Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Operation No To Househelps 2014 - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Operation No To Househelps 2014 (16310 Views)

Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? / Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Operation No To Househelps 2014 by mogbomoya: 11:46am On Dec 16, 2013
Hello House,

2014 is round the corner, and the purpose of this tread is to share easy tips on how a working mother can survive without a house help in the YEAR 2014. (This is specially for Nigerian Working Mothers/Women. Mothers abroad pls share ur survival tips as u guys are used to DIY.)

Some say house helps are necessary evils. I had my first help in January 2013 and this year alone I have had 3 househelps! (The first was a thief, the second was so lazy & rude, the third had eye for my hubby and eventually got pregnant for our gate man). I got fed up and I have lived without them since September 2013. I am happy I do not have a stranger living with me.

I have a 17 months Son, and I am currently 3 months pregnant. The following tips will help anyone who decides to join me to say no to househelps in 2014.

1. You must get ur spouse involved. This is the most important o.
2. Get a washing machine. This is a saving grace cos my toddler can wear 5 different outfits in a day!
3. Get a deep freezer. This helps me to cook in bulk and store.
4. Ensure you have a generator that can power you freezer. (You do not want ur stored food getting defrosted and going stale cos of the erratic power supply in Nigeria.
5. Shop in bulk and store. In case you don't have time to shop, there are various online grocery shops. I love Madam Sabi. www.madamsabi.com You can also get ur office assistants/cleaners to help with ur shopping. For me, hubby does the toiletries and necessary provisions shopping (He buys from any supermarket, pack & shop/Shoprite/ebe ano), while I do the vegetables and meat.
6. Plan ur meals at the beginning of each week. I have a timetable.
7. If you have a toddler, get a Creche that closes 7pm around ur home, so that in case you are stuck in traffic, ur mind is at ease knowing fully well that ur kid is in safe hands. My baby's creche closes by 7pm, and in case my hubby/myself can't make it before 7pm. They take him home and I pick him from there. They also bath and fed my baby dinner and dress him in his night wear, so I just pick and put him to sleep in his play pen, while I make dinner. I take to bed when he eventually falls asleep in his playpen.
8. If you have older kids, get an after school facility, most creches offer this service. They bath, feed ur kids and help out with their assignment. They even help make ur female kids hair.
9. While doing house chores/cooking, my hubby baby sits our son.
10. Have a night schedule / specific bed time for ur children. My son sleeps by 7.30/8pm. so I have 2 hours to fix a quick dinner, have my bath, have dinner with hubby and watch TV.
11. Go for first service on Sundays. i.e if u are a xtian. I attend 7.30am service. Am back home before 10am, and have time to do loads of stuffs.
12. I use my Sundays to plan out all our cloths and shoes for the week. (Myself & son)
13. Get at least one good wig. For those sundays you are unable or too tired to make it to the salon.
14. Get ur hubby to help paint ur toe nails and do ur pedicure. Not only does it save u time, but also a bonding time for you both.
15. My hubby helps with the ironing and washing the toilets & bath.
16. Do not stack up ur dirty plates & pot. Try as much as possible to wash as u cook.
17. Get nice cartoons and sing along for ur kids. This keeps my son busy in his play pen / high seat while am busy with cooking/house chores. (In case hubby isn't around to baby sit.)
18. You do not have to attend / honor all weekend party invitations! I bet most don't even notice u are absent.
19. Hubby baths our son every morning. While I pack our breakfast/lunch boxes.
20. If u have an uncooperative hubby, pray to God and talk to ur hubby.

House, abeg add more tips.

grin grin grin grin grin I made FRONT PAGE!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by MRSANITY(m): 11:54am On Dec 16, 2013
All the best, but it aint gonna be easy

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by MsRola: 11:56am On Dec 16, 2013
Op nice thread!!thanks 4 d survival tips
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 16, 2013
Op, nice tips. I'm also trying to survive without a house help. I have recently returned my last help because she was rude and too conscious of men. I told hubby I have had enough of them.
How I survive with two hyperactive boys (3 and 21months):

Washing machine
Buying in bulk
Hubby is very cooperative
I clean everything immediately after use, especially dishes and cooker
I clean the house before going to bed so I just cook and take care of me and the boys in the morning
I Don't wake the boys until I'm ready to bathe them - they can be serious distraction before then
I have uniforms, socks, shoes, bags ready at night
We all go grocery shopping together, I pick stuff and hold my baby while hubby does trolley and is in charge of the brother
I get someone to thoroughly clean my house weekly, I pay her per cleaning
Hubby baby sits when necessary
I go home early, cook early, sleep early and wake up early
The kids stay with my mum whenever I feel I need a rest
I generally plan ahead

I even have enough time to watch my favorite shows, browse and relax!

9 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 6:19pm On Dec 16, 2013
Op this is not to spite you but an unbiased answer is needed
If your child steals would you send her away just the way you sent your Help away
No one is perfect,rather than send someone away all the time for their short comings why not profer solution
Its not going to be easy but your decision is ok

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by damiso(f): 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2013
Nice post @OP.really handy tips . The koko as you said is the second adult in the house also pulling his weight.

I am taking that your get a wig tip....Going to the salon these days is a chore. ...*sighs* remembering the days when I carried my hair for 3 weeks maximum embarassed
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by babyme1(f): 7:26pm On Dec 16, 2013
Why will i over stress myself after a long day because i dont wants another human being who isnt my relative sharing my living space? GOD FORBID!

I currently have a well-manered 16yr old who lives with me. SHE goes to school and when back from school she helps around. More like my younger sister n i love her to bits. If she leaves, im sure getting another one tongue

14 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 7:40pm On Dec 16, 2013
baby.me:
Why will i over stress myself after a long day because i dont wants another human being who isnt my relative sharing my living space? GOD FORBID!

I currently have a well-manered 16yr old who lives with me. SHE goes to school and when back from school she helps around. More like my younger sister n i love her to bits. If she leaves, im sure getting another one tongue
Some of these helps are humans just like our kids
Some woman don't treat them right,no sharing of jokes at least once in a while,no making them feel special in no way
All work and screaming of blessings name a million times
They are humans and have feelings
Sorry op for Derailing I really don't ve much input because I believe more hands are better than just mine and hubby

5 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by babyme1(f): 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2013
Mrs mansson:
Some of these helps are humans just like our kids
Some woman don't treat them right,no sharing of jokes at least once in a while,no making them feel special in no way
All work and screaming of blessings name a million times
They are humans and have feelings
Sorry op for Derailing I really don't ve much input because I believe more hands are better than just mine and hubby

Believe me i know all about that. I treat my girl like a partof my family, neighbours actually think she is my sister. What i dont get is some folks making it look like those that have helps at home are committing a crime.

If you know you cant treat them fine then dont get any, but dont make it look as if u are super special or something

10 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by ireneidiva(f): 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2013
Following.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2013
On saturday I went to buy diapers at my customer place. I saw her hubby instead and a gal of like 10yrs. Madam just put to bed. After exchanging pleasantries curiosity made me ask the gal what class she is now.
The man said,class?, she don't go to school o!
I asked why, he said, she be maid naw.
I sabi talk but I lost my voice that day.
I simply said ok.
God is watching us all.

5 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 16, 2013
Let's be realistic here, some of these helps are mean! The first help I had was with me for over 2 years and she left after primary six. She cried when she was leaving. She was already 14 when I got her but because she liked books, I put her in school, they put her in pry 4 then. Got another lovely one whom I had to let go the second day- her medical report showed she was 2 months preggy.

Then I got Jezebel! For one, she was arrogant and lazy, gave me a list of things she never does- ironing was one of them. In my desperation, I accepted as far as she was willing to take care of my baby at my (then) office reception. Note, she was 17 but looked 22 and never went to school, so taking her to school was never an option- she needed money.

Last straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I saw her in my dream. In the dream she removed an ancient bead she used to wear from her neck and tried to force it on my man's neck. I rushed to stop her, I tore the necklace from her hand and it scattered everywhere.

Following morning the necklace was gone for real. Before then, there was a day we were going for a wedding in new aso ebi and she had the necklace on( she wears it always). I begged her to remove it and wear the one I gave her and she said she has never removed it before, been wearing it since she was a baby. So that morning, I asked her about her ancient necklace and she said it cut and she couldn't retrieve a single piece, just like in the dream! I knew then she had to go.

I'm a soft person and I believe in fairness, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

13 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 2:08am On Dec 17, 2013
Babyme & Mrs Masson, your displayed guilty conscience and fear of being perceived as lazy bones is very understandable. What are you trying to achieve? Nobody is judging you so please let others live.

Would you please allow people of OP likes to share their opinion and time management skills?

Thank you.

damiso: Nice post @OP.really handy tips . The koko as you said is the second adult in the house also pulling his weight.

I am taking that your get a wig tip....Going to the salon these days is a chore. ...*sighs* remembering the days when I carried my hair for 3 weeks maximum embarassed

LoL.

OP
My other secret is a crock pot, that thingy cooks everything in this world, name it. All ingredients in, turn on , food is ready by the time you get back from work. And no fire hazard too, so no need too worry.

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 3:36am On Dec 17, 2013
Nice thread. As a man, i don't believe in helps. My wife and I never had any help and our boy is about 1year plus now. I try to help out and we do what we can. With all the modern gadgets available whats f big deal?
I personally cant stand all the drama of helps, not with all the evil going on these days. The best i can do is to hire someone that will come in on weekends and do generally cleaning if it becomes necessary.
My wife and I work and thank God for creches. I don't blame those who have helps but be prepared for anything u see. I grew up with helps and i know how they tried to harass me sexually.

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by mogbomoya: 9:06am On Dec 17, 2013
@Mrs. Mansson, if a help coincides with an outsider to kidnap ur child, I guess u will forgive the help and look for ways to manage her short comings. It may interest you to know that all my help go on family vacation with us. I don't really want to blow my trumpet on how well I treated my helps.
@Baby.Me, sorry but that is child labor. I employ only adults who can make their own decisions and earn their money. I have children that I sponsor, I pay their fees and other stuffs. Let the kids be with their parents.
Am not trying to judge you, but I totally despise when I visit my family/friends and I see an under aged help. No matter how well u treat them or how u try to defend it, sweet heart it is child labor. My orientation is quite different from that of an average Nigerian, maybe cause I spent over half my current yrs on earth living abroad.
@Candy, I love your quote, " I'd rather be safe than sorry".
@Gaggi, ur so correct, I can't stand the whole drama of of helps.
@ Ewuro707, am so going to look for the crock pot.

Please keep the tips coming in.

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by damiso(f): 10:10am On Dec 17, 2013
Ewuro707: Babyme & Mrs Masson, your displayed guilty conscience and fear of being perceived as lazy bones is very understandable. What are you trying to achieve? Nobody is judging you so please let others live.

Would you please allow people of OP likes to share their opinion and time management skills?

Thank you.

LoL.

OP
My other secret is a crock pot, that thingy cooks everything in this world, name it. All ingredients in, turn on , food is ready by the time you get back from work. And no fire hazard too, so no need too worry.

Another tip taken especially for all those cow foot, stewed beans etc grin grin.I have one kain olden days pressure cooker but hubby keeps telling me that thing is a health and safety disaster waiting to happen embarassed grin.Thank you. kiss kiss.Will look at buying one as soon as possible.

And yes please, can we just keep it at tips and not househelp vs no househelp there are plenty of threads for that.

1 Like

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ewuro707: Babyme & Mrs Masson, your displayed guilty conscience and fear of being perceived as lazy bones is very understandable. What are you trying to achieve? Nobody is judging you so please let others live.

Thank you.

LoL.
Guilt or Fear? cheesy
You are a big joker
Abeg op Ride on

OP

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 12:01pm On Dec 17, 2013

Thank you.

LoL.

OP

Guilt or Fear cheesy
You are a joker
Abeg op ride on
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by bukatyne(f): 12:02pm On Dec 17, 2013

Thank you.

LoL.

OP

What about a food that you add the ingridents in stages?
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
bukatyne:

Dat pot is for lazy people grin

1 Like

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by baby124: 12:51pm On Dec 17, 2013
A crockpot is a fantastic idea
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by bukatyne(f): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
Chillisauce:

Dat pot is for lazy people grin

l
Lol!

NL these days na waya!
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by samplet(f): 1:50pm On Dec 17, 2013
house help? some are nice while some can never like you no matter how hard you try to be nice to them,
@OP, I think the best thing is to get those ones that you can pay monthly and get a new one as soon as the present one is not doing the way you wanted,
cos bringing in relatives or people you know very well will always bring you a bad name at last
and we as married women, you cannot do it all alone, otherwise you will be worn out, we sure need a house help, cos if one is sick or having preggy morning sickness, your hubby may not be available to help you but a househelp will always be at your service.
my one cent though.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by armyofone(m): 2:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
Crock is good for chili, meat sauce things, hefty meaty pot roast and other western food. In nig setting i wonder if it will be useful in cooking ogbono, egusi, bitter leaf soup etc that naijaians like. Unless one is talking abt using it to cook your meat/ponmo/oxtail/bokoto etc (one stage in nig cooking) while at work. I recently got two fancy crocks as a gift and yet to open them. I like my fav resturant pot roast and chili anyway.

Husband and wifey should play their part and help each other at home. When they do, there will be no need for little kids working from dusk to dawn.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
baby_123: A crockpot is a fantastic idea

How can that boil the strong opkoroko, dry fish and my sweet okra without over cooking my okra or make my stock fish into biscuit bone cheesy.
Although You can only use it for pepper soup, beans etc.

When Nepa takes light, your uncooked food will just float cheesy waiting for you to rescue it.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Tobiegal(f): 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2013
Its funny but, i practically live my life just the way the OP has itemized. Only difference is that i've neva had a maid/help in the past 4years of marriage.

I do have a 2year old, and am presently preggie again, but, we have been able to manage just fine in my household.

For those that cant do without them, its well... For those that can, God dey.

For me, dont the mind for all their drama.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
Mrs mansson:
Guilt or Fear cheesy
You are a joker
Abeg op ride on

Yeah I am a joker and A ferocious one at that. wink
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 17, 2013
damiso:

Another tip taken especially for all those cow foot, stewed beans etc grin grin.I have one kain olden days pressure cooker but hubby keeps telling me that thing is a health and safety disaster waiting to happen embarassed grin.Thank you. kiss kiss.Will look at buying one as soon as possible.

And yes please, can we just keep it at tips and not househelp vs no househelp there are plenty of threads for that.

@pressure cooker, I always have this evil thot that my lo will pull it off the stove one day. So I stopped using it. You know just like your hubby's warning? It's good for gbegiri & cow feet , ponmo, but I'd rather use pot/skillet now. Dutch oven works great too, retains heat longer and cooks faster, it even bakes.

Chilli yes for lazy people like career women who wants to feed their family fresh ingredients like stay home moms does smiley

Army, you got that right, rotisserie chicken with potatoes and radishes, pulled pork( great for sandwiches for school / work lunch) , pot roast, obe ata, shepherds pie even jollof rice, name it.

bukatyne:

I employ you to check online for Nigerian Crock pot dishes recipes.

More hints:

1.Iron a whole week work/school outfits, I bought this organizer from Avon , it includes all days of the week above each slot, I arrange every kids outfit +socks+underwear from mon-frid so one less thing to worry about.

2. I bathe them every night. So I just wipe their bodies and privates every morning, I use baby wipes , brush and spray their hair and off we go.
Hair do for girls- invest in million braids that'll last 8weeks, you can shampoo -condition-blow dry- moisturize ( I use baby oil & coconut oil for scalps) every Sunday,

I'll come up with more.

1 Like

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by baby124: 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2013
Chillisauce:

How can that boil the strong opkoroko, dry fish and my sweet okra without over cooking my okra or make my stock fish into biscuit bone cheesy.
Although You can only use it for pepper soup, beans etc.

When Nepa takes light, your uncooked food will just float cheesy waiting for you to rescue it.

It will be perfect for the oporoko. But things like okro which cook fast can just be blended and kept till you are ready to add it. LMAO at stock fish into biscuit bone. Crock pot cooks things soft over time. So its perfect.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by baby124: 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ewuro707:

@pressure cooker, I always have this evil thot that my lo will pull it off the stove one day. So I stopped using it. You know just like your hubby's warning? It's good for gbegiri & cow feet , ponmo, but I'd rather use pot/skillet now. Dutch oven works great too, retains heat longer and cooks faster, it even bakes.

Chilli yes for lazy people like career women who wants to feed their family fresh ingredients like stay home moms does smiley

Army, you got that right, rotisserie chicken with potatoes and radishes, pulled pork( great for sandwiches for school / work lunch) , pot roast, obe ata, shepherds pie even jollof rice, name it.

More hints:

1.Iron a whole week work/school outfits, I bought this organizer from Avon , it includes all days of the week above each slot, I arrange every kids outfit +socks+underwear from mon-frid so one less thing to worry about.

2. I bathe them every night. So I just wipe their bodies and privates every morning, I use baby wipes , brush and spray their hair and off we go.
Hair do for girls- invest in million braids that'll last 8weeks, you can shampoo -condition-blow dry- moisturize ( I use baby oil & coconut oil for scalps) every Sunday,

I'll come up with more.

Nice tips here. grin grin grin wink
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by ireneidiva(f): 9:06pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ewuro707:

More hints:

I'll come up with more.

your kids wear braids for eight weeks? And have a bath only at night? You need a maid!

18 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Chaulay1: 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
@op, great tips u have there. I currently have a help that is leaving this december ending. That I will miss her is an understatement cos she is good and has a likeable spirit. I took to her the very first time I met her but she too has to move on.

I have a 10month old baby and how I wish I close earlier from work. I am still on my way home as I am writing this. Which creche will take care of my baby till dis time? - the main reason why I think I need an help. Before our baby arrived, there was no need for any but now..... Most times I am already fagged out by the time I get home to start preparing dinner so I usually cook over the weekend while my help defrost and prepare whatever that will go with it.

For me, going by my current schedule, it may be a bit challenging without an help. But I make sure I treat them well and no underage help for me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Fathers Jealous Of Their Kids? / Don't Let Your Daughter Be Too Close To Their Pastor- Journalist Advises Mothers / Generator Fume Kills Health Officer, Wife In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.