Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment (2752 Views)

Free Guide On How To Start Popcorn Buzines, What You Need And How Profitable It / How Profitable Is Rental Business? / How Profitable Is Bakery Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 7:59am On Dec 21, 2013
Compliments of the season to you all.

I will like to know how profitable is this business and the challenges also as I plan to open it in a university. I already have the machines given to me by a company.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by bfmconcepts: 4:40pm On Dec 26, 2013
Nice idea,
but you have to run the business by yourself and you must be hardworking
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Monarchmindset(m): 12:07am On Dec 27, 2013
Ask mchief
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 11:22am On Dec 27, 2013
bfmconcepts: Nice idea,
but you have to run the business by yourself and you must be hardworking
thanks, I won't be able to run it myself. I plan to put someone and do little supervision.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 11:23am On Dec 27, 2013
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 11:23am On Dec 27, 2013
Monarchmindset: Ask mchief
please who is mchief?
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
I have a very rich knowledge and experience in the business in a university setting. Before answering your question, pls give further information on these:
1. Will it be located inside or close to the university?
2. Are you a student of the university?
3. Have u made enquiries from people doing similar business in and around the university?
4. Is it a university with hostels or the one with students staying outside campus?
5. If u are a student of the institution, what level are u?
6. Which university are we talking about?
Answer these and subsequent questions, then I will guide you.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 5:36pm On Dec 27, 2013
@obasy09
1.it will be located inside the school

2.I'm a student

3.No,this is my first enquiry.

4.Both

5.In my finals

6.I will like to keep this private.

thanks...
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
Input: @obasy09
1.it will be located inside the school

2.I'm a student

3.No,this is my first enquiry.

4.Both

5.In my finals

6.I will like to keep this private.

thanks...

Well, with these answers, you have a brighter chance of success.
If the population of students is ok, the most important determinants of success is the COMPUTER OPERATOR. Once you make mistake with this, the biz is dead on arrival.
Qualities to look for:
- Very fast typing speed (at least, 50 WPM)
_ Friendliness and ability to patiently listen to customer's job description and complaints
- Is he/she an organised person?
- Is he/she brilliant and honest?
- Don't worry about paying him/her much once she has the aforementioned qualities.
- Split his/her salary into two: one fixed, other commission based on sales.
-Give her free hand to operate with minimum guidance
Another thing is that you must have idea how to fix software problem and little knowledge of hardware (or else, those engineers may reap u off).
- you must do marketing yourself to fellow students
- You can get lecture notes typed and sell it during exams (at the same price as photocopy price, put the name of your biz centre & location, phone no on every page).
Other ideas ... Loading

Buy new generator
Never use road-side engine oil (Use mobil super xhp)
Never bend your gen. Always buy sufficient fuel (Apart from Operator, the next thing that can make or mar u is your gen unless you have stable electricity supply)
There are new types of copier/printer/scanner machine (laser) that are rugged, rather than the fragile old ones that make all the money and collect it back in a blink.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by confluence: 6:18am On Dec 28, 2013
@obasy09, i would like your opinion on student project typing, am currently working on how to handle student project for about 400 - 500 students per session but want to use technology where i will just collect the project from the student and scan it such that it can be turn into editable text ,i did not want to use any typist for this job.please share your idea on this if you understand what i mean
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 7:09am On Dec 28, 2013
@obasy09,thank you very much

I hope to get the best hand for the job as I will go scout for those girls already working with someone and pay her well.
The generator I have is brand new and I will use the prescribed engine oil.
The student population is OK....

What is the range of fixed salary I can pay?

One more thing, I do have the impression that this business is not well profitable as making photocopy is just #5 and you have to buy ink,paper, fuel,pay rent and other miscellaneous expenses. I will like to know how much I will be able to save at the end of the month after all expenses.

Thank you once again.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 7:51am On Dec 28, 2013
confluence: @obasy09, i would like your opinion on student project typing, am currently working on how to handle student project for about 400 - 500 students per session but want to use technology where i will just collect the project from the student and scan it such that it can be turn into editable text ,i did not want to use any typist for this job.please share your idea on this if you understand what i mean

Brilliant! However, not all scanners can scan editable document. You can not depend entirely on the scanner because error do occur ( most especially with tables and formulas) that will make ducument scanned to look like junks. The best thing to do is to scan the plain text pages and type the rest. Besides, if you want the scanner to perform effectively at all times, dusts must be prevented from settling down on the scanner (by thorough cleaning and covering), or else my brother, you may hate the job that you labour so much to do with the scanner.
B4 I forget scanning editable document is only good for typed and neet document.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 28, 2013
confluence: @obasy09, i would like your opinion on student project typing, am currently working on how to handle student project for about 400 - 500 students per session but want to use technology where i will just collect the project from the student and scan it such that it can be turn into editable text ,i did not want to use any typist for this job.please share your idea on this if you understand what i mean

Brilliant! However, not all scanners can scan editable document. You can not depend entirely on the scanner because error do occur ( most especially with tables and formulas) that will make document scanned to look like junks. The best thing to do is to scan the plain text pages and type the rest. Besides, if you want the scanner to perform effectively at all times, dusts must be prevented from settling down on the scanner glass (by thorough cleaning and covering), or else my brother, you may hate the job that you labour so much to do with the scanner.
B4 I forget, scanning editable document is only good for typed and neat document.
Another thing is that you need to fortify your computer with enough fonts (yes, varieties of fonts) for best performance of editable scanning.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 28, 2013
Input: @obasy09,thank you very much

I hope to get the best hand for the job as I will go scout for those girls already working with someone and pay her well.
The generator I have is brand new and I will use the prescribed engine oil.
The student population is OK....

What is the range of fixed salary I can pay?

One more thing, I do have the impression that this business is not well profitable as making photocopy is just #5 and you have to buy ink,paper, fuel,pay rent and other miscellaneous expenses. I will like to know how much I will be able to save at the end of the month after all expenses.

Thank you once again.

-There is no fixed amount, do little survey among your competitors (codedly) to determine the amount they pay and make sure you pay something better on the condition that the person you are hiring is better than most of the operators.
- #5 is ok if you can get a good number of students to patronise you on daily basis. Students are heavy photocopy makers. Besides, sometimes the photocopy is just to attract and retain customers while u make ur money from other services. The higher the students population, the better for your business if the price charged is low (eg #5 per copy).
Have you looked into data coding and analysis as combo with the business center? Depending on the university, cool money may await you. This is a money spinning area. In fact, I earn my living mainly from that source tongue .
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Input(m): 8:52am On Dec 28, 2013
Thank you very much obasy, I appreciate.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by bfmconcepts: 10:29am On Dec 28, 2013
obasy09:

Well, with these answers, you have a brighter chance of success.
If the population of students is ok, the most important determinants of success is the COMPUTER OPERATOR. Once you make mistake with this, the biz is dead on arrival.
Qualities to look for:
- Very fast typing speed (at least, 50 WPM)
_ Friendliness and ability to patiently listen to customer's job description and complaints
- Is he/she an organised person?
- Is he/she brilliant and honest?
- Don't worry about paying him/her much once she has the aforementioned qualities.
- Split his/her salary into two: one fixed, other commission based on sales.
-Give her free hand to operate with minimum guidance
Another thing is that you must have idea how to fix software problem and little knowledge of hardware (or else, those engineers may reap u off).
- you must do marketing yourself to fellow students
- You can get lecture notes typed and sell it during exams (at the same price as photocopy price, put the name of your biz centre & location, phone no on every page).
Other ideas ... Loading

Buy new generator
Never use road-side engine oil (Use mobil super xhp)
Never bend your gen. Always buy sufficient fuel (Apart from Operator, the next thing that can make or mar u is your gen unless you have stable electricity supply)
There are new types of copier/printer/scanner machine (laser) that are rugged, rather than the fragile old ones that make all the money and collect it back in a blink.

This is a complete technical advice.
I just pray you'll be able to find honest person.
Running this kind of business without your involvement is risky
Unless you're ready to make it big in such a way that you can employ a supervisor/cashier
Another thing is that you can lease the facility to an expert. With this, you have nothing to worry about and nothing to lose.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by confluence: 10:39am On Dec 28, 2013
@obasy09, thanks for the advice, i would upload or show u some gadgets am trying to get to get the job done
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
Make sure that ur gen can conveniently carry all your gadgets.
Re: How Profitable Is A Computer Center In A School Environment by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
bfmconcepts:

This is a complete technical advice.
I just pray you'll be able to find honest person.
Running this kind of business without your involvement is risky
Unless you're ready to make it big in such a way that you can employ a supervisor/cashier
Another thing is that you can lease the facility to an expert. With this, you have nothing to worry about and nothing to lose.
You may also follow the bolded but with solid agreement. Best of luck.

(1) (Reply)

How To Use A Simple Blog To Increase Your Sales On Fiverr! / Lets Help You Start Your Company Today- It's Easy... / How Do I Invest 1.8 Million Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.