Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,211 members, 7,815,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

The Origin Of Christmas - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Origin Of Christmas (704 Views)

The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas / Pictures Of Christmas Day Bomb Blast In Catholic Church / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of Christmas by hsapien: 9:35am On Dec 23, 2013
Christmas is a holiday shared and celebrated by many religions.
It is a day that has an effect on the entire world.

To many people, it is a favorite time of the year involving gift giving, parties and feasting. Christmas is a holiday that unifies almost all of professing Christendom.

The spirit of Christmas causes people to decorate their homes and churches, cut down trees and bring them into their homes, decking them with silver and gold.

In the light of that tree, families make merry and give gifts one to another.

When the sun goes down on December 24th, and darkness covers the land, families and churches prepare for participation in customs such as burning the yule log, singing around the decorated tree, kissing under the mistletoe and holly, and attending a late night service or midnight mass.

What is the meaning of Christmas? Where did the customs and traditions originate?

You, as a Christian, would want to worship the Lord in Spirit and in truth, discerning good from evil.

The truth is that all of the customs of Christmas pre-date the birth of Jesus Christ, and a study of this would reveal that
Christmas in our day is a collection of traditions and practices taken from many cultures and nations.

The date of December 25th comes from Rome and was a celebration of the Italic god, Saturn, and the rebirth of the sun god.

This was done long before the birth of Jesus.

It was noted by the pre-Christian Romans and other pagans, that daylight began to increase after December 22nd, when they assumed that the sun god died.

These ancients believed that the sun god rose from the dead three days later as the new-born and venerable sun.

Thus, they figured that to be the reason for increasing daylight.

This was a cause for much wild excitement and celebration. Gift giving and merriment filled the temples of ancient Rome, as sacred priests of Saturn, called dendrophori, carried wreaths of evergreen boughs in procession.

In Germany, the evergreen tree was used in worship and celebration of the yule god, also in observance of the resurrected sun god.

The evergreen tree was a symbol of the essence of life and was regarded as a phallic symbol in fertility worship.

Witches and other pagans regarded the red holly as a symbol of the menstrual blood of the queen of heaven, also known as Diana.

The holly wood was used by witches to make wands.

The white berries of mistletoe were believed by pagans to represent droplets of the semen of the sun god.

Both holly and mistletoe were hung in doorways of temples and homes to invoke powers of fertility in those who stood beneath and kissed, causing the spirits of the god and goddess to enter them.

These customs transcended the borders of Rome and Germany to the far reaches of the known world.

The question now arises: How did all of these customs find their way into contemporary Christianity, ranging from Catholicism to Protestantism to fundamentalist churches?

The word "Christmas"itself reveals who married paganism to Christianity.

The word "Christmas" is a combination of the words "Christ" and "Mass.

The word "Mass" means death and was coined originally by the Roman Catholic Church, and belongs exclusively to the church of Rome.

The ritual of the Mass involves the death of Christ, and the distribution of the "Host", a word taken from the Latin word "hostiall" meaning victim!

In short, Christmas is strictly a Roman Catholic word.

A simple study of the tactics of the Romish Church reveals that in every case, the church absorbed the customs, traditions and general paganism of every tribe, culture and nation in their efforts to increase the number of people under their control.

In short, the Romish church told all of these pagan cultures, "Bring your gods, goddesses, rituals and rites, and we will assign Christian sounding titles and names to them.

When Martin Luther started the reformation on October 31st, 1517, and other reformers followed his lead, all of them took with them the paganism that was so firmly imbedded in Rome.

These reformers left Christmas intact.

In England, as the authorized Bible became available to the common people by the decree of King James the II in 1611, people began to discover the pagan roots of Christmas, which are clearly revealed in Scripture.

The Puritans in England, and later in Massachusetts Colony, outlawed this holiday as witchcraft.

Near the end of the nineteenth century, when other Bible versions began to appear, there was a revival of the celebration of Christmas.

We are now seeing ever-increasing celebrating of Christmas or Yule, its true name, as we draw closer to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ!

In both witchcraft circles and contemporary Christian churches, the same things are going on.

As the Bible clearly states in Jeremiah 10:2-4, "Thus saith the Lord, learn not the way of the heathen; and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven. For the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain. For one cutteth a tree out of the forest. The work of the hands of the workman with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold. They fasten it with nails and with hammers that it move not."

So, what is wrong with Christmas?

1. To say that Jesus was born on December 25th is a lie! The true date is sometime in September according to the Scriptures.

2. Trees, wreaths, holly, mistletoe and the like are strictly forbidden as pagan and heathen! To say that these are Christian or that they can be made Christian is a lie!

3. The Lord never spoke of commemorating his birth but rather commanded us to remember the sacrifice of His suffering and death, which purchased our salvation.

Think about it! Can we worship and honor God by involving ourselves with customs and traditions, which God Himself forbade as idolatry? Can we convince God to somehow "Christianize" these customs and the whole pretense and lie of Christmas, so we can enjoy ourselves? Can we obey through disobedience?

Many who are excitedly preparing for their Christmas celebrations would prefer not knowing about the holiday’s real significance. If they do know the history, they often object that their celebration has nothing to do with the holiday’s monstrous history and meaning. “We are just having fun.”

So what is right about Christmas?
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by obeenah40(m): 9:40am On Dec 23, 2013
shut up jare @op mod plz put on fp so this op get some good bashing
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by Basic(m): 9:53am On Dec 23, 2013
@OP, you've been factual, but get ready for some hot bashing, especially if this makes FP.
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 23, 2013
Awww
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by roqchiq(f): 10:35am On Dec 23, 2013
hmmm OP guess you have joined Kumuiyi in his believe.

just out of curioisity let me ask a question..''do you attend church on sunday or saturday''

There's something most people tend to forget about Christianity, this religion has a lot of tradition entwined with it. You cannot accept a religion without accepting its attendant tradition. It just won't work, and you'll end up questioning the said religion's practises. Ask the muslims, the pagans, whatever religion you decide to follow you have to accept its traditions, if you can't do that drop it and pick another one.

The Catholics brought you the Bible (not scriptures oo), and by extension Christianity (if am wrong, please show me another religion that has claims to the origin of bible and/or christianity).
The protestants, protested the catholic practises and adapted varying versions for themselves, each as it suits them. Now all those splinter groups are floundering in a mire created by unbelief, doubts and displacement. They don't know where they belong, so they repeatedly attempt to drag others down with them.

Faith is a powerful thing, whatever you believe in, do it completely and fully, don't entertain doubts, and it'll work for you.

If you are a christian, and you don't want to celebrate the birth of ''The Christ'', (no matter what date), then you don't believe you have been saved. You can join judaism (with all due respect to the religion), and keep waiting for your own savior.

P.S; Christmas is a period of joy, it marks the beginning of our journey of salvation, its not all about giving gifts or partying, its about making room in your heart and home for Christ to be born anew. Its about remebering that you are one of the saved. The Catholic church celebrates Advent before christmas, a period of expectancy, we are expected to prepare during advent, repent of our sins, clean our hearts, mend our ways, be at peace with one another, submit to the will of God (like Joseph and Mary did), so that when Christ is born, our hearts will be the manger, our lives the gifts we give Him. Then we would spread the love, joy and peace, only He can give.

MERRY CHRISTMAS FRIENDS!!!

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Christmas by originalking1(m): 11:40am On Dec 23, 2013
roqchiq: hmmm OP
guess you have joined Kumuiyi in his believe.

just out of curioisity let me ask a question..''do you attend church on
sunday or saturday''

There's something most people tend to forget about Christianity, this
religion has a lot of tradition entwined with it. You cannot accept a
religion without accepting its attendant tradition. It just won't work,
and you'll end up questioning the said religion's practises. Ask the
muslims, the pagans, whatever religion you decide to follow you have to
accept its traditions, if you can't do that drop it and pick another
one.

The Catholics brought you the Bible (not scriptures oo), and by
extension Christianity (if am wrong, please show me another religion
that has claims to the origin of bible and/or christianity).
The protestants, protested the catholic practises and adapted varying
versions for themselves, each as it suits them. Now all those splinter
groups are floundering in a mire created by unbelief, doubts and
displacement. They don't know where they belong, so they repeatedly
attempt to drag others down with them.

Faith is a powerful thing, whatever you believe in, do it completely and
fully, don't entertain doubts, and it'll work for you.

If you are a christian, and you don't want to celebrate the birth of
''The Christ'', (no matter what date), then you don't believe you have
been saved. You can join judaism (with all due respect to the religion),
and keep waiting for your own savior.

P.S; Christmas is a period of joy, it marks the beginning of our
journey of salvation, its not all about giving gifts or partying, its
about making room in your heart and home for Christ to be born anew. Its
about remebering that you are one of the saved. The Catholic church
celebrates Advent before christmas, a period of expectancy, we are
expected to prepare during advent, repent of our sins, clean our hearts,
mend our ways, be at peace with one another, submit to the will of God
(like Joseph and Mary did), so that when Christ is born, our hearts will
be the manger, our lives the gifts we give Him. Then we would spread
the love, joy and peace, only He can give.

bros in as much as i hate roman catholic cos of deir ways of worship, sentiments cant becloud my judgement. you hav just delivered d lecture of d year.
from d depth of my heart i love n agree wit you. yes their are still more to christmas dat has not been seen or heard. i truely advise people not to be an island in a time like dis. if not for any oder tin but for d fact dat u n i are alive n healthy to see d end of d year is enough to celebrate it. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR D WISE. MERRY XMAS TO YOU ALL. ENJOY RESPONSIBLY.
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by hsapien: 11:51am On Dec 23, 2013
roqchiq: hmmm OP guess you have joined Kumuiyi in his believe.

just out of curioisity let me ask a question..''do you attend church on sunday or saturday''

There's something most people tend to forget about Christianity, this religion has a lot of tradition entwined with it. You cannot accept a religion without accepting its attendant tradition. It just won't work, and you'll end up questioning the said religion's practises. Ask the muslims, the pagans, whatever religion you decide to follow you have to accept its traditions, if you can't do that drop it and pick another one.

The Catholics brought you the Bible (not scriptures oo), and by extension Christianity (if am wrong, please show me another religion that has claims to the origin of bible and/or christianity).
The protestants, protested the catholic practises and adapted varying versions for themselves, each as it suits them. Now all those splinter groups are floundering in a mire created by unbelief, doubts and displacement. They don't know where they belong, so they repeatedly attempt to drag others down with them.

Faith is a powerful thing, whatever you believe in, do it completely and fully, don't entertain doubts, and it'll work for you.

If you are a christian, and you don't want to celebrate the birth of ''The Christ'', (no matter what date), then you don't believe you have been saved. You can join judaism (with all due respect to the religion), and keep waiting for your own savior.

P.S; Christmas is a period of joy, it marks the beginning of our journey of salvation, its not all about giving gifts or partying, its about making room in your heart and home for Christ to be born anew. Its about remebering that you are one of the saved. The Catholic church celebrates Advent before christmas, a period of expectancy, we are expected to prepare during advent, repent of our sins, clean our hearts, mend our ways, be at peace with one another, submit to the will of God (like Joseph and Mary did), so that when Christ is born, our hearts will be the manger, our lives the gifts we give Him. Then we would spread the love, joy and peace, only He can give.

Christianity is not a religion as u claim, but a way of life which was in Christ Jesus. The term Christian first came into use sometimes after 44 CE. It was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians. (Acts 11:26) Note that those called Christians were Christ's disciples. What makes a person a disciple of Jesus Crist? Following Jesus as a disciple means the unconditional sacrifice of one's whole life. A true Christian, therefore, is one who follows the teachings and instructions of Jesus, the founder of Christianity, totally and unconditionally. Can u point to me any portion of the scripture where Christ instructed us to celebrate Christmas? Or a place where it is stated in the bible that the early Christians celebrated Christmas? I strongly believe that anything in existence has an origin and if I may ask u what is the origin of Christmas? And if Christ did not instruct us to celebrate Christmas, who did? I am not saying that those who celebrate Christmas are sinners, because I don't have the power to judge, my point is considering how it originated, is it worth celebrating by christians?
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by hsapien: 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2013
original king1:

bros in as much as i hate roman catholic cos of deir ways of worship, sentiments cant becloud my judgement. you hav just delivered d lecture of d year.
from d depth of my heart i love n agree wit you. yes their are still more to christmas dat has not been seen or heard. i truely advise people not to be an island in a time like dis. if not for any oder tin but for d fact dat u n i are alive n healthy to see d end of d year is enough to celebrate it. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR D WISE. MERRY XMAS TO YOU ALL. ENJOY RESPONSIBLY.
Does the origin of things matter to you? Jesus never commanded Christians to celebrate his birth. Rather he told his disciples to memorialize his death (Luke 22:19, 20) Christmas and its customs come from ancient false religions. The early Christians did not celebrate Christmas.
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by hsapien: 12:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
obeenah40: shut up jare @op mod plz put on fp so this op get some good bashing
the bashing can only be good when there are scriptural backups.
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by obeenah40(m): 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2013
hsapien:
the bashing can only be good when there are scriptural backups.

Nonsense!! And at the end of the day you'll still celebrate d Christmas youve spoken against. Mstcheew
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by OlaoChi: 1:11pm On Dec 23, 2013
Christmas has never been about Jesus, Santa claus(Saint Nicholas) is the star of the show not even any Sun God
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by OlaoChi: 1:15pm On Dec 23, 2013
hsapien:
Does the origin of things matter to you? Jesus never commanded Christians to celebrate his birth. Rather he told his disciples to memorialize his death (Luke 22:19, 20) Christmas and its customs come from ancient false religions. The early Christians did not celebrate Christmas.

He never told his disciples to memorialize his death either. Easter is also another Roman Holiday and not Jesus death and resurrection

Nothing is known about this Jesus
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by hsapien: 1:46pm On Dec 23, 2013
OlaoChi:

He never told his disciples to memorialize his death either. Easter is also another Roman Holiday and not Jesus death and resurrection

[b][/b]Nothing is known about this Jesus
are u a Christian?
Re: The Origin Of Christmas by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 23, 2013
Forget Kumuyi.. read your Bible and tell me you still believe Christmas Celebrates Jesus Christ.

Jeremiah 10

King James Version (KJV)

10 Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

(1) (Reply)

Tribalism, Favouritism & Nepotism: A Sin Or Not? / From Pastor E.A. Adeboye / Isis Advice Boko Haram On Tactics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.