Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? (1889 Views)

Need A Webmaster To Partner With My Record Label / How Can I Trust A Webmaster/web Designer ? / An E-book That Will Make You A Webmaster In No Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by quickygal(f): 1:19pm On Aug 02, 2008
Hey guys, i intend to build and manage websites manage my sites and administer my forums(sites) please what do i need to know to be a webmaster?? which packeges do i need to learn?? please i need help on this!! cool
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by uspry1(f): 2:51am On Aug 14, 2008
@quickgal

Please don't duplicate the same posting.

Oh my gosh, you ask us how you want to become webmaster in charge of 3 things you are dealing with clients who look for hiring webmaster to do the job:

[list]
[li]building, developing, and deploying websites[/li]
[li]managing websites refer to update, maintain, add, modify, or delete site contents[/li]
[li]installing and administrating forum themes/add-on modules. [/li]
[/list]

Doing 3 jobs mention above alone are lot of work---stressfully, if you have great passionate, great artistic creativity, great technical/programming skills, great customer skills, great business proposal writing skills, and great marketing promotions skills! The average webmaster/web developer skills are 3-5 years experience transiting from web designer.

Most non-technical forum administrator like you does not required to become webmaster like that.  There are lot of newbies out there, without HTML or programming/coding knowledge, can buy hosting provider to install their own forum template into their website. It does not mean those newbie are webmaster. NOT NECESSARY!

Starting with schooling or self-taught studying becoming web designer FIRST 2 to 3 years, then later promoting next level becoming webmaster once you excel in web-graphic designing business, hosting provider/reseller, and domain name registration.

Therefore, everyone who are webmasters fluent are not the same!!!

Look at my qualification at below link:
>>my qualifications<<
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by quickygal(f): 8:27pm On Aug 14, 2008
@uspry1
  Thanks for your response, if not for you no one else was yet to dignify my post come naive question with an answer   i do not intend to duplicate my post though (my other post is strictly on how to create and manage a forum, i have the feeling that forum admin do not need to be lords of the web).
  I do not intend to be a guru in web development design and management in order to sell my services to others but ostensibly i want the skills to manage my personal network of sites (though i intend to start with a forum)!!
  since a DUMMY can manage a forum i really wont mind learning on the job over the next few years as i integrate more chllenging site into my network of sites, i am ready to read books-learn tricks-get infos from people i can call friends (like you) albeit internet pals, thanks!!
   Nb
  this topic is not in anyway the same as that of my first post, this is more or less more general!! THANKS A LOT!!
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by quickygal(f): 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2008
@uspry1
i saw your qualifications, more than remarkable, very sound, i couldnt help but go through the rest of the thread and guess what? i was more than impressed. by the way though this has nothing to do with computers, 1. how do i learn deaf signs and is there a universal deaf language or the american version is different, i would prefer the uk version if thats the case, please i would like to get ebooks on deaf signs i really want to learn and if there are softwares as well please i wont mind getting some from you thanks.
back to the topic- i still want to become a webmaster, not commercial per se but to handle my personal sites, (i dont need clents)
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by uspry1(f): 11:28pm On Aug 14, 2008
@quickgal

1. sign language is a universal language around the world. American sign language is lot different than British sign language, French sign language, German sign language, Chinese sign language, and every other country sign language, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

2. use google.com finding visual (video) sign language CD as well as online sign language, books depend which language you want to learn. Few deaf Africans like deaf Lagosians use American sign language, because of our first deaf American-African from USA church deaf ministry early 1970s came to Africa helping out poor deaf Africans to educate them learning the bible as well as general education for deaf Africa students---i don't remember which country but I strongly believe in Nigeria. His name is Andrew Foster. Of course, you will use google finding the history of Andrew Foster more details.

Unfortunately his tragedy death in plane crash, but his deaf ministry teaching deaf African students still has not stop---still alive today thru private USA non-profit organization to continue honor his dream ALIVE!!

@topic
Sure, you of course, can become solo webmaster handling your own personal site thru the same web development courses basically for webmaster/web designer.

Either course can be 3-days boot camp training seminar, 3 weeks/1 month/3 months/6 months/18 months crash (accelerated) courses or go 2-years/4-years traditionally or online college depend on what it has offers you want to learn.

I took 18 months Bachelor distance schooling instead of 4-years traditional college in order to re-polish my 1999 web development certification I already passed the web competency exam to be replaced for higher degree for USA companies' job description of web developer/webmaster required---Bachelor degree.

Most largest companies as well as Government in the USA will not accept web development certifications as well as MSCE certification but prefer college degrees with 3-5 working experiences required.
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by quickygal(f): 2:23am On Aug 15, 2008
@ uspry
   thanks i will use google to get the sign education, i have always wanted to learn. i will find out which version is in the curriculum in nigeria at present.you are a living inspiration. thanks
@topic
    perhaps i will also try out some of the things you mentioned, its better to be educated and have an idea of the thing and have commercial webmasters handle only  very complex details if the need arise. thanks.
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by chessguru(m): 5:10am On Aug 18, 2008
@ All
To get a site, must one buy a domain name? cant i just coin up some name and use it??
after that what next??
Re: WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A WEBMASTER?? by wadel: 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2008
Being a webmaster is determination. There are a lot of things to learn. Website Development has more to do with just designing. There are many package or software that will teach you how to design website in minute. But in order to become a professional webmaster, you need to know the following package dreamweaver, PHP, Coldfusion or ASP.net. This will give you edge over other designer because you will automatically become a developer instead of designer. If you need my help, I will be glad to help you out. Call me so that i can send you different books on web development. 08050200894 or mail@ wadelwealth@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Need To Let Internet Users Connect To My Wampserver / Adsense Not Showing On My Site, Solution? / Nigeria Bloggers Forumn On Whatsapp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.