Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,513 members, 7,954,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:54 PM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? (14912 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / Samuel Eto'o Shows Off His New Car Worth Millions Of Dollars - Bugatti Veyron / Japanese Cars Vs German Cars - Which Do You Prefer To Use In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 18, 2013
chucky234: When buying a car aside the luxury,maintenance and durability resale value is paramount.
I'll rather spend N4.5m to get a clean used Toyota Venza than spending N3.5m to buy a Kia Sorento,I'll sure recoup 80% of what I spend in buying the Venza on resale.
A friend of mine bought a brand new 2004 Honda accord,drove it for 7 years and put it up for sale in 2011 at N2m, no one was ready to pay beyond N1m.
He was forced to sell it off for N1m after 6 months, while another friend who bought the same model at N1.5m in 2010 sold it this year for N950,000.
The former has since bought used 2008 honda accord and he is enjoying it, there is no point spending so much on you'll use for just few years as there will always be newer versions that'll tempt you to prompt you to sell the present one to get a newer version.
so seven years is just few years...s.m.h hass he not used the car too d max.,...not evn 3 years
he has derived his pleasure and his money in the car
so dt price is nt bad bro

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by piagetskinner(m): 10:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
klens: even a used 1997 Camry is better ,stronger, more durable than 2012 Kia rio. it is matter of choice, and available cash. with that 3.5 to 4.5mill you can get a good Tokumbo car that is far better than a brand new car of that worth and still have enough cash depending on the type you bought . you can't compare fairly used Highlander which is cheaper than brand new Kia models , talk more of Venza, spider, Avalon in Toyota series. if you need good Brand New car, you make a big budget for that. does anyone here knows the current price of Avalon now? that's what most guys are cruising now.
Depends on the model,2006/07 sells 4 around 2.2-2.6m, 08/09 4 2.8-3m+...however the brand new 2013 model goes 4 8m
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 1:59am On Dec 19, 2013
faakay: OK well said.

Everybody with individual taste

as for me if have got 2.5 - 3.5 million.

I would rather settle for a brand new toyota camry or peagueot instead of buying one mussle or jeep
lolz! Bros, abeg, ur 2.5-3.5m, wen u buy the brand new car, make I knw. Me sef wan buy for my grand father. Apart from kia picanto oo! If u see buy, lemme knw, I will also personally use my money to do comprehensive insurance for u, buy fuel in ur ur for 2 years. The mussle wey u spell sef, u knw how much be brand new one? Chie! See ignoramus oooo!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 2:08am On Dec 19, 2013
grin
voltront: Since i bought my new car my impression about used cars has totally changed. you cannot compare the PEACE OF MIND you will get from a new car to that you will get from the "CLEAN" tokunbo cars that are in the market....... remember some of the cars are imported after natural disasters such as floods has ravaged them in Europe. we here buy them and start feeling fly. before you know it its one issue after the other. Granted the initial cost in buying a used cars is far better but in the long run you will end up paying for the balance in monetary terms and emotionally over the years. especially when you can afford a new one in the first place. a new KIA RIO is better that a used CAMRY..................from experience...........mechanic use person chop TIRE!
my brother, u neva talk truth, na loan u take buy ur new car!!! cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by wwwkaycom(m): 4:11am On Dec 19, 2013
faakay: OK well said.

Everybody with individual taste

as for me if have got 2.5 - 3.5 million.

I would rather settle for a brand new toyota camry or peagueot instead of buying one mussle or jeep
Can you please tell me where they sell brand new Toyota Camry for N3.5Million Bro?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by wwwkaycom(m): 4:18am On Dec 19, 2013
Eyop:

You can contact Toyota dealership in Nigeria to confirm the price of a brand new Toyota camry. Even the new corolla sells for over #4million naira now depending on the trim.
The cheapest camry in Nigeria is about N6million.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by chikaflora: 4:46am On Dec 19, 2013
In summary,there are more impoverish Nigerians than middle class ones,all the love for the used car is caused by poverty. in the word of my course mate in school (na poverty dey cause all this one ohhh, na poverty...)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by wwwkaycom(m): 5:06am On Dec 19, 2013
voltront: Since i bought my new car my impression about used cars has totally changed. you cannot compare the PEACE OF MIND you will get from a new car to that you will get from the "CLEAN" tokunbo cars that are in the market....... remember some of the cars are imported after natural disasters such as floods has ravaged them in Europe. we here buy them and start feeling fly. before you know it its one issue after the other. Granted the initial cost in buying a used cars is far better but in the long run you will end up paying for the balance in monetary terms and emotionally over the years. especially when you can afford a new one in the first place. a new KIA RIO is better that a used CAMRY..................from experience...........mechanic use person chop TIRE!
have you heard of certified used car before? I bought my 2008 Toyota Corolla in 2011 with 65500miles, very clean. All I have done in more than two years of use is buy new tyres at 1year, regular change of oil (3months), changed brake pads once and that is all. I bought it for N1.9million from Cotonou then, I felt like selling it some weeks ago before changing my mind and my boss said he would pay N1.4million for the car and another lady colleague passionately begged me to give it to her for N1.2million, meanwhile my friends 2010 Hyundai Elantra bought brand new same time with mine for over N2million naira is being priced N800k-N1m. I wont buy just any crap in the name of new car. I also prefer new cars but cant afford the brands I have in mind for now. For me, Kia, Hyundai and these chinco cars are no! no!! no!!!. Let me tell you also that some of these so called warranty on new cars are a big fraud. They dont honour it. You go there and they start telling you stories of certain parts warrant will not cover, my friend must have spent more of his personal money on his "brand new" Elantra than I have spent on my tokunbo corolla.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Lexusgs430: 6:03am On Dec 19, 2013
All over the world, used cars are been sold. Get your facts right !!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by MARKREN: 6:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
U spoke my mind.
Just to add to your point: I moved to a part of town where the roads are in a horrible shape and I was torn apart between buying a brand new car or a fairly used 4x4. After much deliberation I opted for a used 4runner at N3.7M, a friend of mine opted for a new Kia sportage (N4.5M), while another went for the brand new Pajero (N7.5M). After about a year of use on those roads (We all know how bad some roads in Lagos can be especially in developing areas) the difference is clear. Their cars are always in the mechanic for one issue or the other. In fact one of them has changed his break pad more than twice this one year while the other has had to change his master braking system, not to mention other sundry issues.
We are being cheated in this part of the world with the so called new cars being brought here as they are of inferior quality when you compare them with the European or American specs (I just do not mean Kia & Hyundai, even some brand new Toyota cars are of inferior quality), due to the non availability of standards in our country. As a result these cars dealer bring in all sort of rubbish (especially from Asia & South Africa of recent) into this country claiming there are new cars while in the real sense, these car will not pass the strict quality standards set in US or Europe. I can just imagine what will happen when we start assembling cars again as the FG is inconceivably pushing.
Lastly Nigeria is not the only country where people buy used cars. In the US and UK there are huge used cars markets which serve as a bridge for people who cannot afford new cars. The only difference is that they do not need to import them due the sophisticated and well developed auto industry they possess.
As for mileage this is dependent on what the buyer wants. I still have a 2002 Camry I bought in 2008. It is still serving very well, except for the shocks due to our Lagos roads. I would not trade it for a new picanto, i10, accent or even an Elantra (even though they give better mileage) due to its build quality, as I have ridden in some of them cars; they are nice to drive in when they are new, but when they get old ( by old I mean 3-4 years and above), they become very problematic, due to our bad roads and have a poor resale value if you want to get rid of them.

abatically: First of all, not only Nigerians buy used cars. People in developed countries like the USA, UK, Germany, Canada, etc all buy used cars. As a matter of fact, I would say Nigerians even buy new cars than other developed countries. You will ask me why I say so. Reason is we make full payment for our cars and even pay more than those white folks. For Naija its cash and carry, while in developed countries, about 70% of new cars are on loan payment. How many banks give car loan in Nigeria?

Now op back to ur Kia. Lets say u get ur 2013 new Kia Rio for 2.5million. Yes there is nothing like driving a new car, but with that money I can buy a very clean title low mileage 2008 Honda Accord 4 cylinder. You have better fuel mpg than me no doubt , but do u derive joy in driving that car? How strong are ur suspension. What about safety features and other fun stuff. Well all that might not matter to u because u said car na car. To some people there is more to a car than just mpg and moving from point A to point B. Even though my car is older than urs, its still more advanced than ur new Kia. After 5 years of usage, compare the 2 cars, mine will still be stronger while urs would have worn out. I have more space , more power, more speed, stability etc. And when i decide I am bored with it, I am still going to get more value for money than ur new Kia rio or picanto. So.. if I don't have enough money to buy the latest model of the car I like, I can buy an older model at a cheaper price rather than buy what I don't like just because its brand new.

If I want fuel economy close to what ur Kia rio or picanto gets, the 2.5M will still get me a very clean 2010 toyota corolla and trust me, it will dust ur brand new kia in every aspect. Come back after 5 years My corolla will still be going strong while ur Kia would have worth not more than 400k
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Demdem(m): 3:03pm On Dec 20, 2013
rigormortis:

have you driven a picanto past a moving trailer or a heavy duty vehicle moving in the opposite direction before?

Suicide Mission
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by CHIMSKY(m): 6:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
Faakay,take ya 3.5m buy Toyota 4 Runner 2009 Model and enjoy ya money.Remember.life no get duplicate.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by ihimami: 8:59pm On Dec 20, 2013
chikaflora: In summary,there are more impoverish Nigerians than middle class ones,all the love for the used car is caused by poverty. in the word of my course mate in school (na poverty dey cause all this one ohhh, na poverty...)

I dont think you have adequate knowledge of used vahicles sales to arrived at this conclusion. You mean it is poverty that make some one buy a 2010 Audi A6 for five million Naira?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Fajzay: 5:16am On Dec 23, 2013
faakay:

The car is okay. http://www.peugeot301.org/
I just checked it out.

are you telling me I can't get a brand new toyota camry for 3.5 million naira? I can't believe that.

Car companies have got various series of brand so I should be a able to get a car either camry, corolla, peaguoet, benz, bmw etc for that amount even at lesser price

Brand new camry for 3.5M You got to be kidding me ... Thats a 6/7M car man!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Fajzay: 6:41am On Dec 23, 2013
faakay:

This will solve my problem!

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/#!/Welcome I just checked out this site and I like the white one and it's classical cool

I don't care what people think about class because the defination of class to me is different the way some people view it.

People need to live according to their budget! You don't necessary need to buy an expensive car before you can start driving.

The brand new car should last atleast 2 - 5 years I'm right? You would always want to change cars as new one evolves because it's normal.

Like I said I would always prefer a brand new car rather than a used one except when the funds is not available where I can only settle for less ranging from 700k - 1 million naira.

But if I have got 3.5 million? I will never buy a used car!

Ve got a couple of Q to ask you?
1) Are you just buying a car cos you wanna feel like someone using a brand new?
2)How long do you intend to use your brand new car?
3) Whats the use of the car to you? Just within town or you do long distance waka?

If you are only gonna be driving within the city, maybe your 1.5L Yaris would serve you but if you are a frequent traveler ... 4yrs down the line, your Yaris would not serve you man not even with the bad roads etc. You'll need a performance car.

I once rented a almost new Yaris from AVIS during a 5day stop over in Namibia and after gassing down at abt 170-180km/hr for almost 3hrs (very gud roads o), i intend flashing an on coming vehicle, with just that extra power need for the light, the vehicle started jerking and shaking as if its gonna tear apart. Reduced the speed to 140km/hr and tried with the light and everything was fine. After a while, I did raised the game up to 180 againa nd the car began jerking uncontrollably if i tried the light on. I respected myself till i got to my final destination.

So depending on the usage, that would be the yardstick to determine if u need just a knockabout brand new car or a use high performance vehicle that would suit your 2.5-3.5M budget
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Fajzay: 6:55am On Dec 23, 2013
faakay: but do you know all know the risk of buying a used car at higher cost? when accident occurs or stolen? who will be responsible for the damages?

that means you will need to bear the cost because there's no warranty/insurance

but if you buy a brand new car, the company will ensure they service the car every month at no cost free of charge which will reduce cost of maintenance compared to used car.

there will also be warranty/insurance incase there's any accidental occurrence within a stipulated time given to you unlike the used ones.

you don't need to vent your frustration here because of your foolishness

this is a thread for open discussion and everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion.

lool

Either ur car is brand new or used, doesnt matter with insurance. They replace / pay u off if either is stolen. And talking about maintenance ... No one is asking you to go buy a wrecked / trashed used car. Get a nice one from the dealership or auction and U can be sure u dont have issues with your ride. Ve been using my MDX for like 5yrs now (was 3yrs old when it was bought) and I can tell you aside from the normal maintenance of oil, filter and brake pad change, the only thing that's been done inside that bonnet was change the power steering hose that busted last year and service the brake master this year and an alternator change.

And if you wanna be thinking of 1yr/2yr warranty thoughts, whats gonna happen after 2 yrs, sell off the car at almost half price and go get a new one?? Am not against new cars, if u have the dough to get the type dat serves it the function u need it for but its only economic sense to get a 1,2,3 or even 4yr old thats been decently used and for a highly reduced price
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Fajzay: 7:05am On Dec 23, 2013
Every_LadY: the responses so far goes a long way in showing the bunch of Nigerian mentality towards 2nd hand goods. Why is our country a dumping ground for mechanical /electronic and textile waste? simply because we do not have any more value for our dignity. Our new born babies are welcome to the world with 2nd hand clothes and some people tell me it lasts longer. what a thinf? Am an anti second hand wear of all type,be it car/cloth/electronics.... we can reshape our future with a change of our mind set.am sure some other Ngerians share same sentiment, no matter how small the percentage it must surely increase.

You talk like a novice, do you knw the difference between buying thigs on credit and making full payment. You talk about a Nigeria mentality of gunning for used things. Tell me what you want them to do when he/she has to pay 100% for everything, no even any line of credit and even if a bank gives u any credit, its a cut neck interest rate. Who doesn't like new things, but where do you want the common vulcanizer, mechanic, wheelbarrow pusher, plumber, traffic warden etc get all the money to buy his daily need / utilities new (not even talking about luxury now). We have to be very realistic here ... I can bet you if in the US they have to pay 100% for all they need on daily basis, half of the country would live on 2nd hand goods (be it anything) not to say a good number doesn't live on 2nd habd stuffs as we speak. so my dear, point of correction, this is not a Nigerian mentality ...
Or the house you are renting as we speak, is it new? Did someone not live there b4 u pack in

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by tck2000(m): 9:22am On Jul 05, 2019
Funny question

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu Endorses Ondo Auto Rally (Photos And Videos) / What Are Differences Between The 6-cylinder Engine And The V6 Engine? / Would One Be Arrested If Driving A Car With A Cracked Windscreen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.