Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective (8590 Views)

Kill Bill Vo.1 - Philosophical Edition? / Let's Talk About Love. / Let's Talk About Sex (by Pastor E. A. Adeboye) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 12:55am On Dec 27, 2013
TV01: Holá everyone, hope merry x-masses were had by all.

Ihedinobi, how far? Hope all's well.

Ihedinobi has run from his thread. I'll be your tormentor for the rest of it.

TV01:
Let me start from the end. No, I don't think that I have or should have more rights than a "gay person", Neither do I think that just because a person practices a certain type of intimate behaviour, he/she should be ascribed a set of rights over and above my rights or generic human rights.

How does a gay person having the right to have mean they have a set of rights that you don't have?

TV01:
And I laugh at the hypocrisy that says rights should be ascribed to "gays" on the basis of their proclivities, but not to others on the basis of theirs; to wit polygamists, zoophiliacs, paedophiles etc.

The rights aren't assigned on the basis of their "proclivities", but on the basis that they're adult humans.

TV01:
There are in truth only human rights, applicable to all. I would make exceptions for the vulnerable, i.e. children, the disabled, but other than that no "special or protected interests". The whole notion of gay rights is simply a contrivance to impose the perversion.

And the point is consistently overlooked, that whatever the legalities or definition, there are some who will always count sodomy as as abominable, deviant, degrading, immoral or simply disordered. You cannot re-define or legislate away issues of morality, which is what is being attempted here.

Are you seriously suggesting that because some view sodomy as immoral and what not, gay people must not be allowed to get married? How about lesbians? And heterosexuals who practice sodomy? Should their bedrooms be policed to ensure that they have intercourse the right way?

TV01:
It does not fall at all, let alone flat. Neither has your rebuttal actually said anything. If something is re-defined in such a way that it loses it's essence, it's not being simply re-defined, it's being destroyed. A re-definition should not vary anything that is fundamental to what a thing is in essence, otherwise it ceases to be, or is rendered useless.

So far example "adulthood", being mentally and physically able to engage as an adult is it's essence, being impossible before puberty. If we move the adulthood bar to a pre-pubertal age, we render the term useless.

What then is the essence of marriage?

TV01:
Re-defining marriage to include a pair that are 1. not opposite sex, 2. cannot procreate in principle or in practice means it is no longer marriage as we have historically and anthropologically understood it. It becomes something else. And for everyone. To make it work for "gays", it ceases to work for anyone. Rights? No, it's about redefining the immoral as moral.

How does two adult women getting married stop marriage from working for anyone else? Marriage is neither moral nor immoral so you're merely confused about that.

TV01:
The concepts of adultery and consummation have also to be stripped out of marriage' essence, as both are simply nonsensical in a same-sex pairing.

How are they nonsensical?

TV01:
And from a canonical Christian perspective, whether you redefine (marriage), or recreate (civil unions), sin remains sin.

Then you would do well to realize that the country isn't being run from a canonical Christian perspective.

TV01:
1. An arrangement where two people who just "want to spend the rest of their lives together", needs no legal codification or societal endorsement. If that's all it was, we would not have evolved anything even like marriage. We - being society - take an interest in this type of arrangement solely due to the procreative possibility. That's the whole point.

False. If that were the case, then we won't allow old people to get married. Neither would we allow marriage without first testing the fertility of the couples involved.

TV01:
2. Even if there are no offspring - by design or default - the principle holds, an opposite sex pairing is the basis for procreation and the best setting for nurturing children.

If there can be no offspring, then your principle doesn't hold.

TV01:
3. Orphaned or abandoned/unwanted kids would be best served by placing them with a male/female pairing in every which way. We should encourage and if expedient incentivise this. Neither bad opposite couples or demoniosing them, makes a case for same-sex ones.

How exactly do you know that only this male/female pairing works?

TV01:
4. You may ask whatever you please, it changes the basis of this discussion not a wit. Two fathers or two mothers in lieu of an opposite sex parent in not "normal".

Then what is "normal"? Is a situation with one black father and an asian mother "normal"?

TV01:
I said that the voice of the religious is every bit as valid as any other in a democracy. I did not prescribe a theocratic state. Scarecrow grin!

If "homosexuality" is right and good and proper, it follows that it has every right to be celebrated as any other legitimate lifestyle/sexuall expression.

In one breath you claim rights for sodomites, in another you deny them for legitimate minorities in a democratic setting?

How does allowing homosexuals get married deny anyone else their rights?

TV01:
However old or new a descriptive word is, is not the point. If a language construct changes the essence of a thing, we need to ask why. Coining the word "homosexual" and as a contradistinction to heterosexual, suggests there are two types of human being? It's a contrivance and a lie. We only have male/female. To accept otherwise is to accept that a peadophile or polygamist is a "different type" also, as opposed to the same with different desires or inclinations. To normalise the deviancy called sodomy, they have to de-construct and reconstruct language.

This paragraph is devoid of meaning.

TV01:
Any human that engages in carpentry will use their hands though, not so? Unless of course they don't have any. All humans (bar outliers) can procreate and all do so in only one way. NO rights are being infringed on keeping marriage as it is. Contrary to what some incredulously believe, marriage was not instituted to infringe anyones rights and not based on what one likes to do with their members, but the real and required outcome of procreative coupling.

Sexual design and functionality are clear. Desire is an amalgam of a number of factors, but where its manifestation is at odds with design and functionality, then there is obviously something amiss.

So no rights are being infringed when Mr. A can get married to another adult that he likes but Mrs. B can't get married to an adult that she likes? Maybe you're merely confused about what is under consideration.

TV01:
I believe I have talked this point to exhaustion. Procreation in principle even if not in practice gives us the essence of marriage and anchors it's societal utility. Even if not in practice, it remains the ideal setting and kids can be adopted. Even if not in practice, it re-enforces the notion. It works perfectly and at minimal cost to and with minimal intervention by society.

Wrong. Procreation is not the essence of marriage. Merely declaring it to be the case doesn't make it so.

TV01:
Sodomy is all about sex. There are lots of same couple relationships - two brothers or sisters, very good/close friends etc. - who could claim exactly the same arrangement as homosexuals - just without the physical intimacy. We do not say they should be married. Any arrangement they wish to make can be contracted privately. It requires no state intervention as it has little if any societal benefit.

TV

This paragraph to is just confused. No one is asking you to marry gay people. Gay people simply want the same right to be married that other people have. Nothing more.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Redlyn: 1:57am On Dec 27, 2013
TV01:
Firstly we should ask what is marriage? And secondly what constitutes a right, or at least this particular one?
Simply put, marriage is and has always been the commitment between a man and a woman. It was never ever predicated on one's "sexual orientation" - whatever that is claimed to be, or however you "self-identify".

Yes, and things change. Slavery and apartheid also get abolished. We evolve closer and closer towards true equality and freedom for all humans.
We challenge the traditional to improve the quality of life for all.

TV01:
"Homosexuals are not denied the same right as any other person - the right to marry a member of the opposite sex.
Anthropologically, there would be no need for marriage if children - the natural outcome - were not in view. To extend "marriage" as we know it to homosexuals, we have to change what marriage is. It becomes merely the validation of desire between adults (which as has been pointed out is hypocrisy by Western nations as Polygamy is consensual, but they are not clamouring for that - yet?). We don't need to enshrine that in law or institutionalise it. If that was all marriage represented, it simply wouldn't have come into existence.

Are you saying reproduction is the only reason for marriage? Any heterosexual can get married whether or not they can reproduce, how come reproduction suddenly enters the argument for homosexuals. Homosexuals want to marry for the same reasons old people want to marry.

TV01:
It also denies children the right to be raised by their biological parents, which is codified by the UN. Rights jam rights?

Heterosexuals can adopt kids, a lot of these are orphans or unwanted children anyway. So why the hypocrisy? If you want to debate I think you need to find things that are unique to homosexuality otherwise it is pointless all this special pleading.

TV01:
Firstly here, true faith colours and motivates everything one does, to divorce one's faith from ones politics, is to divorce oneself from said faith. Please take stock here. And the Christian worldview has as much right to inform public policy as any other.
It does I agree, but you must realise the world / country is not christian so you should not necessarily outlaw these kinds of victimless social issues. No one is asking you to like it, but to tolerate it as the world is diverse and the freedom of all humans should be promoted as much as possible. The worst countries in quality of life and most human rights violations are the most intolerant countries.

TV01:
Further it has been shown that this "practice", is not biologically pre-determined (any more than any other sexual deviancy). Regardless of that fact, indulging in sodomy is a choice.
Marriage has a definite purpose. Varying it to validate deviant sexual practice is deleterious, through whatever perspective one views it. In regards to my earlier poser of rights jam rights, it's not. It's really adult desires trumping childrens right.
No rights are being denied anyone, what is being sought is endorsement of deviant behaviour - by legally codifying and enforcing a gutted form of marriage - and ultimately silencing of any dissenting voices.

You dont like it? Very simple, dont be homosexual.

TV01:
Dressing this up in the language of rights equality, tolerance, etc. is bull. There is no plausible argument for sodomy, sodomitic, marriage or sodomitic adoption. Anthropologically it is deviant and deleterious. From a Christian point of view it's simply immoral
Please take heed, while you are busy divorcing your faith and politics (both of which you are in error), they will try and forcibly separate you from your faith.

What about lesbians is it ok if there is no sodomy? Is that the issue? Call it deviant all you like, doesnt change the fact that it is just 2 consenting adults living their life in love. They are living this gay life with or without a marriage license. But there is no reason why we should deny those couples the same rights to inherit property or make medical decisions etc for the person they have spent 30 years with. No need for you to interfere in this. You are able to live your own life as you see fit. Equality and freedom for all not tyranny of the majority imposing your christian views on everyone.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 2:06am On Dec 27, 2013
thehomer: Ihedinobi has run from his thread.
Maybe you're inanity drove him away grin!

thehomer: I'll be your tormentor for the rest of it.
lipsrsealed

thehomer: How does a gay person having the right to have mean they have a set of rights that you don't have?
"Gays" are pushing for rights based solely on their sexual inclinations and have already achieved "protected class" status in some jurisdictions. And they are able to legally force others to participate in their perversions as a result. They do not just have rights that non-gays don't have, their so called gay rights also compromise the religious rights that non-gays have.

thehomer: The rights aren't assigned on the basis of their "proclivities", but on the basis that they're adult humans.
So rights are as a result of adulthood? Guess that precludes children huh?

thehomer: Are you seriously suggesting that because some view sodomy as immoral and what not, gay people must not be allowed to get married? How about lesbians? And heterosexuals who practice sodomy? Should their bedrooms be policed to ensure that they have intercourse the right way?
Marriage is not about attractions or sexual proclivities, it's about the outcome of procreative intercourse, which can only be engaged in by an opposite sex pairing.

thehomer: What then is the essence of marriage?
I've written two posts which clearly outline what I think it is. Please re-read. If you disagree please feel free to explicate what you think the essence of marriage is.

thehomer: How does two adult women getting married stop marriage from working for anyone else? Marriage is neither moral nor immoral so you're merely confused about that
For that to happen - and the marriage to be in all ways the same and equal to an opposite sex marriage - the essence of marriage has to be changed. Children and the benefits to them and society that underscore marriage have to be expunged from its definition. It has as to be re-defined. What I have - as a man - with my wife, is in no way the same or equal to a same sex pairing.

thehomer: How are they nonsensical?
A same sex couple cannot sexually consummate and adultery in it's historic sense cannot apply to them. For same sex and opposite sex unions to be "the same", these two aspects have to be removed, as does the basis of a procreative possibility.

thehomer: Then you would do well to realize that the country isn't being run from a canonical Christian perspective.
I never said it was or that it should be, merely re-stating the Christian - and morality based on the Christian - view.

thehomer: False. If that were the case, then we won't allow old people to get married. Neither would we allow marriage without first testing the fertility of the couples involved.
I've explained this. The principle remains in place. Procreative potential is inherent in an opposite sex union. It is not even a remote possibility in a same-sex one.

thehomer: If there can be no offspring, then your principle doesn't hold.
You'll need to understand the difference between principle and discrete instances in practice if you are going to "torment" me cheesy.

thehomer: How exactly do you know that only this male/female pairing works?
No one is stopping you from showing another

thehomer: Then what is "normal"? Is a situation with one black father and an asian mother "normal"?
Some turkeys survived x-mas huh? Marriage is not about sexual proclivities, colour, height or any other characteristics (except the normal age, consanguinity etc. restrictions). It's male/female.

thehomer: How does allowing homosexuals get married deny anyone else their rights?
For that to happen, marriage has to be gutted and it's societal utility regards children and their rights and best interests ignored. Keep shouting rights, but ignore those of children. It's child abuse and despicably so, as it's merely to satisfy adult desire, whatever ones view on the morality of that desire.

thehomer:
This paragraph is devoid of meaning.
Like sodomitic marriage then?

thehomer: So no rights are being infringed when Mr. A can get married to another adult that he likes but Mrs. B can't get married to an adult that she likes? Maybe you're merely confused about what is under consideration.
Both Mr. A and Miss. B are allowed to marry members of the opposite sex. No rights are being infringed.

thehomer: Wrong. Procreation is not the essence of marriage. Merely declaring it to be the case doesn't make it so.
Pray tell what is. Please explain how it came to be through pretty much all societies through all of human history? Just to deny sodomites? Due too heterosexual animus towards homosexuals? Please tell us what the essence of marriage is?

thehomer: This paragraph to is just confused. No one is asking you to marry gay people. Gay people simply want the same right to be married that other people have. Nothing more.
They already have that. The right is to marry someone of the opposite sex. That is what marriage is, is for and what constitutes it's essence. Marriage has nothing to do with who you are attracted to or how you engage sexually.

If you do respond, please bring something a little more palatable. I don't do turkey leftovers. Not tormented, merely irked by the unthinking blindness and banality of your trite posers.

Cluck, cluck

TV

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 2:40am On Dec 27, 2013
Redlyn: Yes, and things change. Slavery and apartheid also get abolished. We evolve closer and closer towards true equality and freedom for all humans. We challenge the traditional to improve the quality of life for all.
Gutting marriage so sodomites can partake is not progress. Diminishing marriage for the 98%+ to make it equal for the tiny minority is not equality. Challenging is not necessarily improving and the traditional is not necessarily wrong or bad. Sodomites are free to practice sodomy. Marriage has endured through anthropological history due to it's benefit to society.

Redlyn: Are you saying reproduction is the only reason for marriage? Any heterosexual can get married whether or not they can reproduce, how come reproduction suddenly enters the argument for homosexuals. Homosexuals want to marry for the same reasons old people want to marry.
Please, please, please. I just ate boxing day dinner, that doesn't even bear thinking about angry. The reproductive principle is at the heart of what marriage is for. It is absent with gay couples, therefore marriage is simply not in view for them.

Redlyn: Heterosexuals can adopt kids, a lot of these are orphans or unwanted children anyway. So why the hypocrisy? If you want to debate I think you need to find things that are unique to homosexuality otherwise it is pointless all this special pleading.
A male/female union is the best and setting for raising kids. No gainsaying, no hypocrisy. That's the whole point,there is nothing about homosexuality that demands marriage, It's the sodomites who are making the special plea, to be included based on their inclinations, when it's their inclinations that make it a non-starter for them. Sodomites have the exact same functionality that normal people have, they just choose to use it differently, hence rejecting marriage in its essence. The plea for it is to normalise their disordered behaviour - instead of their normalising the use of their natural functionality - and force its moral acceptance on the vast majority that consider it disordered at best

Redlyn: It does I agree, but you must realise the world / country is not christian so you should not necessarily outlaw these kinds of victimless social issues. No one is asking you to like it, but to tolerate it as the world is diverse and the freedom of all humans should be promoted as much as possible. The worst countries in quality of life and most human rights violations are the most intolerant countries.
We don't persecute it, but neither do we recognise it as marriage, as it simply cannot be. And don't label it victimless. Moral questions aside, it carries a cost to society and the individuals. Deny it at your peril.

The health implications and attendant costs to society are disproportionately high and the lifestyle egregious. The following link is to the memeorial page of a renowned gay chorale. Click on a few, the vast majority die relatively young - and in the west for that matter. http://turtlecreek.org/index.php?/memorial/. It's not victimless or cost free and pushing it using high profile celebs or funky portrayals in the media does not change that.

Redlyn: You dont like it? Very simple, dont be homosexual.
That would be plausible in a sense. However once codified legally, it will be pushed as moral and good and outright championed by the state and all its arms and wherever it has influence. Schools are now obliged to portray homosexuality and the lifestyle as wholesome and proper and on a par with normal opposite sex unions. And to young and vulnerable children. It is no longer personal or private and those that don't like or want it are having it forced on them. It can only lead to conflict. Everyone and everything is being gradually homosexualised.

Redlyn: What about lesbians is it ok if there is no sodomy? You are just saying you dont like it. Call it deviant all you like, doesnt change the fact that it is just 2 consenting adults living their life in love. No need for you to interfere in this. You are able to live your own life as you see fit. Equality and freedom for all not tyranny of the majority imposing your christian views on everyone.
First read my response above, second sodomy covers all same sex sexual activity, thirdly a same sex pairing is not equal to an opposite sex union. What is being pursued is conformity not equality.

No to ssmarriage no to ssadoption.

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Redlyn: 3:27am On Dec 27, 2013
Diminishing marriage - This is a baseless argument. Because of consummation? Nothing is diminished never mind gutted. Consummation will always remain for heterosexuals even if it is amended for homosexuals. I know change is hard to accept, especially amongst the older generation.

Reproductive principle -This is convenient for you because it fits your argument even though ability to reproduce is not a requirement for any hetero marriage. There is no reason to stick to this principle except just because you want to, to add weight to another empty argument.

You say there is nothing about homosexuality that demands marriage. That demonstrates you have no idea what rights spouses have in a marriage if you have no understanding why a homosexual couple would want those rights. To you it is just about deviant sex. You really dont get it.

Vast Majority die young is another baseless statement plucked from thin air to suit your argument.

Uganda and Canada, one with life imprisonment and the other with gay marriage, two different societies. I guess one must be completely destroyed by the homosexualization of the nation with all children perverted and displaying homosexual tendencies. and the other radiating in wholesomeness. You be the judge.

"A same sex pairing is not equal to an opposite sex union. What is being pursued is conformity not equality."
Not equal according to you, based on nothing, just because you said so. OK.

We wont agree, but based on these type of empty arguments its obvious why ssm will keep gaining ground worldwide.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 3:54am On Dec 27, 2013
All the arguments – non of which are remotely plausible - for SSM can be summed up thus;

1. Homosexuals are humans, humans have the right to marry, therefore homosexuals can marry OR

2. Homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals, therefore if heterosexuals have the right to marry, so do homosexuals

To both those I respond as follows;

Marriage and the right to marry are not predicated on sexual orientation, inclination or proclivity. It is pitiful and speaks volumes that all homosexual positions are sex-led and inclination-driven. For the same reason it is also a contrivance to claim marriage is based on animus against homosexuals or denies them rights.

Indeed, it is fairer to say that homosexuals by dint of a disordered appreciation of their God given - or natural if you prefer - endowments reject marriage and eschew the rights freely available to them.

Marriage has always been a male/female pairing, as it’s the potential procreative outcome of this binary model that satisfies a societal need, thereby engendering support and institutionalisation by society.

Remove that in principle and all you are left with is feelings and/or sex. Pray tell, why does that warrant societal endorsement and support, let alone institutionalisation?

Hypocrisy to boot. If all of this is based on notions of equality, tolerance and freedoms, why is the struggle not for marriage to be redefined to capture all possible kinds of consenting adult arrangements? Why are homosexuals denying rights to others?

Are polygamists not deserving? What of polyamorists? How about a bisexual variant or inclusion for paedophiles - we can simply be creative with the age of consent, as is being done in some jurisdictions? And feelings/intimacy for/with animals can't be discounted as has been touched upon, especially if there is no discernable harm or even evident pleasure - on the part of the animal that is tongue!

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 7:15am On Dec 27, 2013
TV01: Maybe you're inanity drove him away grin!

lipsrsealed

"Gays" are pushing for rights based solely on their sexual inclinations and have already achieved "protected class" status in some jurisdictions. And they are able to legally force others to participate in their perversions as a result. They do not just have rights that non-gays don't have, their so called gay rights also compromise the religious rights that non-gays have.

You're merely confused. What do you think gay rights refer to? How does gay rights mean that a gay person can force someone who isn't gay to have intercourse with them?

TV01:
So rights are as a result of adulthood? Guess that precludes children huh?

No, what I'm referring to are the rights we're talking about i.e the right to get married.

TV01:
Marriage is not about attractions or sexual proclivities, it's about the outcome of procreative intercourse, which can only be engaged in by an opposite sex pairing.

That is clearly wrong since fertility tests aren't performed before allowing couples to get married. Neither are sterilized people prevented from getting married.

TV01:
I've written two posts which clearly outline what I think it is. Please re-read. If you disagree please feel free to explicate what you think the essence of marriage is.

If you mean childbirth, then I've explained my disagreement. If it is something else, please state what it is in a single line.

TV01:
For that to happen - and the marriage to be in all ways the same and equal to an opposite sex marriage - the essence of marriage has to be changed. Children and the benefits to them and society that underscore marriage have to be expunged from its definition. It has as to be re-defined. What I have - as a man - with my wife, is in no way the same or equal to a same sex pairing.

Who put children in the definition of marriage? It looks like you're making up your own definition. Secondly, how does what gay people do actually affect your marriage? How does allowing women to vote stop men from voting?

TV01:
A same sex couple cannot sexually consummate and adultery in it's historic sense cannot apply to them. For same sex and opposite sex unions to be "the same", these two aspects have to be removed, as does the basis of a procreative possibility.

Procreation isn't the aim of marriage. Merely declaring that homosexuals can't have sex tells me that you don't know what sexual intercourse is. Here's a definition for you.

TV01:
I never said it was or that it should be, merely re-stating the Christian - and morality based on the Christian - view.

What is the point of stating it when it doesn't apply to the country?

TV01:
I've explained this. The principle remains in place. Procreative potential is inherent in an opposite sex union. It is not even a remote possibility in a same-sex one.

No you've not. You've merely asserted it but the fact that some people physically cannot have sex means that your assertion doesn't help you. There are other ways of having children. From adoption to surrogacy.

TV01:
You'll need to understand the difference between principle and discrete instances in practice if you are going to "torment" me cheesy.

Looks to me like you're the one who doesn't understand what a principle is. If your principle is violated by an example, then it opens the way to other violations.

TV01:
No one is stopping you from showing another

Well, I'm showing you the homosexual pairing.

TV01:
Some turkeys survived x-mas huh? Marriage is not about intimate proclivities, colour, height or any other characteristics (except the normal age, consanguinity etc. restrictions). It's male/female.

Looks to me like you're still confused. Why shouldn't inter racial marriage be considered as being not normal?

TV01:
For that to happen, marriage has to be gutted and it's societal utility regards children and their rights and best interests ignored. Keep shouting rights, but ignore those of children. It's child abuse and despicably so, as it's merely to satisfy adult desire, whatever ones view on the morality of that desire.

What societal utility? You do realize that people can have children without marriage so your argument of just think of the children doesn't work. Declaring that it is child abuse doesn't work unless you can show the abuse.

TV01:
Like sodomitic marriage then?

No, like a paragraph that does nothing to advance an idea.

TV01:
Both Mr. A and Miss. B are allowed to marry members of the opposite sex. No rights are being infringed.

Well with homosexual marriage, they're also allowed to marry members of the same sex. No rights are being infringed.

TV01:
Pray tell what is. Please explain how it came to be through pretty much all societies through all of human history? Just to deny sodomites? Due too heterosexual animus towards homosexuals? Please tell us what the essence of marriage is?

The essence is uniting two adult individuals into a family unit with various legal and social benefits.

TV01:
They already have that. The right is to marry someone of the opposite sex. That is what marriage is, is for and what constitutes it's essence. Marriage has nothing to do with who you are attracted to or how you engage sexually.

Well heterosexuals with this right would have the right to marry someone of the same sex. Looks to me like you're confused about the function of marriage.

TV01:
If you do respond, please bring something a little more palatable. I don't do turkey leftovers. Not tormented, merely irked by the unthinking blindness and banality of your trite posers.

Cluck, cluck

TV

If you respond, please take the time to carefully think about your response rather than making pointless assertions and writing confused paragraphs that do nothing to advance your argument.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 7:28am On Dec 27, 2013
TV01: All the arguments – non of which are remotely plausible - for SSM can be summed up thus;

1. Homosexuals are humans, humans have the right to marry, therefore homosexuals can marry OR

2. Homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals, therefore if heterosexuals have the right to marry, so do homosexuals

. . . .

More aimless rambling. You need to learn how to address arguments. You've formulated two arguments to help you clearly order them as syllogisms, I've rearranged them for you below.

1a. Homosexuals are humans,

b. humans have the right to marry,

c. therefore homosexuals can marry OR

The second argument restates the first one but isn't as clear so you can clearly deal with this main argument by pointing out the premise you disagree with.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 2:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
@thehomer (or indeed anyone else),

Let me ask you this; lets take two sets of men, a pair and a couple. The pair do everything together as do the couple. The only difference being the couple are emotionally and/or erotically involved.

1. What is the benefit, what is in view or the outcome that should lead lead society to recognise their union or endorse/validate it in any way?
2. What are the "various legal and social benefits" that society gift or accrue to this "family" unit and why.
3. How are they in any way different to the "pair" who seek no societal endorsement of their union? Or any other "pair"?
4. How are they in any way different to a second couple, identical to them, who seek no formal societal recognition of their coupling?
5. Why should society discriminate in their favour over the pair, other pairs or the 2nd identical couple simply because they formalise their union?

I'd appreciate a response to the above without recourse to opposite sex marriage. Unless of course you can demonstrate that they are the same in every way and that society' endorsement or benefits have nothing to do with the potential or outcome, but solely the legal joining or solemnisation

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 6:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
TV01: @thehomer (or indeed anyone else),

Let me ask you this; lets take two sets of men, a pair and a couple. The pair do everything together as do the couple. The only difference being the couple are emotionally and/or erotically involved.

1. What is the benefit, what is in view or the outcome that should lead lead society to recognise their union or endorse/validate it in any way?

The benefit is that the society accepts that there are no second class citizens.

TV01:
2. What are the "various legal and social benefits" that society gift or accrue to this "family" unit and why.

Firstly, the benefit to the society is secondary to the society being just to all its members. Otherwise, why would anyone choose to be a member of a society that denies them rights granted to others?

Secondly, the society benefits in being seen as being just.

Thirdly, the society benefits because this couple can also raise children in a loving and caring household.

TV01:
3. How are they in any way different to the "pair" who seek no societal endorsement of their union? Or any other "pair"?

The fact that they are a couple legally and emotionally. Thus, they can e.g inherit property due to couples, visit in times of great distress like in a hospital and have other rights as couples.

TV01:
4. How are they in any way different to a second couple, identical to them, who seek no formal societal recognition of their coupling?

See above.

TV01:
5. Why should society discriminate in their favour over the pair, other pairs or the 2nd identical couple simply because they formalise their union?

What do you mean by "discriminate in their favour"? They want recognition that they are married. The fact that they are married doesn't affect two people who do not want to be married.

TV01:
I'd appreciate a response to the above without recourse to opposite sex marriage. Unless of course you can demonstrate that they are the same in every way and that society' endorsement or benefits have nothing to do with the potential or outcome, but solely the legal joining or solemnisation

TV

Your questions too are just pointless. Two people who want to get married and do get married does nothing to affect other people who do not want to get married. A man and a woman who do not want to get married does nothing to affect another man and woman who do want to get married.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
@TV01

Why didn't you address your own argument laid out as a syllogism? Is it because you found it too difficult to tackle?
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by UyiIredia(m): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
@ OP: Why Ihedinobi com deactivate im account now ? Well the response of Pierre Morgan portrays what many gays tend to do in a debate over their rights. When one uses their logic against them they play deaf or ignore it as Piers' jibe did.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Joshthefirst(m): 7:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ OP: Why Ihedinobi com deactivate im account now ? Well the response of Pierre Morgan portrays what many gays tend to do in a debate over their rights. When one uses their logic against them they play deaf or ignore it as Piers' jibe did.
nice to have you back!
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Redlyn: 8:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
TV01: @thehomer (or indeed anyone else),

According to this PAIR appears to be close friends and COUPLE boyfriends. This distinction on sexual/emotional grounds is not important in the discussion of marriage. The real distinction here should be dating vs making a long term commitment. But let me put that on hold for a minute.

There is no obligation, benefit or requirement to endorse the pair or the couple (same as two women, or man and woman today who choose to live together as unmarried partners). They don't have any legal ties towards each other, by choice. Whether they are having sex or emotionally linked or not is irrelevant. They have no legal status, they might as well be friends/roommates and are treated as such. Either can walk away the next day in any manner with little consequence.

Should they decide to make a life long commitment eg to live together, merge their assets and plan a joint future, the benefit for their union to be recognized legally is that there will be a structure to provide security to both individuals as seen by the various rights they will get below.

Do your own research on marriage rights. Anyway examples, they can make important medical decisions on behalf of their partner, special visitation rights in prison/hospital, next-of-kin recognition, inheritance, family leave to take care of sick spouse, collect pension of deceased spouse, getting residency to be with your spouse, child support, in case of separation there is a structure to how assets are handled, societal recognition that you are a unit.

Choice. Those who want to cohabit can cohabit those who want to make a long term commitment and feel secure in that commitment can do so irrespective of having sex or not. This is no different form cohabiting straight couples and married straight couples.

See above.

Firstly it is not in any one's favor. Marriage comes with responsibilities and obligations to your spouse so its not about doing things in anyone’s favour. Society should recognize the formalized union because its a firm commitment by 2 people to merge into a family. They want to take the relationship from friendship/dating to formal legal unit and enjoy the rights, kinship ties as well as obligations and responsibilities cohabiting friends choose to not to partake in.

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
@thehomer,

I simplified as best I could and asked you quite basic questions. You response suggest you have no answers or that you willfully misunderstood me. So I'll be even more reductionist, just in case.

Forget for a moment that marriage has ever existed and please answer the questions again;

Take two sets of men, a pair and a couple. The pair do everything together as do the couple. The only difference being the couple are emotionally and/or erotically involved. The couple ask that society legally recognises their union;

1. What is the benefit to society that would lead to recognition of their union?
2. What are the "various legal and social benefits" that society should gift or accrue to this "family unit"
3.Why.
4. How are they in any way different to the "pair" who seek no societal endorsement of their union?
5. Why should society discriminate in their favour - by giving them various benefits - over the pair,simply because they formalise their union?

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 5:47am On Dec 28, 2013
TV01: @thehomer,

I simplified as best I could and asked you quite basic questions. You response suggest you have no answers or that you willfully misunderstood me. So I'll be even more reductionist, just in case.

Forget for a moment that marriage has ever existed and please answer the questions again;

Take two sets of men, a pair and a couple. The pair do everything together as do the couple. The only difference being the couple are emotionally and/or erotically involved. The couple ask that society legally recognises their union;

1. What is the benefit to society that would lead to recognition of their union?
2. What are the "various legal and social benefits" that society should gift or accrue to this "family unit"
3.Why.
4. How are they in any way different to the "pair" who seek no societal endorsement of their union?
5. Why should society discriminate in their favour - by giving them various benefits - over the pair,simply because they formalise their union?

TV

Asked and answered here.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by wiegraf: 7:45am On Dec 28, 2013
TV01: Diminishing marriage for the 98%+ to make it equal for the tiny minority is not equality.

I don't understand, are you getting gay married as well? And if you are, exactly how does the process become diminished now that you're getting the same rights everyone else has?

Here's my main focus though

https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=equality+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=XmK-UpaHEKep0AX07oGoAQ

google:

equality
ɪˈkwɒlɪti,iː-/
noun
noun: equality; plural noun: equalities

1. the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, or opportunities.

I hope that clears up any problems as to what 'equality' is?

TV01:

Your case hinges on (judeoxtian, no less) tradition yet you come up with this? (You even more or else state so above IIRC). If marriage never existed you wouldn't have a case. Every single thing a married het couple can do, a ghey couple can as well. In fact, one coould say they're better in certain areas, eg regulating family size.

If births are the issue, in a lot of today's world intercourse isn't even a requirement to procreate. Regardless, why can't they use surrogates, adopt, etc? Even if you fancied yourself some sort of arbiter on just who is allowed to procreate with who and you castrated them all, like you acknowledge above, they are a tiny minority. And of course, you'd have to do the same to every straight couple as well, eg those guilty of infidelity

If your issue is that a family unit should consist a father and mother, well, what gives you the right to dictate what is natural to you as natural to everyone else? The bible??

Your case hinges on tradition and that is in NO way a good enough reason to deny people basic rights everyone else enjoys. It was once traditional to prohibit interracial marriages, no? Or taking slaves, second class citizens as brides, no?

TV01:

So, in keeping with the theme, equality. We keep fair standards. This way we know that if tomorrow by some jazz the majority became gay, you still get to retain your rights to marry whosoever you want to, like everyone else. Or if xtianity suddenly lost it's popularity you still keep your right to worship whatever skydaddy you wish to worship. etc etc. We keep the tyranny of the majority in check, simple.

And even basic, simple happiness (and productivity) of citizens. Or just human decency, or dignity, or rights. Exactly since when did everything, especially the victimless, need some sort of profit margins attached to it? I think church a monumental waste of very valuable resources and can back that up logically. Maybe we should get rid of churches?

Some of your other questions are simply disingenuous, silly and downright callous. You already know what benefits legally married couples enjoy, so I'm confused as to why you ask. Are you married? Perhaps you'd appreciate government denying your spouse rights if the unthinkable happened to you? Why people bother with something that isn't their concern bewilders
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Redlyn: 9:58am On Dec 28, 2013
If marriage never existed, there is a benefit of recognizing legally the union of the couple not who are having sex but who want to settle permanently with each other.

Invent legal union ie marriage to give rights to the other so they are more secure. see the rights in question to understand why it is helpful to the couple. We can enter business partnership, so we would invent a union such as marriage / domestic partnership to clarify the rights of each in the union.

Marriages also tend to last more than cohabitation as people put more effort to make it work. I think it is good for society to promote this kind of companionship as we are social beings and there have been lots of studies showing how marriage improves the well being of both adults and any kids raised in this environment of security.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by UyiIredia(m): 10:11am On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: nice to have you back!

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 12:54am On Dec 29, 2013
Well, well, well, No real surprise, I've allowed two odd days and all that's come back are 3 poor - if earnest - attempts and not a point between them cool! I guess I can wrap this up now.

Between them, Redlyn, wiegraf and thehomer could not come up with one benefit to society of sodomitic marriage. Why? beacause there simply aren't any.

Redlyn could only drone on about asset merging and visitation rights etc, which has nothing to do with the state, therefore no reason for a statutory framework. All the things mentioned could be covered by a simple co-habitation agreement drawn up by a solicitor, just like the "business partnership" Redlyn compared it too. Two men in casual relationship and two men in a committed one, add exactly the same to society - nothing - and should therefore engender exactly the same response, none. What does the commitment change that has any effect beyond the two of them? It benefits society how exactly? Not a whit!

Wiegraf scrabbled around with equality, when I specifically asked for an answer without recourse to opposite sex unions. Equality treats like things alike, it doesn't make different things the same. Neither can it force things that are unalike to be alike by forcing the same outcomes.

An opposite sex relationship is substantively different from a same sex pairing - just as men are substantively different from women - both in content and outcome. The only reason marriage came into being was because of the procreative possibility of the opposite sex pairing. Society has an interest in securing the future and marriage is the safest and optimal setting for the procreation and nurture of children, whilst at the same time requiring the least intervention from and proving the most cost-effective way for the state. Genius. I prefer Divine cheesy. That is why we create a statutory framework around marriage, support it and accrue benefits to it. The state has no interest in any other kind of human relationship.

Like I said, statutory benefits to two men in a relationship who commit to one another and not to two men who don't - regardless of if they are in a relationship or not is pointless and discriminatory, as none of them benefit society one jot.

Whereas it makes absolute sense for society to encourage and support an opposite sex commitment as it is the most likely to produce and best raise the children so vital for the future. And despite a few outliers - those who do not for whatever reason procreate - the principle holds and serves perfectly.

Nonsense about the various ways to produce children is simply desperate. The best - for children - and most cost effective way remains the binary male/female model. The right to enter into the institution of marriage is freely available to all. Not the right to form a relationship of any nature and have it statutorily called marriage.

To scream that equality demands that sterile sodomitic acts are now equated with procreative coupling and affirmed as marriage is simply absurd. And thehomer citing "justness", as a benefit/reason is even worse, not least because real justice would demand that any type of intimate act (or commitment according to Redlyn) by a human be elevated to marriage

You hypocritically scream "privacy", whilst at the same time demanding societal endorsement. But sodomitic acts are empty, sterile and a
dead-end. there is no outcome and zero product. Granted, you may truly feel that your relationships are loving, committed and worthy, but they are not the same, do not have the same outcome or the same benefit to society.

So like I said, it's a wrap. It's actually quite perverse trying to package abnormal sexual acts and those who engage in them as a "special/protected class" and on that basis, ascribing a whole host of rights to them. And to do so at the expense of freedom of expression and by eviscerating institutions that have served society so well for so long. Now that's tyranny.

Too close, I'll say this; it's quite obvious that this is really about foisting deviancy and immorality on those who don't agree with it, by forcing them to do so by statute. It's also clear that it's about stilling any dissenting voices the same way. But whatever statutes you create around it, however you label it, it remains a degrading and immoral act.

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Nobody: 4:15am On Dec 29, 2013
TV01: Well, well, well, No real surprise, I've allowed two odd days and all that's come back are 3 poor - if earnest - attempts and not a point between them cool! I guess I can wrap this up now.

Between them, Redlyn, wiegraf and thehomer could not come up with one benefit to society of sodomitic marriage. Why? beacause there simply aren't any.

Redlyn could only drone on about asset merging and visitation rights etc, which has nothing to do with the state, therefore no reason for a statutory framework. All the things mentioned could be covered by a simple co-habitation agreement drawn up by a solicitor, just like the "business partnership" Redlyn compared it too. Two men in casual relationship and two men in a committed one, add exactly the same to society - nothing - and should therefore engender exactly the same response, none. What does the commitment change that has any effect beyond the two of them? It benefits society how exactly? Not a whit!

Wiegraf scrabbled around with equality, when I specifically asked for an answer without recourse to opposite sex unions. Equality treats like things alike, it doesn't make different things the same. Neither can it force things that are unalike to be alike by forcing the same outcomes.

An opposite sex relationship is substantively different from a same sex pairing - just as men are substantively different from women - both in content and outcome. The only reason marriage came into being was because of the procreative possibility of the opposite sex pairing. Society has an interest in securing the future and marriage is the safest and optimal setting for the procreation and nurture of children, whilst at the same time requiring the least intervention from and proving the most cost-effective way for the state. Genius. I prefer Divine cheesy. That is why we create a statutory framework around marriage, support it and accrue benefits to it. The state has no interest in any other kind of human relationship.

Like I said, statutory benefits to two men in a relationship who commit to one another and not to two men who don't - regardless of if they are in a relationship or not is pointless and discriminatory, as none of them benefit society one jot.

Whereas it makes absolute sense for society to encourage and support an opposite sex commitment as it is the most likely to produce and best raise the children so vital for the future. And despite a few outliers - those who do not for whatever reason procreate - the principle holds and serves perfectly.

Nonsense about the various ways to produce children is simply desperate. The best - for children - and most cost effective way remains the binary male/female model. The right to enter into the institution of marriage is freely available to all. Not the right to form a relationship of any nature and have it statutorily called marriage.

To scream that equality demands that sterile sodomitic acts are now equated with procreative coupling and affirmed as marriage is simply absurd. And thehomer citing "justness", as a benefit/reason is even worse, not least because real justice would demand that any type of intimate act (or commitment according to Redlyn) by a human be elevated to marriage

You hypocritically scream "privacy", whilst at the same time demanding societal endorsement. But sodomitic acts are empty, sterile and a
dead-end. there is no outcome and zero product. Granted, you may truly feel that your relationships are loving, committed and worthy, but they are not the same, do not have the same outcome or the same benefit to society.

So like I said, it's a wrap. It's actually quite perverse trying to package abnormal sexual acts and those who engage in them as a "special/protected class" and on that basis, ascribing a whole host of rights to them. And to do so at the expense of freedom of expression and by eviscerating institutions that have served society so well for so long. Now that's tyranny.

Too close, I'll say this; it's quite obvious that this is really about foisting deviancy and immorality on those who don't agree with it, by forcing them to do so by statute. It's also clear that it's about stilling any dissenting voices the same way. But whatever statutes you create around it, however you label it, it remains a degrading and immoral act.

TV

Is it me or is it just that this guy has no idea about what he is talking about and he is damn proud of it?

SMH
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by wiegraf: 6:48am On Dec 29, 2013
Logicboy03:

Is it me or is it just that this guy has no idea about what he is talking about and he is damn proud of it?

SMH

Obviously not you. Don't have time atm to deal with such sublime nonsense, but will be back. Or not, as I'm not exactly getting paid to school these clowns....

@TV, for starters, exactly how are homosexuality and het relationships different? Because you say so? Do you think I added the bit about procreation because I enjoy discussions with proud bigots? I hope you have something other than the bible to back up your implied claim that a homo couple cannot provide the same sort of care a het couple can manage. I suppose it similar to how back in the day, black man, women etc couldn't vote because we were inferior?
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Redlyn: 9:06am On Dec 29, 2013
Some countries have domestic partnerships but not marriage, which grants a lot of the rights but not all. Is introducing recognized civil unions acceptable to you? And this needs to be recognized by the state because there is no point entering such agreement on personal level if you cannot use this status where it is most important.

You can argue if marriage was not created there would be no reason to create it for gay people, but fact is marriage does exist. and it
is accessible to all males/females pairs regardless of their ability to procreate even those can quite visibly NOT procreate so the there is clearly flexibility there. The decision to get married and the acceptance of their union by the state is clearly NOT because of child bearing. Gay persons can adopt an orphan child and raise him within this secure structure as well if it is just to facilitate raising a child. Anyway no point for me to belabour the points further.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 1:06am On Dec 30, 2013
Logicboy03: Is it me or is it just that this guy has no idea about what he is talking about and he is damn proud of it?

Yes, it is you cheesy!

wiegraf: @TV, for starters, exactly how are homosexuality and het relationships different? Because you say so?

Not because I say so, simply because they are. But if you'd like to show exactly how they are the same in make-up, content or outcome, please feel free to share with the board.

wiegraf: Do you think I added the bit about procreation because I enjoy discussions with proud bigots?

Ey yah! Feel your anguish. But please spare a thought for poor old me having to engage a shameless incoherent reprobate. And one whose thought process is driven by how he employs his tallywhacker smiley!.

wiegraf: I hope you have something other than the bible to back up your implied claim that a homo couple cannot provide the same sort of care a het couple can manage.

I didn't actually make that claim, although it is blatantly obvious. Any meaningful research will attest to just that. Wild animals have been known to "care" for children. What is important is the qualitative nature of the care. And most importantly the crucial input from two opposite sex parents - which we are beginning to understand is crucial for triggering certain developments as a child matures.

As a father, if you are claiming that two men could raise my son as well or better than my wife and I, I would take that as evidence of how depraved you quite clearly are.

Marriage is the best setting for children, particularly where those children are the biological offspring of both parents. The risks are greatly increased if one parent is non-biological, which would always be the case with a same-sex couple.

wiegraf: I suppose it similar to how back in the day, black man, women etc couldn't vote because we were inferior?

Yawn. Devoid of a critical argument? Resort to mis-analogies and noxious ones at that. No, I don't think it is. Not like black struggle for civil rights or the restriction on black people marrying whites either. Both of those where about race, not marriage. Try harder grin!

Redlyn: Some countries have domestic partnerships but not marriage, which grants a lot of the rights but not all. Is introducing recognized civil unions acceptable to you? And this needs to be recognized by the state because there is no point entering such agreement on personal level if you cannot use this status where it is most important.

So you understand marriage is male/female for obvious reasons?

The questions remains why the state would afford any benefits to a same sex couple. Even a "committed" couple as there is no difference between them (from a societal point of view) and an "uncommitted" couple, or indeed, any two men who don't even know each other. It is simply discrimination, which is fine, but there has to be a valid reason for it. For example we discriminate against the blind when it comes to driving for obvious reason.

If a legal agreement is entered into by the couple I see no reason why statutory intervention is required?

And as a Christian, it's a plain no, for obvious reasons.

Redlyn: You can argue if marriage was not created there would be no reason to create it for gay people, but fact is marriage does exist. and it is accessible to all males/females pairs regardless of their ability to procreate even those can quite visibly NOT procreate so the there is clearly flexibility there.

It is accessible to "ALL". It is defined as male/female. It wasn't created for "non-gay" people. It patently originated due to the procreative potetial of that pairing and the benefit to society. Homosexuals are absolutely permitted to marry, but reject this basic premise. To insist it be re-defined - and in a way that strips it of its essence - just so they can access it "another way" is just wrong.

At some point, if they remain married long enough, all married couples cease to be able to procreate, however, the basic male/female premise remains intact.

Redlyn: even those can quite visibly NOT procreate so the there is clearly flexibility there.The decision to get married and the acceptance of their union by the state is clearly NOT because of child bearing.

So? As explained above, the premise remains intact.
One of the beauties of marriage is that it requires very little touch and despite the procreative principle not manifesting in every instance, it holds firmly enough for it to do exactly what is required. The principle is totally absent for same sex couples, thereby disqualifying them from marriage in practice.

Redlyn: Gay persons can adopt an orphan child and raise him within this secure structure as well if it is just to facilitate raising a child. Anyway no point for me to belabour the points further.

Needless to say, I do not feel it's in a child' best interest to be placed with a homosexual couple (or any single person). It's a different discussion, but I believe we should always place them with a married couple - with incentives if required.

If homosexual unions are deemed worthy by homosexuals, they shouldn't feel the the need for validation by accessing an institution which is predicated on an opposite pairing. And certainly not by butchering it to fit.

Like I said, a wrap, but appreciate your efforts - and the opportunity to torment a couple of muppets grin!

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by wiegraf: 6:20am On Dec 30, 2013
^^^

So, I read that, and all I noted was a really happy bigot spewing nonsense, cowardly and frankly disgraceful opinions, then congratulating himself.

Did you read my for starters? You provided absolutely no evidence to back up your assertion that two men couldn't provide the necessary condition other than 'if you ask me as a father'. Yet you expect to be indulged??

No, I'm clearly not asking for that you clown. You CLEARLY lack judgment, and I think you should be more worried about the fact that your kids will have to be raised by an atrocity like yourself than the homo family next doors business.

So, again, do you have anything better than nonsense like your opinion or the bible to back up your assertion that a homo couple cannot provide a conducive environment for child rearing?
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 8:15am On Dec 30, 2013
TV01: Well, well, well, No real surprise, I've allowed two odd days and all that's come back are 3 poor - if earnest - attempts and not a point between them cool! I guess I can wrap this up now.

TV

I notice that you merely want to make a lot of noise but produce nothing of substance. A great place for you to start would be with you addressing this argument that you clarified.

thehomer:
. . . .
1a. Homosexuals are humans,

b. humans have the right to marry,

c. therefore homosexuals can marry
. . . .
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 10:49am On Dec 30, 2013
thehomer: I notice that you merely want to make a lot of noise but produce nothing of substance. A great place for you to start would be with you addressing this argument that you clarified.

a. Homosexuals are humans, - no gainsaying, having the same worth and deserving the same dignity as all humans

b. humans have the right to marry - absolutely, same, worth, same value, same fundamental human rights as all

c. therefore homosexuals can marry - like everyone - bar certain restrictions age, kinship etc. - a member of the opposite sex

I presumed this would be self-evident to one of even modest capability, but it's clear you need it spelt out. No, don't thank me grin.

Here, occupy yourself with this (and quit muddling an "above your pay grade" discussion);

A. car has four wheels and an engine and is operated by humans
B. a lawn mower has four wheels and an engine and is operated by humans
C. therefore a lawn mower is a car?

TV
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by TV01(m): 11:15am On Dec 30, 2013
wiegraf: So, I read that, and all I noted was a really happy bigot spewing nonsense, cowardly and frankly disgraceful opinions, then congratulating himself.
And you are a shameless reprobate. We can do this all day, or you can simply back up your asinine assertion.

wiegraf: Did you read my for starters? You provided absolutely no evidence to back up your assertion that two men couldn't provide the necessary condition other than 'if you ask me as a father'. Yet you expect to be indulged??
You made the claim. And contrary to thousands of years of history and all critically reviewed research. You prove it and stop gnashing your teeth in frustration cheesy!

Please tell the board how two men "provide the necessary condition" and as good as or better (your desperate claim) care, than a biological mother and father?

You can start by telling us which one seeds and which one gestates, then move on to explaining which one' body undergoes tremendous physiological & psychological change in preparation for the new arrival. Then perhaps, which one the baby naturally bonds with immediately after birth and suckles - having already formed a relationship with from the womb.

How about how the child will appreciate your tearing him/her away from the biological mother who you have reduced to a mere "breeder". Willfully denying the child the continued association, heritage, love care and nurture of the natural mother. How will you replace the vital developmental triggers that only a mother can provide, or the balance and adjustment from having two opposite sex parents. Misogynist child abuser angry.

wiegraf: No, I'm clearly not asking for that you clown. You CLEARLY lack judgment, and I think you should be more worried about the fact that your kids will have to be raised by an atrocity like yourself than the homo family next doors business.
Clown? The fool says in his heart "there is no God" grin! You lack understanding.

My son is the result of loving procreation and benefits from ongoing nurture by loving biological parents. Not something the "sodomites" next door can grasp or emulate. At best, they procure children like products - for their vanity projects - in an attempt to be what they are not, family.

wiegraf: So, again, do you have anything better than nonsense like your opinion or the bible to back up your assertion that a homo couple cannot provide a conducive environment for child rearing?
Not for procreation. And for child rearing, like I said, wolves have been known to raise children, so what's your point? Gay homosexuals will always be second best. Although I admit, slightly preferable to wolves cheesy!

I'm the Daddy cheesy!

TV

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by thehomer: 10:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
TV01:

a. Homosexuals are humans, - no gainsaying, having the same worth and deserving the same dignity as all humans

b. humans have the right to marry - absolutely, same, worth, same value, same fundamental human rights as all

c. therefore homosexuals can marry - like everyone - bar certain restrictions age, kinship etc. - a member of the opposite sex

I presumed this would be self-evident to one of even modest capability, but it's clear you need it spelt out. No, don't thank me grin.

What is self evident is your poor reasoning ability. How would it be freedom to say that e.g everyone is free to marry only members of their own tribe or their own race when they would rather to marry someone of another tribe or another race? Isn't it arbitrary to declare that race or tribe should be a valid restriction in a marriage? The fatuousness of your response is truly astounding.

TV01:
Here, occupy yourself with this (and quit muddling an "above your pay grade" discussion);

A. car has four wheels and an engine and is operated by humans
B. a lawn mower has four wheels and an engine and is operated by humans
C. therefore a lawn mower is a car?

TV

Your second syllogism is so terribly malformed that it demonstrates your ignorant ramblings. You should learn how to form non-fallacious syllogisms. What you've written out can be codified as:

A. P has Q
B. R has Q
C. Therefore R is P.

It simply makes no sense.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by wiegraf: 12:25am On Dec 31, 2013
TV01: And you are a shameless reprobate. We can do this all day, or you can simply back up your asinine assertion.
You made the claim. And contrary to thousands of years of history and all critically reviewed research. You prove it and stop gnashing your teeth in frustration cheesy!
Please tell the board how two men "provide the necessary condition" and as good as or better (your desperate claim) care, than a biological mother and father?
You can start by telling us which one seeds and which one gestates, then move on to explaining which one' body undergoes tremendous physiological & psychological change in preparation for the new arrival. Then perhaps, which one the baby naturally bonds with immediately after birth and suckles - having already formed a relationship with from the womb.
How about how the child will appreciate your tearing him/her away from the biological mother who you have reduced to a mere "breeder". Willfully denying the child the continued association, heritage, love care and nurture of the natural mother. How will you replace the vital developmental triggers that only a mother can provide, or the balance and adjustment from having two opposite sex parents. Misogynist child abuser angry.
Clown? The fool says in his heart "there is no God" grin! You lack understanding.
My son is the result of loving procreation and benefits from ongoing nurture by loving biological parents. Not something the "sodomites" next door can grasp or emulate. At best, they procure children like products - for their vanity projects - in an attempt to be what they are not, family.
Not for procreation. And for child rearing, like I said, wolves have been known to raise children, so what's your point? Gay homosexuals will always be second best. Although I admit, slightly preferable to wolves cheesy!
I'm the Daddy cheesy!
TV

Sadly, no PC availability. Can't deal with folly on phone. Not frustration bros, just plain old disgust like I mentioned earlier.

Yes captain obvious, I made the assertion, which in your foolishness you fail to note I was careful to state was implied, then you confirmed it. So, exactly what are you on about?

And you call my assertions asinine right before you compared human beings to wolves..... Well done. Please, what was it again?

Good clown, what years of research are you speaking of? You do realize babies cry because, well, that's what they do? I carried that baby from the mama and gave her to another mama of the same race etc, you think the baby will.....notice?

Lol

So, exactly who will the baby form bonds with then? You do know there are many adopted kids that well know they are adopted but have absolutely no desire to meet their biological parents, no? Let alone those that don't even know they're adopted. Steve jobs was one of the former for the most part. But no, all those adopted kids are not in families because they do not meet your standards. I'd ask how dare you, then again you're religious. You already assume this universe was created just for you

Perhaps you aren't aware of single fathers raising kids? Maybe they don't exist. Should the children be seized because they're mysigonists? They are not letting the women take care of them, and thats definitely their job. I mean the only thing women are good for is child rearing and cooking. Perhaps gossip as well. Men? Bringing home the bacon. Strictly strong, macho bs only, the good stuff. All those single parents aren't taking care of their children........because you say so

Do you even know what misogyny is? Don't use big words if you don't understand them. And it works both ways, see misandry...

Btw , many many gay parents around, with their families researched etc. Guess what? No different than your average family. No ojuju anywhere. Can't be bothered linking cause of phone, but I'll be back with that. And last I checked, it wasn't even a case of adoption, it was their own children, most use their own DNA, so even by your warped nonsensical logic, what's the problem? Unlike adopted kids, at least one of the parents is the biological 'natural' one, so what are you on about?

And not, I would even argue it's the worse option, as if they're willing to invest into nurturing children there are many (abandoned by your good and proper straight folk mostly) in less than condusive environments, eg homes. And a child is a child, all of them deserving of love and proper care. This obsession with rearing your own child escapes me.

So no, bros. You don't have a sliver of a case. You don't het to decide for the rest what a family is. That's pure nonsense....

Your fellow religionist is the one that points out just how prejudiced your position is, the exact same thing with racism, yet here you are....

Now, imagine back in the day a black family wanting to raise an oyinbo kid...

But noooo, pls proceed with your nonsense
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by Redlyn: 8:11am On Dec 31, 2013
Forget about this guy. his whole argument is marriage is there solely for procreation. So if you can't procreate there is no real reason for you to marry. He cannot understand why any non procreating couple could possibly want to marry. since It's only about procreating that makes infertile unions worthless and pointless.
Re: Let's Talk About Gay Rights - From A Religio-Philosophical Perspective by itsrandeeboi(m): 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2013
I've been offline for a while so i've not been able to continue with the discussion but i'm here now so i might as well reply where applicable:

TV01:

Let me start from the end. No, I don't think that I have or should have more rights than a "gay person", Neither do I think that just because a person practices a certain type of intimate behaviour, he/she should be ascribed a set of rights over and above my rights or generic human rights.

And I laugh at the hypocrisy that says rights should be ascribed to "gays" on the basis of their proclivities, but not to others on the basis of theirs; to wit polygamists, zoophiliacs, paedophiles etc.

There are in truth only human rights, applicable to all. I would make exceptions for the vulnerable, i.e. children, the disabled, but other than that no "special or protected interests". The whole notion of gay rights is simply a contrivance to impose the perversion.

And the point is consistently overlooked, that whatever the legalities or definition, there are some who will always count sodomy as as abominable, deviant, degrading, immoral or simply disordered. You cannot re-define or legislate away issues of morality, which is what is being attempted here.

If you want to tow that line, why not have this; there will always be whites who think blacks are monkeys, wild animals, slaves, not good enough to marry white people, less than human and simply not normal or civilized. Should we, on the basis of the fact that these people will always exist, return to slavery and returning to the jim crow laws that came before civil rights gained enough strength?

TV01: It does not fall at all, let alone flat. Neither has your rebuttal actually said anything. If something is re-defined in such a way that it loses it's essence, it's not being simply re-defined, it's being destroyed. A re-definition should not vary anything that is fundamental to what a thing is in essence, otherwise it ceases to be, or is rendered useless.

So far example "adulthood", being mentally and physically able to engage as an adult is it's essence, being impossible before puberty. If we move the adulthood bar to a pre-pubertal age, we render the term useless.

Re-defining marriage to include a pair that are 1. not opposite sex, 2. cannot procreate in principle or in practice means it is no longer marriage as we have historically and anthropologically understood it. It becomes something else. And for everyone. To make it work for "gays", it ceases to work for anyone. Rights? No, it's about redefining the immoral as moral.

The concepts of adultery and consummation have also to be stripped out of marriage' essence, as both are simply nonsensical in a same-sex pairing.

And from a canonical Christian perspective, whether you redefine (marriage), or recreate (civil unions), sin remains sin.

It still falls flat. A re-defining marriage to include homosexual relationships does not not mean straight people can't get married any more, so your point is very moot. The basics still won't changed; marriage will still be the legal union of two people for whatever purposes they deem fit, be it child bearing, love or anything else. Afterall, people get married for visas now, don't they? I don't see you guys complaining over that, when you consider that they have no plans to have children or even stay together. Redefining the word marriage makes it include a wider bracket not exclude the initial one it covered.

As for adultery and consummation, those still apply. What would you define adultery and consummation as? Do they apply to only one gender or to both? If they apply only to one gender, then yes, it could become nonsensical in the homosexual context but if not, them it still applies either way. The rules governing adultery and consummation are drawn by the fact there is a legal union i.e marriage not the sex of the people involved. Besides, both are basically moral concepts and barely have real bearing on legality.

You can't look at it from only a canonical christian point of view; not everybody are christians.

TV01: 1. An arrangement where two people who just "want to spend the rest of their lives together", needs no legal codification or societal endorsement. If that's all it was, we would not have evolved anything even like marriage. We - being society - take an interest in this type of arrangement solely due to the procreative possibility. That's the whole point.

2. Even if there are no offspring - by design or default - the principle holds, an opposite sex pairing is the basis for procreation and the best setting for nurturing children.

3. Orphaned or abandoned/unwanted kids would be best served by placing them with a male/female pairing in every which way. We should encourage and if expedient incentivise this. Neither bad opposite couples or demoniosing them, makes a case for same-sex ones.

4. You may ask whatever you please, it changes the basis of this discussion not a wit. Two fathers or two mothers in lieu of an opposite sex parent in not "normal".

1) If our sole interest in the marriage arrangement is solely due to the procreative possibility, then a man and woman who want to have children don't need legal codification either and as such, don't have to get married to do so, afterall, all they need is to have sex and voila, here come the kids. You also realize that a man does not need to have sex with a woman any more to procreate and so, as far as he can get a donor for an egg, he can always have a kid, without even having to meet said donor. The legal codification is to make the union legit in the eyes of the law and bestow on the spouses the rights that accrue to them as legal partners in the union.

What something originates as does not mean what it will always be. Ask those that subscribe to the evolution theory and you will hear that we human beings haven't always been like this. Marriage, like government, education, health care and nearly every other institution you can think of may have started with very basic functions that have been expanded to encompass so much more than was previously thought of.

2) What does it matter if an opposite sex pairing is the basis for procreation or a good setting for children's upbringing WHEN THERE ARE NO CHILDREN TO TALK OF? Marriage is one thing; child birth and upbringing is quite another. You can do either without the other and you wouldn't be breaking the law, so don't make it look like you have to be married to have kids and bring them up properly. The much lauded Ben Carson was the product of a single parent home which clearly lacks one of the oh-so-important parts of the ideal home setting and it appears to me he is doing just fine.

3) Says who? So, tell me, if you were an orphan about to be adopted into a family, and you are given two options; a drunkard, abusive man who beats up his wife and kids with his drug addled wife who half the time doesn't know what is going on around her AND a gay couple that have no such issues and will love you and give you everything that a child needs for optimum growth and development. Now you are telling me you will pick the abusive family JUST BECAUSE THERE IS A MAN AND WOMAN THERE? I don't need to rehash this, no matter how you incentivise it, a straight couple will always be likely to want their won kids. Not many woman want to be saddled with another woman's kid. So I don't the issue with allowing a gay couple to adopt them and give them a life and opportunity they would otherwise be denied.

4) Let's take up your "normal" and see how well it stands. Think of effeminate guys or siamese/conjoined twins. They are not normal right? But who created them? God, right? So, if they are not normal, then God made a mistake, didn't he? And it is now we humans that have to correct God's mistake, right? But if you say no, God didn't make a mistake, then why are we trying to get the effeminate guy to act manly or to separate the conjoined twins? Aren't they "normal" by God's standards; the person who created them? So who now decides what is normal; we or God?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Simple But Powerful Ways To Share The Good News / Some Things That Don't Add Up In The Bible / What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 267
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.