Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:18 AM

Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem (1535 Views)

Honda Civic 2001 And Landrover Freelander 2000 / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model / I Have A Check Engine Problem 2000 Mazda 626 Es/lx (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by ChrisChino(m): 4:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
Pls, my freelander 2000model has been giving me problem especially overheating. Now my automech says that the engine have cracked after replacing the head gasket.
His advice is for me to replace both the engine and gearbox with a Toyota siena type.
Anyone have any advice if its safe to do so.
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 17, 2013
Freelander engine and issues........my broda had his engine replaced with a toyota carina engine or so....d car is ok nw,no overheat again...
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by Lexusgs430: 10:44pm On Dec 17, 2013
A thread has already been created about the same engine swap. Hunt the thread down and learn from it.

Managed to do the hunting for you !!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/1092539/camry-engine-freelander-1999-model#12815831
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by sultaan(m): 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
Don't do anything until Siena gives you advice on engine that fits.

Freelander engine over heats but when you kept driving that is when you cracked it if its cracked.

Usually the headgasket fails double check that first
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by ChrisChino(m): 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
i wish SIENA can comment on the thread.
Because the current Situation is that once the engine is started, the coolant will start boiling immeditely in the small radiator reservior.
sultaan: Don't do anything until Siena gives you advice on engine that fits.

Freelander engine over heats but when you kept driving that is when you cracked it if its cracked.

Usually the headgasket fails double check that first
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by ChrisChino(m): 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
Thank you sir.
But do you think that the engine is gone beyoung repire? Because the current Situation is that once the engine is started, the coolant will start boiling immeditely in the small radiator reservior.
Lexusgs430: A thread has already been created about the same engine swap. Hunt the thread down and learn from it.

Managed to do the hunting for you !!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/1092539/camry-engine-freelander-1999-model#12815831
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 21, 2013
The reliability issues with the Rover K-series engines has been covered in several threads on Nairaland and beyond, and can't be over stressed. I always advice anyone thinking of buying one, to look elsewhere.

Since you already own this SUV, my advice would be to look at a Honda engine AND transmission transplant, from a 1st generation Honda CRV, which the Landrover Freelander is loosely based upon. Similar transmission (with AWD) and the width difference between the two SUV's is negligible, meaning you might not need to use cut-and-shut driveshafts (a dangerous practice).

There IS a Freelander here somewhere, with an older Toyota engine, but the wiring and general execution of the swap leaves a lot to be desired. I would NOT entrust the lives of my family to a car that looked like that.

Above all, it's important you find a shop that has good testimonials, and know what the swap involves. This will NOT be a cheap exercise, if done correctly. My personal opinion would be to cut your losses, and get rid of that irksome British failure. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle, worry and financial deficit.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

1 Like

Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by ChrisChino(m): 1:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
Now is the type of opinion i was seeking. Thanks Bros Siena. God bless.
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by romityl: 3:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Siena pls I av a freelander 1990 model n it using a toyota engin and am ok wit it nw ...just woke up diz mrng n my servo is not functioning we'll ...my brk is nt working as a reslt of dat..@ls can I knw the cost of a servo ....!cos I need to replc it imdtly or mabi a contact I can caLl to giv me de price of a servo tnks
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by sultaan(m): 4:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
A 1990 freelander?

Servo in a car?

I have no idea what you are talking about

pic in other post is a brake booster
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
romityl: Siena pls I av a freelander 1990 model n it using a toyota engin and am ok wit it nw ...just woke up diz mrng n my servo is not functioning we'll ...my brk is nt working as a reslt of dat..@ls can I knw the cost of a servo ....!cos I need to replc it imdtly or mabi a contact I can caLl to giv me de price of a servo tnks

Dude, if you need any sort of remote assistance, you'll have to write clearly and concisely. All this text-style typing, I have no desire to give myself a headache trying to decipher.

And a 1990 Landrover Freelander?? Sorry, I can't help you.
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by chronique(m): 8:01am On Dec 29, 2013
Lol. *falls from coconut tree and breaks head* I guess he's trying to say a 1999 freelander;definitely can't be 1990. But honestly,I don't think I understand him either.
Siena:

Dude, if you need any sort of remote assistance, you'll have to write clearly and concisely. All this text-style typing, I have no desire to give myself a headache trying to decipher.

And a 1990 Landrover Freelander?? Sorry, I can't help you.
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by ChrisChino(m): 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2013
romityl: Siena pls I av a freelander 1990 model n it using a toyota engin and am ok wit it nw ...just woke up diz mrng n my servo is not functioning we'll ...my brk is nt working as a reslt of dat..@ls can I knw the cost of a servo ....!cos I need to replc it imdtly or mabi a contact I can caLl to giv me de price of a servo tnks
what is servo pls ?
Re: Freelander 2000 Model Engine Problem by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2013
ChrisChino: what is servo pls ?

Brake booster.

(1) (Reply)

2006 Pathfinder Coolant/transmission Issues,recommended ATF And Coolant / Are Japanese Cars Better Than German Cars? / Where Can I Convert A Right Hand Vehicle To Left Hand Drive In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.