Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,284 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. (1586 Views)

Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best / Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by johnny2013(m): 12:16pm On Dec 16, 2013
I need help to know what is wrong and what to do on my 99 honda civic. I just discovered that when turning, there is a cracking sound on the front wheel. Pls can anyone tell what the issue is?

Please all good people in the house should help advice before I take it for repair.
Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by abatically(m): 2:09pm On Dec 16, 2013
There are lots of reasons that could cause that, could be the shaft. Or probably your ball joints are about to fall off. My advice, stop driving it and take it to ur mechanic to examine before it disappoints u in the middle of nowhere. And when replacing ball joints, insist on the original ones and not the korean ones that litter the market. If u can't get a genuine new one u can buy a tokunbo ball joint, way better than the new korean or china ones.

1 Like

Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 16, 2013
johnny2013: I need help to know what is wrong and what to do on my 99 honda civic. I just discovered that when turning, there is a cracking sound on the front wheel. Pls can anyone tell what the issue is?

More like a "clicking" sound. This indicates wear in your outer CV (Constant Velocity) joint/s. Most common cause is worn CV gaiters, if they're split, allowing the grease to escape (and grit to get in) then the bearings will wear out pretty fast.

Get a replacement joint, and have a new CV gaiter fitted at the same time.
Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by johnny2013(m): 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
Thanks to you Sienna and Abatically. I appreciate
Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by itsmayiela(m): 1:59pm On Dec 19, 2013
@Siena, CV gaiter is not a common name in the automobile industry in naija. Could you pls break it down to a local workshop name for the sake of us?
Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 19, 2013
itsmayiela: @Siena, CV gaiter is not a common name in the automobile industry in naija. Could you pls break it down to a local workshop name for the sake of us?

CV joint rubber boot.
Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by oblo(m): 3:13am On Dec 20, 2013
Or just tell them shaft rubber. That's the most common street name in naija,
Re: Help! Little Cracking Sound On Front Wheel When Turning. by johnny2013(m): 5:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
Thanks to you all. The issue has been fixed. It is shaft rubber that tore off and exposed the bearings causing them to wear off.
I think I have a good mechanic, because even without explaining to him, he knew it immediately he handled the car and since he replaced it, it has been smooth.

You guys gave me the idea despite the heavy grammar, I loved what u all told me, thanks

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

8 Vehicles In Fatal Accident At Toll Gate / Oga Gazzuzz And Other Expert Kindly Advise / 2004 Toyota Corolla Is No Shifting Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.