
shizzle11:
mtchewwww
tsek

(1) (2) (Reply)

Other Tribes(Youraba etc) Marries At Early Stage Than The Igbos Men Why? / Do You Want To Learn Yoruba Language From Scratch? Come In Here / I Don't Know Much Outside Northern Nigeria, Tell Me A Little About Your Tribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.