Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas (13162 Views)

The Religious Mind? / Be An Atheist For Twelve Days / Symbolism,Satanism,Illuminati,and Mind Control in Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by xynerise: 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2013
"The Twelve Days of Christmas" is an English Christmas carol that enumerates a series of increasingly grand gifts given on each of the twelve days of Christmasin the manner of a cumulative song. The song, first published in England in 1780 without music as a chant or rhyme, is thought to be French in origin. It has a Roud Folk Song Indexnumber of 68. The tunes of collected version vary. The standard tune now associated with it is derived from a 1909 arrangement of the traditional folk melody by English composer Frederic Austin, who first introduced the now familiar prolongation of the verse "five gold rings".

When are the Twelve Days of Christmas?

The Twelve Days of Christmas start with Christmas Day and ends with the eve of Epiphany on January 5th. The Twelve Days of Christmas dates back to English origins in the sixteenth century although the music is reputed to be French. The first publication date for The Twelve Days of Christmas (The 12 Days of Christmas) was 1780.

What is the religious symbolism of the 12 days of Christmas?
Here is one rendition on what the religious symbolism is for the Twelve Days of Christmas:
1 True Love refers to God
2 Turtle Doves refers to the Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens refers to Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
4 Calling Birds refers to the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings refers to the first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace.
6 Geese A-laying refers to the six days of creation
7 Swans A-swimming refers to the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8 Maids A-milking refers to the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing refers to the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-leaping refers to the ten commandments
11 Pipers Piping refers to the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming refers to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed
Source: http://www.carols.org.uk/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Days_of_Christmas_(song)

24 Likes

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Danhumprey: 1:32pm On Dec 24, 2013
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 25, 2013
Pls how do i change my bbm status?

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by PointBlank13(m): 12:29pm On Dec 25, 2013
op what happens to the first day of christmas?
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by petreli08: 12:29pm On Dec 25, 2013
Cool
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by 24in7: 12:31pm On Dec 25, 2013
ok
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by SugaryBelle(f): 12:32pm On Dec 25, 2013
I've always wondered about that,well,now i know.

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by obeenah40(m): 12:33pm On Dec 25, 2013
ok. dey dont include goat sha.
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Google63(m): 12:33pm On Dec 25, 2013
Lovely
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Mannylex(m): 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2013
I see...
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2013
Happy Birthday to My Lord Jesus Christ.!!!!
Merry Christmas to You all.....!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by GodpassU: 12:35pm On Dec 25, 2013
We don hear..... Wat of sandalili n solomon grandy??

2 Likes

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by homesteady(m): 12:35pm On Dec 25, 2013
One of my best christmas songs! But I never knew the meaning grin
Now I know smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 25, 2013
First to comment

End time Tins

GEJ is not working

# team tonto dike
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by satowind(m): 12:38pm On Dec 25, 2013
Merry xmas my people

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Genea(f): 12:39pm On Dec 25, 2013
Nice post,on point.nw i get 2 be among the comment list.praise god.xmas tinx
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by naijabadoo(m): 12:40pm On Dec 25, 2013
[qoute]at where ?[/qoute]

?
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by freda506(f): 12:40pm On Dec 25, 2013
nice!
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by AbuMikey(m): 12:40pm On Dec 25, 2013

Nice one, Uncle Xynerise.
Merry Christmas smiley

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by xynerise: 12:42pm On Dec 25, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Nice one, Uncle Xynerise.
Merry Christmas smiley

I wish you same bro cool
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by naijabadoo(m): 12:42pm On Dec 25, 2013
naijabadoo: [qoute]at where ?[/qoute]

?
lol
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Obaiyski(m): 12:45pm On Dec 25, 2013
I dey come, This fowl still dey play us and no resting till it gets down....

5 Likes

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Genea(f): 12:46pm On Dec 25, 2013
kiss dis a nice one,neva knew until now,tnx dearie
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by ogbonge9grian: 12:48pm On Dec 25, 2013
bbpreye.:
see wetin techno bbm de cause. Mtcheeeeeeewww

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by ARareGem(f): 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2013
Interesting. smiley
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by SammyT95(m): 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2013
I PRAY OO
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by ibiso1986: 12:55pm On Dec 25, 2013
Mods, its xmas day, let's make nairaland interesting today. put this topic(Port harcourt carnival) on the front page.. www.nairaland.com/1568062/photos-port-harcourt-carnival-carniriv
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by phayvoursky(m): 12:56pm On Dec 25, 2013
bbpreye.:

check bbm user manual

1 Like

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 25, 2013
Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
satowind: Merry xmas my people

You know you are cursed right? Its either you lacked love since childhood or the Nurses dropped you and you landed on your head at birth. Naso You Go Take All Your Pictures They Full Nairaland!! Why would you always want to take away people's happiness? Why will you fill every goddamm thread with your cashew head? Remember that December twelve has passed. Today is Christ's birthday and not your own.... Please stop all these your showcasing of Mango like head with 450 V neck and 1,000 naira Chinose! Ugly Thing!!

3 Likes

Re: The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas by destino24(m): 1:10pm On Dec 25, 2013
GodpassU: We don hear..... Wat of sandalili n solomon grandy??

STANDARD LIVING not sandalili

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Be A Genuine Christian, Please Read! Don't Go To Hell Fire / Is Your Income Being Investigated By Your Pastor? / Do Pastors Fall Sick?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.