Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? (14911 Views)

Motorized Three-Wheel Tricycle Spotted In Onitsha (Photos) / Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best / The New 6-wheel-drive Mercedes G63 AMG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by automine(m): 2:38pm On Oct 20, 2012
I would like to throw this discussion open for education and knowledge sharing for automobile enthusiasts.
I think there is need to educate ourselves on topics like these. What do you think?
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 3:21pm On Oct 20, 2012
Hmm!

An interesting topic.

Ikenna.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
Both drive systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

Front Wheel Drives
(FWDs) have an edge over Rear Wheel Drives (RWDs) in slippery conditions due to the weight of the engine over the driven wheels (they often hv a 60:40 weight distribution ratio), this gives em extra traction.

FWD systems are compact due to the transverse layout of the engine and tranaxle. This makes them lighter and much more fuel efficient as a result..besides,they cost car manufacturers less to design/build. Unfortunately,most FWD Systems can't handle Engine HP outputs in excess of 270hp due to a tendency to generate 'torque steer',this drawback,in additional to questionable stability @​ high speeds make them unfavourable for motorsports.

RWDs on the other hand have a much more favourable 50:50 weight distribution (due to their longitudinal engine setup and mounting of their gearboxes along the transmission tunnel) and handle better. They also have greater stability @​ high speeds and are much easier to predict when they close to their 'limits'. RWD platforms cost more to develop and they aint as fuel efficient as the FWDs due to their weight (thanks to their suspension and other driveline components).

RWDs can handle a lot of power and are favoured in racing circles.

3 Likes

Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by topsyking: 10:11am On Oct 22, 2012
First to comment..ah ah
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by jigawatts(m): 10:15am On Oct 22, 2012
topsyking: First to comment..ah ah

grin grin grin
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 22, 2012
Nice post, more comments people! Some of us are learning - about cars that is.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 22, 2012
A very nice and insightful thread,well i've had the opportuinity to drive both(RWD&FWD)but if i'm to choose, the FWD(Front Wheel Drive) is much more cool to me.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by JIkaba(m): 10:30am On Oct 22, 2012
D 1st shal b d last . . . 4k dat position undecided
D 1st shal b d last . . . 4k dat position
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by megxo(m): 10:33am On Oct 22, 2012
4-wheeled drive iz beta
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by lilkech(m): 10:34am On Oct 22, 2012
what of 'AWD' vehicles?
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 22, 2012
Waiting on Sienna to comment
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by DANILSA(m): 11:16am On Oct 22, 2012
COMES TO THE THREAD, NOT SURE WHAT TO COMMENT GIVES SIENNA A CALL, SENDS IKENNA A MAIL AND SENDS NISSAN PART SMS REQUESTING FOR EXPERT HELP. cool cool cheesy
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by jude33084(m): 11:19am On Oct 22, 2012
megxo: 4-wheeled drive iz beta

Oga τhe question is RWD aŋԂ FWD which is better? He didn't ask about 4WD

@Op I still prefer RWD in Nigerian road. I use BMW 3 series aŋԂ you know how ruged Ŧħåϯ machine is wink

1 Like

Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by jude33084(m): 11:25am On Oct 22, 2012
Op pls modify your quȅstion aŋԂ add AWD to satisfy some guys here smiley
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:27am On Oct 22, 2012
WAITING ON SIENNA TO GIVE A COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER..

Please Sienna, include AWD, FWD, RWD in your analysis.. Personally, I prefer RWD Cars..
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by efetoma(m): 11:35am On Oct 22, 2012
What other comprehensive answer/response are u lukin 4 again? I feel u shld instead say ''additional'' contribution cus platinumricky did a gud analysis already. Thanks
Okija_juju: WAITING ON SIENNA TO GIVE A COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER..

Please Sienna, include AWD, FWD, RWD in your analysis.. Personally, I prefer RWD Cars..
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Fruittyswaqboii(m): 11:38am On Oct 22, 2012
platinumricky: Both drive systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

Front Wheel Drives
(FWDs) have an edge over Rear Wheel Drives (RWDs) in slippery conditions due to the weight of the engine over the driven wheels (they often hv a 60:40 weight distribution ratio), this gives em extra traction.

FWD systems are compact due to the transverse layout of the engine and tranaxle. FWDs are also lighter and much more fuel efficient as a result..besides,they cost car manufacturers less to design/build. Unfortunately,most FWD Systems can't handle Engine HP outputs in excess of 270hp due to a tendency to generate 'torque steer',this drawback,in additional to questionable stability @​ high speeds make them unfavourable for motorsports.

RWDs on the other hand have a much more favourable 50:50 weight distribution (due to their longitudinal engine setup and mounting of their gearboxes along the transmission tunnel) and handle better. They also have greater stability @​ high speeds and are much easier to predict when they close to their 'limits'. RWD platforms cost more to develop and they aint as fuel efficient as the FWDs due to their weight (thanks to their suspension and other driveline components).

RWDs can handle a lot of power and are favoured in racing circles.

That's all! iNeed not say more
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 22, 2012
use am go collect work for dangote nah! Nonsense
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by TippyTop(m): 11:51am On Oct 22, 2012
Just popping to work, can someone give me a shout when Sienna arrives? Thanks.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Emmykeyz(m): 12:00pm On Oct 22, 2012
FWDs are not too good for drifting! (yes iLove to drift once in a while) but on the other hand, when u need to come to an abrupt stop..............uKnow warrido!, RWDs! nice, but not too nice! smiley
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
RWDs are d best. Unfortunately I now drive a camry and I promise myself again not to ever buy anything like that again. RWDs all the way! Mercedes all the way.

1 Like

Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Ibotex(m): 12:20pm On Oct 22, 2012
When i drive a RWD my confidence increases. Fasten your seatbelt please.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by nairaman66(m): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
One wheel drive- Wheelbarrow!
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Burger01(m): 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
O ma se o.. See your life. Are you sure you are first to comment?
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Wallie(m): 2:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
The old argument of push (rear wheel drive) vs. pull (front wheel drive)! Which one is better? It depends on your use.

1. Need more wet traction in a low powered car (less than 300 hp)? Front wheel drive because of the weight of the engine weighing on the tires. If the car is high powered, tires and quality of electronic aids will determine traction.

2. Care only about fuel economy? Front wheel drive because it is usually lighter due to all the drivetrain components being in the front.

3. Your car has more than 300 hp? Rear wheel drive because you won’t get the torque steer and understeer of front wheel drives. Front wheel drives are trying to steer the car while also pulling the car. In a rear wheel drive, the front wheel steers the car and the rear wheel pushes (drives) the car.

4. You are passionate about driving feel? Rear wheel drive because the steering feel is unadulterated.

5. You want the fastest low powered car you can buy? Neither because the actual car, its engine and electronic aids (traction control, dynamic stability control) determines how fast the car will be.

6. You want the fastest high powered car you can buy? Rear wheel drive.

All wheel drive complicates things a little because it gives you more traction but at the expense of more weight and drivetrain losses, which means that all else being equal, it will be slower than a rear wheel drive except when wet.

2 Likes

Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by danjalingo: 2:48pm On Oct 22, 2012
i' ve lwarnt smtin new. i used to tink fwd is an improvement on rwd. na wa oooooooo

1 Like

Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wallie's said it all, nothing more to add.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
Siena: Wallie's said it all, nothing more to add.

WHAT ABOUT AWDs?
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 22, 2012
Okija_juju:

WHAT ABOUT AWDs?

That would be derailling this thread.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by alausasamuel: 5:20pm On Oct 22, 2012
I prefer rear wheel drive. They are stronger
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
alausasamuel: I prefer rear wheel drive. They are stronger

That's a fact.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 22, 2012
FWD= Understeer.

RWD= Oversteer.

FWD are mostly found on "Fuel Efficient" and compact cars as you've rightly said. But then, I think it's a matter of preference.

On slippery/wet surfaces the FWD is better (Okay, I know a lot of technologies sort of balance this, traction control and the likes).

Just my points though.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How I Was Able To Stop "Belt Cutting" Wahala In My Honda Civic / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? / I got the Pontiac Vibe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.