Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,163 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview (27751 Views)

How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview / How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview / How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by wandevincent(m): 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
Do you have an upcoming job interview? Are you scouring the internet looking for advice on how to answer tough job interview questions? More than likely you will be asked, "Why do you want to work here?", or "Why do you want this job?"

While it's important to practice your answer, be careful to not recite it from memory. You want your answer to sound genuine and honest. It will help the potential employer determine if you are fit for the job.

Below are some sample answers. Please be sure to practice your answer with a friend or two. If you are a college graduate, the career center staff should be happy to help you prepare for a job interview, and can help you review your answer to this question.

It might also help to search on Youtube for advice videos on how to answer the question. This video here explains how should do your homework and research the company and convey your knowledge in the answer.

"Why do you want this job?" Sample Job Interview Answer #1:

I chose to apply for this position because it meets everything I am looking for in a job. I want a job where I can be creative and work on a team, and this seems to be a great match. After researching XYZ company, I was impressed with your services, and I would be proud to be a part of the business. I truly believe that that the key to job happiness is to find something that you are passionate about, and I am truly passionate about XYZ company.

"Why do you want this job?" Sample Job Interview Answer #2

This position is my ideal job because the responsibilities are exactly what I'm looking for. I want a position where I can (insert job responsibility here) and (insert second job responsibility here.) I researched ABC company, and I am very impressed. I desire to work for a company that has a strong reputation, and I know that ABC company is known for it's quality products. In addition, I feel that this job fits my personality best.

"Why do you want this job?" Sample Job Interview Answer #3:

I like the reputation that 123 company has in the business community, and I would be proud to be part of it. I desire to have this position as (insert job title here) because it will allow me to use my skills such as (insert skill here) and fits my personality. I like the fact that 123 company has been around since 1934, and that the job turnover rate is low. From what I read online, employee morale appears to be high, and it sounds like a great environment to work in. I feel that this job suits me well, and I would be thrilled to be a member of the team.

Again, do not recite your answer verbatim. Practice your answer before hand and ask for advice from friends. (Or, you might even ask for advice on an online job search forum.) If you are a college graduate, contact the career center for some job interview assistance. Most will even offer mock job interviews.

For more job interview advice, please read "How to answer the 'Why Should We Hire You' Question in a Job Interview." You might also check out "How to Answer 'What are Your Weaknesses?' in a Job Interview?" for some Youtube videos with sample job interview answers.

12 Likes

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by dejt4u(m): 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
Tnx
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by LecturerIFE: 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
wandevincent:
Again, do not recite your answer verbatim.
Practice your answer before hand and ask for
advice from friends.

Aptly structured. Useful tips!

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by snika: 11:44am On Dec 23, 2013
Suddenly Jobberman recieves 100,000 answers to "Why do you want this job?" as
"I like the reputation that 123 company has in the business community, and I would be proud to be part of it. I desire to have this position as (insert job title here) because it will allow me to use my skills such as (insert skill here) and fits my personality. I like the fact that 123 company has been around since 1934, and that the job turnover rate is low. From what I read online, employee morale appears to be high, and it sounds like a great environment to work in. I feel that this job suits me well, and I would be thrilled to be a member of the team."

You wan try Nairalanders(Nigerians).

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by mosho2good: 11:44am On Dec 23, 2013
tanx God im d 1st to comment since year 2009.
Pls clap 4 me

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by strawgirl(f): 11:47am On Dec 23, 2013
TX. Bookmarked.
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by ARico(m): 11:47am On Dec 23, 2013
Thanks
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by tolextony(m): 11:48am On Dec 23, 2013
Nice tipz...tanx
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by montecarlo(m): 11:48am On Dec 23, 2013
It will help a great deal. Once you allow yourself to flow naturally without infusing any iota of cramming so that you wont appear crappy. Thank @op for this useful info
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by ayGodsdelight(m): 11:50am On Dec 23, 2013
Lovely
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 23, 2013
Nice
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Anuoluwap(m): 11:51am On Dec 23, 2013
Mosho2good I don't know what to say to you. That's xmas gift. But chidish tho
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by habbyy03: 11:53am On Dec 23, 2013
mosho2good: tanx God im d 1st to comment since year 2009.
Pls clap 4 me
indeed you are....# cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by 9jahubcom(m): 11:53am On Dec 23, 2013
good
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by alienware(m): 11:54am On Dec 23, 2013
Tell them u believe u are going to be of immense benefit to the organisation and if they don't employ u it's going to be a great loss to them.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Kennito90(m): 11:55am On Dec 23, 2013
Is always gud when u apply on merit, bt in d oda way round, connection things.....they cn ask u, y do u want dis job? Connection candidate, can say, i want it, because i wil hv d opportunity 2 date dat una secretary n d MG duaghter as well. Dnt b surprise, he wil stil get d job. 9ja things.
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by ajasa4link: 11:56am On Dec 23, 2013
Noted! tanx for the useful info. @mods now this is the kind of topics we want on fp not topics like " Tonto dike swallowing abortion pills" ,"A Nairalander rocking singlet and boxers" or " A Nairalander chilling with asari dokubo "
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Chadso(m): 11:56am On Dec 23, 2013
Thanks @OP... Its educative nd useful
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 23, 2013
Nice.
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by IAMBREEZY: 11:59am On Dec 23, 2013
Good.
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Fiscabally(m): 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2013
Tanx 4 dis op
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by moderatorr: 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2013
thats for shit job seekers.
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Emilord(m): 12:01pm On Dec 23, 2013
Pls clap 4 me
unfortunately,u r not.
U still dey browse with nokia 3110?
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by sexymoma(f): 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2013
Pls clap 4 me
Bros we aren't here to play.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by scopeman24(m): 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2013
dis r really good for job seekers.. thankz
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by lekzy007(m): 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2013
Nice one bro. grin
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by jeok(m): 12:09pm On Dec 23, 2013
[quote author=snika]Suddenly Jobberman recieves 100,000 answers to "Why do you want this job?" as
"I like the reputation that 123 company has in the business community, and I would be proud to be part of it. I desire to have this position as (insert job title here) because it will allow me to use my skills such as (insert skill here) and fits my personality. I like the fact that 123 company has been around since 1934, and that the job turnover rate is low. From what I read online, employee morale appears to be high, and it sounds like a great environment to work in. I feel that this job suits me well, and I would be thrilled to be a member of the team."

You wan try Nairalanders(Nigerians).[
/quote]
imagine someone actually writing 123 company...

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by jeok(m): 12:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
...now this is a good piece, well done!...not those stuupid "10 signs that you will not end up in a relationship because you are not a good boyfriend" sh*t where the topic and the article itself are both in an epic battle!
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by johnstar(m): 12:17pm On Dec 23, 2013
Noted
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by rodeo0070(m): 12:30pm On Dec 23, 2013
Lol...

4 Likes

Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Ornaments(f): 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2013
Thanx @ op.
ℓ̊‎​ think the best way to τ̅☺ go abt this is τ̅☺ read and deliver it in uя own words using some of the key points written above. U dnt need τ̅☺ copy Åп̥̥̲̣̣̣̥₫ paste cos am sure thousands of people myt read this. Best luck τ̅☺ us all
Re: How To Answer The "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" Question In A Job Interview by Lekan155: 1:05pm On Dec 23, 2013
Pls clap 4 me
dude! not yet, wait for your turn, till year 2032 I suppose undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Recruitment Criteria Exclude Graduates From Poor Homes, Says NANS / Recruitment: FRSC Summary Page Resolved / Hello N'landers, As A Job Seeker Would You Take This Salary For A Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.