Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,613 members, 7,955,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:40 PM

Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? (11878 Views)

Loan Incured Before Termination Of Appointment In The Bank:urgent Advice Needed / 90-Year-Old Asked To Bring 1950 Appointment Letter To Get Pension (Pictured) / Mass And Massive Resignation Of Appointment Hits Intercontinental Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 2:23am On Dec 20, 2013
Can a lady be denied of appointment letter because she is pregnant...if so is there any authority she can present her case. please advice.
Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by pragmatistm(m): 2:40am On Dec 20, 2013
chifreke: Can a lady be denied of appointment letter because she is pregnant...if so is there any authority she can present her case. please advice.
Thanks in anticipation.

Thats dicey. If a company needs to fill a position urgently & they think her pregnancy will hamper her job performance, she may be denied. No company is under any obligation to employ anybody whether preg woman or not.

But if the preg will not affect her job and she will not create a serious vacuum hard to fill after delivery, she should not be denied.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by castielo(m): 6:18am On Dec 20, 2013
In my opinion, a pregnant woman should be denied appointment letter. wat she needs is rest, not walking around n putting the baby at risk

3 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 7:20am On Dec 20, 2013
castielo: In my opinion, a pregnant woman should be denied appointment letter. wat she needs is rest, not walking around n putting the baby at risk
thanks i am expecting one....but a staff in d said company just to me that all has been concluded...but i must undergo medical tests and i have been jobless for long...am so confused.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chifreke(f): 7:23am On Dec 20, 2013
pragmatist_m:
Thats dicey. If a company needs to fill a position urgently & they think her pregnancy will hamper her job peeformance, she may be denied. No company is under any obligation to employ anybody whether preg woman or not.

But if the preg will not affect her job and she will not create a serious vacuum hard to fill after delivery, she should not be denied.
hmmmmmm...am feeling fit for the job...though it is a big company. i need the job..the staff told me a pregnant woman has not applied before....oh....pray i will be given

2 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by castielo(m): 8:43am On Dec 20, 2013
chifreke:
thanks i am expecting one....but a staff in d said company just to me that all has been concluded...but i must undergo medical tests and i have been jobless for long...am so confused.
Think of safety/health first then money later.. but if you can handle the stress you can go ahead. It depends on the kind of work sha.. if its office work where u sit all day, better. but then, a pregnant woman still needs enuf sleep/rest.

..and wat are your plans for post-delivery? U wan dey cari baby go work?
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by pragmatistm(m): 2:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
chifreke:
hmmmmmm...am feeling fit for the job...though it is a big company. i need the job..the staff told me a pregnant woman has not applied before....oh....pray i will be given
Hope you are not too heavy. How many months? grin grin. Well on a more serious note, if the company's management is gracious enough they will give you the job. Reason is that if you were a member of staff before you became pregnant, being preg will not be enough reason for relieving you of your appointment except there was a condition as to not become preg in your appointment letter.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
In Nigeria, yes. cry cry

Abroad, it is called discrimination and that is the last thing anyone here wants to be accused of.

Just ask Paula Dean grin

3 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by bulksms12(m): 4:39pm On Dec 20, 2013
Lol of cuz she can,some jobs are not fit for her
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 20, 2013
castielo: In my opinion, a pregnant woman should be denied appointment letter. wat she needs is rest, not walking around n putting the baby at risk

You are what is wrong with the world today. cry cry

No wonder Naija is a hopeless place. I hope you never attain any position of authority. cry

3 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by DICKtator: 4:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
I SURELY expect a pregnant woman to deliver before embarking on work. The stress and the maternity leave that would make her compulsorily absent most of the time would slow down the work process of the organization.

You mean as soon as she is employed,the coy should start seeking for a reliever, then get to pay her for all those periods that she goes on leave?

It would be unwise to employ a visibly pregnant woman.

grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:43pm On Dec 20, 2013
It depends on how heavy you are.

Nobody wants to hire anybody today only for the person to go on 3 months leave barely 4 months after! I wouldn't do that if I were your prospective boss.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude: In Nigeria, yes. cry cry

Abroad, it is called discrimination and that is the last thing anyone here wants to be accused of.

Just ask Paula Dean grin

Even abroad sef. If she's too heavy they will turn her down.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:45pm On Dec 20, 2013
Yes.
Expecially if the pregnancy has shown well.
Why should I stress a heavy pregnant woman who may deliver the next day. Its only early stage pregnancy like 1 to 3 months that's still understandable.
Most employers ll be turned off when they see pot belly. Expecially if she's to resume immediately. They ll doubt her strength.
Most company CEO consider what a employee ll add to the company before employing them.
Last Bullet:
I know a man that always get irritated when his female staff get pregnant. He always complain that they are sluggish, they ll take maternity leave, how is he going to cope with no work but pay.
But to be fair, a pregnant woman (if it's not up to 6 months) can be employed to companies that produce light goods like beverages, noodles etc or just office work.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
Sweetlemon:

Even abroad sef. If she's too heavy they will turn her down.

That is if she is too heavy. And no, they won't turn her down. They would place it on hold. And it depends on the industry.

Moreover the OP didn't say she was heavy.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by extremelygolden: 4:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
It depends on the organization, anyway. But it is not right to deny a pregnant woman an employment,
especially when she has all the criteria for the position she applied for. That will be an infringement on
her right. But for health reason, it is adviseable for her to start work when she has put to bed.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by checkiez: 4:48pm On Dec 20, 2013
In life anything can happen? If you had asked why then my response would have been "as a result of her condition" which of course can hinder her from performing whatever duties been assigned optimally.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:52pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

That is if she is too heavy. And no, they won't turn her down. They would place it on hold. And it depends on the industry.

Moreover the OP didn't say she was heavy.

It depends on the company, if there are others in line waiting for the job, and how urgent the vacancy is. They can't keep everyone waiting for months before they fill an urgent vacancy! haba!
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by unmask: 4:58pm On Dec 20, 2013
just look at laws from other countries.....if their laws are going right then Nigeria's own is heading left
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 20, 2013
Sweetlemon:

It depends on the company, if there are others in line waiting for the job, and how urgent the vacancy is. They can't keep everyone waiting for months before they fill an urgent vacancy! haba!

I thought I said that dear undecided
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by checkdate(m): 5:13pm On Dec 20, 2013
PLEASE WHY DO YOU ASK ?

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Theben(m): 5:15pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ogbeni go and se the oyun.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Smilenw(f): 5:37pm On Dec 20, 2013
chifreke: Can a lady be denied of appointment letter because she is pregnant...if so is there any authority she can present her case. please advice.
Thanks in anticipation.

Jeez lady ! Somebody who has been jobless for sometime lands up a good job, and then goes ahead to get pregnant without much planning about her career. What surprised me was that even before she is hired she wants to file a suit against them ?! (unless my understanding of her looking for an "authority that can take her case" means something else)
While you are at it, why don't you drag all those who denied you a job to the court of law ?

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 20, 2013
See another one.

naso your nama abort you when you dey her womb because of job lipsrsealed
Theben: Ogbeni go and se the oyun.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by LasBonBoi: 5:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
It may be very difficult to prove she was denied due to pregnancy.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by chii8(f): 6:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
Smilenw:

Jeez lady ! Somebody who has been jobless for sometime lands up a good job, and then goes ahead to get pregnant without much planning about her career. What surprised me was that even before she is hired she wants to file a suit against them ?! (unless my understanding of her looking for an "authority that can take her case" means something else)
While you are at it, why don't you drag all those who denied you a job to the court of law ?

my dear,she was already pregnat before she got the job,or would you have advised she abort the pregnacy cos of her career?
My dear poster,ur baby first oooo,a lot of pple v spent so much for it,dnt stress dat innocent cutie down there,if its God's will ur real job wl com afta delivery
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Saraha1(f): 6:55pm On Dec 20, 2013
my dear,she was already pregnat before she got the job,or would you have advised she abort the pregnacy cos of her career?
You should have ignore the over sabi fellow since he could not use his number six to interpret what the op wrote.
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by castielo(m): 6:57pm On Dec 20, 2013
pDude:

You are what is wrong with the world today. cry cry

No wonder Naija is a hopeless place. I hope you never attain any position of authority. cry
I cud av replied you.. but you are an imbëcile.. an imbēcile is retārded.. so i'll just ignore you.. no point wasting words
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by britiko: 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2013
For most companies, u can't go on either annual or maternity leave untill a year after your employment. So you might be denied indirectly if u av to take the medical test and they discover.

1 Like

Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Kjking(m): 7:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
Thanks in anticipation.
well for me, i'll say it depends on d stage of d pregnancy, if she's rili heavy den she shud be denied, if she is in her early stage, she shudn't if she's qualified. The company needs ur full concentrantion n tym, dats wat dae pay u for. Wen u cnt meet ds demands of d company, den ur not fit to work der
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Smilenw(f): 7:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
[b][/b]
Sarah a:

You should have ignore the over sabi fellow since he could not use his number six to interpret what the op wrote.

Wait...are you talking about me ?? Where did I even mention abortion ??! From my understanding she applied after confirming her pregnancy...or fell pregnant soon after applying. Unless OP comes here to clear this misunderstanding And next time read the posts well before name calling:/

chifreke:
Re: Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter? by Sammiejo: 7:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
@OP have no fear, standard employment medical tests do not include a pregnancy test. Except you are very large there is no need to be alarmed. Those tests are mainly to establish a health baseline and identify if you have communicable diseases.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benue Civil Servants Shun Offices Over Six Months Salary Arrears / 5 Reasons Why You Deserve A Work Spouse / Nigerian Workers Spend 65% Of Salary On Foods – UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.