Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview (46234 Views)

Jobs Seekers – See Best Way To Answer “why Should We Hire You?” / How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You / This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by GenoMI: 4:36pm On Jan 22, 2016
Hi guys!

This week's topic is how to answer the pretty much inevitable 'Tell Me About Yourself' interview question.

I've never attended an interview where ‘Tell me/us a bit about yourself’ wasn’t the first question I got asked, and trust me I’ve attended A LOT of interviews grin grin. I worked with 8 different companies during my Uni days alone. I’ve also moved on to work with many different organisations since graduation. And my experience has been that ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ is FIRST thing I'm asked at an interview.

I initially struggled every time I heard this question because I didn’t realise that recruiters are actually looking for specific information when they ask that question. Yeah, it’s an icebreaker, and an opportunity for them to get to know you a bit better BUT you need to realise that they don’t care about your marital status, state of origin, how many children you have etc grin lipsrsealed (I've heard those things come up in quite a number of interviews as an interviewer).

You want to know why they don't care about that stuff? Because it’s not about you, it’s about them. Let me repeat that sentence – it’s not about you, it’s about them.

In this (short) video, I share a simple formula to help you answer the question like a PRO every single time you hear it cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIE839mwrc

50 Likes 21 Shares

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by jony247(m): 5:22pm On Jan 22, 2016
what about .where do you see yourself in five years time ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by GenoMI: 5:25pm On Jan 22, 2016
Hi Jonathan – In a nutshell, the interviewer wants to learn more about your career goals and how the job you are being interviewed
for fits into your long term plans. He/she wants to know how committed you are to your career, and even the organisation (in case they decide to hire you). So my advice would be to research likely career paths within your profession / the organisation (when you are doing your pre-interview preparation) and then craft your answer along those lines. I hope this helps – I will definitely be doing a video that goes into more detail very soon.

jony247:

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Emeraldcute(f): 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2016
hmmmm
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by jericco1(m): 6:26pm On Jan 22, 2016
It's a priceless piece. Vivid and short.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by essencestore: 7:01pm On Jan 22, 2016
jony247:

Where I see myself in Five Years?

Answer: Playing FIFA 21 cool

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 22, 2016
jony247:
.Just say Your Surname out Loud and Let Him/Her know that you are not related to Nostradamus

15 Likes

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by yinkson(m): 8:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
Grabs seat cool
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by yaso(m): 8:30pm On Jan 22, 2016
abeg mk una get sense talk better thing for here jawe
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by stzy(m): 10:34pm On Jan 22, 2016
U want me 2 enta U tube... Mehn am. Using BIS n U tube aint part of d deal dey cover.

8 Likes

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by teelord1(m): 10:44pm On Jan 22, 2016
You should have type it the perfect answer here if you want to help,this you tube is a long thing abeg I'm managing data.

16 Likes

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by meshacha1: 10:46pm On Jan 22, 2016
Is he trying to gain popularity?

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by adonbilivit: 10:47pm On Jan 22, 2016
best answer: Oga, read my CV.

8 Likes

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by leksmedia: 10:47pm On Jan 22, 2016
This kind of post has made front page like over one million times by now I think all nairalander should be well varsed with this questions
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Rexphobia(m): 10:48pm On Jan 22, 2016
jony247:

Prolly at the other side of the table, occupying your position or maybe pursuing my dreams of being a male lesbian

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by naijagalnxtdoor: 10:49pm On Jan 22, 2016
Cool
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by demarc001: 10:50pm On Jan 22, 2016
I am Demarc001
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by AyamConfidence(m): 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2016
(after going through my c.v, birth cirtificate, waec result, autobiography and even driver's license)

INTERVIEWER: YOUNG MAN, PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF.

ME: SIR, I'M YOUR VILLAGE'S OFFICIAL WINETAPPER AND DRUNKARD...ODE OSHI

#partially_copied

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by demarc001: 10:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
[size=8pt][/size]I am Demarc001[color=]I am Demarc001[/color]I am Demarc001
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by ggrin(f): 10:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
Ask me anything u wanna know bout meundecided

Answering like a boss wink cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by PublicAssurance: 10:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
[size=18pt]If u no fit answer this one then may the almighty help you. Refer to your primary 6 composition essays.[/size]
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Honestly1: 10:55pm On Jan 22, 2016
This is me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2016
jony247:

[size=35pt] try to take over d World [/size]

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Masculity(m): 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2016
leksmedia:
This kind of post has made front page like over one million times by now I think all nairalander should be well varsed with this questions

believe me people face difficulty answering such question. So please educate us more, thanks.
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2016
Interview expo... tell us the answer to What is your greatest weakness?. One of my guys was honest and told the panel that he lacks focus.. he's still jobless

21 Likes

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by neweraomo: 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
What about when they ask my weakness?
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by neweraomo: 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
What about when they ask me,what's my weakness?
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Dindondin(m): 11:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
ok
Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by abumeinben(m): 11:22pm On Jan 22, 2016
Focus on the strengths you have on the job
‬: And ur answer determines the flow of the session. If u drive the questions towards ur strong areas then the entire interview wld stay there

Esp as it relates to the job

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by poshestmina(f): 11:24pm On Jan 22, 2016
adonbilivit:
best answer: Oga, read my CV.

grin grin grin..you harsh ehn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview by Emereolevanwill(m): 11:26pm On Jan 22, 2016
faced that question with all the boldness in the world but still didn't land the job. though Am now working in Nairabet.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Access Bank's Entry Level Training Programme - Tech / Can You Answer These Tricky Job Interview Questions From Apple Inc? / NIRSAL National Microfinance Bank Recruitment (NNMFB)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.